Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 06-30-2014, 06:44 AM   #1
PRS
Human being with feelings

Default Determining SD Card Slot Speed ?

I'd like to record on to an SDHC card in my laptop's internal SD card slot. Im running Win7 x64 on a dell studio xps.

My question is how can I determine the speed of my internal SD card reader ? If the reader tops out as say 30 mb/sec it wouldn't pay to go with the more expensive 80+ mb/sec cards. I'd like to therefore match as closely as possible the card to the reader.

I've searched google, Dell's web site ect but can't find any info on this. Is there a way to determine this... maybe a utility app or is this info buried somewhere in Win7 control panel ?

Thanks, PRS
PRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:17 AM   #2
TimOBrien

There are free drive speed utilities that read and write files to a drive and give you the real transfer rates.

Google is your friend.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
Trololo

This one for example:
http://www.heise.de/download/h2testw.html
Free, does integrity check and speed tests. SD-Card / USB-Stick / whatever media should be empty before testing. At least it should contain no important data.
The website is german (large computer magazine publisher) but the program is in english too.
Trololo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
Serenitynow

So, people are using an SD card to record on? How fast is it compared to SSD and reg. HD's?

Does using a Ramdisk program like AMD, or putting an SD card into your PC (forget the program/feature name) to speed things up re. memory use?

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
PRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOBrien View Post
There are free drive speed utilities that read and write files to a drive and give you the real transfer rates.

Google is your friend.

Yes I suppose, however I would have to order the card first to do that. As you can see from my post I would like to determine the speed prior to purchase.

I don't know if Google is my 'friend' or not, but so far it hasn't found an appropriate answer.

PRS
Old 06-30-2014, 09:02 AM   #6
PRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenitynow View Post
So, people are using an SD card to record on? How fast is it compared to SSD and reg. HD's?

Does using a Ramdisk program like AMD, or putting an SD card into your PC (forget the program/feature name) to speed things up re. memory use?

Thanks!

Hardware multitracks such as Boss, Tascam, Zoom, have been using SDHC for years. As for me it's just a matter of convenience when working on multiple systems.