Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 10-01-2019, 11:43 AM   #121
robgb
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
i had a little time to test the cc curves! it's fantastic

1) I wonder if this could be possible: at this moment seems like when we editing 1 envelope and drag a point horizontal it wont move vertical and then if we start drag vertical it won't move horizontal. Could drag do both: move X and y?

2) could we have an option just like we have for envelopes so that reaper "prevent mouse edits of single envelope from moving past other cc points" and have a different behaviour then this when passing an adjacent point

Thanks
Going a bit crazy here. I can't find anything like this in the latest dev. versions. Is it gone?
robgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:53 AM   #122
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgb View Post
Going a bit crazy here. I can't find anything like this in the latest dev. versions. Is it gone?
What are you referring to by "this"?
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:58 AM   #123
robgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
What are you referring to by "this"?
The ability to manipulate CC curves as in the gif above. I'm able to draw the curves, but can't create separate nodes like above.

UPDATE: Okay, I got it figured out. Had to make some adjustments in preferences.

Last edited by robgb; 10-01-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:06 PM   #124
robgb

Next question: Is there any way to get rid of the highlighting of a section when the node is selected? I find it very distracting.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 1.00.25 PM.png (49.1 KB, 334 views)
Old 10-04-2019, 02:37 AM   #125
dupont

In Reaper, CC recording is erratic in overdub mode
It would be better to be abble to replace the CC when loop recording, see Studio one example.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ax...QVz0X4EkVG-5o1
https://drive.google.com/open?id=17G...pMI6-ggcNwEiLK
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:30 AM   #126
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont View Post
In Reaper, CC recording is erratic in overdub mode
It would be better to be abble to replace the CC when loop recording, see Studio one example.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ax...QVz0X4EkVG-5o1
https://drive.google.com/open?id=17G...pMI6-ggcNwEiLK
Yep or some kind of option.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:12 PM   #127
Reflected

another sticky issue with the midi cc, but this time with the midi inline editor...

the inline editor fail to get back to the settings that were adjusted to its window.
after resizing the track it lose the window adjustments.

that feature worth nothing like this. (many years already)...
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:06 PM   #128
gofer
-blänk-

I allowed myself to move the posts concerning how the erase modifier should work in the velocity lane to the related bug report thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2140287

Hope everyone involved can agree that it fits much better over there.

Last edited by gofer; 10-05-2019 at 04:17 PM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:47 AM   #129
deeb

Personally I think is not a correct way of dealing .. the subject was more on topic here then there. We been discussing CCS and eventually features and not a bug. It's not motivational to continue.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:29 PM   #130
Reflected

Quote:
Personally I think is not a correct way of dealing .. the subject was more on topic here then there. We been discussing CCS and eventually features and not a bug. It's not motivational to continue.
I agree

for me this thread is about the CC lanes... velocity is there for a good reason, it is the most important and most commonly used cc lane ever and yet it is one of the weakest parts of reaper.
it is just not right to ignore it.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:00 PM   #131
EvilDragon

Except velocity is not a CC lane because velocity is not a CC. Semantics, I know, but...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:07 PM   #132
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Except velocity is not a CC lane because velocity is not a CC. Semantics, I know, but...
Ok so there is a bug, when I change cc modifiers it works on velocity .. you know funtionality
Old 10-06-2019, 01:24 PM   #133
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Except velocity is not a CC lane because velocity is not a CC.
velocity is there...sharing the same space, the same mouse modifications.
as I said, it is not something to be ignored.

Quote:
Ok so there is a bug, when I change cc modifiers it works on velocity .. you know funtionality
exactly.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:42 PM   #134
Tod

Since the posts got moved I'd like to reiterate what I thought were 2 very important points.

We would like to have velocity mouse modifiers separate from from the CC modifiers.

Some of us expressed that we would like the ability to apply actions, custom actions, and scripts to all the mouse modifiers, not just the few that exist now.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:28 PM   #135
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Since the posts got moved I'd like to reiterate what I thought were 2 very important points.

We would like to have velocity mouse modifiers separate from from the CC modifiers.

Some of us expressed that we would like the ability to apply actions, custom actions, and scripts to all the mouse modifiers, not just the few that exist now.
A M E N !!!

the sooner the better.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:22 PM   #136
_Stevie_

Word!
Old 10-07-2019, 02:47 AM   #137
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
I allowed myself to move the posts concerning how the erase modifier should work in the velocity lane to the related bug report thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2140287
Thanks!

Quote:
I'm not quite sure that this would be necessary:
* We already have a "CC segment" context that is specific to CC envelopes;
* The only other difference between CCs and velocities (that I can quickly think of) is that new CCs can be inserted by drawing in the CC lane whereas velocities/notes cannot. Mouse modifiers such as "Draw/edit" intelligently adapts to whether the mouse is over a CC or velocity lane.

Quote:
Indeed! Scripts can currently be linked to double-click mouse modifiers, but double-click automatically deselects all events, so it is only useful for scripts that don't require selection.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:27 AM   #138
Klangfarben

Quote:

Put me down for a +1 on both.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:29 AM   #139
juliansader

Feature Request:

API function similar to Envelope_Evaluate, but for CC envelopes, to give the CC value at a specific tick position.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:24 AM   #140
dupont

I noticed that hand CC drawing is not accurate : CC events are inserted at the nearest left grid line and not at the grid line where the mouse arrow is.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18w...f0wo90VPxGlM5w
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:36 AM   #141
juliansader

Quote:
Feature Request:

API function similar to Envelope_Evaluate, but for CC envelopes, to give the CC value at a specific tick position.
Two related requests:

* An action to insert interpolated CCs of all *used* types at the current edit position, similar to the automation action "Envelope: Insert new point at current position to all visible track envelopes". (I have previously written a ReaPack script to do this, but it is outdated now.)

* When trimming or splitting MIDI in such a way that the source MIDI is trimmed, automatically insert interpolated CCs at the trimmed edge or edges, so that the curve is preserved. (Similar to how envelope "edge points" are inserted into automation envelopes.)
Old 10-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #142
deeb

req: could we have a modifier that allows dragging/drawing/inserting a point and snap it to existing values in this CC "Lane"?

Example: while dragging vertically a point this would not change until it matches an existing value.

This would be useful for envelopes too.

This would allow much more precision and control while editing points

edit: This would be so so so useful!!

Last edited by deeb; 10-12-2019 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:06 AM   #143
deeb

Schwa : could you understand the request?
Old 10-17-2019, 06:35 AM   #144
deeb

wouldn't it be useful if:
- we could have defaults for other CCs too?
- changing values only applies to selected notes (otherwise apply to all)?

Last edited by deeb; 10-17-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:18 AM   #145
Vagelis

I really love the new segment feature where you can move the points also when it reaches the max or min value!
One request would be to be able to move the segment between 2 points horizontally also. That would be a game changer!
And i really hope to see the same implementation for the track envelope segment in the future. Respect!
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:53 AM   #146
deeb

Quote:
req: could we have a modifier that allows dragging/drawing/inserting a point and snap it to existing values in this CC "Lane"?

Example: while dragging vertically a point this would not change until it matches an existing value.

This would be useful for envelopes too.

This would allow much more precision and control while editing points

edit: This would be so so so useful!!
Sorry to bump this. I feel quite astonish no one sees how useful this can be. It's a flexible and precision shaper/designer just right at mouse click!!. Am I missing something,?
Old 10-23-2019, 09:19 PM   #147
Commala

The new actions to set CC shape (linear, bezier, etc) only work for the MIDI track with edit focus, rather than all editable tracks. Unless someone has an objection, I'd please ask that these be changed to apply to all editable tracks.
Commala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:30 AM   #148
deeb

Just reminded that would be nice if we could set a length to cc envelope per midi item so that length determines the loop of cc information to be applied on full midi item lenght notes
Old 12-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #149
sqkychair

First off, big thanks to the developers! I think the CC envelope editing alone is worth my upgrade to 6. This fixes one of the most awkward tasks (for me) in Reaper. Using the Alt key to modify the curve on a segment is just delightful. It made me realize we have it on the Automation lanes as well. No idea how long it has been there.

So, I am wondering:
1. Will we get the "reduce number of points" feature in CC editing?

2. I know this is asking a lot, but what about some kind of "best fit" feature where we take a bunch of jittery cc moves and then attempt to make them into a few smooth curve segments?

Sorry if this feature is being discussed elsewhere, I could not find it.
sqkychair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:00 PM   #150
EvilDragon

1. This already exists, it has an action for it. "Options: Reduce CC events while drawing"
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:13 PM   #151
Eddy

I have problems with the settings. For example, at the moment I open a new project and draw some CC and the lanes are set to default at "square". I have never set them to square, they have only ever been linear and bezier.
If I go up to the top of the editor window and use the dropdown menu I see the curves are set to a default of linear. I return to the lanes and now they are linear

I change a lane to bezier and that works, I change another, that works, I go to the top and see that it is now set to bezier. I shut Reaper down and open it again and insert a new midi file.
I go to the the cc lanes and they are still working as bezier. I go up to the top dropdown and it has changed the default to linear. I check the tracks - they are working as bezier but the default is set to linear now.

No doubt there is some great logic to all this (eg track override of default) but my preference would be for my preferences to stick on opening and closing Reaper
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 05:12 AM   #152
ferropop

Quote:
Sorry to bump this. I feel quite astonish no one sees how useful this can be. It's a flexible and precision shaper/designer just right at mouse click!!. Am I missing something,?
And yet again Deeb I agree completely and have made that same request in the past.

Take something like manipulating a wavetable position in Serum using modwheel. The difference between a value of 88 and 89 in the CC lane could literally be the difference between a pillowy pad and a cheese grater saw. The ability to draw precise curves (consistently!) is a daily struggle for me in Reaper. A simple mouse-modifier even would be fine - "move CC point snapping to other points".
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 05:19 AM   #153
ferropop

Still making a strong case for "Prevent mouse edits of single envelope point from moving past other envelope points" in CC lanes. It's so important and currently creates an almost-unusable scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Hey guys, this might be the last inconsistency between the new CC curves and the Envelope Lane behaviours that pretty negatively impacts workflow.

Here's an incredibly common pitch curve for automating say, a sliding bass.

In the envelope lane we have the luxury of "Prevent mouse edits of single envelope points from moving past other envelope points" to quickly bam-bam create that perfect curve.

In CC, it's almost impossible to do without finicking around and getting a less than ideal result. This could be corrected with extending the above Preference to CC points as well.

ps...i know CCs are instantaneous and cannot be both 0 and -64 (for example) at the same time, but obviously the Envelope Lane is handling that behaviour somehow (with a tiny fade?). Anyways, something worth looking at for us MIDI folk...as CCs curves are at 99% functionality afaik!
Old 12-13-2019, 07:01 AM   #154
juliansader

Quote:
Quote:
And yet again Deeb I agree completely and have made that same request in the past.

Take something like manipulating a wavetable position in Serum using modwheel. The difference between a value of 88 and 89 in the CC lane could literally be the difference between a pillowy pad and a cheese grater saw. The ability to draw precise curves (consistently!) is a daily struggle for me in Reaper. A simple mouse-modifier even would be fine - "move CC point snapping to other points".
A bit more details may help:

* Should the function be a mouse modifier to drag CCs with the mouse, or an action that snaps all selected CCs with one click?

* In case of a mouse modifier, should the new function be integrated with the "Insert CC event" mouse modifier, or any other existing mouse modifiers?

* Also in case of a mouse modifier, should all selected CCs be dragged and snapped, or only the single CC under the mouse?

* Should the CCs snap only to previous events (to the left) or also to later events (to the right)?

* Should CC values only snap to other CCs in the same channel, or to all channels?
Old 12-13-2019, 08:23 AM   #155
mccrabney

Quote:
Still making a strong case for "Prevent mouse edits of single envelope point from moving past other envelope points" in CC lanes. It's so important and currently creates an almost-unusable scenario.
+1, i remember FRing this for regular envelopes back in ~2017
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:30 AM   #156
deeb

Quote:

* Should the function be a mouse modifier to drag CCs with the mouse, or an action that snaps all selected CCs with one click?

* In case of a mouse modifier, should the new function be integrated with the "Insert CC event" mouse modifier, or any other existing mouse modifiers?

* Also in case of a mouse modifier, should all selected CCs be dragged and snapped, or only the single CC under the mouse?

* Should the CCs snap only to previous events (to the left) or also to later events (to the right)?

* Should CC values only snap to other CCs in the same channel, or to all channels?

It is like drawing /editing notes in midi editor and snap quantize is on.

On point creating it creates on a snapable position/value
On point editing it allows repositioning to snapable position/value

If editing multiple points just the one under mouse must be positioned to snapable position/value all the other mantain their proportion to this one. But it can have more versions: "snap selected points to anchor values" and/or "snap to nearby values (excluding selected points)"

Same same. Quantizing existing values can have manny forms, two versions that i can think of are:
"quantize selected points to anchor values" and/or "quantize to nearby values (excluding selected points)"

Answering your questions:

If there was a concept of making a point value as an anchor would make sense to have an action to "quantize selected points to anchor values". With no anchor points it could be maybe as i said: quantize to nearby values (excluding selected points)

i think on : Insert CC event and Edit CC event

Already answered! (i think)

Both are useful but if i had to choose one i'd choose snap to previous values, because it's the order of working and sequence.

This i don't know since i don't use channels.

I'll be waiting for more feedback on this from other users . Hopefully we can have a nice discussion

between look what i mean by anchor points here:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=225652

Last edited by deeb; 12-13-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #157
ferropop

Quote:

Hey Julian...thought a lot about this. In the case of people freehand drawing points, the Snap thing could be a disaster because it'll be snapping to a billion different points either in the positive or negative time direction.

My idea: mouse modifier for "Snap to last-touched point". So, you click the point to use as an anchor, then move your intended point using the mouse modifier and it'll snap to your anchor.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #158
deeb

Quote:
Hey Julian...thought a lot about this. In the case of people freehand drawing points, the Snap thing could be a disaster because it'll be snapping to a billion different points either in the positive or negative time direction.
maybe not ferro! imagine a cenario:

Make Envelopes that you want use/snap during the project in the beginning of the project or maybe for CCs in a hidden location of the midi item . ( or by using the anchor points method/concept i described earlier).

Now imagine free hand draw with only this values during the all project.

Wouldn't it be wonderful?

Last edited by deeb; 12-13-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:08 PM   #159
ferropop

Quote:
maybe not ferro! imagine a cenario:

Make Envelopes that you want use/snap during the project in the beginning of the project or maybe for CCs in a hidden location of the midi item . ( or by using the anchor points method/concept i described earlier).

Now imagine free hand draw with only this values during the all project.

Wouldn't it be wonderful?
Yup this would also be amazing. Especially with parameters that are "step" in nature and don't need all the values in between.

For example, if you're automating an Arpeggiator Rate Value, it'll step between 1/64th, 1/32nd, ..., 1/2, so all the values in between are wasted on the automation lane. I get what you're saying, you would set up like, 8 points of possible values and those are the values for the lane. Cool idea!

Last edited by ferropop; 12-13-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:51 AM   #160
Crumbfort

Wasn't sure if this was the place to ask this question, but what the heck!

I'm having trouble identifying which CC lane is currently active in the MIDI editor when multiple items are selected at the same time (see attachment).

I realize all the items are the same color (I color instruments from similar orchestral "groups" the same for easy macro identifying) but this wasn't an issue for me with the old system of CC "bars".

Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere that makes the actively selected items CC events more easily distinguishable?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 11.50.13 AM.png (26.7 KB, 211 views)
Crumbfort is offline   Reply With Quote