Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 10-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
5string
Human being with feelings

Default Can't view videos or tutorials (SOLVED)

anyone reporting any problems with the videos and tutorials. I cant get them (any of them) to work for me. i'm using adobe flash player 10 plugin and firefox 3.6. I tried IE 7.0 - doesn't work with it either. I started a thread on the general discussion forum - didn't get much help and thought i might try here. hope this isn't considered cross posting.
5string
5string is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
Mercado_Negro

Sorry, I think I don't understand your problem. Where does REAPER come into play here? Is REAPER running while you try to watch those videos/tutorials?

What audio card are you using? What's your OS? What REAPER version? Machine specs?

Cheers
Old 10-18-2010, 07:21 AM   #3
5string

Default can't view videos or turorials

thanks for the reply mercado - i just assumed that since this was a REAPER forum, that folks would discern that it was REAPER videos that i couldn't view. sorry, if i didn't make that clear. REAPER comes into play because i'd like very much to purchase it and incorporate it into my studio projects. i feel these tutorials/videos could drastically shorten the learning curve that's part of implementing any new software. (pls see my post in the "general discussion forum" 10/18) I have two PC's that i use. I can't view any of the videos on either one of them.

to answer your specific questions:
PC 1 -
soundcard: Diamond extreme sound 5.1 (soundcards on both systems are 24
bit full duplex)
OS - Win XP prof( on both systems)
RAM - 512 MB
HD - 20 GB
Processor- AMD 1500 MHz

PC 2-
soundcard: Creative soundblaster -audigy platinum
RAM - 512
HD - 80GB
Processor- Pentium 4 2800 MHz
Media player used with both systems: adobe flash player10. I've run the
installation checks on the adobe website and it says the player is
installed and config properly. I've even re-installed the players.
I don't like to cross post but, when I posted on "general discussion" and got very few replies and since I couldn't play ANY of the videos, I thought, maybe there was a problem with them that hadn't been reported and so I posted on Bug Reports.

I'm really at my wits end on this issue, tried everything i know and would really app any help. As a side comment, one of the replies to my 1st post said the videos would't work for him either - that's when i really began thinking it may be an issue that needs to be reported (and fixed).
thanks for listening to my woes
5string
Old 10-18-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
5string

Default can't view videos or turorials

addendum to the reply i just entered to mercado -
regarding your question about REAPER running while i was trying to view the viedos:
it makes no difference whether i try to access the videos with REAPER running:
Help > Documentation > REAPER Documentation Wiki > Learning Resources >
Tutorials
OR access through the website - the result is the same, i always get the msg.
"timed out" after about 15 sec.

regards
5string
Old 10-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
hopi

ummm hate to be the bearer of bad news but, gee whiz.. both your pc's are extremely minimal, both in terms of cpu and ram...

512 mb's of ram? great for email and writing the occasional letter...

but for running a DAW? you are asking a parplegic to climb Mt. Everest.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
5string

Default can't view videos or tutorials

hopi, while i app your candor (and i really do)regarding my PC's being light on memory, at this point i'm not asking either PC to support a DAW - i'm just asking for a flash player to open a video/tutorial so i can glean the info therein and possibly shorten the learning curve for this sw. if, in the future, i see REAPER is going to require more memory, i'll get some additional chips. here's my situation:
i'm evaluating this prog and am quite impressed with what i've seen so far. one of my main concerns is pitch correction for my vocal tracks. REAPER has a plugin (ReaTune) included with it that looks like jus what i've been looking for. only prob is i can't figure out how to use it. After i loaded the voc trk into REAPER and then go to that track and open ReaTune, i don't know how to import the vocal into ReaTune so that the pitch editing can take place. have you had any exp with using this plugin or can you provide a link, website or anyplace where i can get some help. i really would like to purch this sw but i'm afraid i'll have to pass on it if i can't do pitch editing with my vocal tracks. i really feel the videos/turorials could be the answer. There is a section (10.5) in the user guide but it's very sketchy and doesn't tell you how to initiate the editing process.
again, tks for the reply
5string
Old 10-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

You don't need to import anything into the plug-in, just put it on the vocal track and hit play. The User Guide Section 10.5 "Pitch correction with Reatune" and http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/ReaTune and some forum posts is all there is so far. Interesting simple alternative to Reatune: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...07&postcount=8
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:52 AM   #8
5string

Default reaper forum protocol

thanx 4 the reply, ollie -
as you can probably tell, i'm new to REAPER and also new to forums.
several questions:
1. is it ok to ask several unrelated questions in a post(or reply- as i doing here) or should each one b put on a different thread.
2. whenever i reply to a post,and the page opens, it asks for a "title". should this be the subject of my original thread or should it be regarding the subject of my reply (as the thread progresses, many times the two are different.
3. i still can't view the videos/tutorials. i did receive a reply directing me to utube but it does not contain all the videos/tutorials listed under "resources" on REAPER. i first posted a thread on "REAPER General Discussion Forum", described the prob and everything i had done to solve it - i got several replies but never solved the prob. At this stage i began to think maybe there was a prob with the link or a bug and so i posted on the "Bug Reports" forum. To re-state the problem - whenever i try to open one of the videos, after about 10 sec it says "timed out" At this point i'm not sure if it's a config prob on my end or a prob with the REAPER videos/tutorials. i'd app VERY MUCH if you (or anyone) would try viewing one of the videos and repy with your findings.

thanx
5string
Old 10-20-2010, 04:55 AM   #9
gofer
-blänk-

Hi 5string,
The videos linked on the resource page are working alright as far as I tried here. I am using adobe flash 10 as well.

Most of the time I just ignore the post title and leave it empty. Sometimes it's fun to put something in there, but speaking of myself I often overlook those titles when reading posts, so I deem it better to put everything relevant into the post itself.

While it's not forbidden to change topics or deal with several in one thread, most of the time it's not the smart thing to do. People won't expect a ReaTune question in this thread for example. so you will have much better chances of getting good advice in a separate thread for that.

Hope you get that video problem sorted.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #10
5string

Default can NOW view videos after downloading ver 3.72

hey gofer- thanks 4 the reply
yeah man, i didn't really do anything to fix it. this a m, whenever i went to open REAPER, i saw the new ver., downloaded it and it seems to have solved my prob (at least for the time being). I can only assume the prob was in ver 3.71 I can now watch the video's without having to go to you tube.

keep makin' music
5string
Old 10-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
gofer
-blänk-

As long as you are not trying to load those videos into Reaper it is highly unlikely that the new version fixed it. Maybe you just had a bad connection to the video site or something obscure.

Cool you can step forward now . Have fun.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:55 AM   #12
5string

not sure what u mean about loading the videos into REAPER. here's the way i've loaded (r attempted to load) them: REAPER homepage > reserves > REAPER
documentation > learning resources > videos > 12 video tutorials > pipeline
audio videos . it didn't matter if it were the pipeline aud or gearwire or whatever they wouldn't load.

tks 4 the comeback
5string
Old 10-24-2010, 09:46 AM   #13
hopi

I would suggest for starters that you download the pdf of the user guide and start reading the parts you need.

Also that you get the SWS extensions installed for your OS and system.

Also that you get asio4all installed to use with your sound card in reaper.

And again, ...you are just not going to get very far with that system.... likely you will get reaper to launch and run, but you will run out of ram and cpu power very fast when you try to do much. If you want to talk about what a DAW system requires, there are some threads about that or you can start a new one specific to your needs.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:28 PM   #14
Christophe
Immortal

The links were pointing to an old server on the wiki tutorial video page. We fixed them a few days ago.

They should all work now, let me know if you still have problems loading them.

http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/ReaperTutorials
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote