Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-21-2020, 01:34 PM   #1
maxcomposer
Human being with feelings

Default Making automatically tracks a VCA ''follow'' with track names

Hi!

Is there a way to make any track be a slave (newly and rightly rename ''follow'') of a VCA?

E.g.

DRUMS VCA
BASS VCA

Drums - Snare bottom (automatically assigned as VCA follow of DRUMS VCA)
Drums - Snare top (automatically assigned as VCA follow of DRUMS VCA)
BASS - Slappy poppy (automatically assigned as VCA follow of BASS VCA)
[...]

And so on.

That would make a killer work follow instead of always selecting the tracks and opening the grouping menu and assign them. Just name it and it's gonna be assign! BAM.

Anyway, let me know!
maxcomposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:06 PM   #2
ericzang

This doesn't do it how you described, but is quite fast and helpful. Select the tracks you want to be under the same new vca and it then creates that vca with mute and solo linked also. Can find in Reapack https://reapack.com/
ericzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:29 AM   #3
maxcomposer

Thanks! As you said, not exactly what I'm looking for, but still useful.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:43 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

Templates and duplicating will accomplish most of what you want. Don’t make a new drum track, duplicate one that’s already set up.

But can I ask what VCA is actually doing for you and why you wouldn’t just use a folder or bus?
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:59 PM   #5
maxcomposer

In fact, that's what I did when I was working on Pro Tools! Everything was assign on VCAs and I duplicated them. The thing is I like to believe Reaper could auto assign tracks to VCAs so my workflow is more efficient. I already have big session and combining the necessary task of naming correctly all the tracks with assign them to VCAs would be a joy. In fact, there's already a similar fonction from SWS : Auto color by name. As you said, you could just make a template with each tracks already colored and you just duplicated them. But still, someone thought it'd be super useful to have auto color by name. As I think Auto VCA assign by name would be lovely.

For the folder, I use them for organizing section. For TV cues, I might have 10 cues, but I find it more logical to keep all the instrument of a single cue together instead of organizing them by instrument in all of there folder. With a 100+ track session, I would have to skip 10 tracks every time to work on the other track of the cue. So, having them next to each other make them more neat to work with.

Still, in the end, I have to export 10 episodes, so over 100 cues. Right now, I make sure everything is well named, then I select by names all the tracks I want into each VCAs.

Anyway, that has to be the same thing as Auto-Color Naming from SWS.