Old 03-16-2019, 09:16 AM   #5841
lb0
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodslanding View Post
Okay, I'm getting my head around this, little by little. I actually installed a note-taking program for the purpose!

a question:

I saw a request earlier for a 'global area'.

I think most of my screen will be for global stuff, all though a section of it will 'target selected track'. The rest should just be static.

but it would be nice to have an area (maybe even just a different page) that can have different controls for different tracks, where only the controls for the selected track are shown....

I have 2 little behringer control units with 8 encoders. One will target the global area. One of its knobs will be used to change the selected track to update the 'target selected track' area and the other controls will change settings of that track, and of certain plugins I'll be using on all tracks that can be selected via the knob.

The other controller would target one (whichever is displayed--or possibly more than one, via switches?) of these dedicated per-track controls...

Is this currently possible?
There is a 'special' page called the global page.

Create a track called __GLOBAL and you can switch between the global page and the last selected page using - and = (change page down/up) shortcuts or the GLOBAL button on the top bar.

EDIT: For ease of fitting into what I already had - the global page is really just a strip tied to a dummy track - so if you drag strips to the global page - it will still add FX or whatever to the __GLOBAL track - unless you specify otherwise (eg. by holding ALT when dragging in a strip). But it's an easy access page you can quickly open from anywhere.
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:48 AM   #5842
woodslanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
I think the sends do take on the name of the target track already, and possibly some of the other controls - but will look into.

I'll see what I can come up with regarding a coloured background - at the moment all strip graphics are bitmaps - so would be hard to do this without developing another type of graphics element. But of course - entirely possible.
I think the most important text is for "Track Volume" to be able to show the name of the track.... I think I could use that feature to get the sends to work right too.

I discovered the background elements. They have r,g,b settings, so they seem programmable, at least in theory. The only thing I'd need there is an option for them to take the track color.... That seems like a generally useful thing--to have a background that matches your track, so you know you are editing the right thing!

My strips are shaping up. Getting there, thanks for all the helps!!
woodslanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:18 PM   #5843
lb0

Quote:
I think the most important text is for "Track Volume" to be able to show the name of the track.... I think I could use that feature to get the sends to work right too.

I discovered the background elements. They have r,g,b settings, so they seem programmable, at least in theory. The only thing I'd need there is an option for them to take the track color.... That seems like a generally useful thing--to have a background that matches your track, so you know you are editing the right thing!

My strips are shaping up. Getting there, thanks for all the helps!!
Good to here

Yes - you can tint gfx elements by r/g/b values - but they'd only be accurate if the gfx image itself was white.

There are two things I could do - if you wanted a graphics element to set rgb tints to match track colour - I could add a flag setting for each gfx element.

Also - I thought you can set the background colour of the entire page (at the moment this is global for every strip and set up in settings - default dark grey) - I could have a flag which could tell it to match the track colour. As another option maybe.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:08 PM   #5844
woodslanding

Still wondering what MAX DP is. Anybody?

Also, I have not been able to find a way to get my layered transparent controls to work.

I have one control 12x12 px, and another 40x40. The small one is just a display, the larger is a knob. The larger one has a 16/x16 transparent circle in the center for the small one to be viewed through.

So what settings would be required to make this work? I'd also like to show my meters behind my volume control slider in a similar way....

EDIT: as soon as I move the knob, the center area takes the background color, and overwrites the view of the center display.

EdiT: Seems like when I select 'BYPASS BKG CTL' on the knob, everything displays properly, but then the knob itself doesn't redraw correctly.... so maybe this just isn't supported?

Last edited by woodslanding; 03-16-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #5845
woodslanding

Quote:
Good to here

Yes - you can tint gfx elements by r/g/b values - but they'd only be accurate if the gfx image itself was white.

There are two things I could do - if you wanted a graphics element to set rgb tints to match track colour - I could add a flag setting for each gfx element.

Also - I thought you can set the background colour of the entire page (at the moment this is global for every strip and set up in settings - default dark grey) - I could have a flag which could tell it to match the track colour. As another option maybe.
Well, I'll have a bunch of strips in a row, much like, well, a mixer.... And I'd like each to take its specific track color. So a single background doesn't help.

But in the area where the 'target selected tracks' controls are, I would want to change color as the selected track changed.

AND..... on the pages with single-track specific controls, having the background there match the track color would also be helpful. (I am *way* too likely to adjust the wrong channel without a seriously insistent visual aid )

So.... both?

Last edited by woodslanding; 03-16-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:13 PM   #5846
lb0

Quote:
Still wondering what MAX DP is. Anybody?

Also, I have not been able to find a way to get my layered transparent controls to work.

I have one control 12x12 px, and another 40x40. The small one is just a display, the larger is a knob. The larger one has a 16/x16 transparent circle in the center for the small one to be viewed through.

So what settings would be required to make this work? I'd also like to show my meters behind my volume control slider in a similar way....

EDIT: as soon as I move the knob, the center area takes the background color, and overwrites the view of the center display.

EdiT: Seems like when I select 'BYPASS BKG CTL' on the knob, everything displays properly, but then the knob itself doesn't redraw correctly.... so maybe this just isn't supported?
Max DP = Max decimal places (to display value with). Some plugins have outputs like 121.563 Hz - which is better represented by 121.6 on a GUI - so would in this case set MaxDP to 1.

Overlapping controls can work - but it depends if the opaque part of the control whose background is not being redrawn changes in shape at all. As I said before - if its silhouette does not change - then you can usually draw the control without it's background.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:16 PM   #5847
lb0

Quote:
Well, I'll have a bunch of strips in a row, much like, well, a mixer.... And I'd like each to take its specific track color. So a single background doesn't help.

But in the area where the 'target selected tracks' controls are, I would want to change color as the selected track changed.

AND..... on the pages with single-track specific controls, having the background there match the track color would also be helpful. (I am *way* too likely to adjust the wrong channel without a seriously insistent visual aid )

So.... both?
Well - that requirement is more complex - as a gfx element is not associated with any control or track. A control can be associated with any track - but not so a gfx element and nothing to tie it to one (a strip file when loaded in is also not explicitly tied to any track - only the controls within it) - so how would a gfx element know what track colour to copy?

I'll have a think about best ways to achieve this.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:12 PM   #5848
woodslanding

Still more questions:

I have a parameter that goes from -7 to 7, and a knob with 15 frames. The frames are each unique, and I'm finding that the frames get out of sync vs. the values, starting at zero. Frame 8 (val 0) never gets shown, and both values +6 and +7 show frame 15.

Wondering if this is a bug? Some abs value math issue? Or a bad setting on my part?
Old 03-16-2019, 05:55 PM   #5849
timbralzoom

Quote:
Still more questions:

I have a parameter that goes from -7 to 7, and a knob with 15 frames. The frames are each unique, and I'm finding that the frames get out of sync vs. the values, starting at zero. Frame 8 (val 0) never gets shown, and both values +6 and +7 show frame 15.

Wondering if this is a bug? Some abs value math issue? Or a bad setting on my part?
i think the best solution for this kind of unique parameters
would using CYCLE BUTTON type ( plus/if necessary with a little workaround)

-first create your 15 frames control file (png)
-add that parameter in to Stripper/Grid
-open Control inspector
-select your PNG for the Control..
-switch Control Type to CYCLE BUTTON
-then you should see the ">>" left of the CYCLE BUTTON box
click it to open for Cycle Button extra options
-Ctrl+click to "AUTO" in the new window
-press to SAVE bottom of the extra window

all Done! = if the parameters reports the values correctly!

but..
if you still have that unmatched values that you described
then check this workaround video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6Sv...cEjEd&index=36

-this is a workaround i am using for this type of parameters..

only you need the insertpizhere / Transpose vst

i hope it helps
&
let me know if you need more assist
timbralzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:57 PM   #5850
woodslanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbralzoom View Post
i think the best solution for this kind of unique parameters
would using CYCLE BUTTON type ( plus/if necessary with a little workaround)

-first create your 15 frames control file (png)
-add that parameter in to Stripper/Grid
-open Control inspector
-select your PNG for the Control..
-switch Control Type to CYCLE BUTTON
-then you should see the ">>" left of the CYCLE BUTTON box
click it to open for Cycle Button extra options
-Ctrl+click to "AUTO" in the new window
-press to SAVE bottom of the extra window

all Done! = if the parameters reports the values correctly!

but..
if you still have that unmatched values that you described
then check this workaround video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6Sv...cEjEd&index=36

-this is a workaround i am using for this type of parameters..

only you need the insertpizhere / Transpose vst

i hope it helps
&
let me know if you need more assist
Well, the cycle button didn't work for this problem, but I saw the SAVE button at the bottom of the cycle popout for the first time (my monitor was too small show it before, but I just changed some settings and now I can see it. (not sure what did it.)

I think it explains why cycle button was not working for me, so that's good!

EDIT: Set 'even spread' and 'pos to frame' and now it works. YAY!
Old 03-16-2019, 07:06 PM   #5851
woodslanding

Well, I have a similar control that needs to function as a knob. I can't get it to work as a knob using the cycle button hack. Same problem with values zero and above offset by one.

Seems like a bug to me... should be an easy fix, I'd think.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:09 AM   #5852
lb0

Quote:
Well, I have a similar control that needs to function as a knob. I can't get it to work as a knob using the cycle button hack. Same problem with values zero and above offset by one.

Seems like a bug to me... should be an easy fix, I'd think.
Have you tried the draggable tick box in cycle options?
Old 03-17-2019, 07:21 PM   #5853
woodslanding

Quote:
Have you tried the draggable tick box in cycle options?
Guess not. What is that?

EDIT: Oh, yeah, got it. I did try it, and it didn't work for some reason. But just tried it now, and it seemed like it was.... I will investigate further.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:59 PM   #5854
woodslanding

Well, I'm trying to tweak the settings to make this work, and the control options window is just driving me crazy.

When it opens up, I can't see the bottom of the window, even though there would be room to show it.

Then I can click on it, and it moves to where I can see the bottom, but now I can't see the top! I have to quit the editor, or resize the window to get to the other pages. So frustrating! I've been dealing with this okay, but now that I'm going back and forth between pages trying to find the right settings, it's driving me nuts! (Man asks pirate: why is there a screwdriver in your pants?)

Akkk! And the size limit for pngs on this forum is even smaller than my monitor!! (How are people posting these gigantic graphics that force me to scroll every line 1000 px to the right???)

I should just go to bed.

Okay, here are some carefully trimmed pngs, so you can see what I mean.
Attached Images
File Type: png ctlOptionsCantSeeBottom.png (11.5 KB, 138 views)
File Type: png ctlOptionsCantSee Top.png (13.9 KB, 148 views)
Old 03-18-2019, 01:59 AM   #5855
lb0

Quote:
Well, I'm trying to tweak the settings to make this work, and the control options window is just driving me crazy.

When it opens up, I can't see the bottom of the window, even though there would be room to show it.

Then I can click on it, and it moves to where I can see the bottom, but now I can't see the top! I have to quit the editor, or resize the window to get to the other pages. So frustrating! I've been dealing with this okay, but now that I'm going back and forth between pages trying to find the right settings, it's driving me nuts! (Man asks pirate: why is there a screwdriver in your pants?)

Akkk! And the size limit for pngs on this forum is even smaller than my monitor!! (How are people posting these gigantic graphics that force me to scroll every line 1000 px to the right???)

I should just go to bed.

Okay, here are some carefully trimmed pngs, so you can see what I mean.
Ok - yeah - I see with the Y size restrictions set - the CTL OPTIONS gets forced off the page.

That's a bug - although may not be that simple to fix - for the moment - can you disengage Y height restrictions when you're in edit mode??
Old 03-18-2019, 08:20 AM   #5856
woodslanding

Quote:
Ok - yeah - I see with the Y size restrictions set - the CTL OPTIONS gets forced off the page.

That's a bug - although may not be that simple to fix - for the moment - can you disengage Y height restrictions when you're in edit mode??
How would I do that?

Is there a reason the window doesn't just sit in the upper right hand corner?

There is enough room for the whole window, if it would use the available space...
Old 03-18-2019, 08:33 AM   #5857
lb0

Quote:
How would I do that?

Is there a reason the window doesn't just sit in the upper right hand corner?

There is enough room for the whole window, if it would use the available space...
Click the Y on the top bar.

Yes - I've fixed it already - I never ever use the Y button to restrict vertical space - but from your screenshots - that's what you have enabled. Because I don't use it - I hadn't spotted the bug with the dialog windows.

I'll release the fix in the next few days (got other bits to finish off first).
Old 03-18-2019, 08:35 AM   #5858
woodslanding

Quote:
Click the Y on the top bar.

Yes - I've fixed it already - I never ever use the Y button to restrict vertical space - but from your screenshots - that's what you have enabled. Because I don't use it - I hadn't spotted the bug with the dialog windows.

I'll release the fix in the next few days (got other bits to finish off first).
No hurries, no worries, thanks!

I've got plenty of other things I need to work on!!!

EDIT: Did not realize I'd checked that Y (didn't even realize it was a button, or know what it did!) It works great now!
Old 03-19-2019, 09:07 PM   #5859
woodslanding

Quote:
Yep - you need to use the new State Control (numeric) type (find in TRACK EDIT->Other Controls list).

Drag the control into Strip - right-click it (when in edit mode) - choose Set State Info option from menu.

Then choose an External State Name, and a Key. You can use the state name and key you choose in an external script using the GetExtState API to retrieve the value.
Not sure what GetExtState is all about, so I checked in the docs:

Quote:
Get the extended state value for a specific section and key.
I have to marvel at the concision and clarity of that answer! Wow, so economical!!

Ummmm..... so I did a web search, and turned up a dozen forum posts, but they all seem to assume you already know what's going on....

What is a 'section'?
What is a 'key'?
What is 'the meaning of life'?

Well, any suggestions or sources are welcome.

For now, I can change tracks straight from my encoder using midi learn on 'go to track'. Not sure how to sync that up with stripper, though. Well, maybe it will happen automatically, and then I'll never find out what sections and keys are....

cheers!
-eric
Old 03-20-2019, 12:52 AM   #5860
lb0

Quote:
Not sure what GetExtState is all about, so I checked in the docs:

I have to marvel at the concision and clarity of that answer! Wow, so economical!!

Ummmm..... so I did a web search, and turned up a dozen forum posts, but they all seem to assume you already know what's going on....

What is a 'section'?
What is a 'key'?
What is 'the meaning of life'?

Well, any suggestions or sources are welcome.

For now, I can change tracks straight from my encoder using midi learn on 'go to track'. Not sure how to sync that up with stripper, though. Well, maybe it will happen automatically, and then I'll never find out what sections and keys are....

cheers!
-eric
Section and Key are just unique identifiers so you can retrieve the data.

So create a state control. Pick a phrase to use as the section - like LBXExtData - then a key like SelTrack - and put this information in.

Then from an external script you can retrieve that information using

Code:
my_script_variable_track = tonumber(GetExtState('LBXExtData', 'SelTrack', true))
Old 03-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #5861
David Carlyon

I am about to dive in and learn this beast. It looks amazing, though i am sure it takes a good amount of time to get the most out of it.
Can i ask - is anyone here using Meta plugin with this and or reaper in general?

I was thinking, aside form the fact it is multi channel, which itself is useful - would this be any good at saving 'sub patches' if you will.

I.e if you had different metaplug presets with a comp and a compressor, making sure all the 'host automation' names are exactly the same across all presets, could it act as a sub patch selector with LBX?

Hope i made that clear, sorry if not!!
David Carlyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:28 PM   #5862
woodslanding

Quote:
Section and Key are just unique identifiers so you can retrieve the data.

So create a state control. Pick a phrase to use as the section - like LBXExtData - then a key like SelTrack - and put this information in.

Then from an external script you can retrieve that information using

Code:
my_script_variable_track = tonumber(GetExtState('LBXExtData', 'SelTrack', true))
Okay, thank you, that makes sense. Now all the rest of the instructions make sense too! I will probably need this down the line, even though I have a solution for track switching at the moment....

EDIT: So I'm guessing this could allow any Reaper script to communicate with any other?? Are there limitations to this? Are all the sections and keys in all the running scripts just hanging out waiting to be called on?
Old 03-21-2019, 06:45 AM   #5863
timbralzoom

miss me? did you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01sE...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-21-2019, 09:49 AM   #5864
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbralzoom View Post
Yep - and lovely tune!

Really nice the way you start to pull it all together around the 3 minute mark...
Old 03-21-2019, 05:12 PM   #5865
timbralzoom

Quote:
Yep - and lovely tune!

Really nice the way you start to pull it all together around the 3 minute mark...
Thank you!

i get some jumpy behavior while moving controls in the Grid
i will test more to see if i can catch the reproduce

also in the EDIT mode Track Browser does shrink/shorten long track names
from the left side
ill record a video tomorrow, after a good sleep.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:14 AM   #5866
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
I am about to dive in and learn this beast. It looks amazing, though i am sure it takes a good amount of time to get the most out of it.
Can i ask - is anyone here using Meta plugin with this and or reaper in general?

I was thinking, aside form the fact it is multi channel, which itself is useful - would this be any good at saving 'sub patches' if you will.

I.e if you had different metaplug presets with a comp and a compressor, making sure all the 'host automation' names are exactly the same across all presets, could it act as a sub patch selector with LBX?

Hope i made that clear, sorry if not!!
I'm afraid I have no experience with Metaplugin - but I'm guessing it would work ok with it. I have used it with similar plugins like Bidule - and there's no problems there.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:53 AM   #5867
David Carlyon

Quote:
I'm afraid I have no experience with Metaplugin - but I'm guessing it would work ok with it. I have used it with similar plugins like Bidule - and there's no problems there.
Nice. Also, meta plug is multi channel, which could be really interesting with Reapers multi channel tracks/busses
i.e run kick and bass to multi channel buss, run into sep channels in meta plug, run each through its own comp/eq chain, tap a sidechain input from the kick to the bass, run both through a multi channel limiter on 'linked' mode, sum..
all kinds of interesting things one can do there.
I have been looking at the flux multi channel limiter too.
David Carlyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:50 AM   #5868
woodslanding

Okay, big feature request:

I'm slowly but surely getting control over everything I want in Reaper from within stripper. It's great!

But there is one big thing missing, which is dynamic control of text. I'm suspecting it is because LB0 hasn't figured out a clean way to implement it, but maybe nobody has thought to ask for it? (I'm not even going to entertain the idea that LB0 couldn't figure out how to do it )

I made a super-simple request in this area, which is that volume and send controls could be named by track... (I haven't yet checked if the sends do, but I know volume doesn't)

But there are two specific scenarios in which I'd like to be able to use dynamic text to select something, and I thought I'd explain them and how I think they might work in stripper.

The first is selecting presets in a VST. The second is loading a track template by name.

This is a case where buttons for inc/dec don't really cut it. You need to be able to skip to a particular item, and you need to be able to reference it by name from a list. It's much too expensive to select interim values you don't need, and it's important for the interface to show the names of things.

Where does the text come from? For plugin programs, it comes from either an ini file with RPLs for a specific VST, or from a user Reabank file. In the case of track templates, it would be a list of filenames in a directory. In either case, if it hasn't been done already, I'm confident can come up with scripts to return this data as a delimited string, even with my primordial scripting skills.

There are a couple of ways the gui could present the data.

How can you select an item from a list of any length, without the complication of scrolling? Since I use a touchscreen (for over 10 years now!) in live performance, and I like sound designing on the fly while playing, it's important to have a muscle memory component to working my interface. Scrolling is not great for that, as the location of information is not fixed. Also many of the environments I've used have not allowed for large enough scrollbars, and some have implemented iPad-type scrolling, which is difficult to use while playing (hard to select buttons without micro-scrolling...)

The solution I came up with, and have used for the past 10 years (built in bidule/reaktor,Max/Msp and Usine) is a matrix of buttons, with a pair of paging buttons at the bottom. This allows you to divide the list up into segments, and page through the list. It is nice because a particular item always shows up in the same position in the list, which is good for muscle memory, and the buttons don't move around like they do with scrolling.

Another option, which is currently implemented in reaticulate, and has been working well there, is to have a traditional list that can be scrolled from a knob. Turning the knob increments through the list without selecting. And then the highlighted item can be selected by pressing it, or via another button (the advantage of an external button is that the items only need be large enough to see, not so large as to be able to select from a touchscreen.) The control then needs two independent inputs, a continuous control for highlighting/scrolling, and a button for selecting. Paired with alphabetization of preset lists (for which there is a script) this could work quite well.

But for me, I think I still prefer my original solution.

In any case, I would hope the ability to select items via text, and to be able to address text programatically would be something a lot of users would find use for, athough I think a solution might be worth implementing just for the ability to make preset changes.

EDIT: One other example of something I've been doing along these lines: I have a button for opening the VSTi on the current track. It has a text label which is the name of the vst. Actually in the case of Kontakt, it is a wrapper name for a bank of kontakt presets, as I've divided my samples into a few different subgroups. And in Reaktor it is the name of the instrument that gets loaded into reaktor. I've been storing this data, along with other data (such as color) in a text file. Then a script loads and sets these values. So it would be nice to be able to set the value of a button's or a slider's text as part of that process.)

As always, let me know if this is already possible. I wouldn't be surprised...

cheers!
-e

Last edited by woodslanding; 03-24-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:07 AM   #5869
fr0

Hi!

I've spent several hours in the last couple of days diving into LBX. It's a ton of fun!

Unfortunately I've run into a problem: When I load my saved strip in a fresh Reaper project, its channels aren't being created. Meaning I create a new project, insert a new track, run LBX, and in LBX add my saved strip to the new track.

When I do this, the new track stays empty (no FX being added) and the additional channels I have used while creating the strip are also not being added.

For context, here's what I'm working with:
https://pasteboard.co/I6UOWMx.png
https://pasteboard.co/I6UPEeh.png

Essentially what I want to happen is that folder and its track chain being plopped into Reaper when I add my strip in LBX.

All my mappings are functioning correctly and my strip is technically working as intended. Just bringing it into a new project doesn't work.

I've been watching Timbralzoom's videos and I'm honestly terribly confused as to why it's not working the way I think it would.

Two more things to note:

When I put my strip into a fresh project, all my knobs and buttons have red dots next to them. Sometimes this also happens when I'm in the project I'm building the strip in. What do those dots mean?

When I started building my strip, I had a seprarate instrument track in the project that I only used to test the FX chain I made. Nothing from that instrument was mapped to LBX. I feel like things started behaving weirdly when I deleted that instrument track.

Sorry if this is a bit all over the place. It feels like I'm stuck right in the middle between two steps in the process and have no idea which way is down or up.

Cheers!
fr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:59 AM   #5870
timbralzoom

Hi,

-"Save Strip"
saves only the one Track (where you build the Strip)..
so, all plugins you used in the Strip must be in the same/one Reaper Track..

-for multiple Tracks you have to save "Strip Set"
for this:
remove/delete other tracks that you don't want to include in the Strip Set
then save the set..

red dots means that Controls (Parameters)
belongs to the plugins in the other Tracks / not in the Strip Track..
and Strip can't be saved/recalled with that plugins by Strip Save Load..

short: plugins are not in the Track that you build your Strip in to.
and warns you .. you should save as a Strip Set

EDIT:

before delete any track i would remove their Controls / Parameters from the Strip first .. then delete the tracks .. then Save..

Last edited by timbralzoom; 03-24-2019 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:13 AM   #5871
fr0

You're a champ, thank you!
fr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:27 PM   #5872
cjewellstudios

So I finally jumped in

I'm not even going to pretend I read this massive thread. Although I did attempt it.

Having a couple problems making my first strip.

I have two instances of bx_cleansweep back to back (for steeper filters if I need them)

I just link everything via parameter modulation so that they are basically mirrored versions of eachother. Setting the param modulation via stripper was great btw. However, only the second instance of bx_cleansweep was able to be adjusted within stripper. Whereas floating both actual plugin gui's you can move either or.

Not a huge deal and there are a few workarounds, I just wanted to bring it to your attention. Speaking of workarounds, I was thinking one of them would be linking them to the same midi controller. I assume this can link to faderbox just like the Smart Knob script does? I haven't gotten that far yet

The next thing is, when I run the stripper script, it opens up in a window that's quite literally as small as it can be. (This didn't happen the first time, it happened after I crashed everything (story incoming))

This was just me clicking around trying to fuss through Stripper, but the grid setting in the lower left hand corner of stripper I was clicking on and the numbers were going up. In an attempt to return whatever value that is to its default state, I ctrl-clicked it which did nothing and so I shift-clicked and/or alt-click the number field and that crashed reaper. Again this was just me being dumb but I thought it maybe worth mentioning to lb0.

So back to faderbox and mapping for a second, I haven't seen tooo much talk about it so I'll ask. In layman's terms, is it basically just like the smart knob script except the gui is now the stripper and the focus is actually whatever is the active strip? (as opposed to the focused plugin in the smart knobs script)

My apologies if any of this has been gone over, super excited to finally be getting into this.
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:03 PM   #5873
woodslanding

So I see how I can use the extState to control a script that requires a value, that all makes sense. But I'd like to take it one step further.

Is there a way to send the source track as an extState from a control also?

I want to have a bunch of identical strips for my main tracks, and I'd like a knob on each one that can send a particular script both its value AND the track it's associated with. My script needs both values....

Is this possible?
Old 03-27-2019, 04:32 AM   #5874
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjewellstudios View Post
So I finally jumped in

I'm not even going to pretend I read this massive thread. Although I did attempt it.

Having a couple problems making my first strip.

I have two instances of bx_cleansweep back to back (for steeper filters if I need them)

I just link everything via parameter modulation so that they are basically mirrored versions of eachother. Setting the param modulation via stripper was great btw. However, only the second instance of bx_cleansweep was able to be adjusted within stripper. Whereas floating both actual plugin gui's you can move either or.

Not a huge deal and there are a few workarounds, I just wanted to bring it to your attention. Speaking of workarounds, I was thinking one of them would be linking them to the same midi controller. I assume this can link to faderbox just like the Smart Knob script does? I haven't gotten that far yet

The next thing is, when I run the stripper script, it opens up in a window that's quite literally as small as it can be. (This didn't happen the first time, it happened after I crashed everything (story incoming))

This was just me clicking around trying to fuss through Stripper, but the grid setting in the lower left hand corner of stripper I was clicking on and the numbers were going up. In an attempt to return whatever value that is to its default state, I ctrl-clicked it which did nothing and so I shift-clicked and/or alt-click the number field and that crashed reaper. Again this was just me being dumb but I thought it maybe worth mentioning to lb0.

So back to faderbox and mapping for a second, I haven't seen tooo much talk about it so I'll ask. In layman's terms, is it basically just like the smart knob script except the gui is now the stripper and the focus is actually whatever is the active strip? (as opposed to the focused plugin in the smart knobs script)

My apologies if any of this has been gone over, super excited to finally be getting into this.
Hey Charlie,

You want to control the both bx_cleansweep filters with one knob? You could try a macro knob (TRACK EDIT->Other controls->Macro control.

First add controls for both filters into your strip.

Add a macro to your strip - then in LIVE mode - right-click it and add both the filter controls to the macro control.

Both should now be tied together.

You can then make the individual filter controls invisible (in FX/TRACK edit mode - right-click menu).

Yeah - sometimes a crash can cause the window to practically vanish. I looked into it sometime ago - and so far have failed to fix this.

The midi control is similar in that it uses one or more faderboxes (on a track called __LBX_CTL).

When you have this - if you restart stripper - then on the FADERs tab in the left sidebar - you'll see the available faders there - which can be dragged onto controls in your strips. There are several different modes (GLOBAL/TRACK) and ways of working with them (you can even capture snapshots with different fader assignments). But it's been some time since I've utilized this beyond testing stuff - so I cannot remember all the details of the top of my head.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:39 AM   #5875
lb0

Quote:
So I see how I can use the extState to control a script that requires a value, that all makes sense. But I'd like to take it one step further.

Is there a way to send the source track as an extState from a control also?

I want to have a bunch of identical strips for my main tracks, and I'd like a knob on each one that can send a particular script both its value AND the track it's associated with. My script needs both values....

Is this possible?
I think so - although you'd currently need a control manually mapped to the track number for each track. There's currently no automatic way of sending the track number associated with a particular control.

It's difficult to know exactly what you require from your description - because it depends on what layout of controls you have - is there a completely different set of controls for each track - or are there some controls which operate on whatever track is selected.

If the former - then it should be possible. If the latter - then you'd need an automatic way of getting the selected track.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:34 PM   #5876
woodslanding

Quote:
I think so - although you'd currently need a control manually mapped to the track number for each track. There's currently no automatic way of sending the track number associated with a particular control.

It's difficult to know exactly what you require from your description - because it depends on what layout of controls you have - is there a completely different set of controls for each track - or are there some controls which operate on whatever track is selected.

If the former - then it should be possible. If the latter - then you'd need an automatic way of getting the selected track.
Well, some of each...

I'd like identical strips for each channel. I thought most strips were set up to work on a particular channel... The controls in the strip have to tell Reaper which channel they are addressing... how do they do that?

But I'd also like some controls that target the selected track, which is also an option, correct?

Writing a script that acts on the selected track is easy, you can always get that from Reaper.... but for channel-specific controls, only the control is going to know which track it addresses, right?

My specific use case is a control that switches a track between traditional keyboard input and the roli seaboard. I bring both in to a given track through midi busses, so I can do controller-specific processing (vel scaling, cc mapping etc.) on a dedicated midi input track before sending to instrument tracks.

When the button is pressed, it removes the old midi receive and adds the new one. Then it needs to set a parameter in a custom JSFX I wrote that converts between MPE and normal midi. The purpose is to be able to control a vst on a track from either a keyboard or the roli, just by flipping a switch. I want one of these switches on each vsti channel, so I can easily assign each instrument to either controller. The script works, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to control it from a switch.

Some controls, like roli/kbd in, volume, fxsend, octave switch, etc need to be on every track. Partly so I can adjust values on several tracks without changing the track selection, but also so I can just see at a glance what's going on with all the tracks.

But I also want many of the controls in an inspector that targets the selected track as well, because I want to tie my encoder box to those controls. The behringer has 8 encoders and 24 switches, and I have plans for all 32 in the inspector....

I keep going back and forth between trying to figure out if I can do what I need to in stripper, and feeling like I should just figure out how to get images working in Lokasenna's gui toolkit and build it from the ground up. Both learning curves are feeling like a bit much right now.... but I don't want to give up. I'm building up a set of scripts that do what I want, I just have to figure out how to control them.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:11 AM   #5877
Pinknoise

I'm trying to figure out how strip set works. When loading a set the top folder has my Bxlimiter on some of the set I have no idea how I came to set that up where do I change that ?

Some strip set don't load a folder how do I change that too ?
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:09 PM   #5878
Pinknoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinknoise View Post
I'm trying to figure out how strip set works. When loading a set the top folder has my Bxlimiter on some of the set I have no idea how I came to set that up where do I change that ?

Some strip set don't load a folder how do I change that too ?
Anyone ?

Is there a way to make LBX window resize when changing tracks or when changing views between 1 to 4 ?
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:09 PM   #5879
woodslanding

Super easy (I think) FR:

could we get the track receives as destinations, same as the sends?

EDIT:

along the same lines... mute send to master?

Last edited by woodslanding; 03-31-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:18 PM   #5880
woodslanding

Question about cycle buttons and macros.... still trying to figure these out. I feel like I get different results every time I use it, even when I think I've done exactly the same thing I did last time.

If I want a macro that does this:
Code:
Action1: Cycle 0 1 2 3
Action2: Cycle 0 0 1 1
Action3: Cycle 0 1 0 1
Can I do that? How would I set that up?
Also, can someone explain the controls on the macro page? The only one that makes sense is Add Parameters. What is capture A? capture B? Automation?
The 4 buttons? the sliders? The text on the buttons is way too large to read... but it looks like one is INV?

Thanks as always!