Old 04-11-2021, 10:29 AM   #1
Edgemeal
Human being with feelings

Default v6.27 - April 11 2021

v6.27 - April 11 2021
+ Dither: fix half-bit DC offset [p=2425940]
+ FX: add option to not add undo points when closing FX windows [t=250733]
+ FX: improve pin connector window
+ FX: fix persistence of take FX processing channel count when processing only 2 channels on a track with more than 2 channels
+ JSFX: add Channel Mapper-Downmixer plugin
+ JSFX: add option in pin connector dialog I/O menu to pass through or zero out unused output channels
+ JSFX: support drawing vertical text via gfx_setfont flag 'z' (does not work with system/bitmapped font)
+ JSFX: allow Webdings/Wingdings for gfx_setfont() use on Windows [twtr=1376339905408815106]
+ macOS: add prefs/general/advanced option for window fullscreen button to activate fullscreen rather than OS fullscreen
+ macOS: add prefs/general/advanced options for rounded buttons and big sur listview margins
+ macOS: disable macOS 10.12+ Window tabbing menu items
+ Media item channel mapper: control/command-click a mapping to set exclusively for that channel
+ Media items: add action to set channel mapping for selected media items
+ MIDI: output multiple note-offs for the same channel/pitch if there are multiple sequential note-ons
+ Project time offset: preserve maximum resolution when setting project time offset to edit cursor position [p=2428360]
+ ReaScript: support drawing vertical text via gfx_setfont flag 'z' (does not work with system/bitmapped font)
+ ReaScript: allow Webdings/Wingdings for gfx_setfont() use on Windows [twtr=1376339905408815106]
+ ReaScript: correct documentation for Set/GetMasterTrackVisibility
+ ReaTune: fix potential crash with certain parameter settings and UI open [t=251553]
+ Render: resolve $samplerate wildcard correctly when mixing at one sample rate but rendering to another [t=249713]
+ TCP FX List: fix multi-column scroll extent issue [t=245850]
+ Timeline: truncate seconds and samples display rather than rounding, for consistency with H:M:S and H:M:S:F display
+ Timeline: when displaying minutes:seconds and a project start offset exists, center ruler major tick marks on project time zero rather than the start of the timeline
+ Track manager: display track channel count
+ VST: add I/O menu item in FX pin connector dialog to increase host channel count to match plugin
+ VST: add option in pin connector dialog I/O menu to pass through or zero out unused output channels
+ VST: cache VST3 parameter/bus/latency information for improved performance with yabridge and plug-ins
+ VST: improve behavior when VST3 plug-ins call restartComponent(kReloadComponent)
+ VST: more flexible support for passing MIDI program change messages to VST3 [t=251104]

Last edited by Edgemeal; 04-11-2021 at 10:35 AM.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:15 AM   #2
ferropop

Are these passthrough/zero-out options at all related/usable in blocking channels 3/4, 5/6... from outputting to parent?

ie, if you're in the INSTRUMENTAL bus and are sidechaining things to each other on 3/4, those 3/4 signals "collect" on the 3/4 of the INSTRUMENTAL (parent) bus. This is sort of useless, and actually creates a problem because now if you're wanting to say, sidechain compress the entire INSTRUMENTAL bus to the Kick you have to now use 5/6 needlessly, as 3/4 is taken up unnecessarily by the 3/4s of all the children combined.

Last edited by ferropop; 04-11-2021 at 01:51 PM.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:19 AM   #3
ferropop

Honestly I can't think of a scenario where it's even useful to have 3/4, 5/6 (etc) outputting to parent, let alone it being by default.

Last edited by ferropop; 04-11-2021 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:33 PM   #4
pepe44

Not yet available public ? or is it another RC ?
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:29 PM   #5
rstockm

+ macOS: add prefs/general/advanced options for rounded buttons and big sur listview margins

Oh. Wow. Didn't see THAT coming, after all these years.

This is SO MUCH BETTER, thx.
rstockm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:37 PM   #6
swiiscompos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe44 View Post
Not yet available public ? or is it another RC ?
It's normal procedure for new releases. They will probably make it public tomorrow.
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:29 PM   #7
fakemaxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Honestly I can't think of a scenario where it's even useful to have 3/4, 5/6 (etc) outputting to parent, let alone it being by default.
Any multichannel work is going to have 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, etc outputting to parent/master by default. You can create a new preset, routed however you like, and "Save Preset as Default" to have it load like that every time.
fakemaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:42 PM   #8
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakemaxwell View Post
Any multichannel work is going to have 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, etc outputting to parent/master by default. You can create a new preset, routed however you like, and "Save Preset as Default" to have it load like that every time.
Yeah that's an interesting solution - could bake-in 3/4, 5/6 disconnected specifically on "side-chainey" plugins (Soothe, etc).

Still does raise the question - why pass 3/4, 5/6 to parent by default? I can't really think of a single use case, which might suggest it's bad default behaviour. Just throwing it out there.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:07 PM   #9
rstockm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstockm View Post
Oh. Wow. Didn't see THAT coming, after all these years.
This is SO MUCH BETTER, thx.
On second thought: I would strongly suggest to have set these options "on" as the preset. MacOS is all about consistency, and every little step helps REAPER to feel less like an "Intruder".
rstockm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:16 PM   #10
nofish

Quote:
Still does raise the question - why pass 3/4, 5/6 to parent by default? I can't really think of a single use case, which might suggest it's bad default behaviour. Just throwing it out there.
fakemaxwell mentioned it already, the users working with multichannel (> 2 channels) items would probably be annoyed if channels above 1+2 would suddenly be silent I guess.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:01 PM   #11
fakemaxwell

Quote:
Yeah that's an interesting solution - could bake-in 3/4, 5/6 disconnected specifically on "side-chainey" plugins (Soothe, etc).

Yes, the use case is multichannel work. 5.1, 7.1, any kind of atmos, quad mixing, etc etc etc will all have 3/4, 5/6, whatever you want passing to the parent, on every track/bus that's outputting to the master.

I'd say about half of my most used plugins have non-default presets set to the default, for different pin concepts, various MIDI routing and CCs, etc. Set and forget.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:22 PM   #12
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstockm View Post
On second thought: I would strongly suggest to have set these options "on" as the preset. MacOS is all about consistency, and every little step helps REAPER to feel less like an "Intruder".
I agree.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:55 AM   #13
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
fakemaxwell mentioned it already, the users working with multichannel (> 2 channels) items would probably be annoyed if channels above 1+2 would suddenly be silent I guess.
Old projects that use the almost classical "3+4" method for Sidechaining and gating will have their projects changed?
Old 04-12-2021, 02:44 AM   #14
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
v6.27 - April 11 2021
+ ReaScript: support drawing vertical text via gfx_setfont flag 'z' (does not work with system/bitmapped font)
Just been testing this out - working ok to draw the text vertically but gfx.measurestr doesn't seem to return the correct height for the rotated text - I always get the same value for both w and h values (the width of the rectangle they fill - but not the correct height).

I might be doing something wrong? - but I don't think so.

Win64.
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 03:55 AM   #15
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
+ macOS: add prefs/general/advanced option for window fullscreen button to activate fullscreen rather than OS fullscreen
+ macOS: disable macOS 10.12+ Window tabbing menu items
Wonderful to see you devs also dedicate a little time once in a while to such "cosmetic" improvements to make Reaper more consistent on macOS!

I notice when the rounded buttons option is active the text inside the buttons is not really centered (tends towards the top). Maybe worth a fix? Still looks way better this way than with the option off.

Btw, related to making Reaper more consistent with macOS, this FR is very important in my opinion. I hope you will consider it at some point: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=251592
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:14 AM   #16
ivansc

Lovely! Today is my wife`s birthday & we now have a new Reaper version especially for her!
Old 04-12-2021, 08:30 AM   #17
fakemaxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
Old projects that use the almost classical "3+4" method for Sidechaining and gating will have their projects changed?
Where did you get this idea?
Old 04-12-2021, 08:34 AM   #18
schwa
Administrator

I'm not sure where this discussion came from, but nothing has changed with respect to how sidechaining, parent sends, etc are handled, and nothing has changed about how existing projects play back.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:36 AM   #19
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I'm not sure where this discussion came from, but nothing has changed with respect to how sidechaining, parent sends, etc are handled, and nothing has changed about how existing projects play back.
Quote:
Are these passthrough/zero-out options at all related/usable in blocking channels 3/4, 5/6... from outputting to parent?
Asked the above.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:05 PM   #20
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Code:
ReaScript: support drawing vertical text via gfx_setfont flag 'z' (does not work with system/bitmapped font)
I couldn't find it in the docs when updating my ones, did I miss it somewhere?

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:12 PM   #21
deeb

^^
super motivated meo! I guess you were too fast , but is just a guess cause i have no idea
Old 04-12-2021, 03:38 PM   #22
EpicSounds

The update video

https://youtu.be/xB29ROQI7Ao

Old 04-12-2021, 03:44 PM   #23
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
The update video
Nice job as always.

BTW the glue/time selection changes affect what happens when there is a time selection that is shorter than the items being glued. Previously, a time selection would only affect glued items if the time selection was longer than the selected items, in which case the glued item would be padded with silence to match the time selection. But if the time selection was shorter than the selected items, it would be ignored. In that situation, the new glue behavior will split the selected items at the time selection to create a new glued item that matches the time selection length.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:03 PM   #24
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Nice job as always.

BTW the glue/time selection changes affect what happens when there is a time selection that is shorter than the items being glued. Previously, a time selection would only affect glued items if the time selection was longer than the selected items, in which case the glued item would be padded with silence to match the time selection. But if the time selection was shorter than the selected items, it would be ignored. In that situation, the new glue behavior will split the selected items at the time selection to create a new glued item that matches the time selection length.
That section felt off to me when I was working on it. Like I was missing something.

There was one action that didn't glue at all.

In my testing yesterday it seemed like the context menu actions were working opposite to the action list of same name.

I'll add your comment to the blog post to clarify the changes.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:15 AM   #25
AZpercussion

Quote:

ie, if you're in the INSTRUMENTAL bus and are sidechaining things to each other on 3/4, those 3/4 signals "collect" on the 3/4 of the INSTRUMENTAL (parent) bus. This is sort of useless, and actually creates a problem because now if you're wanting to say, sidechain compress the entire INSTRUMENTAL bus to the Kick you have to now use 5/6 needlessly, as 3/4 is taken up unnecessarily by the 3/4s of all the children combined.
Yes, option to passthrogh/zero out can help you to avoid getting side-chain signal from children track on parent track.
But it should be zero out by default, of course.
Or we should have an option to choose what default we prefer.

I recently thought about side-chain and suggested a feature in the reasurround prerealise thread. It isn't your point, but related.

It would be useful to have an option in project settings, which choose channels for auto side-chain send (when we dragging I/O button to the plugin window).
And plugins side-chain pins should respect this option automatically.

So, for 5.1 projects we could use channels 7/8 by default.
For 7.1 - 9/10 ch etc...
AZpercussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:35 AM   #26
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZpercussion View Post
Yes, option to passthrogh/zero out can help you to avoid getting side-chain signal from children track on parent track.
But it should be zero out by default, of course.
Or we should have an option to choose what default we prefer.

I recently thought about side-chain and suggested a feature in the reasurround prerealise thread. It isn't your point, but related.

It would be useful to have an option in project settings, which choose channels for auto side-chain send (when we dragging I/O button to the plugin window).
And plugins side-chain pins should respect this option automatically.

So, for 5.1 projects we could use channels 7/8 by default.
For 7.1 - 9/10 ch etc...
Makes sense !

Yeah like, last thing I'd want is to break functionality for people using things as-is.

...just seems strange, no? It appeases what is probably a tiny fraction of people, as a default behaviour. You'd think that sending 3/4+ to parent would be the exception not the rule?
Old 04-13-2021, 05:41 AM   #27
ferropop

Every other DAW has the "sidechain source" selector directly on the receiving plugin itself. You tell the plugin "Listen to x as the sidechain source" vs in Reaper "Send this track to the sidechain of x". A minor difference but interesting in terms of workflow.

I'm not sure if that means you can tap sidechain PER-PLUGIN (anywhere in the chain) or if internally it's just routing to the sidechain of the entire track, just bringing ideas up as they seem to be on the devs' palette.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:45 AM   #28
vitalker

Quote:
...just seems strange, no? It appeases what is probably a tiny fraction of people, as a default behaviour. You'd think that sending 3/4+ to parent would be the exception not the rule?
Absolutely, it should be an exception.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:03 AM   #29
AZpercussion

Quote:
Hmm, I don't understand the question.
All that I mean: let user to choose what channel pair need use by default for side-chain.
For music project 3/4 is good default.
AZpercussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:21 AM   #30
maxdembo

Quote:
Every other DAW has the "sidechain source" selector directly on the receiving plugin itself. You tell the plugin "Listen to x as the sidechain source" vs in Reaper "Send this track to the sidechain of x". A minor difference but interesting in terms of workflow.
One is grammatically way more simple to grasp than the other too.

But then I'm autistic and get grammatically confused very easily
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:12 AM   #31
deeb

deleted.

Last edited by deeb; 04-13-2021 at 08:03 AM.
deeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:52 AM   #32
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
with the implode functionality , Maybe it's time for a solution for this? maybe could be optional, or a new modifier for imploding for case 1* ?
Are you sure that's a proper thread? This release doesn't contatin lanes feature.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:03 AM   #33
deeb

^^
ops you right! thank you!
deeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:15 AM   #34
fakemaxwell

Quote:
Pro Tools, Nuendo, Cubase all operate as "send track to sidechain of X". Reaper can send to or receive from, both options are available in the routing dialogue.

I guess I'm really not seeing what you're talking about as far as a bad default behavior, even in a stereo setup. All of my sidechain capable plugins are working exactly as they have been. Do you have an example of what adverse behavior you're experiencing?
Old 04-13-2021, 09:56 AM   #35
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakemaxwell View Post
Pro Tools, Nuendo, Cubase all operate as "send track to sidechain of X". Reaper can send to or receive from, both options are available in the routing dialogue.

I guess I'm really not seeing what you're talking about as far as a bad default behavior, even in a stereo setup. All of my sidechain capable plugins are working exactly as they have been. Do you have an example of what adverse behavior you're experiencing?
This was just a sidenote and also untrue : https://youtu.be/MD4lcreHEHI?t=38
...same with Ableton, you have the plugin open and decide "i want to engage the sidechain" so from the plugin itself you choose the source.

My main point had to do with 3/4, 5/6 automatically sending to parent is a default behaviour that is counterproductive to probably 99% of users.

Imagine an INSTRUMENTAL bus...

INST BUS:

== Track 1 : BASS (send to 3/4 of SAW-PAD)
== Track 2 : SAW-PAD (rcv from 1/2 of BASS)

BASS is routed to 3/4 of SAW-PAD to dynamically pull all the low end out with Oeksound Soothe2 (sidechain).

All fine and dandy...BUT, the 3/4 of SAW-PAD is by default now sending itself to 3/4 of INST BUS! (parent)

This means that if I wanted to do something with 3/4 of INST BUS (ie, sidechain it to the kick), it is now cluttered by the 3/4 sends of All the children tracks combined, and you have to use 5/6 as your "clean sidechain". 3/4 of the parent is essentially wasted.

And all my point is - is that other than multichannel work, I can't imagine a scenario where you'd want to collect the 3/4 of all the children tracks. And that makes it odd default behaviour to me.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:39 AM   #36
ferropop

^ like this is all good i guess and not even the place for this discussion - this all started because I was asking if:

+ JSFX/VST: add option in pin connector dialog I/O menu to pass through or zero out unused output channels

had anything to do with what I'm describing.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:52 AM   #37
nofish

Quote:
My main point had to do with 3/4, 5/6 automatically sending to parent is a default behaviour that is counterproductive to probably 99% of users.

(...)

And all my point is - is that other than multichannel work, I can't imagine a scenario where you'd want to collect the 3/4 of all the children tracks. And that makes it odd default behaviour to me.
But how can you know (edit: or rather assume for that matter) how much of the users actually use Reaper for multichannel work?
E.g. there's currently work on a new ReaSurround (ReaSurroundPan) I guess that wouldn't happen if multichannel work in Reaper is neglectable.

Last edited by nofish; 04-13-2021 at 11:02 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:04 AM   #38
ashcat_lt

My issue here is that we sometimes want to pass some channels and block others, and that still needs a whole other plugin. I guess it might be convenient in some situations, but honestly not by much.

Edit - and no the channel downmix plugin doesn’t seem to help with that
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:05 PM   #39
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
But how can you know (edit: or rather assume for that matter) how much of the users actually use Reaper for multichannel work?
E.g. there's currently work on a new ReaSurround (ReaSurroundPan) I guess that wouldn't happen if multichannel work in Reaper is neglectable.
Of course I'd never advocate taking away functionality for anyone, especially if it's long standing.

But there's no way it's even close to 10%, let alone 51%. Even if I'm wrong about 10% for sure it's not 51% haha.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:56 AM   #40
Ghashy

Default Many unexpectable quits

In new version 6.27 unexpectable quits happens when open and close projects on macbook pro 2011 (10.11.6 el capitan)
Ghashy is offline   Reply With Quote