Old 12-14-2017, 08:15 PM   #1
scottfa
Human being with feelings

Default Two midi keyboards at the same time?

I know you can use midi omni, but I want to use two keyboards and EXCLUDE a drum controller on an input. Sonar has/had a midi input filter chain that did this, pretty handy for me.
Thanks for any responses....
scottfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:57 PM   #2
cymbals

In the track settings you select a midi device, so you could have two different tracks set to each keyboard. Make sense?
cymbals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:22 AM   #3
scottfa

Yep, not quite as elegent but doable. Thanks I'll try it out.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:45 AM   #4
cymbals

If you want, temporarily disable the drumcontroller, and set the midi to all in the track. That would have both keyboards on the same track. You could split them up with channels. If you want to use either, both or all three as a controller (and not just a keyboard), you need to set that in the midi settings.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:31 AM   #5
scottfa

Trying to avoid disabling the controller. I typically swirch between my drum vsti and any bass, string etc vsti by switching midi tracks. The "extra" kryboard extends the range of the orher keyboard. Still need to give the two midi tracks idea a go. Only 8:30 am here.......
Old 12-15-2017, 07:15 AM   #6
Softsynth

I use multiple keyboards and typically 6-7 controls together (two or three keyboard).
It depends on how you want them to function. If you want sounds to be fully exclusive to a virtual instrument (not also available to the other MIDI devices to control) assign a new channel to a controller (if firmware programming allows) and also specify channel on the other sounds (when in Reaper, or other DAW).

Say I want to have piano or synth and use all my extra controllers (bar one) MIDI: all: Channel 1.

Then say I want a synth on a separate keyboard with no interference from other controllers input. MIDI: "choose a keyboard from list": channel 16 (my assigned channel here).
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:46 AM   #7
lunker

I created a track template with a parent folder, and child tracks that are each assigned to one of my MIDI controllers. That way when I want to record/use multiple controllers for the same VST, I just load the template, delete the child tracks for the unneeded MIDI controllers, and load the VST into the parent track.

Depending on what I want, I can either record the MIDI from each controller separately onto its child track, and then let it get summed together and pass through to the parent track, or I can record the sum as a single item in the parent track.
lunker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:09 PM   #8
scottfa

Ok, got both keyboard s pointing to the synth using separate midi tracks . Saved as a track template but have not reloaded the template yet. I expect it will work. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:20 PM   #9
cymbals

congrats!