Old 07-29-2019, 05:55 AM   #1
Arjeebee
Human being with feelings

Default Separate audio interfaces

Is there a way to use separate sound devises at the same time. For example, while most everything is playing through one audio interface, I would like to send one single track through the output of a different audio interface. Thanks
Arjeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:27 AM   #2
domzy

what operating system, interfaces & drivers are you using?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:38 AM   #3
TC7

I'm going to guess that most DAWs want to see one interface.

However, it is easy on many interfaces to have several audio outputs, making it possible to run your 2-mix buss where you like, and a number of other audio signals to as many outs as your interface is designed to provide.

Maybe I misunderstand your question...
TC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:39 AM   #4
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjeebee View Post
Is there a way to use separate sound devises at the same time. For example, while most everything is playing through one audio interface, I would like to send one single track through the output of a different audio interface. Thanks
You make what's called an aggregate device with your OS audio utility (outside of Reaper). Audio MIDI Setup for OSX or ASIO for Windows. Then you select the aggregate device in Reaper instead of one or the other single interface.

There are additional caveats explained a few times over in other threads. You need to pick one of the units to be the master sample rate clock and slave the other to it for example. This is separate from the computer data connection (USB/firewire/TB) and usually controlled by an interface's control panel app.

Last edited by serr; 07-29-2019 at 07:16 AM.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:59 AM   #5
Geoff-h3o

I believe you can with asio4all.

Otherwise this may be helpful:

https://www.harmonycentral.com/artic...ac-and-windows
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:39 AM   #6
mschnell

Regarding many discussions ni the forum: might work, might cause a lot of trouble.
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:16 PM   #7
SonicAxiom

Quote:
if you're on Windows, you can use the Voxengo Recorder plugin (output set to MME) to route a signal to any real or virtual audio device present on the computer independent from Reaper's main audio device.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:20 PM   #8
Greg Savage

this is simple on a mac as you'd just set up an aggregate and include multiple audio interfaces
Greg Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:41 AM   #9
Arjeebee

Default Thanks

Thanks guys. Lots of good ideas. BTW. I am running windows 10. Thanks.
Arjeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 04:48 PM   #10
Never

Quote:
As long as you are not using a Soundblaster (supposedly not supported by ASIO4ALL),
You should have no problem accomplishing using multiple devices in REAPER, given that you
have enabled them in ASIO4ALL by ticking the box next to the devices you would like to use,
and also ticking the boxes next to those device's in's & out's you wish to see added to the
list of available devices to utilize within REAPER's device config dialog.
Some things though;
You can only use one common configuration for all the devices being wrapped simultaneously in ASIO4ALL;
(Offsets, buffers, etc.) - Of course all A4A settings are more easily and quickly changed
by having the A4A 'Offline settings shortcut' in your tray or t-bar; you may freely modify things
here without using REAPER's device config dialog; REAPER will set itself 'OFFLINE' as you mess about
with A4A's settings panel, refreshing everything upon regaining focus.
You can have as many devices active in A4A as you like, making them available in REAPER;
(as long as you have REAPER's device set to ASIO>ASIO4ALL; however, you can only select one device
for recording, and one device for playback. I currently have the following setup, using an MBox 3,
a BLUE Icicle, and my onboard REALTEK ACL sound;

Inputs:

Outputs:

For clarification I will list the actual devices that correspond with the numbered choices on the outputs capture:

1-8: Onboard Mobo Sound - configurable with jackswitching via Realtek control panel.
9-10: Onboard Mobo Sound - configured to use my Pc's front phones jack.
11-12: HDMI Audio - output of my NVIDIA gpu. (To route REAPER's output to the VISIO 32" TV I use as a main monitor.)
13-14: Blue Icicle Preamp USB - purely an input for a condenser mic; ASIO4ALL reads it's dummy outputs seen here.
15-18: MBox 3 - monitor output l/r.
19-22: MBox 3 - S/PDIF routing.

You can gleen the corresponding input capabilities. Even with the limitations of this method,
A4A is awesome; a better ASIO driver for the MBox 3 than it's own OEM driver, and A4A wraps it after
Avid's software mixer, so I still have the ability to use all of that functionality.
Everything in my studio is at my fingertips through software; no more need for a console or patch bay,
and it frees up alot of room for production gear. It also lessens the probability of noise, heat, and other
wanton element that excessive equipment and wiring introduce. I am an old school kinda guy;
when I started recording, we used a huge console, 128 channels of patchwork, a Tascam 1/2" 16 track,
16 channels of DBX compression/limiting/expansion, NO recall system; except for as many free hands as you can
get on faders during mixdown, and DAT mastering. I love gear, but it is so nice to have it all in the box!!

I have never had a problem with any of these devices, or with A4A's wrapping of their driver's.
I have never had any problem with REAPER's use of A4A's output.
I have never had any problem with hotswapping devices during production.

My two cents....hope it helps,
Never

ADD - You may have to reinstall ASIO4ALL and tick 'Install ASIO4ALL Offline settings', as the installer program
does not install it by default, and actually tells you it is superfluous - which is definately debatable to say the least.
Without it, you can only get to it's control panel through REAPER's device settings dialog (options>preferences>device>asio configuration),
which is a whole lot of unnecessary if you are just wanting to quickly adjust buffers after adding a needy plugin, or check the status of a particular device.

Last edited by Never; 08-03-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:21 PM   #11
MusoBob

Yes ASIO4All and VoiceMeeter Banana ASIO, both free.
MusoBob is offline   Reply With Quote