Old 12-06-2017, 10:22 PM   #1
PitchSlap
Human being with feelings

Default v5.65rc1 Broke My Rulers (LICEcap)

# Ruler: handle project measure offset properly

Whatever this fixed, I think it should only apply to new projects since the result for me is that the ruler on all my existing projects is now off, and the grid-lines aren't where they should be.

I've always used an offset of -5 measures as part of my default projects to have some extra space at the beginning and haven't had any problems until now.

Below are examples of the exact same project:

v5.65rc1+ (Not Good)

v5.65pre18 (How It's Supposed To Be)
Old 12-07-2017, 06:04 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

I'm not seeing this bug.

Are you saying that projects that were started in an earlier prerelease are now displaying differently, or that projects started in a released version are now displaying differently?

If the problem is that projects started in an earlier prerelease, which may have had a bug where the project measure offset was not displayed in the ruler, are now displaying differently because the bug has been fixed, I'm afraid that will be up to you to fix by adjusting the measure offset in those projects.

If the problem is that projects started in a released version are now displaying differently, that's something we need to fix. If that is the case, could you attach an example project please? (no need for media or FX or even any tracks.)

Thanks!
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #3
PitchSlap

Thanks for the reply.

I'd been comparing between pre18 and newer versions but went back to 5.62.

All projects created with any prior pre or official release don't display as they are expected to as the ruler divisions have changed. Rather than at 11, 19 and 27, they are at 9, 17 and 25.

The latter is obviously more "correct", but when Reaper shifts the ruler in a new version without also shifting everything else in existing projects by the same amount it's doing more breaking than fixing.

For me the actual ruler numbers are irrelevant, it's the relation between them.

Changing the offset from -5 bars to -7 bars seems to be the fastest way to make it display as intended so it's easy to fix on my end, just a minor annoyance with 10 years of existing projects.

Below are examples from my default project (barest bones attached) which starts with a basic 16-bar loop.

5.62 and Before

5.65rc4
Attached Files
File Type: rpp The Rulers Are Not Aligned With the People.rpp (2.5 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by PitchSlap; 12-07-2017 at 02:51 PM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:53 PM   #4
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
Thanks for the reply.

All projects created with any prior pre or official release don't display as they are expected to as the ruler divisions have changed. Rather than at 11, 19 and 27, they are at 9, 17 and 25.
I loaded your project and the selection is exactly the same in 5.62 and 5.65RC4, 11.1 to 27.1.

Maybe I don't understand what you mean, can only guess your 5.65 'default project settings' was not using the same of zoom level as 5.62 when you did a 'save project as default setting' so now the ruler looks maybe more compressed then your used to?
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:34 PM   #5
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
I loaded your project and the selection is exactly the same in 5.62 and 5.65RC4, 11.1 to 27.1.

Maybe I don't understand what you mean, can only guess your 5.65 'default project settings' was not using the same of zoom level as 5.62 when you did a 'save project as default setting' so now the ruler looks maybe more compressed then your used to?

The selection is the same, it's the ruler that's changed.

At the same zoom level prior versions would have major ruler divisions at 11.1 and 27.1, now they are at 9.1 and 25.1

It doesn't matter much with an empty project, but with existing projects my regions/items are offset because the ruler lines have moved. The projects were created based on the grid/ruler as it was, not how it is.

The first post better shows what the problem is, but that version had a different bug. Ignore the bar number differences, but keep the ruler discrepancies...

Last edited by PitchSlap; 12-07-2017 at 07:41 PM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post

The latter is obviously more "correct", but when Reaper shifts the ruler in a new version without also shifting everything else in existing projects by the same amount it's doing more breaking than fixing.

If you load an old project that had a region starting at bar X, in the new version it still starts at bar X, right? The only issue is which bars get labeled in the timeline?

It's definitely the intended behavior to label, at a certain zoom level, every 4 bars. For example, bars 1, 5, 9, etc. Previously, with a -1 measure project offset, the labels would appear at -1, 3, 7, etc. I would call the previous behavior a minor bug. Measure 1 should get labeled regardless of your project offset.

Screenshot attached, new behavior on the top. To be clear, nothing has moved, the only change is that the labels now properly appear at 4-bar increments starting from measure 1.

schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:51 AM   #7
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
If you load an old project that had a region starting at bar X, in the new version it still starts at bar X, right? The only issue is which bars get labeled in the timeline?

It's definitely the intended behavior to label, at a certain zoom level, every 4 bars. For example, bars 1, 5, 9, etc. Previously, with a -1 measure project offset, the labels would appear at -1, 3, 7, etc. I would call the previous behavior a minor bug. Measure 1 should get labeled regardless of your project offset.

Screenshot attached, new behavior on the top. To be clear, nothing has moved, the only change is that the labels now properly appear at 4-bar increments starting from measure 1.
That's exactly right. The item positions are the same, but the labels are off which quickly gets confusing while zooming.

I was used to the existing minor bug, but in my original post there was a different bug which actually changed the item positions.

Changing the offset by 2 bars is quite simple compared to what I had been doing so I can live with that.

Maybe if a project was saved with a previous version, has a PROJOFFS, and the timeline is in Measures.Beats the offset could automatically be adjusted or the items/selection moved to so the ruler divisions still match up?

I don't know how many other users will be affected by the fix, but it could be a head-scratcher having everything "off" the grid all of a sudden.