Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 01-12-2017, 09:38 PM   #161
FnA
Human being with feelings

First of all, thanks! These are valuable additions to MIDI editing in REAPER. I tried them all just prior to your updating to SetAllEvents functionality and they all seemed to work without problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdmusic View Post
Is there a clever way of halting or stopping all running scripts in the midi editor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
The state in the actions list actually reflects the toolbar state, not whether a looping script is still running. So if you have linked the scripts to toolbar buttons, the compress script's button should be highlighted.
Quote:
To stop *all* running scripts, you can use the action ReaScript: Close all running ReaScripts, which is in the "Main" context of the Actions list.
Before I asked the question in srdmusics other thread I looked in one of the scripts. It seemed like you might have some means in place (the toolbar stuff) to terminate things. It might be nice to have one action to terminate any of the cc lane scripts which might be running. (but only those ones. Not ALL running scripts)

Possibly a third way for a user to organize the scripts: I put them all in a submenu in the CC lane right clicker. It seems to work pretty well that way. I like to use Accelerator letters. So to trigger an action goes like so:

Right Click
j - js submenu
2 - 2 sided acceleration

For most of the actions its easy to escape them by moving out of the lane. Right clicking again can allow using the menu as a path to go over without raising or lowering things. The ones it doesn't work well for are the ones that always have an event under the mouse cursor. Hacky and sloppy I admit. A single shortcut to kill any of your scripts which is in effect would clean that up nicely, I think. Possible?
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:22 AM   #162
EvilDragon

Quote:
v5.32 will soon be released so I need to hurry up.

I will upload the new versions of the Remove Redundant CCs scripts in a few minutes. To make them analyze all CCs, set the only_analyze_selected_events option to "false" in the user area of the script.
Thank youuuuuu! This is great
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:32 PM   #163
FnA

Never mind that request Julian. I remembered there is a trick that I can use. Modifier + double right click triggers the main context menu without deleting the CC under the mouse.

Unless it's easy to whip something up...
Old 01-13-2017, 06:48 PM   #164
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
I found a GitHub repo full of REAPER MIDI actions, all documented, with screenshot :
kawaCat/ReaScript-MIDI: Reaper ReaScript MIDI

I paste the link here as it is not on the forum and to give some inspiration to juliansader :P

seem to be a non working link... any other ideas?
Old 01-13-2017, 07:08 PM   #165
FnA

https://stash.reaper.fm/browse.php?q=...a_&cat=Scripts

He has links in his signature and a thread lower down the main page of ReaScript forum currently.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:31 PM   #166
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
Never mind that request Julian. I remembered there is a trick that I can use. Modifier + double right click triggers the main context menu without deleting the CC under the mouse.

Unless it's easy to whip something up...
Very easy! Most of my "lane under mouse" scripts (the LFO Tool being the only exception that I can remember) communicate via REAPER's ExtState, so to tell them to quit, simply run the following one-line script:

Code:
reaper.SetExtState("js_Mouse actions", "Status", "Must quit", false)
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:46 PM   #167
juliansader

Quote:
I'm getting an error when approaching a value of zero in my cc lane or when crossing over to another lane. I'd like the script to write a value of zero when it crosses the lowest value and 127 when it crosses the highest value.
If there are no bugs, the scripts are supposed to quit elegantly when the mouse moves out of the CC lane -- they are definitely not supposed to give errors. Could you give me a quote or screenshot of the error? Hopefully I can quickly fix it.

I will try to see if I can improve the behavior to ensure that 0 or 127 is written.

(P.S. Is the termination of the scripts now working OK?)

Last edited by juliansader; 01-14-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:09 AM   #168
johnnieoperator

Default extra cc Values

High, Got it all working great. Is there anyway to insert additonal CC values to smooth curves/ramps, sometimes when compressing to one side you can end up with gaps between the changes. thanks!
johnnieoperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:56 PM   #169
FnA

WooHoo! Thanks Julian. Pretty slick.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:58 PM   #170
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnieoperator View Post
High, Got it all working great. Is there anyway to insert additonal CC values to smooth curves/ramps, sometimes when compressing to one side you can end up with gaps between the changes. thanks!
This is precisely what the script "js_Insert linear or shaped ramps between selected CCs or pitches in lane under mouse" was made for.

* You can change the script's settings to skip the dialog box, if you prefer.

* An updated version of this script will be uploaded today or tomorrow, so remember to sync ReaPack again soon.

Last edited by juliansader; 01-15-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:48 PM   #171
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer
So If you could modified the following "js_Insert linear or shaped ramps between selected CCs or pitches in lane under mouse.lua" so that it creates ramp from first and last selected note velocity,
Also would like to suggest couple more things. Goal is to remove pop up completely:
- automatic creation of cc bars according to midi editor grid, so ie. x number of bars per beat, that could be set within script itself
- Mini scripts that would call this script with specific shape already selected.
These options have been implemented. I have added a new version of the script entitled js_Insert ramps between selected CCs or velocities (in last clicked lane, without dialog box, at grid spacing) that has the following presets:
- The dialog box is skipped, to allow quick one-click execution.
- The lane in which CCs will be inserted (or velocities altered) is the last clicked lane.
- The CC density will follow the MIDI editor's grid.
- The shape of the ramp is linear.
- Newly inserted CCs will be selected.
- Redundant events will be skipped.

You can also save additional versions with other customized presets.

NB: Also check out Kawa's MIDI_VelocityInterPolation scripts.

Last edited by juliansader; 01-18-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:37 PM   #172
juliansader

Quote:
I'd like the script to write a value of zero when it crosses the lowest value and 127 when it crosses the highest value. Is this possible to code into the script?
This has been implemented - please try it out and let me know if it works correctly. Only when you cross the bottom of the bottom lane to the scrollbar, do you still need to move the mouse a bit more carefully.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:37 PM   #173
juliansader

The new versions of the scripts have been uploaded. It is crucial to update the scripts, since REAPER v5.32 has changed the specifications for notation events, and some of the older script are no longer compatible. (The newer versions are also much faster, and some have gained additional features.)

(The LFO Tool has also been updated.)

Last edited by juliansader; 01-18-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #174
musicbynumbers

Quote:
The new versions of the scripts have been uploaded. It is crucial to update the scripts, since REAPER v5.32 has changed the specifications for notations events, and some of the older script are no longer compatible. (The newer versions are also much faster, and some have gained additional features.)

(The LFO Tool has also been updated.)
Appreciate that thanks!
Old 01-20-2017, 10:56 AM   #175
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Just a side comment, every 'midi editor tool' should be available also for items in arrange, and the opposite. In the end both are about moving 'rectangels in 2D space'.
Coincidentally, among the new features of the updated scripts is that most are now also usable in the inline editor.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:13 AM   #176
srdmusic

Thanks again for these great scripts. They are truly fantastic I wouldn't be able to write in Reaper without them.

I'm still running into some minor errors. Please see the attached error below for reference. I believe the error occurs when I accidentally triggering the draw sine cure action while the mouse is hover over a CC lane divider line. It also give me an error when accidentally triggering the tool the velocity lane. Is there a way to suppress those error messages as it happens quite a bit during the day and becomes cumbersome to click lose on the error messages.

What would be extremely helpful is if the script knew which lane I as intending to draw in.

For example: The way I use your sine curve script is that I hit the number '2' on my key board to start the action set the start point of the curve. Then '2' again to set the end point of the curve (terminates the script). While working quickly I sometimes click below the zero point of the lane. What I think would be useful is if the script didn't terminate when I cross over the 0 or the 127 point of the cc lane. It should remain active until I hit the number 2 even if I am below or above the lane that I previously triggered the command on. If I'm below the last lane I trigger the command. It should write a 0 and set the end point where ever my mouse is horizontally on the screen. Same goes for when I'm above 127. This is exactly how Cubases' curve draw tool works in the midi editor and I would absolutely love to work that way as it's much faster than dealing with the error messages and one does not have to be so careful as to where the mouse is when approaching 0 or 127.
Attached Images
File Type: png Sine Curve Error.PNG (6.0 KB, 302 views)
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:16 AM   #177
srdmusic

I have a feature request for the linear tool and the s-curve tool.

Is there a way to remove the 'snap to grid' part of the script even when snap is active in the midi editor?

I almost never want to snap my CC data to the grid and when I do I'm almost want it to be a completely different action. So I'm constantly turning on and off the grid while using those tools.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #178
srdmusic

Is there a traditional curve draw tool in your scripts?

I use the s-curve tool but don't see a traditional curve tool other than the linear curve tool that can be mouse scrolled to adjust the curve.

One of the best tools in the Cubase MIDI editor is the curve tool. It's elegant because the direction of the curve changes based on weather the user is drawing a curve up or a curve down. When drawing a curve up it's automatically convex and when drawing a curve down it is automatically concave. See attached image below as an example.

There's mouse scrolling around and sonically this is the closest I've found the real dynamics of a player. Especially when writing Mod CC information for orchestral samples.

I'm sure there is a way to do this by modifying one of your existing scripts.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:37 PM   #179
juliansader

Quote:
I'm still running into some minor errors. Please see the attached error below for reference. I believe the error occurs when I accidentally triggering the draw sine cure action while the mouse is hover over a CC lane divider line.
Thanks for the bug report. I have uploaded new versions (v3.20) of the four scripts that should allow drawing of the ramp from a starting position on a lane divider.

Quote:
I have a feature request for the linear tool and the s-curve tool. Is there a way to remove the 'snap to grid' part of the script even when snap is active in the midi editor?
I have added an option "neverSnapToGrid" in the user area of the new scripts.

Quote:
Is there a traditional curve draw tool in your scripts? I use the s-curve tool but don't see a traditional curve tool other than the linear curve tool that can be mouse scrolled to adjust the curve.
I am not sure which "traditional curve" tool you are referring to -- could you please upload the image again?

If you are referring to Cubase's Parabola Tool, and if you prefer not to use the mousewheel, you can emulate the Parabola Tool by setting the "defaultShapePower" parameter in the scripts' user area: Use defaultShapePower = 1 for linear, 2 for 'slow start' parabolic, or 0.5 for 'fast start' parabolic, etc.

(The curve can still be fine-tuned using the mousewheel. Alternatively, the shape can also be adjusted afterwards with the Warp script.)
Old 01-23-2017, 02:03 AM   #180
srdmusic

Quote:
Thanks for the bug report. I have uploaded new versions (v3.20) of the four scripts that should allow drawing of the ramp from a starting position on a lane divider. I have added an option "neverSnapToGrid" in the user area of the new scripts.
Really fantastic work on with the never snap options and the adjustments you made the draw tools. I really can't express my gratitude enough for the pain staking work you put into these.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:18 AM   #181
srdmusic

Quote:
I am not sure which "traditional curve" tool you are referring to -- could you please upload the image again?

If you are referring to Cubase's Parabola Tool, and if you prefer not to use the mousewheel, you can emulate the Parabola Tool by setting the "defaultShapePower" parameter in the scripts' user area: Use defaultShapePower = 1 for linear, 2 for 'slow start' parabolic, or 0.5 for 'fast start' parabolic, etc.

(The curve can still be fine-tuned using the mousewheel. Alternatively, the shape can also be adjusted afterwards with the Warp script.)
You're correct, I am referring to the the parabola tool in Cubase. I've re-uploaded an image of what I'm after. When drawing a parabola starting from the bottom of the lane up, the curve is convex or curved in. When drawing starting from the top of the lane down the curve is concave or curved out. IMHO it sounds much more realistic to how an orchestral player would play dynamically when writing CC data this way. Is there a way to code in an option to automatically change the curve sharp based on where the start point is in relation to the end point?
Attached Images
File Type: png Curve tool.PNG (23.9 KB, 925 views)
Old 01-23-2017, 09:19 PM   #182
juliansader

If you set defaultShapePower to 2, these are exactly the shapes that will drawn as default:

Old 01-29-2017, 10:26 PM   #183
juliansader

Update: I am trying to simplify the use of the mousewheel scripts. (These include Compress, Arch, Draw sine, and Draw linear.)

Using the new version 1.20 of the "js_Run..." script, any of the scripts that use the mousewheel can now be controlled via the mousewheel modifier that is linked to "js_Run..." - even if those scripts are called from their own keyboard shortcuts.

Therefore, whether the scripts are run from the toolbar (using the keyboard shortcut that is linked to "js_run...") or from their own keyboard shortcuts, they can all be controlled via a single mousewheel modifier.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:13 PM   #184
juliansader

Performance tip:

I have just discovered that certain plugins' "graphics acceleration" can result in a big performance hit in REAPER, if the plugin is not compatible with the computer's graphics driver.

The performance hit may continue even after the plugin is taken offline.

So, if my scripts ever become slow and jerky, please check whether the culprit is a plugin with graphics acceleration, and try disabling the graphics acceleration.

(EDIT: Original thread at Some plugins make deferred scripts very slow, even if plugin is offline.)

Last edited by juliansader; 02-28-2017 at 04:15 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:49 AM   #185
deeb

First of all : it's amazing and congratulation for what you did!
I am having problems to "Add all of the 'lane under mouse' scripts to the toolbar." because when i custumize toolbar and add a script and then select this scripts in midi editor section the select box is not highlighted and so i cannot select it. What could be wrong in my part?
deeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:09 AM   #186
Lorbakounet

Hey, just passing by to drop a huge THANKS !

Since juliansader, Kawa and others delivered those scripts, my Reaper MIDI experience has been night and day.
I've been saving for a Cubase license for a couple of months with a heavy heart, and now, well now I guess I have to give you what's left of this money
Lorbakounet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:51 AM   #187
lowellben

Quote:
Performance tip:

I have just discovered that certain plugins' "graphics acceleration" can result in a big performance hit in REAPER, if the plugin is not compatible with the computer's graphics driver.

The performance hit may continue even after the plugin is taken offline.

So, if my scripts ever become slow and jerky, please check whether the culprit is a plugin with graphics acceleration, and try disabling the graphics acceleration.
You mean disable acceleration in Reaper, using Reaper preferences? Or like your Nvidia panel, custom application, Reaper, override 3d acceleration? Can you assist please? Thanks
Old 02-28-2017, 04:22 AM   #188
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
You mean disable acceleration in Reaper, using Reaper preferences? Or like your Nvidia panel, custom application, Reaper, override 3d acceleration? Can you assist please? Thanks
In my case, I disabled graphics acceleration in the misbehaving plugins' own settings.
* I am not sure whether overriding 3D settings in the Nvidia control panel will work better or worse (or at all).
* As far as I know, REAPER does not itself utilize graphics acceleration (but I may be mistaken).

I have update the post above to link to the original discussion thread: Some plugins make deferred scripts very slow, even if plugin is offline.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:23 AM   #189
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorbakounet View Post
I've been saving for a Cubase license for a couple of months with a heavy heart, and now, well now I guess I have to give you what's left of this money
Thanks!
Old 03-12-2017, 01:21 PM   #190
artao

Oh wow, these look sweet!! I didn't even realize I was missing such cool functionality, but totally know that CC editing can be a PITA.

Now I just have to remember that I installed all these, and actually make use of them. (for instance, I totally forgot that I had installed ReaPack, until I read that I could install these via that LOL .... makes me wonder what ELSE I've forgotten I installed)
artao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:33 AM   #191
Arnar

I have installed reapack, and everything that came with it and yet these scripts do not show up ... Any ideas ?
Arnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:41 AM   #192
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnar View Post
I have installed reapack, and everything that came with it and yet these scripts do not show up ... Any ideas ?
Do you mean that the scripts do not even show up in the Actions list?

(A few of the scripts are in the Actions list's "Main" context, but most are in the "MIDI editor" context.)
Old 03-16-2017, 02:34 PM   #193
dimitris

Hi,

These CC scripts should be included in standard Reaper, at least the basic stuff, such as drawing curves, or compressing/expanding. Great job and thank you very much juliansader!

I'm having a hard time getting them to work. I tried assigning one of them (drawing curves in real time) to a shortcut key, a button in the MIDI Editor toolbar as well. When I place my mouse over a cc lane and hit the shortcut key I get a real time drawing of a straight line between the mouse initial position and the current one, but if I move the wheel I get the regular timeline zoom in/out, not the curve adjustment I was expecting. Could you please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks again!
dimitris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:23 PM   #194
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitris View Post
but if I move the wheel I get the regular timeline zoom in/out, not the curve adjustment I was expecting. Could you please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks again!
To use the mousewheel with my scripts, you must explicitly assign a mousewheel + keyboard modifier combination (such as Crtl+mousewheel) to the script, similar to how you assigned the keyboard shortcut.

Per default, mousewheel + no keyboard modifiers is assigned to the "View: Scroll vertically (MIDI relative/mousewheel)" action.

In the case of my scripts, you can link mousewheel+modifier shortcuts to each individual script that follow mousewheel movement (such as js_Draw linear or curved ramps...). However, this is not ideal, since it would mean that you must remember several modifier combinations, one for each script.

It is easier to link a single mousewheel+modifier shortcut to the "master control script", which has the long name starting with js_Run the js lane under mouse script..., and this single mousewheel+modifier can then be used to control any of the other scripts, after launching them with the keyboard shortcut.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:14 PM   #195
dimitris

Ah, beautiful! Works like a charm! Again, thank you so much!
dimitris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:03 AM   #196
EvilDragon

Julian, your 2-sided warp script is shown with wrong name in ReaPack (has same name as 1-sided warp), so it's a bit confusing.

Also, did anyone perhaps create some toolbar icons for your MIDI event warping actions? It'd be better than text...

Last edited by EvilDragon; 03-18-2017 at 06:16 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:03 PM   #197
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Julian, your 2-sided warp script is shown with wrong name in ReaPack (has same name as 1-sided warp), so it's a bit confusing.
Oops, thanks for letting me know! Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Also, did anyone perhaps create some toolbar icons for your MIDI event warping actions? It'd be better than text...
Not that I am aware of. (BTW, I find it easier and faster to use keyboard shortcuts for these mouse-editing actions. For example, 1 = 1-sided warp, 2 = 2-sided warp, S = Stretch, etc.)
Old 03-18-2017, 02:06 PM   #198
lowellben

Quote:
Oops, thanks for letting me know! Fixed.

Not that I am aware of. (BTW, I find it easier and faster to use keyboard shortcuts for these mouse-editing actions. For example, 1 = 1-sided warp, 2 = 2-sided warp, S = Stretch, etc.)
Good idea!
Old 03-18-2017, 04:18 PM   #199
EvilDragon

Quote:
Yeah, I have those keys taken already with something else.

I'm going with the one-action-and-mousewheel-modifier script approach.

By the way, wouldn't it be great if all your actions that have GUIs use reaper.Main_OnCommand(reaper.NamedCommandLookup('_ BR_MOVE_WINDOW_TO_MOUSE_H_R_V_B'),0) to spawn at mouse cursor position, perhaps?

Last edited by EvilDragon; 03-19-2017 at 02:16 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #200
hopi

Julian... I'm not having sucess with the compress cc [velocity events] with the mousewheel script...

Can you help me out plz? I have it set to the key press of K, and I have it in a toolbar for the MIDI Ed.... but I never get it to work.

I was also wondering if it is not possible to have a script like that one work as 'armed'... you know, with a rt clk on the toolbar icon for it???

key commands are nice but it is becomming insane to use them with so many actions and scripts, so few keys and so little user memory... ya know what I'm sayin'?