Old 04-20-2006, 08:27 AM   #1
Amether
Human being with feelings

Default Complex time sigs

Something that I have ALWAYS wanted from a multitracker, which is (probably) so simple, but I've never seen (perhaps because I've used the wrong apps) is: complex time signature support.

So let's just say I'm doing my cover version of Tubular Bells, I have my bar of 7/8, and then one of 8/8. Instead of making one big rubbish bar of 15/8, or repeatedly manually changing time sig, it would be good to specify it in the project settings like 7.000:8.000, and specify '8th note' in another box. I'd end up with a 7/8 bar, then an 8/8 bar, then a 7/8 bar, then an 8/8 bar... Is this doable?

The more I use and get used to it, I am feeling a little like I'm falling in love with Reaper. Which is a bit odd, really.
Amether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:39 AM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Currently reaper only supports one time signature, but it doesnt really enforce you to obey.. especially if you have just a few measures that differ, you can create a tempo envelope, and add points where you want the measures to begin, keeping the tempo constant. This will work to shorten any measures you choose (but not lengthen). At some point we will add markers that can change the signature.

-Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
randygo

FYI, I believe Acid Pro 6.0 supports complex time signatures.

Cheers,

Randy
randygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:57 PM   #4
Amether

Thanks for the reply, Justin. I think I may not have explained myself particularly well though. Instead of many time sigs, all I'm asking for is one time sig, with multiple parts. ie, the project I'm working on now, is made of two bars of 6/4 and then two of 4/4. Using markers here wouldn't be quite right as I'd have to manually put a marker in every couple of bars... If I could specify at the very start, 'OK, this is what I'm going to be doing for this track: 6/4, 6/4, 4/4, 4/4' and it puts this repeating throughout the entire piece, and the odd bar I have in 9/8 or whatever I put in with a marker... I understand perhaps I'm not calling for something that's on the top of everyone's Xmas list, but it'd be kinda neat.
Amether is offline   Reply With Quote