Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 02-02-2019, 04:41 PM   #1
RDBOIS
Banned

Default Quick question - MIDI & Latency Manual Offset

I'm rather new to recording MIDI in Reaper.

The context:

I plugged in a USB AKAI LPK keyboard and linked it to a new track (with piano VSTi). It works and I get sound.

However, I noticed that the recorded notes, as shown in the Midi Editor, are always a bit ahead of the time I played on the keyboard (approx 1/16).

I know about the Use Driver Reported Latency option in preferences. I normally tick the box and let Reaper use the ASIO latency.

But,

The Question:

Why does this reported value not work with my MIDI USB keyboard setup?

I need to to un-tick the preference option and NOT use the driver latency. This seems a bit odd, because I'm assuming the latency must still be there... Unless, recording from a MIDI keyboard is much more "latency free" than audio input coming in from my Steinberg UR12.

Un-ticking the Use Driver Reported Latency option in preferences menu is not a big deal. It works, but it bugs the heck out of me, because I don't know what is going on. Something tells me I'm doing something wrong - should be doing something better.

Yes? No?
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote