Old 02-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #41
Wilkesin
Human being with feelings

Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz
1 gig of Ram
M-audio Delta 1010
Windows 7

When you guys talk about "freezing" in Reaper you just mean rendering to a stem track, correct? Is there a feature I'm missing? I render to stems pretty frequently. It's how I've always had to work with such a limited processor. Maybe I'll try shred out a bit more, but I was getting little pops and clicks when playing.

I could up my buffer a notch or two, but outside of that I would start dealing with some latency issues. I have to at least be able to have one other stem running to track against, ya know?
Wilkesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #42
JohnnyMcFly

Wilkesin, This is not a real good option, but on the default system here when I get the clicks and pops, I try raising the latency on the ASIO DRIVER..
KM
Old 02-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #43
JohnnyMcFly

Ted...
a) a larger selection of IR's or the ability to import your own (complete with drop down list). I particularly miss open back cabs of the 2x12 variety. I would have to rely on another convo loader in order to use an IR that actually sounds like an AC30, which just happens to be my favourite cab type

Shred 2...Unless you have some IR's that I can legally add to Shred, I'd be glad to

b) The colour filters from the series 60 - especially the Green and Blue ones...
Hmm, yeah I was thinking about that, what if I added the whole drive amp? That would be easier..

c) Lose the "fizz" filter or whatever it's called, and replace with HP & LP filters (with frequency adjust)
HAHA, Not a chance, I have some cool plans for this like the ability to adjust it yourself.

d) FX-wise, I don't know for sure, but I think the FX are post speaker Impulse. this is more like a console insert, and not at all like an amp FX loop, so the FX should either be pre-cab pre-power amp, or better still you could have a "pre-post" switch.

Love the Pre/Post switch Idea.

e) A simple Gain Boost switch that keeps the level much the same, not to make it higher gain but to give instant access to the "Clean v Distorted" selection. For me amp simulation is not just about simulating the sound, but also simulating the way you work with a real amp, and a boost/channel switch is very much the norm
Yeah...I had one in there but it got axed because it was interfering with other stuff. I had to release so I removed it without fixing it. I'd like to revisit this though..But I need to get some other stuff done first...

f) A simple compressor (pre & post amp)
So two, or is it a switch?

Ted no need to explain and YOU! of anyone should know I always listen..
So thanks for the comments..
KM
Old 02-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #44
JohnnyMcFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnguess View Post

everyone i deal with that does their own tracking has at least a core 2 duo, which is a pretty big leap in power from a P4
Thats why we develop on such a slow system. There are people that have a slower sysrtem and we still want our plugs to run on them. I mean within reason though. Shred is not going to be a multitrack suite if you have a 1.8 Ghz system. It can be with a quad though, which are very prevalent..
KM
Old 02-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #45
Tedwood

Ah thanks for listening Ken, seems It was worthy of mention. Sorry I can't help with any IR's, but Shred 2 will allow importing one's own IR's, that's in the pipe isn't it?

Meantime I can use another Cab sim if I need to.

The Compressor:
I find an upstream compressor really helps with the response/feel factor of an amp sim for some reason, it also reduces some of the unpleasant harsh distortion on transients, simply by flattening the transients. That was the main point, however.....

An FX (sustain) type compressor would not go a miss either, and could arguably add some extremely smooth clean tones to the already large selection on offer. You would be mad to use such a thing with high gain amps - but there are plenty of mad people around.

thinks..... Yeah a switch would be cool (pre - preamp/post preamp) I reckon

I don't mind using Reacomp myself, but if you had an integrated compressor it would mean one could save the whole chain as a pre-set, whereas at the moment I would probably have to use a chain of multiple FX

I may try and do a few samples with, and without a comp, if it would help at all

Last edited by Tedwood; 02-27-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Tedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #46
JohnnyMcFly

Ted I was thinking...
What if one could place the compressor anywhere?...
Pre/Post Head
Pre/Post Gain stage
Pre/Post Tonestack
Pre/Post Poweramp

hmmm?

Interested?

Man I would love to add a bootsy compressor in here! That guy is just brilliant with compression!

Well I'll ask him for a few more pointers anyways...

You know the kinda crap I'm gonna get from people though for adding that flexibility Ted? We'll have a boycott because its too complicated! Metal guys it seems don't like to craft their sound too much other than a bass or treble knob it seems? Its a good job I didn't design Shred for Modern Metal, but for the original Shredders, and I did not pick the name Shred out either..I wanted to call this suite Whack..

I'm gonna do it anyways! Compressor anywhere..

KM
Old 02-27-2010, 11:43 PM   #47
d.bop

I just wanted to say that I just tried this out for this first time and I'm absolutely loving it! So much flexibility! AND FOR FREE!

I'm running at 10% CPU here at the lowest buffer setting on my interface.

Thanks KM!
Old 02-28-2010, 07:05 AM   #48
JohnnyMcFly

Thanks Guys and yes DriveAMP and the Treble master will be released separate. I just have not got to finishing them...its actually a graphics issue thats holding up the release...There are a number of people that want them and I WILL DEFINATELY be releasing them..

KM
Old 02-28-2010, 08:31 AM   #49
ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMcFly View Post
Thanks Ugh...However, that obviously leads to the question...

Whats missing?

KM
I am not completely satisfied with the Cabinet Simulation.
If I use let's say Aradz' Cabinet Simulator with your Shred, it sounds better to my ears. But that is just me.

Last edited by ugh; 02-28-2010 at 08:57 AM.
ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #50
JohnnyMcFly

OK Well we have just finished adding the second Cab to Shred with absolutely no CPU Change(It may have even dropped a little). With this second Cabinet option, you have a selection of Processing types as well. What we're calling Series A and Series B. Perhaps that may help out a little.

Thanks man for your response

KM
Old 02-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #51
Drugs

I gotta say I'm really liking shred
Gotta love the presets too. One of my favs is "star spangled"
The distortions sound so much better to me than the single heads by ACMEBG. Although, I wasn't using a cab sim with them so that could be why.
Great job with this one ABG
Old 02-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #52
shawnguess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drugs View Post
Although, I wasn't using a cab sim with them so that could be why.
8|

i would guess so
shawnguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #53
JohnnyMcFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drugs View Post

Although, I wasn't using a cab sim with them so that could be why.
Damn that Acme needs to work on their distortion its so freaking Scratchy!
haha
Thanks Drugs..
KM
Old 02-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #54
JohnnyMcFly

Tedwood...

I have been working on adding that compressor we spoke about. Its actually really easily implemented to allow the user to select different regions of the head to compress. However, I am not and have never been very good at making compressors. Its something I want to learn more about. But I cannot get it to run at any less than 9%. I started with 11.8% but still considering that Shred runs at about 30%+effects, I cannot add it for now. I will look into it later as that to me sounds like an amazing opportunity to do useful things a little differently

KM
Old 02-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #55
Tedwood

Quote:
Ted I was thinking...
What if one could place the compressor anywhere?...
Pre/Post Head
Pre/Post Gain stage
Pre/Post Tonestack
Pre/Post Poweramp

hmmm?

Interested?

Man I would love to add a bootsy compressor in here! That guy is just brilliant with compression!

Well I'll ask him for a few more pointers anyways...

You know the kinda crap I'm gonna get from people though for adding that flexibility Ted? We'll have a boycott because its too complicated! Metal guys it seems don't like to craft their sound too much other than a bass or treble knob it seems? Its a good job I didn't design Shred for Modern Metal, but for the original Shredders, and I did not pick the name Shred out either..I wanted to call this suite Whack..

I'm gonna do it anyways! Compressor anywhere..

KM
Compressor anywhere?

Abso-Fuckinglutley Ken, I didn't dare ask, but I was kinda thinking the same

Bootsy is the man. I love Density - both versions, and I use it a lot on tracks.

There were some error on closing REAPER with V1, but I think it is sorted in VII. If you can get a bootsy comp into Shred I think you will have the most amazing piece of guitar software out there Ken.

I have been playing with this some time now. i won't look anywhere else for over-driven or high gain tones. I'm still depending on chains to get a great clean tone, and I suspect that will always be the case, but I reckon the inclusion of a compressor will go a long way towards having an all in one solution.

If I can find the time I'm going to learn about making some impulses of my own open and closed back 12" cabs, which you may include if they are any good Probably take a week or so to figure it out so don't hold your breath

Ken - just read your post above and I hear you. Just a thought though, Fretted Synth's FreeAmp 3 has a lovely guitar friendly compressor, it's simple and is very low cpu, and it is the secret to getting a silky smooth tone from FreeAmp . I know fuck all about coding, so that's all I'm saying, except to say that if Fretted Synth can do it so can you

Last edited by Tedwood; 02-28-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Tedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:20 PM   #56
minerman

I like Shred a lot, but I do agree with some of the suggestions made in earlier posts. I'd love to be able to use external impulses, that would be outrageous. Not saying the "stock" cabs are bad, they're actually pretty good for me. And, being able to have a comp in the chain would also be a big plus. I've been reading up on Ted's tutorials, & it does make a big difference, if you take the time to dial in the sound you're looking for. Again, I like Shred a lot, been using it a lot since it's release, & I use a POD X3 Live, Line 6 Guitar Port (upgraded with all the amp/cabs they offer), Le Pou, Nick Crow, TSE X30, & all the other ACME amps. Personally, I think it's just as good as some of the commercial sims, even better since it's free!!! My fav is the Marvel head, because I like hard rock/metal tones, but I do occasionaly venture into "cleaner" territory.Keep it up Ken, I always keep an eye peeled for something new from you........
minerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #57
JohnnyMcFly

Ted I don't think bootsy would provide a Compressor, I know he is a really nice guy though and always available for question and answer..So, if anything I'll be asking him some questions, cause my compressors suck!...

Anyways...yeah thats way to cool of an idea not to put it in, Even if the CPU is a little high. that means that Shred on the development system would run at 41% before effects...I mean convolving 4 IR files is running at just over 14% so 11% more for a compressor is just ridiculous! We'll see... What I need is a really BARE bones compressor, signal is hot lower it, signal is low boost it type of thing...

Right?

Minerman, thanks..
I will be adding the ability to load your own IR's but not until the pre-commercial release, Loading external IR's will open a can of worms and I expect to have a zillion bug fixes for it. So, the idea is to prove out all the other elements of Shred first so we know it is as solid as possible, then when we add the ability to load external IR's we don't have to question any other aspects of Shred to much..I would expect to see that around 1.09, somewhere around there...

KM
Old 02-28-2010, 11:57 PM   #58
JohnnyMcFly

Got it! Ted, your move-able compressor is in Shred...

I used one of the Antress compressors for it, so I have an email in to him asking for permission. His compressor added 5% to the CPU on our development system...Hopefully he gives me permission I really like this compressor...Man he does nice work..

Some INFO:

Shred update is coming soon..Changes are

-Various Fixes, Presets
-Second Cab added
A full featured second cab with mic movement and cabinet panning has been added. There is also Signal panning as well as a phase control

-Graphic changes
Digital readout numbers popup when your mouse is over a knob.

-Tonestack
Graph pops up when you adjust the tonestack

-Move able internal Head Compressor has been added.
You can route the signal to the compressor and back out into the head
The following positions are included, Pre-head, Pre Gain stage, Post Gain stage, Post tone Stack, and Post Poweramp

-Series A and B room procesing...
Two different techniques for Room modeling. Series A is new and has quickly become my favored technique.

-New lower CPU usage convolver.
Adding the second cab and all its convolution controls, dropped the CPU by .5% We could have not added the second Cab and dropped the cpu usage a lot more, but Shred will very quickly become a Stereo plugin where you can select a second head as well. So we needed this to happen.

Outstanding left to be done
-Fix for Cubase 4 and 5. When you use Cubase to change a preset all sound is killed.

KM
Old 03-01-2010, 02:42 AM   #59
jamieskeen

JohnnyMcFly, when will the "commercial" version be out? Honestly this one I think is your best work. I was comparing it to amplitude metal yesterday and was really impressed that it was able to stand on its own against it. Keep it up:_)
jamieskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:08 AM   #60
kindafishy

Ken, instead of adding a compressor, why don't you add an effects loop that we can patch in anywhere? That way, we can use any compressor we want (or anything for that matter) anywhere we want in the chain. Yes, win.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #61
JohnnyMcFly

Yeah great Idea, I thought about that before but right now we have no means of bringing sending and receiving outside signals...That would be awesome though...

KM
Old 03-01-2010, 09:32 AM   #62
JohnnyMcFly

Jamieskeen

We have 3 more Freeware releases to go, then the commercial version will be ready. We want to make sure we have tested out the features before the commercial release. Due diligence...
KM
Old 03-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #63
Tedwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
Ken, instead of adding a compressor, why don't you add an effects loop that we can patch in anywhere? That way, we can use any compressor we want (or anything for that matter) anywhere we want in the chain. Yes, win.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking in the first place. That's what chains are all about, but although I know sod all about coding it struck me that this idea would be DAW dependant. It really wouldn't be anything like how you can patch into a piece of hardware. I haven't seen this function in any plug in to date.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #64
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedwood View Post
Yeah, that's what I was thinking in the first place. That's what chains are all about, but although I know sod all about coding it struck me that this idea would be DAW dependant. It really wouldn't be anything like how you can patch into a piece of hardware. I haven't seen this function in any plug in to date.
I see an effects loop as an amp-centric way of saying that you sub-host other VST's, so I think it could be very much analogous to patching in a piece of hardware, but I've never coded a plugin, so I don't know really... I am a programmer, so I know enough to say that if you can code to one side of an API, you can code to the other side. Especially when there is OSS stuff like Ardour out there that can be used to figure it out. Then again, I've read that the VST support in Ardour is pretty buggy... could still be useful as a basic model though... train of thought seems to be without an engineer at the moment.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #65
JohnnyMcFly

Well what Ted is saying is that with a normal effects loop, you can apply your effects in a normal fashion. What we have done with the compressor is allowed you to move it to different places inside the head...not just before or after, but inside. So at the gain stage, at the tonestack, at the poweramp, etc..
km
Old 03-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #66
minerman

Cool idea about the comp Ken, sorry to hear the external IR's won't be a feature for a little while, but I can make due with what I have. I'll just have to use Boogex or Kefir. It would save a little CPU (by allowing external IR's), but I usually "freeze" my tracks anyway, so it's not a big deal. Still a great sim though, I'm pretty happy with it. All your stuff's good, but to me, Shred is, well, just "different". Keep it up Ken!!!!!!

PS: You mentioned a "commercial" release, when that happens, that means you'll have to pay for the "new" amp/effect, right? Any "guesstimates" to how much it'll cost?
minerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #67
JohnnyMcFly

Yep 25 dollars US...basically its a buck a head...

km
Old 03-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #68
kindafishy

Quote:
Well what Ted is saying is that with a normal effects loop, you can apply your effects in a normal fashion. What we have done with the compressor is allowed you to move it to different places inside the head...not just before or after, but inside. So at the gain stage, at the tonestack, at the poweramp, etc..
km
Oh sweet. Chain of Responsibility? Is that the basic pattern behind your architecture? If so, it would still be cool to have a VST subhost filter eventually. Eventually...

Maybe in the paid version. What a wicked feature that would be...
Old 03-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #69
JohnnyMcFly

Kinda fishy, I have been asking around about that tonight with one of the devs thats helping us, he is looking into it...Its not gonna be easy though and our fear is that the changes required to do that will add instabilities in it...But, we'll see..
KM
Old 03-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #70
Tedwood

The most important thing is, of course, The Tone

We can talk forever about how the circuits or the code does these things, but let me remind you all one of the all time classics was pretty much educated guesswork and pure chance.

I am of course talking about the AC30 - such a page in history, and still to die for

interesting read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vox_%28...l_equipment%29
Old 03-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #71
Earache

Finally got around to trying this out and I'm really liking what I hear. I've only touched on the tweak options but it looks like there is lots of power and options there. The effects sound great, the reverb and room sound like I would expect from an amp.

Suggestions:
- I would like to see more effects added and the pre/post switch on each is a must unless you plan to release everything as separate VSTs (I don't have a problem with building chains, but all in one is ideal).

- Chorus, Flanger and Phaser FX would seem pretty standard.

- It would be cool to have project tempo options for the delay settings.

- An accurate Morely Wha simulation (minus the noise and hard to find replacement bulbs) - yeah, not for everyone but I have to put it out there

I recently went for the $20 Amplitube2 deal and Shred has that beat hands down. I haven't tried any of the other big name (expensive) releases but for $25, you've already made a sale. (Please avoid the ridiculous anti-piracy solutions).

I should mention, there were a few presets that made no sound for me, I didn't note which but a couple of the last "Power Amp" presets were among them. When I bypassed the head the clean sound came through, levels were up.
Earache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #72
JohnnyMcFly

Ted I have read about the AC30/4 and 6. Absolutely everything I can get my hands on. One of the more interesting things about it is its Notch Filter at about 10hz. I may have said this before, But I could not get that Honk sort of sound from my sims, until I found that Notch Filter. Once I did it was like wow thats different...In my own testing with and without that notch, it seems that it is there to take care of the ultra low frequencies into the power amp as a result of the position of the tonestack, thus reducing potential Distortion. Remember when the greats were designing these things, the goal was to create as clean a sound as cheaply as possible. They were trying to reduce distortion not create it. That came later...It seems though that some aspects of the AC30 were taken from the Gibson GA77 which is also one of my favorite amps of all time...That may be vice versa, not sure which came out first, I think it was the VOX though...

Earache
Suggestions:
"- I would like to see more effects added and the pre/post switch on each is a must unless you plan to release everything as separate VSTs (I don't have a problem with building chains, but all in one is ideal). "

Heads for sure will be released as a separate VST...Not sure about the Prepost thing right now. I have to build the FX rack first..Sooner or later that will happen though

"- Chorus, Flanger and Phaser FX would seem pretty standard."

Yep version 2

"- It would be cool to have project tempo options for the delay settings."

I might add that now, not sure...

"- An accurate Morely Wha simulation (minus the noise and hard to find replacement bulbs) - yeah, not for everyone but I have to put it out there "

I can try for that...When=?

"I recently went for the $20 Amplitube2 deal and Shred has that beat hands down. I haven't tried any of the other big name (expensive) releases but for $25, you've already made a sale. (Please avoid the ridiculous anti-piracy solutions)."

Absolutely...We will not be putting ANY protection in Shred whatsoever.
The Software business is not the same any longer, it is not a retail sales deal, its an honor based sales business. If people want to pirate our stuff, no dongle, Serial number or whatever is going to protect it, what is going to protect it is reasonable prices, doing the best you can with support, Providing a good quality to cost ratio, and in general being available.
I fully expect Piracy, no question that will happen even at 25 dollars.

"I should mention, there were a few presets that made no sound for me, I didn't note which but a couple of the last "Power Amp" presets were among them."

Yes there is a problem with the Head mods, specifically the Power boost mods. Thats already fixed for Version 1.07

"When I bypassed the head the clean sound came through, levels were up."
Cool

Thanks
KM
Old 03-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #73
matey

hey Ken, it seems you don't sleep too much...

thanks for your effort, shred is the only guit plug firmly placed in my vst folder now

just to say my opinion as a perfect n00b, a 1967 vox ac 30 owner with no chance to record the beast at home, I'd rather like more to have my amp sim ready to go as I would do with my real one, just plug the lead and having a nice sound more than going nuts with loads of efx, loop, comp or whatever I could easily choose amongst my third part (acme included) arsenal already...

"barebone" plugin for me, just head/cab/room, like in the real life
matey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #74
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by matey View Post
"barebone" plugin for me, just head/cab/room, like in the real life
You do have older ABG heads for that, right? Pair them with LeCab and some impulses and off you go.

I think Shred was meant to be an all-in-one solution, a tweaker's paradise. I doubt Ken will downsize it.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #75
JohnnyMcFly

HAHA...on the contrary Evil...I so happen to have a downsized version already made with no tweaks at all whatsoever...5 Heads and voila...
As a matter of fact you don't need an install, and you don't need to set the main input level either...

Here you go Matey...
Shred 1.01
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/923791/Shred...te%20Final.rar
Enjoy..

EDIT:
Here is the stand alone BARE BONES version too
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/923791/Shred...StandAlone.rar
NOTE:
Your guitar must be plugged into Input 1 of your sound card or it will not work.
Go to the Audio menu first and select your sound card driver...

KM

Last edited by JohnnyMcFly; 03-02-2010 at 06:30 PM.
JohnnyMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #76
EvilDragon

Ahaha

That can be counted as prerelease :P
Old 03-03-2010, 12:24 AM   #77
matey

your shred "matey" edition is much appreciated, Ken...:-D

cant wait to test it back home, thanks

@Evil: didn't mean to mess the things up with my request, I would to point out my approach to a plugin that is supposed to emulate a gear...
and since the more efx you put in a plugin structure the heavier (I guess) is the charge of cpu resources, I'd rather prefer such amount of resources to be applied for delivering the best natural sound... maybe I'm wrong, sure I'm a n00b in it (who generally dislike - sorry - the mainstream metal oriented prefab flavours in amp sim)

excellent, anyway
Old 03-03-2010, 01:48 AM   #78
EvilDragon

No, wait, nobody's calling you a noob or anything :P

I'm just saying that it's good to have so much options in Shred. Someone is bound to take advantage of them

CPU usage depends on the code itself - it can be done very lightly and optimized, even with a number of FX.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:41 AM   #79
matey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
No, wait, nobody's calling you a noob or anything :P

I'm just saying that it's good to have so much options in Shred. Someone is bound to take advantage of them

CPU usage depends on the code itself - it can be done very lightly and optimized, even with a number of FX.
no offence, I'm actually a perfect proud-to-be n00b...XD

thanks for explaining me how cpu the consuption works on plugs, tho

jokes apart, is a matter of fact that most available ampsim plugs are quite metal oriented, at least because the catchy presets delivered for ready-to-go use... lots of efx that I always tick off to get my clean sound to start from...
Old 03-03-2010, 05:44 AM   #80
JohnnyMcFly

No problem Matey...

Just an update guys...
I am pretty sure the compressor inside the head is not working out...I have had some non favorable reports from my beta testers...so, we may be removing it...They seem to not be noticing too much of a difference in it from position to position, so the the extra CPU usage for having that functionality may not be making sense.

KM