COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > WDL users forum

Old 06-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #1
Nonlinear
Human being with feelings

Default How to display ITextControl on mouse over another control?

I want to display text when a control that is not near that text is "moused over".

I have tried using IKnobMultiControlText for this but it seems the text it displays is bounded to the area of the control's bitmap. I need to place the text elsewhere on the GUI and can't have 1 control take up the whole GUI.

So, it seems I need to use a separate ITextControl for this that is somehow linked to hide/show from the "moused over" control.

Any suggestions on how to do this? Is there another, better way?
Nonlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:11 PM   #2
earlevel

I could easily be missing an easier way, haven't been coding an interface recently with iPlug (or /2). But the straight-forward way would be to create a new control object that inherits from your knob. Add a data member that's of the type of your text control, and an accessor to set it, and also a mouseover override that, if it has a non-nil text control set, sends whatever to the text control.

When you create the interface in your initialization, pass the text control object pointer to your knob.
earlevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:22 PM   #3
Nonlinear

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlevel View Post
I could easily be missing an easier way, haven't been coding an interface recently with iPlug (or /2). But the straight-forward way would be to create a new control object that inherits from your knob. Add a data member that's of the type of your text control, and an accessor to set it, and also a mouseover override that, if it has a non-nil text control set, sends whatever to the text control.

When you create the interface in your initialization, pass the text control object pointer to your knob.
Thank you for the suggestion - will look into it!
Nonlinear is offline   Reply With Quote