Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-17-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
ManyTracks
Human being with feelings

Default Looooong midi notes that I haven't played

Hi!

I'm recording a piano midi track. Short notes. Then when I open the midi editor I see two LOOOOONG notes there that I haven't played and that Reaper apparently have put there on its own... (or perhaps extensions of short notes I have played(?) ).

How do I avoid this?

MT
ManyTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:26 PM   #2
Time Waster

Most likely they are short notes you have played and the note-off message has gone missing or not been sent. The most likely suspect is your input device. MIDI is a simple protocol that can be subject to errors like this (it's amazing that it works at all, really). The easiest option is to post edit the piano roll.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:31 AM   #3
ManyTracks

Thanks for your thoughts here. I do have a vague memory however that this may be a Reaper issue. I have in fact had this problem a few times before. With 3 different USB / MIDI interfaces and with several different MIDI keyboards. It doesn't seem linked with a particular external device.

the device I use most of the time is the RME BabyFace Pro purchased some 3 months ago (excellent device btw! - allows for low latency settings without pops etc - without a doubt the best audio interface I have ever had).

It is ONLY happening right in the beginning of a recorded midi track. I also see that the first notes sometimes are misplaced or missing and then a long midi note is displayed and placed in the track.

I think this is a Reaper issues...

Any more ideas on this this one?

MT
Old 08-18-2017, 03:50 AM   #4
ManyTracks

WHat happens on the project I'm working on now:

- First midi note is placed to late.
- Second note is placed to late AND is too long
- Third mid note never got recorded - like the length of the second "took over"

I think the error can take different forms and shapes and the above is just one variation of what can happen. I have seen TWO too loooong notes sometimes. This morning I only saw ONE looong note. But placed incorrectly (to late) and then one note that disappeared. And this ONLY seems to happen right at the start of a midi recording. Never seen this in the middle or at the end of a midi item.

I have tried disconnecting my RME and used an Edirol. No difference.

I have switched from my Axiom 69 to a M-Audio 88 key. No difference

I do believe this is a Reaper thing. Haven't seen it in any other DAW here either.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:04 AM   #5
vanhaze

I suffer from the same problem for a very long time now in Reaper - OSX.
My opinion is also that it's a Reaper issue ; i also tried different midi keyboards ; made no difference.

I now usually draw in midi notes in MIDI Editor, not really a solution ofcourse.

Sorry i can't help you, hope this will be sorted out once and forever.

OSX 10.12.6
Reaper - 64bit latest beta.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:28 AM   #6
ManyTracks

Thanks for your response and confirming you have the same issue.

Another variation I just noticed is that it simply fails to record the FIRST midi note.

I agree - it would nice if this issue was solved, looking at some notes here I see the issue is more than two years old.

Sometimes I can work for weeks without experiencing this. Then - like today - I see it over and over and it's a bit annoying...

best & thanks
Old 08-18-2017, 09:09 AM   #7
Ulf3000

its definitly a reaper problem , it also happens when you record blueArp vst output as midinotes and on several other occasions using midi keyboard, midi pad , or midi-generating programs which you send over virtual midi cable into reaper

it doesn´t happen when you record your pianoroll input through (sliding up and down the pianoroll with the mouse pressed) ,

it also doesn´t happen when you send fast (already recorded) notes from one track to another , buty when you send the very same midi from another program it happens again
Ulf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:37 PM   #8
ManyTracks

Since I absolutely love Reaper and think it is the best DAW it would be truly nice if this bug was taken care of. But how?
Old 08-19-2017, 03:54 AM   #9
Ulf3000

^it must be somewhere deep inside the midi-interpreter/optimization code of reaper where start and end points of midi are interpreted , only the devs can fix it
Old 08-19-2017, 05:38 AM   #10
ManyTracks

How can I draw their attention to this bug? Maybe it is unknown to them?
Old 08-19-2017, 05:49 AM   #11
vanhaze

You could mail to:
support@cockos.com
Old 08-19-2017, 05:52 AM   #12
OPI

Also had this problem.

Also another problem with vsti getting hung notes.
OPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:48 PM   #13
imagegod

I can also confirm long MIDI notes. No input device (other than via mouse). Only (at this point) in a piano track.

My first impulse was to assume it was a function of editing via cut/paste (which it may in fact be).

If it is a bug, definitely not a show stopper.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:02 PM   #14
vanhaze

For me, the situation where Midi Items have the Loop Points around them, so playing repeatedly, (Repeat mode ON), when in play mode in Reaper, often produce hanging notes when playhead jumps from loop endpoint to loop startpoint.

This occurs in both Main View and MIDI Editor.
This occurs with the majority of VSTi's i have.(alot).

A very longstanding issue for me.

OSX 10.12.6
Reaper 5.50rc16.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:00 PM   #15
Ulf3000

to add, its probably the same algorythm/mechanism which makes midi notes go off sync (a little late) in auto-strumming vsts and some other arp like vsts ,

i noticed this with sugarbytes guitarist and strummer for kontakt , the higher the latency is set in the audio driver the bigger the delay

rob papen RG is on beat though (but it also isn´t based on midi input like the other ones )