Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 01-30-2019, 07:26 AM   #1
jamesd256
Human being with feelings

Default BCR2000 needs armed track to talk to actions or FX

Bit of a double post, as I've mentioned this in passing here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=216274

I thought it would be best to split this out to try to get help.

To repeat: I have a BRC2000 which doesn't work with actions or FX learn unless it's set as an input to an active track.

I've put ReaControlMIDI on that track - when it's armed, I can see the CC events in the logs, and I can map the CCs to actions and effects parameters.

Garwyx reports his BCR behaves as I've seen other controllers in my setup - no armed track is needed for learning/mapping.

I'm connecting via the MIDI ports, as the USB port seems to have a connectivity issues. It's running firmware 1.07 - worth updating?

Cheers!
jamesd256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:08 AM   #2
BenK-msx

Been a long time so forgive any innacuracy.

Seem you need to set your midi input ( the bcr) to 'control' in reaper midi prefs, rather than track input.

However can do it track input way as I do now with a dumb dj controller using realearn by helgoboss to connect to reapers control section and is better at providing feedback on params.

There's a load of old info in my signature related to bcfs.

Them things are getting antique and have that 2000 era trickiness to set up that modern controllers don't havenas much, but g'luck
Old 01-30-2019, 09:26 AM   #3
jamesd256

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
Been a long time so forgive any innacuracy.

Seem you need to set your midi input ( the bcr) to 'control' in reaper midi prefs, rather than track input.

However can do it track input way as I do now with a dumb dj controller using realearn by helgoboss to connect to reapers control section and is better at providing feedback on params.

There's a load of old info in my signature related to bcfs.

Them things are getting antique and have that 2000 era trickiness to set up that modern controllers don't havenas much, but g'luck
Thanks. I've had confirmation from Garwyx that his BCR is able to map while both input and control are enabled. I've tried all combinations.

I didn't know about Realearn, I'll take a look at that. At this stage my problem has nothing to do with feedback though.

I have a BCF and use it with Klinke, and have it working to perfection, so it's just this BCR.

Can you give an example of a modern controller that has 32 knobs with continuous led encoders? Do you know of any specific issues with the BCR compared to modern encoders? My thinking is it's just generating MIDI CC so what's the difference, but open to being educated. I already have faders and pads, so just want lots of knobs
Old 01-30-2019, 01:41 PM   #4
BenK-msx

I not much use anymore not had the thing going for many a year,

I now use a 'dumb' cheap dj controller now as I found a large smooth endless rotary encoder or two was really what I wanted (mapped to last touched parameter). But tempted by some of the new toys..

It could be you have the units midi device active elsewhere in reaper or another app or another thing sending the same midi msgs.

If you have bcf going well seems like an odd one. Could try with a portable reaper install with nothing else set up to help diagnose?

So I take it bcr is connected via midi cables to.. what kind of interface?
And the ports of that interface are set to control in reaper?

Is the bcf connected simultaneously? Tried a different i.d on one ?

Last edited by BenK-msx; 01-30-2019 at 01:47 PM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:28 AM   #5
Travesty

Quote:

I now use a 'dumb' cheap dj controller now as I found a large smooth endless rotary encoder or two was really what I wanted (mapped to last touched parameter). But tempted by some of the new toys..

It could be you have the units midi device active elsewhere in reaper or another app or another thing sending the same midi msgs.

If you have bcf going well seems like an odd one. Could try with a portable reaper install with nothing else set up to help diagnose?

Which controller are you using now?
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:19 AM   #6
BenK-msx

As I said it's literally a dumb dj controller, that Aldi did a while back!

Edit: I posted a pic ages ago. Follow:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=52

The endless rotaries now control last touched parameter but at a fine resolution ( e.g multiple turns to get from 0-max ) so can deactivate my eyes and adjust finely with ears. I Like that.

Other one set to fine move item left or right for timing tweaks, which also saves my eyes doing tiny mouse moves.

Other most used, simple knob mapped to solo dim level, and some zoom controls.
Have a hidden track with realearn on that I load into projects for control. Happy enough.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:20 PM   #7
jamesd256

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions.

The problem went away after I did a forget on all the midi devices
Old 01-31-2019, 04:54 PM   #8
BenK-msx

Cool, midi ports getting on each other's T*ts perhaps!