Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 07-20-2019, 02:06 AM   #441
nitsuj
Human being with feelings

Quote:
I have one question though you indicate that the HQ mode adds some latency, but I do not find this reported by Reaper. when I change between the quality modes from Digital to HQ and back.. Please clarify why Reaper does not inform me of any change in PDC..
Thanks for the kind words!

It depends on your project sampling rate. HQ only works for 44.1kHz and 48kHz rates. For anything higher it's bypassed as it's not really needed.
nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:28 AM   #442
kodebode2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj View Post
Thanks for the kind words!

It depends on your project sampling rate. HQ only works for 44.1kHz and 48kHz rates. For anything higher it's bypassed as it's not really needed.
Excellent.

Now I understand why PDC did not apply to my scenario, I run @ 96K or higher, almost exclusively.

About a week ago, I became interested in developing Jesusonic effects, as I have a few aging 32 bit plugins which will never be ported to 64 bit - various reasons - developer no longer working on it - site is down or has been for years - initial development platform like SynthEdit not supporting 64 bit plugin, and I also have some ideas which are not in any plugin, or at least not implemented as I want them, so tried my hands at modifiying one of the JS plugins. I'm a previous sofware programmer - day job for about 10 years a while back, so I did get the hang of it after a few stumbling blocks and lots of head scratching/use of the debugger.

On the positive side, Reaper/Jesusonic are the most open and easy to use development tools for audio I know of, easy to consider getting into, you need very little - even the text editor is built in, and I realise for me at least, is the best place to do the actual coding - cos it does all the parsing, debugging in one place... and is a "free" add on..

On the not so positive side, I found out the hard way, that rand(x) did not work properly when values of x were less than 1 e.g 0.4, could yield results greater than 0.4 - very strange. Took me a while to figure out what was going on.

And no functions like round(). I had to create my own.....!!

Eventually my plugin did work - it was a MIDI modifier, and I am absolutely enjoying using it and will share it with the community, when I have time to tidy up the code - publishing one's code can be quite touching, something I have never had to do publicly.

There does not seem to be a single reference book on the subject, similar to the excellent user guide for Reaper itself - the "bible"..

What resources did you use to become proficient in JSFX,and regrettably it is a bit difficult to divorce the knowledge of JSFX from knowledge of the domain areas to which it applies the most - MIDI, Audio DSP, and GUI's...?

My next target is a simple gain/trim plugin for audio, should be not too difficult - we take it in baby steps...

I'd definitely like to hear your viewpoint and tips on becoming proficient at JSFX development.
kodebode2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:10 AM   #443
pepe44

This is getting always better !! What a fantastic EQ. really.
If you make all the analogue eq curves available ( like the DMG audio Equilibirum) on this, it will be possibly the best Digital Eq made only for Reaper!
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:17 AM   #444
daeavelwyn

Default CPU usage still too high

Hello,

Thank you so much for this Eq, it's a wonderfull work you've done !(And IMO it should be included natively in reaper to replace reaeq!)

I've read the entire thread and installed the lastest version but I still get CPU usage very high !

Here is a link to watch the problem :
https://imgur.com/a/kvhuj9T

I have a core i5-4210U (@1,7 Ghz), 12 Go of RAM, SSD drive and windows 10 1809 installed.

Any suggestions are welcome to help me to work with this great plugin !
daeavelwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:42 AM   #445
Csabb

cpu is what it is in this format, I don't think it can be made a lot leaner.

them curves need juice
Old 07-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #446
MaXyM

Quote:
It was changed to using a modifier because double click is going to be used to bring up manual number entry. It's pretty standard.
Fair enough, but:
Reaper applies different standards
ReEQ doesn't allow to enter values. At least double click doesn't do anything on my end

MaXyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:39 PM   #447
kodebode2

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeavelwyn View Post
Hello,

Thank you so much for this Eq, it's a wonderfull work you've done !(And IMO it should be included natively in reaper to replace reaeq!)

I've read the entire thread and installed the lastest version but I still get CPU usage very high !

Here is a link to watch the problem :
https://imgur.com/a/kvhuj9T

I have a core i5-4210U (@1,7 Ghz), 12 Go of RAM, SSD drive and windows 10 1809 installed.

Any suggestions are welcome to help me to work with this great plugin !
I run a laptop with exactly the same CPU, and typically each instance of ReEQ v 1.0.3 (latest version as of this post) uses up no more than about 3% CPU as reported by Reaper.

So getting about 4% CPU demand from ReEQ on your laptop is not abnormal, see below things which could have had an impact on the CPU.....

I have another laptop with a slightly different CPU on which ReEQ appears to use more CPU, and this other laptop has been a nightmare, no matter what I do to it to improve it, it just runs slow - my last resort is to completely reinstall it. It is supposed to be a gaming capable laptop cos it has a discrete GPU. Yet it does much worse than the other laptop which uses INtels integrated GPU.

What's the difference? The laptop which runs fine, runs all day long at the full burst speed of 2.5 Ghz, all day and the speed does not change.....I run both laptops in high performance mode via the Power Options.

The other laptop which misbehaves, rarely gets up to the full speed, cos of something known as throttling - having to slow things down to avoid overheating the CPU and GPU.

So the question from me is - is there something about your laptop ( and this is a common issue, [which most people do not notice until they try to do something really demanding like all audio usually is, on the computer - audio processing is extremely time sensitive and the CPU has to respond without delay, keeping the CPU "busy", demanding immediate response far more than any other end user app/software.] ), which causes it to perform below the full potential speed of the CPU?

It could be one of many things, Power Options settings, antivirus software, other software, Wifi, Blue tooth, that causes this issue, BIOS settings, The throttling algorithm of your laptop - i.e how it manages the cooling down to avoid destroying the CPU from overheating. Some laptops, especially the ones with poor cooling, hide this inefficiency by being overly aggressive with throttling/slowing down the CPU.

My good laptop which runs at 2.4 Ghz all day is as cool as a cucumber (almost), I can barely feel any heat from its body, airvents, fans, so it has no need to slow the processor down, cos it has excellent cooling.

My poor performing laptop which throttles like crazy, is a very warm - more like hot to the touch near the cooling fan, I cannot actually use is placed on my lap - it is simply too hot for this. (no pun intended).

When the CPU throttles, e.g runs at 1.6Ghz instead of 2.4Ghz the maximum, the CPU % of each plugin of the total CPU available at this lover speed is higher, than it would be on a similar CPU which was not throttling its speed.

While you may not be able to fix the issue if the throttling behavior cannot be changed by the end user (very typical cos most laptop manufacturers will not allow you to mess around with their safeguards - purportedly for your own sake!!), it is important to check, are you running at 2.4 Gz all the time, or not?

If I may add - All Jesusonic plugins are "interpreted" rather than compiled and therefore =use up more CPU, than non Jesusonic plugins

Last edited by kodebode2; 07-23-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:36 PM   #448
MaXyM

Did you try to clean up the throttling laptop from a dust? I mean after disassemble its cover.
It often happens that a laptop cannot cool down itself because of dirt collected inside.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:43 AM   #449
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodebode2 View Post
I'd definitely like to hear your viewpoint and tips on becoming proficient at JSFX development.
Read the JSFX forums there's lots of great info on them. The EEL2 language isn't that complicated so read up everything you can on it.

There are lots of tips such as avoiding arrays [] when you can by unrolling, Array access in JSFX is slow. Pay particular attention to your code in the @sample block as this gets executed very frequently to process your audio.

The fastest code is the code that doesn't get executed.

Other than that look at as much JSFX code as you can and don't be afraid to make copies and play with them.

It can be a lot of fun...I originally set out to write a simple high pass filter and kind of got carried away ending up with ReEQ
Old 07-24-2019, 02:50 AM   #450
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXyM View Post
ReEQ doesn't allow to enter values. At least double click doesn't do anything on my end
That's because the number entry isn't in a release build yet.

I altered the set to zero modifier double-click in anticipation for it.

It's mostly working - just need a bit more time to knuckle down and get it finished.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:07 AM   #451
MaXyM

thank you. amazing work
Old 07-24-2019, 05:24 PM   #452
the brok

hi nitsuj,

first off - thanks massively for creating this monster - i love it.
however - while it works flawlessly in reaper, my main host is studio one, where i use the vst version of jsfx - and there it sadly doesn't show up - not the eq, nor the analyszer (error see attached pic).
am i doing something wrong or can you do something about it?
it'd be nice to get it to work...
Attached Images
File Type: png reeq error.png (18.9 KB, 377 views)
the brok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:05 AM   #453
kodebode2

Quote:
Originally Posted by the brok View Post
hi nitsuj,

however - while it works flawlessly in reaper, my main host is studio one, where i use the vst version of jsfx - and there it sadly doesn't show up - not the eq, nor the analyszer (error see attached pic).
it'd be nice to get it to work...
The vst version of jsfx is not in sync with the version included in reaper DAW. Its also updated pretty infrequently, so you won't be able to use many of the recently developed jsfx plugins.

I also spent hours trying to get ReEQ to work in another DAW. Kinda makes sense for Cockos to keep the best bits exclusive to their main product Reaper, especially as the reaplugs is 100%free, and also is not available for Mac, so any major work to support it and keep it current, is of no commercial benefit to Cockos.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:49 AM   #454
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by the brok View Post
Thanks - glad you like it

Quote:
As kodebode2 wrote, the JSFX VST is quite out of date and doesn't support a lot of current EEL2. That's in the hands of Cockos.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:50 PM   #455
the brok

hi nitsuj and kodebode 2,

thanks for the fast reply. that's actually sad to hear. but yeah, then it seems to be in the hand of the reaper developers...
the brok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:22 AM   #456
sai'ke

I made an FR for this a while back: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=219785 but understandably, it is likely not very high priority.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:02 AM   #457
fAbbAd

Default great job

Great job man, thank you so much.
Ps. There's a beer for you!!
fAbbAd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:21 AM   #458
kodebode2

It came to my notice that ReEQ has 4 inputs in Reaper, with two of them labelled as side chain.

Is there any feature in ReEQ that uses these side chains?
Old 08-04-2019, 11:22 AM   #459
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by fAbbAd View Post
Great job man, thank you so much.
Ps. There's a beer for you!!
Thank you so much! Cheers!
Old 08-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #460
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodebode2 View Post
It came to my notice that ReEQ has 4 inputs in Reaper, with two of them labelled as side chain.

Is there any feature in ReEQ that uses these side chains?
Well spotted. They're placeholders for at least the possibility of making ReEQ a dynamic EQ at some point.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:53 AM   #461
silksow

Quote:
the possibility of making ReEQ a dynamic EQ at some point.
Wow! Is there no end to your ambition, sir? Anyway, enthusiastically waiting to see ReEQ in ReaPack
Old 08-10-2019, 11:37 AM   #462
Zeno

Awesome JSFXs!!

* CMD/Window key + double click now zeros values in the bottom row

Doesn't work for me. the parameters are not reset to default. The windows key opens the windows start menu by default when I release the key.
Zeno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:44 AM   #463
MaXyM

Use ALT instead
(I mentioned it in the past already, I suppose it's a typo in the manual)
Old 08-11-2019, 02:45 PM   #464
Zeno

Quote:
Use ALT instead
(I mentioned it in the past already, I suppose it's a typo in the manual)
I've already tried all sorts of modifier buttons and combinations. None of this resets the parameter to its default state.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:24 PM   #465
xpander

It's not ALT either but CTRL + double-click, at least with version 1.0.5 here. Resets parameters individually, not all of them at once. Doesn't work for selections like Economy/HQ and M/S - Left/Right.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:33 AM   #466
Zeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
It's not ALT either but CTRL + double-click, at least with version 1.0.5 here. Resets parameters individually, not all of them at once. Doesn't work for selections like Economy/HQ and M/S - Left/Right.
Yes, I tested it with version 1.0.5. For me, the reset to default doesn't work. single-click, double-click, left, right, middle... nothing happens. Neither with the ALT, nor with CTRL or Windows key. And also in no combination with each other. I've tested it on ALL parameters: nothing happens...
Old 08-12-2019, 03:48 AM   #467
MaXyM

I've tested it today, and it's partially true.
Resetting to default works for parameters on the bottom of the window (ie. output boost). It doesn't work for filter parameters like slope or frequency.

I don't global hotkeys can contribute to your issue, but check out if you didn't set some global hot keys which might interfere.

BTW sorry for misleading with ALT. The modifier is CTRL indeed. It needs revising it to stick with some standards (it would be hard there are as much practices as possible combinations)
Old 08-15-2019, 01:04 AM   #468
nitsuj

Quote:
I've tested it today, and it's partially true.
Resetting to default works for parameters on the bottom of the window (ie. output boost). It doesn't work for filter parameters like slope or frequency.

I don't global hotkeys can contribute to your issue, but check out if you didn't set some global hot keys which might interfere.

BTW sorry for misleading with ALT. The modifier is CTRL indeed. It needs revising it to stick with some standards (it would be hard there are as much practices as possible combinations)
I'm open to whatever would work best. It's true though - the CTRL + double click only resets numeric values at the moment. The modifier was added because the intention (when I finally get around to finishing it!) is to have it so that double-clicking a number lets you type the value in.

But yeah, it's a bit of a juggling act now.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #469
sts

I like this EQ very much. Just sent you a beer.
sts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:30 AM   #470
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sts View Post
I like this EQ very much. Just sent you a beer.
Thank you good sir!
Old 08-19-2019, 04:27 AM   #471
todd_r

Any Reapack progress?
todd_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:48 AM   #472
cjewellstudios

I noticed the q control on the high pass and low pass filters don't provide resonant bumps at the corner frequency. (or do they on the different filter types?)

EDIT: Not sure what I was on about, they definitely do the resonant bump thing... My apologies! Still loving this eq

Last edited by cjewellstudios; 09-09-2019 at 04:13 AM.
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:53 PM   #473
HDWind

Nitsuj, before the release of the new version, i ask you to add the following innovations:

1) ReEQ is an eight-band parametric equaliser.
Please increase the number of bands from 8 to 12.
Working in project, a few pairs of bands are not enough and i have to hang up a second copy of the equalizer, which is not very convenient.
It happens that the project needs 10-12 extra pairs of bands. In this case, i need to use three copy of the equalizer.
It would be ideal to have 24 bands, as is done in Fab Filter Pro-Q2 / Q3. An average variant of 16-18 bands would also be convenient.
Please increase the minimum to 12.

2) The equalizer has a convenient tool for visualizing Pre and Post signals. We can enable through settings.
But there is not enough freezing (pause function). Please add this pause mode, it will be very convenient!
I suggest making a keyboard shortcut for this function and also making turn on a pause function through the middle mouse button.
Double activation of the freeze (pause function), through the keyboard and mouse.

3) By default, when a filter node is selected we see the bottom centred panel reflect it's properties.To hide or show the panel we click on the 'PANEL' toggle button at the bottom of the window.
Please add a option in the settings to keep the panel always visible in the center so that it does not disappear.
If this is not very difficult, add one more parameter for settings - automatically move this panel depending on the position of the strip, as in FabFilter Pro-Q2 / Q3.
These options work according to the principle of the switch on/off.

Last edited by HDWind; 08-31-2019 at 05:12 PM.
HDWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:26 AM   #474
elcalen

Default Weird CPU behaviour on my Linux system

Hiya! First of all, ReEQ looks really nice and has basically all the features I'm looking for in a parametric EQ!

I'm quite new to Reaper and I've been trying it, and various plugins, out on my Linux machine (Debian testing, 64-bit). Testing ReEQ, it mostly seems to work fine on my system. However, when I was watching the CPU performance, I noticed some really weird behaviour. When it is idle, as in Reaper is not playing and no sound is going through ReEQ, its CPU usage INCREASES. The amount seems to vary a little, but it can go up to, like, twice the previous level. The moment sound plays again, the CPU usage goes back down. Having the FX window closed or opened doesn't seem to affect it much.

I saw earlier in this thread someone commenting that on their Arm linux system CPU usage increased when the window was closed. I don't know if this is related to the issue I'm seeing.

I dunno if this is a bug in ReEQ, or a bug in the linux implementation of JSFX, or what. But I haven't seen this behaviour with other plugins I've tested.
elcalen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:41 AM   #475
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcalen View Post
I dunno if this is a bug in ReEQ, or a bug in the linux implementation of JSFX,
I don't get that behavior with ReEQ. I'm using Reaper5983+dev0905 on Linux Mint 19.2, Xfce 4.12.3, 5.0.0-27-lowlatency x86_64 kernel. I've tested in eco and hiq settings, with various bands enabled in different stereo/mid-side configurations, with and without AGC enabled, with or without the plugin window open.

What version of ReEQ are you using? The latest is 1.0.5 at the time of this post.

Is your CPU throttling (CPU frequency governor set to anything other than "performance")? If so, you could be seeing a change of the % of "available CPU" at the time based on the current frequency of the CPU, which will scale as the CPU gets more or less demand. For instance your CPU frequency might be as low as 800 Hz with nothing playing, but as you start playback that demands more of the CPU (processing audio on various tracks, VSTi, other plugins too, etc.) and then the CPU % you see for ReEQ shows as being scaled down just by coincidence because your CPU is now operating at a higher frequency (something closer to what it's "rated" at, like 3.5 GHz). Reaper can only report the % of the CPU a plugin uses, at the frequency the CPU is operating. That includes any BIOS settings like "CPU boost" which will overclock the CPU as it gets more demand.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 09-08-2019 at 10:01 AM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #476
elcalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I don't get that behavior with ReEQ. I'm using Reaper5983+dev0905 on Linux Mint 19.2, Xfce 4.12.3, 5.0.0-27-lowlatency x86_64 kernel. I've tested in eco and hiq settings, with various bands enabled in different stereo/mid-side configurations, with and without AGC enabled, with or without the plugin window open.

What version of ReEQ are you using? The latest is 1.0.5 at the time of this post.

Is your CPU throttling (CPU frequency governor set to anything other than "performance")? If so, you could be seeing a change of the % of "available CPU" at the time based on the current frequency of the CPU, which will scale as the CPU gets more or less demand. For instance your CPU frequency might be as low as 800 Hz with nothing playing, but as you start playback that demands more of the CPU (processing audio on various tracks, VSTi, other plugins too, etc.) and then the CPU % you see for ReEQ shows as being scaled down just by coincidence because your CPU is now operating at a higher frequency (something closer to what it's "rated" at, like 3.5 GHz). Reaper can only report the % of the CPU a plugin uses, at the frequency the CPU is operating. That includes any BIOS settings like "CPU boost" which will overclock the CPU as it gets more demand.
I should have version 1.0.5 (downloaded a couple days ago from the first post in this thread).

And yes, I thought of CPU throttling too, but I'm seeing the same behaviour with the governor set to both performance and powersave modes. And like I said, I'm not seeing similar behaviour with other plugins I've tried...

Edit: oh yeah, and I'm on the current version of Reaper (5.983). And I've tried changing eco/hq settings etc. Eco mode obviously lessens CPU use, but the weird increase while idling is still there.
elcalen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:38 AM   #477
daeavelwyn

Hello Elcalen

I got the same behaviour until someone in the forum said me to switch from HQ mode to Eco mode as swhon here : https://imgur.com/a/Jzvk3rO
daeavelwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:31 AM   #478
nitsuj

Just a ping to let everyone who's following know that there will be some more mods coming up - just been really busy with work and the holiday season here.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #479
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Just a ping to let everyone who's following know that there will be some more mods coming up - just been really busy with work and the holiday season here.
can't wait!
Old 09-22-2019, 08:29 AM   #480
boomwoof

incredible equalizer! As if I could program, I would do it this way. I am looking forward to the possibility of dynamic eq! Thanks a lot!
boomwoof is offline   Reply With Quote