Old 03-27-2024, 12:18 PM   #1
Edgemeal
Human being with feelings

Default v7.12+dev0327 - March 27 2024

v7.12+dev0327 - March 27 2024
* Includes feature branch: happy/sad markers
* Includes feature branch: additional localization options
* Includes feature branch: notify user if default menu changed after a menu was customized
* Includes feature branch: extended ASCII encoding for .wav file text metadata
+ Accessibility: improve descriptions for JSFX text edit fields
+ Accessibility: improve descriptions for various FX text edit fields
+ Accessibility: improve keyboard accessibility via pageup/down, home/end, of various sliders
+ CLAP: when an instrument plugin is acting as FX, replace input rather than summing [t=289548]
+ Import: when importing media with embedded tempo information into an empty project, optionally prompt to adjust project tempo to media tempo
+ Lanes: update peaks after disabling lane masking [p=2770721]
+ MIDI editor: improve appearance of measure start with swing grid enabled [t=283527]
+ Media Explorer: improve preserving non-overwritten .mp3 metadata when adding new metadata
+ Media explorer: fix APEv2 tag after writing new metadata to .mp3 files
+ Media explorer: support adding image metadata to .mp3 files
+ ReaPlugs: parse -inf user input in various dB contexts
+ Render: support preserving existing metadata when rendering master mix or tracks, not just selected media items
+ Tooltips: fix lag when displaying loudness tooltip while playing back [p=2770568]
# Takes: internal changes to happy/sad marker implementation

Full Changelog - Pre-Releases - Feature Requests - Generated by WhatsNew2
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:28 PM   #2
Daodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
+ Tooltips: fix lag when displaying loudness tooltip while playing back [p=2770568]
Oh those damn tooltips!
Schwa, you once said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Its interesting that some people experience graphics update problems with tooltips enabled, we are not able to reproduce this on any of our testing machines. The problem may be specific to certain graphics drivers or other machine-specific settings.
You should now be able to reproduce this because the reason has recently been discovered. This happens with the mouses with high pooling rate (USB report rate).

was discovered by ShibuyaCyana in this thread https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....98#post2756098
Daodan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 03:59 PM   #3
bolgwrad

Up-take top ranking.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:49 PM   #4
dangguidan

Quote:
+ MIDI editor: improve appearance of measure start with swing grid enabled [t=283527]
Fixed, thank you!
Old 03-28-2024, 12:19 AM   #5
tohubohu

Quote:
* Includes feature branch: additional localization options
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...07&postcount=3
tohubohu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 05:11 AM   #6
FeedTheCat

Quote:
# Takes: internal changes to happy/sad marker implementation
I'm starting to doubt if making it work for comping via take markers was the best approach... It does "work", but it also quickly falls apart when you start editing or moving comp areas. Conceptually the issue is that you're marking a single point instead of a region of the source that is good/bad.

Maybe there is a reasonable way to make it a comp area property?
Old 03-28-2024, 05:26 AM   #7
FeedTheCat

It would be immensely useful to have a way to quickly go through the takes you marked as good (and skip neutral/bad).

E.g. an action to:
Move comp area at mouse down, or switch items to next happy take
Old 03-28-2024, 06:27 AM   #8
smandrap

A little thing on usage of these markers:

I used them some days ago and while i found them really useful, i found myself in the need of some kind of "retroactive" rank marker insert.

Imagine this situation:
  • Singer is singing
  • You listen in the meanwhile
  • Singer does good thing
  • You mark as rank-up

Problem with this is the timing of events. I cannot know in advance that the singer will do a nice phrase or whatever, so i was always moving the rank markers back in time (around 1-2 sec) to actually mark the wanted event.

Because what really happens (at least in my brain) in the situation described above is:
  • Singer is singing
  • Singer does good thing
  • You realize it
  • You have your "woah" moment
  • You think it's worth marking
  • You reach for the shortcut
  • You mark as rank-up

All of this blah blah to say: can we have some actions like "Insert rank marker 2 seconds before play cursor" (or something like that)

Hope this makes sense
Old 03-28-2024, 08:29 AM   #9
vsthem

Just want to chime in that for my workflow, I tend to have musicians record longer takes in the beginning, so the ability to add a happy face at individual times, rather than the region, works well for me. If you record a 30 second passage, there's likely to be good and bad spots over the course of the take. I can definitely see how marking the entire region when recording smaller chunks would be useful too though.
vsthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 06:35 PM   #10
pentecost

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
I'm starting to doubt if making it work for comping via take markers was the best approach... It does "work", but it also quickly falls apart when you start editing or moving comp areas. Conceptually the issue is that you're marking a single point instead of a region of the source that is good/bad.

Maybe there is a reasonable way to make it a comp area property?
Take markers might be helpful during live markup, but agree that an area/item is what really needs to be relaying the info. Marking the items is the current approach, there just aren't great ways to efficiently dice them up.

IMO, the best way to classify on the quick (as things currently exist) would be to split the source media of the playing comp area(s) at the area boundaries and mark the resultant item(s).
We really just need to be able to do the first thing and build a custom action from there.
pentecost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 08:09 PM   #11
ferropop

I hobbled this together myself...

It's of course not perfect, but you can mark areas in Fixed Lanes this way.

If you could turn marked areas into Comp Areas that'd be a leap.

If you could cycle vertically through all marked areas at mouse, that'd be a way to "only audition sections you've marked" etc.

Just throwing things out there...

Last edited by ferropop; 03-28-2024 at 08:36 PM.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 10:01 PM   #12
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by smandrap View Post

I used them some days ago and while i found them really useful, i found myself in the need of some kind of "retroactive" rank marker insert.

Imagine this situation:
  • Singer is singing
  • Singer does good thing
  • You mark as rank-up

Problem with this is the timing of events. I cannot know in advance that the singer will do a nice phrase or whatever, so i was always moving the rank markers back in time (around 1-2 sec) to actually mark the wanted event.

Because what really happens (at least in my brain) in the situation described above is:
  • Singer is singing
  • Singer does good thing
  • You realize it
  • You mark as rank-up

All of this blah blah to say: can we have some actions like "Insert rank marker 2 seconds before play cursor" (or something like that)

Hope this makes sense

It makes sense to me, I also mentioned it in the first developement state. It can be smarter. Something can be done to become better to save time and favoriting in real time of recording.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:32 PM   #13
jliu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daodan View Post
Oh those damn tooltips!
You should now be able to reproduce this because the reason has recently been discovered. This happens with the mouses with high pooling rate (USB report rate).
I've also found that something about mouse polling lags REAPER's UI. This recording demonstrates another case by using the trackpad on an M2 Macbook Air on Sonoma, originally reported in this thread. With "Throttle mouse-events: Move" disabled (as it is by default), I can cripple the UI by shaking the cursor over the MIDI Piano Roll during playback. Enabling throttling improves this, but it makes moving media items less smooth.

https://streamable.com/aj83b6
jliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 11:39 PM   #14
dangguidan

Has the method of adding take markers changed? Now it's all added. Previously, it was only added to the selected items.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:28 AM   #15
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentecost View Post
IMO, the best way to classify on the quick (as things currently exist) would be to split the source media of the playing comp area(s) at the area boundaries and mark the resultant item(s).
We really just need to be able to do the first thing and build a custom action from there.
Splitting the source would work well in some regards:

(I'm copying the marked item back to source lane)

But unfortunately it is a bad idea as you will get constant unsyncing when adjusting crossfades (the more splits, the worse it gets):

To be fair, I think the current "add marker to the source lane" approach works well enough when you don't have the comp lane collapsed (as you can see the markers in previous takes). But in practice it has been impossible for me to do any editing without collapsing to the comp lane. Even when starting with only a few takes, the edit lanes start piling up and eventually the comp lane waveform is just too small to work with. Therefore, it is imo very important to have features work well in a collapsed state.

On a somewhat related note, when people initially were asking for the comp lane to be larger than source lanes, it seemed like a "just because other DAWs do it like this" kind of request. But I have very much changed my opinion on this and I think the devs should seriously consider it.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:44 AM   #16
planetnine

Quote:
On a somewhat related note, when people initially were asking for the comp lane to be larger than source lanes, it seemed like a "just because other DAWs do it like this" kind of request. But I have very much changed my opinion on this and I think the devs should seriously consider it.

+1 Definitely a candidate for an option.

>
Old 03-29-2024, 05:48 AM   #17
Vagelis

Quote:
It wasn't just this, it was proposed after so many of us were working for years that way and knew the value of this feature.
Being able to re-arrange as well as make larger each lane to focus on the lanes we want is something really really useful.
Zooming with the existing way doesnt fill that gap.
Vagelis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 06:04 AM   #18
planetnine

I think it’s almost irrelevant whether other DAWs work that way, it sounds like good ergonomic design: feedback and focus on the current area of your workflow.

>
Old 03-29-2024, 06:13 AM   #19
lucas_LCS

Theme Issue:
Pink line error in the 150% vertical Recinput image.
See screenshot.
This is happening in v7.12 and v7.12+dev0327

::
Old 03-29-2024, 07:19 AM   #20
FeedTheCat

Quote:
But unfortunately it is a bad idea as you will get constant unsyncing when adjusting crossfades (the more splits, the worse it gets):
Some thoughts on this:

We already have this behavior to extend items in source lanes when there's free space.

Maybe this could be extended to also move "healable" items splits in source lanes. Then splitting the source items to add favorite marks wouldn't be problematic and this could become a good way to mark favorite comp areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
I think it’s almost irrelevant whether other DAWs work that way, it sounds like good ergonomic design: feedback and focus on the current area of your workflow.
>
Agreed. To clarify, I always thought it would have been useful, I just didn't realized how useful.

It's hard to do any audio work when you can't have a good look at the waveform. The comp lane contains most necessary information, so even tiny tiny source lanes wouldn't be a problem.

In the current implementation once you reach 7-8 lanes it becomes unpleasant to work with.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:47 AM   #21
Fergler

I’m confused, I’m on this version and I have the actions:

Take: Mark last recording pass for deletion
Take: Mark last recording pass as favorite

But they don’t do anything, and I don’t see anything in options for displaying these smily faces (searched for favorite, deletion, happy, sad, recording pass, etc and scoured the item options).
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 07:55 AM   #22
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
I’m confused, I’m on this version and I have the actions:

Take: Mark last recording pass for deletion
Take: Mark last recording pass as favorite

But they don’t do anything, and I don’t see anything in options for displaying these smily faces (searched for favorite, deletion, happy, sad, recording pass, etc and scoured the item options).
You're not running 7.12+dev0327.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 08:12 AM   #23
Fergler

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
You're not running 7.12+dev0327.
You’re right, I was using update utility by FTC and it seems to have a hickup on installing this version on the first couple tries. Didn’t catch it because I was using the last pre so it looked right at a glance. Thanks
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 09:10 AM   #24
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
Theme Issue:
Pink line error in the 150% vertical Recinput image.
See screenshot.
This is happening in v7.12 and v7.12+dev0327
Yes also visible here on mac, even when placed horizontally.
There's also a small pink dot by the Pan button.

Some more quirks:
- At strip width, the track label is at the top of the layers and has overlap so that the rec-mon button cannot be clicked. It does look right in 100%.

- At minimum strip width and when GR meter is selected, the meter values are not displayed even though they are enabled.

Attached Images
File Type: png default7-macOS-150pct_dev0327.png (57.8 KB, 982 views)
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 02:27 PM   #25
pentecost

Quote:
Splitting the source would work well in some regards:
To be fair, I think the current "add marker to the source lane" approach works well enough when you don't have the comp lane collapsed (as you can see the markers in previous takes). But in practice it has been impossible for me to do any editing without collapsing to the comp lane. Even when starting with only a few takes, the edit lanes start piling up and eventually the comp lane waveform is just too small to work with. Therefore, it is imo very important to have features work well in a collapsed state.
Fair point RE: crossfades, and I think you're onto something with your follow-up post.
The clutter of take lanes is actually a big reason why the item-based approach appeals to me, and we have (or had) tools that resemble the basis of a workflow to that end. I'm not someone that feels the need to keep the known-bad portions of takes visible (I'd rather just delete them and reduce lane count) and the take markers don't really offer an obvious path toward decluttering like the "delete unfavorited items" action that was made available earlier in the dev cycle- and apparently scrapped with the shift in approach.
The "split media items at comp area edges" action actually over-does its part of the job, I just wish it were more of a scalpel and only applied the necessary splits (to what's actively playing).

related thought, different direction:
If the take markers behaved more like boundaries that identified a toggle *between* good and bad, rather than a point source of good or bad, that might offer something useful that aligns more with the direction in which this build seems to have pivoted.
pentecost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 05:03 PM   #26
Edgemeal

Default Action name missing word 'take' ?

Action name:
Item: Add down-rank marker at play position or edit cursor

Shouldn't that be,
Item: Add down-rank take marker at play position or edit cursor
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 02:06 AM   #27
Martonovics

In this version some item buttons won't disappear in the smallest size (same preferences as earlier).

https://imgur.com/x3vGh5S
Martonovics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 08:40 AM   #28
smandrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martonovics View Post
In this version some item buttons won't disappear in the smallest size (same preferences as earlier).

https://imgur.com/x3vGh5S
Yep, they definitely don't hide anymore

Old 03-30-2024, 12:16 PM   #29
fourdogslong

These happy/sad markers are only available in the pre-release, right?
fourdogslong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 04:01 PM   #30
ferropop

Hi, sorry to keep reporting this :

Still can't target a lane for pasting.

You can see in the animation that the not-top lane is selected (from the tiny cursor indicating lane and position), but sure enough it's still pasting to the top lane only.

Fixed Lanes layering mode (no comp lane) in this case.

Am I missing something? These are the vanilla copy/paste actions.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 04:28 AM   #31
schwa
Administrator

Can you share your REAPER.ini file please?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 06:41 AM   #32
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourdogslong View Post
These happy/sad markers are only available in the pre-release, right?
yes

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 01:57 PM   #33
mattn

Quote:

Imagine this situation:
  • Singer is singing
  • Singer does good thing
  • You mark as rank-up

• Singer is singing
  • Singer does good thing
  • You realize it
  • You mark as rank-up

Hope this makes sense
That is a very good idea!
Old 03-31-2024, 03:51 PM   #34
EvilDragon

"Send all keyboard input to VKB" text label does not follow theme colors.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 04:53 PM   #35
h31k0

Quote:

Imagine this situation:
  • Singer is singing
  • Singer does good thing
  • You mark as rank-up

• Singer is singing
  • Singer does good thing
  • You realize it
  • You mark as rank-up

Hope this makes sense

I like your proposal and would like to add/modify it - in good REAPER sense - having an option in the preferences that would cause the rank marker to be inserted at an offset, something like "Rank marker insertion offset: x (ms)".
That way everyone could decide for themselves what they'd want the offset to be, so in your case "-2000 (ms)" for example.

So, to conclude:
1. There is the general/normal action of inserting a rank marker at a given point in time.
2. There is an additional action that inserts a rank marker obeying the offset.

Last edited by h31k0; 03-31-2024 at 04:59 PM.
h31k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 01:04 AM   #36
tohubohu

Quote:
* Includes feature branch: notify user if default menu changed after a menu was customized
[

When someone upgrades their Langpack, and we've enhanced some menus, the person can't benefit from the latest Langpack enhancements if they've customized a menu (even a tiny customization).
Isn't there a way of alerting the user that certain menu translations have been modified? Or isn't there a way for these translation changes to apply to customized menus (when a customized menu line has not been modified)?
tohubohu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:07 AM   #37
Gianfini

Quote:
+ Import: when importing media with embedded tempo information into an empty project, optionally prompt to adjust project tempo to media tempo
Why not "when importing media with embedded tempo information into an existing project, optionally prompt to add TEMPO Marker right before item start (if item doesn't overlap with other items)"

I often have multiple items with different tempo in a single project

thanks
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 04:02 PM   #38
MikeKravets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daodan View Post
Oh those damn tooltips!
Schwa, you once said:

was discovered by ShibuyaCyana in this thread https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....98#post2756098
Never had problems with tooltip sticking on midi(audio) items, but:

- Everything is fine on version 7.13
- It sticks on version 7.14
- Version 7.14+dev0407 - everything is fine again, guys probably already noticed, and version 7.15 will be ok.

Faced with this bug, I remembered the old days when I worked in Studio One, it had this bug, and many other unpleasant things, but this is off-top, Reaper rules!)
MikeKravets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 08:06 AM   #39
Daodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKravets View Post
Never had problems with tooltip sticking on midi(audio) items, but:

- Everything is fine on version 7.13
- It sticks on version 7.14
- Version 7.14+dev0407 - everything is fine again, guys probably already noticed, and version 7.15 will be ok.

Faced with this bug, I remembered the old days when I worked in Studio One, it had this bug, and many other unpleasant things, but this is off-top, Reaper rules!)
I'm not talking about "tooltip sticking on midi(audio) items". Problem I'm talking about is still here.
There is a new thread about it https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=290137
Daodan is online now   Reply With Quote