Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 12-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #41
johnrule
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stop Continues View Post
Yes and excellent video. You simply haven't shown a PiP stored within a single reaper project (which is what people call ReaParts--and is what we can't do yet).
The subproject part references are saved as part of the main project, so it has the same effect. You do have to maintain a seperate file for each subproject tab, but that is a very small price to pay.

I have requested for the capabilty to embed all files into one but that may break the modular nature...this works well enough for me as it is.

JR
johnrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #42
beatbybit

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrule View Post
The subproject part references are saved as part of the main project, so it has the same effect. You do have to maintain a seperate file for each subproject tab, but that is a very small price to pay.

I have requested for the capabilty to embed all files into one but that may break the modular nature...this works well enough for me as it is.

JR
its NOT a very small price to pay - i know it from experience.

embedded containers are requested since years.
still no answer - seems "WIP" means "dead" in this case?

("PiPs are WIP")

*** btw JR, why do you prefer Glue over Apply FX, when you "freeze" the PiP?
Old 12-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #43
Mike Stop Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatbybit View Post
its NOT a very small price to pay - i know it from experience.

embedded containers are requested since years.
still no answer - seems "WIP" means "dead" in this case?

("PiPs are WIP")
I suspect that the real issue is that PiPs/ReaParts are complicated to "do right" and that's why they haven't become official yet. Of course, that's just a theory. Some official word would be nice...
Old 12-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #44
beatbybit

Quote:
I suspect that the real issue is that PiPs/ReaParts are complicated to "do right" and that's why they haven't become official yet.
i think this is true, and already known. but without discussing about the possible issues/solutions its never gonna be "there". user reports/FR _only_ wont help much..

am i wrong?

Quote:
Some official word would be nice...
totally.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:17 PM   #45
qwanta

Quote:
i think this is true, and already known. but without discussing about the possible issues/solutions its never gonna be "there". user reports/FR _only_ wont help much..

am i wrong?

totally.
I wouldn't be too discouraged. I really think that to do PiP's right, you first need a robust project media bay and a sensible ghosting system for media. This is beginning to show up in the v4 alphas.
qwanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #46
beatbybit

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwanta View Post
I wouldn't be too discouraged. I really think that to do PiP's right, you first need a robust project media bay and a sensible ghosting system for media. This is beginning to show up in the v4 alphas.
well, i dont know. true, MediaBay is here, and hopefully improving in the near future. but what about the Ghosting? any news there? for eg can we have in-project (embedded, non-.MID) MIDI items, ghosted? not to mention the audio items.

there is some consistency in Cockos' ideas about "ghosting" - which isnt that useful in most music making situations, imHo.

and the RAM render - its not bad, could be necessary and so on - but having an on-demand render action would be a lifesaver, i think. and i dont mean the Glue/Apply FX - those write files from the RAM-prerendered PiP, afaik.

Vegas' style nesting would help a lot - that writes a temporary (.sfap0) file on the HDD, which is basically a .wav (and/or video). can be deleted anytime, will be re-rendered automatially, if in use. or if we change the content of the "child" session.

here is a short video about it:

http://beatbybit.com/vegas/videos/Ve...-sfap0-001.swf

i hope this could be done "simply" - would save me many hours per day and lots of manual file (render) management.

about embedding : afaik Reaper has ".ReaperTheme" - which is a container file, isnt it? (maybe its a zip?) it holds .pngs and such - wouldnt this be possible with .reaparts? one file - all media embedded. no missing media anymore.

Last edited by beatbybit; 12-22-2010 at 03:34 PM.
beatbybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #47
johnrule

Quote:
I suspect that the real issue is that PiPs/ReaParts are complicated to "do right" and that's why they haven't become official yet. Of course, that's just a theory. Some official word would be nice...
Yes, I am sure it is difficult...maybe a 'monolith' type file as in Kontakt would work. And yes, we need to keep bringing this up so they know it is important.

(In response to beatbybit)
In terms of using 'glue' to freeze, I don't know any other way to do that...do you? By the way, I would like to know an easier way to undo that too.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #48
Mike Stop Continues

Quote:
In terms of using 'glue' to freeze, I don't know any other way to do that...do you? By the way, I would like to know an easier way to undo that too.
If you use action "render item with fx tail" (or something like that), the new render is another take in the same item, so it's easy to delete and switch back to the original.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #49
beatbybit

Quote:

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...0&postcount=15

edit:

hmmm. JR, i see you have "apply track FX.." greyed out, and seems the same here in v4 alpha. i wonder why - its OK in v3.

do you use v4 alpha?

Last edited by beatbybit; 12-22-2010 at 05:51 PM.
beatbybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #50
johnrule

Quote:
Yes, I remember that...

That is the current method for freezing, correct? This 'Glue/PiP' method seems much more intuitive and convenient to me...it freezes the part in place without creating a new track to manage. Is this not better?

Quote:
hmmm. JR, i see you have "apply track FX.." greyed out, and seems the same here in v4 alpha. i wonder why - its OK in v3.

do you use v4 alpha?
I had no FX to render. Once I added an effect, it was not greyed out any more.

I have been downloading the v4 alpha 'daily' updates to test PiP...

JR
Old 12-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #51
beatbybit

Quote:
Yes, I remember that...

That is the current method for freezing, correct? This 'Glue/PiP' method seems much more intuitive and convenient to me...it freezes the part in place without creating a new track to manage. Is this not better?

I had no FX to render. Once I added an effect, it was not greyed out any more.

I have been downloading the v4 alpha 'daily' updates to test PiP...

JR
apply track FX to item as new take - DOESNT create a new track, but adds the frozen wav inplace. better than Glue, if you want UNDO anytime later.

yeah, i see that we have to add an FX first if we want to use that in v4 alphas. it was diff in v3, but its all good, imo. there is a "Render items as new take" - thats the proper "freeze" action.

Glue kills the takes.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #52
johnrule

Quote:
apply track FX to item as new take - DOESNT create a new track, but adds the frozen wav inplace. better than Glue, if you want UNDO anytime later.

yeah, i see that we have to add an FX first if we want to use that in v4 alphas. it was diff in v3, but its all good, imo. there is a "Render items as new take" - thats the proper "freeze" action.

Glue kills the takes.
I think you're right.

Thanks for re-emphasizing this...it's nothing new other than no new take is created. It was easy enough to re-link the object to the subproject, but just deleting a frozen take (leaving the original subproject take) is better...and will most likely be supported!

I will just use "Render items as new take" otherwise I will have to add an FX.

"It's all good" is right!
Old 05-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #53
inspired

bump!

maybe a new thread "pips and reaparts - 2011" should be made?
does anyone know about any changes regarding pip now with reaper 4 beta?

also i tried using a pip for all my drum works, but wasn't practical.. i had many fx there and changing even small changes on the drum project caused the main project to.. wait for the "render"!

so an option for running the pip live just like any project would be better in some cases?
inspired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:44 AM   #54
beatbybit

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspired View Post
bump!

maybe a new thread "pips and reaparts - 2011" should be made?
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...711#post651711

Old 04-18-2017, 02:06 PM   #55
mschnell

Here -> http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...16#post1833916 is a newer feature request that (besides an update to ReaMote) handles the "Live Subproject" feature that seems to be very similar to what is called "PIP" here.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 04-18-2017 at 10:25 PM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:48 PM   #56
M4dM4tt

Default Right there with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by moliere View Post
I've come across a use for PiPs that may be incredibly hard to code for, but would make my life a LOT easier.

I've got a bunch of individual projects, with backing tracks and record enabled sampler tracks. This allows the drummer in one of my bands to play along to a click, triggering our samples from his real kick and snare that has acoustic triggers hooked up and also have our backing samples/patterns all synced up from the computer.

Our songs for a given live set are sequenced into each other with segues/interludes etc, so before we got our drummer, I just laid them up for each gig with the set order and rendered them out for easy access from my iPod. Now that we're running with a live drummer, its a lot more complicated, and I don't want to have to switch projects on the fly. My current solution is to copy and paste all the tracks into one big project, a folder for each song (and many subfolders for a different mix to the drummer and FOH) and move them all along in the timeline while setting up mute automation for my triggered kicks/snares for each song.

unfortunately the upkeep on this if I change projects is insane, and its already hard to keep track of things (and keep automation within a project together (especially if the automation is on a folder track without items, so it doesn't get moved automatically).

if PiPs allowed midi routing into them and realtime interaction, then all this would be easy as! or is this too much to ask?
I'm having about the same problem.
I was searching for a solution to be "active" in one of 13 song project tabs (play stop etc) but having the output from the project go to the "master project" where also the physical output routing happens. There i'd rout the monitoring for the band and the main outs for the venue soundtech.

but there's no such thing (tried with Rewire to Reaper instances, but then you need 2 interfaces and it's still not as easy as should be).
so to avoid doing everey wish for a change in monitoring in 13 projects, and to better control volume levels in all 13 songs, i also put them in to 1 big ass projects of 1h10min playtime, 52tracks and about 40automation envelopes.

so, if there will be a possibility one day to achieve this, i'll be the happiest Reaperian alive .