Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 11-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #41
airon
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
I can

I'd like to modify all these segments at once (click on a lane, marquee select them all, move up/down):

That's always been my biggest complain about REAPER's automation.
Here's where you get a bit of a usability problem with the marquee method, because it's actually quite easy to accidentally select things you don't want to select, if envelope points on one track are close to those on another track.

Area selection does something different, but I don't think it can be applied to what you want to do here.

Perhaps selecting across multiple envelopes should be limited to just track envelopes, and not item envelopes. The sad fact is that Reaper relies on activation before editing when it comes to envelopes.

A mouse modifier for selecting segments only with a marquee that, I dunno, glows green maybe ?
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #42
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Here's where you get a bit of a usability problem with the marquee method, because it's actually quite easy to accidentally select things you don't want to select, if envelope points on one track are close to those on another track.

Area selection does something different, but I don't think it can be applied to what you want to do here.

Perhaps selecting across multiple envelopes should be limited to just track envelopes, and not item envelopes. The sad fact is that Reaper relies on activation before editing when it comes to envelopes.

A mouse modifier for selecting segments only with a marquee that, I dunno, glows green maybe ?
Yes, apparently it should work on track envelopes and not per-take envelopes. I think the most intuitive way to make that work is just click on one lane and then marquee select all your points, that would bring the focus to the envelopes, no matter where they are.

[EDIT] Actually, I think area selection could work here. With areas selection I could even select points on non-contiguous lanes which would make it even more powerful, I think.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:34 PM   #43
plush2

How about just having any group selection be context sensitive. Currently if I shift or control select points, items or tracks for cut/copy/paste it is context sensitive. Make it so if I select a particular envelope type or lane for editing (volume, pan, etc.) on one of the tracks then it selects the corresponding type or lane for editing on all other selected tracks. I think this would allow for a nice flexible group editing scheme that would match the current paradigm.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #44
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
How about just having any group selection be context sensitive. Currently if I shift or control select points, items or tracks for cut/copy/paste it is context sensitive. Make it so if I select a particular envelope type or lane for editing (volume, pan, etc.) on one of the tracks then it selects the corresponding type or lane for editing on all other selected tracks. I think this would allow for a nice flexible group editing scheme that would match the current paradigm.
That's a fine idea.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:00 AM   #45
ivansc

now that would have saved me a lot of shift clicking last night.

maybe i DO need this.

Actually I have started delving deeper into the audio editing side recently because I got fed up invoking my external editor and have been pleasantly surprised, with a few exceptions like this.
Got a feeling I could be getting more vocal on some of the editing FRs in the near future.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:23 AM   #46
airon

Quote:
Yeah, that's what picking a "lane" or display type for the track itself does in PT with SHIFT+WIN+display-type.

Reaper would need some kind of display selector for the track itself as well, because while having that in the envelope lanes is a nice and tight focus on one task(displaying envelopes), it also potentially corrupts the entire track layout as new 'tracks' in the form of envelope lanes are added to the display.

Thus if you wish to display the volume envelope on all selected tracks, the cleaner method is to keep it on the track and just switch back to the normal track view afterwards. For anything more, the envelope lane is clearly superior, but for focused tasks like this, I would prefer the track display itself and not an extra lane to pop up.

So you would suggest that by default the display-selection (volume,pan,parameter and track view on the track itself) would apply to all selected tracks by default ?

Ok, let's assume I select some tracks with the AREA SELECTION, by simply click+dragging across a bunch of tracks. They would need to be adjacent to each other, but with non-contiguous area selection we could get other tracks with a click each.

I then get to change what these tracks(because we can't select lanes) show with a single click->submenu->click.

And changing those tracks back only would be the same. A quick click and drag(or a little more) and the same click->submenu->click, though the standard view might be right at the top or even not part of the parameter submenu.

For selecting envelope lanes it gets interesting. Let's assume we can select an envelope lane, since we cannot in the real Reaper yet.

You add tracks to your envelope lane selection. Would you even do that ? Hmm.

What would happen to tracks that don't have an envelope lane open, or have multiple open for that matter ?

Should the user be forced to open an envelope lane first ?

Should the tracks without envelope lanes open up another one automatically ? Or should they open the parameters envelope on the tracks themselves instead of opening a new envelope lane. Actually that would be more efficient, because that way the vertical layout of your session does not change.

So, if the priority is to use the existing track/envelope lane displays, instead of opening new ones, this has the following benefits :
  • area selection across your envelope/display-type choise is potentially much simpler, as there would might not even be tracks WITHOUT envelopes around where you edit. You wouldn't have to fear selecting an item by mistake on a track that is enclosed by envelope displays.
  • no extra scrolling required because the layout remains identical
  • the user has to adapt the least to the changed visual display

So in all I'd say, changing the display of a track or envelope lane would change them on the track/envelope lane you are picking the envelope/display-type at, plus all selected tracks.

The change of display type would maximize existing track/envelope resources.

As a visual example, here's some text-based visualization:
Code:
TRACK01-Main      | items displayed
TRACK01-env-volume| volume envelope displayed
TRACK02-Main      | items displayed

TRACK01-env-volume and TRACK02-Main is selected
The envelope "ReaEQ Band3 Gain" is selected for Track01-env-volume
resulting in: 

TRACK01-env-volume| "ReaEQ Band3 Gain" envelope displayed
TRACK02-Main      | "ReaEQ Band3 Gain" envelope displayed (if plugin exists with that many bands)
Did you have that in mind ?

Btw, Modifier+click on the envelope/display selector could be really cool for showing one type of envelope or display on all tracks too.

Last edited by airon; 11-22-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #47
plush2

That sounds like a better thought out version of what I was suggesting.

I would take it one step further and suggest that the Main window be reserved
for displaying the current edit if it is not in it's own dedicated lane already.
Using an extended version of your example...

Code:

resulting in: 

TRACK02-Main      | "ReaEQ Band3 Gain" envelope displayed (if plugin exists with that many bands)

The group edit is made and the group track selection is cancelled 
at which point the displays return to:

This way the user gets the visual feedback of what they are doing with the group-track edit but without opening extra or unwanted envelope lanes.

This is just an off-the-cuff question but what do you think about a general rule that the Main section of the track is always reserved to focus on the items/points being edited unless they already have a dedicated lane.

I'm thinking of this with regards to automating from the mixer panel or a control surface. It would require an alternate mode to the current one which opens a lane for each new automation control touched. I know this is useful to many users so I wouldn't want it to go away.

On the other hand when automating large numbers of parameters it's impractical to have envelope lanes pop up every time you touch something. This would allow visual feedback for the automation being written without the extra screen real-estate. The user could still manually open lanes for envelopes they always want on screen but otherwise they could just look to the Main display.

Last edited by plush2; 11-22-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:05 AM   #48
airon

Quote:
That sounds like a better thought out version of what I was suggesting.

I would take it one step further and suggest that the Main window be reserved
for displaying the current edit if it is not in it's own dedicated lane already.
Using an extended version of your example...

Code:

resulting in: 

The group edit is made and the group track selection is cancelled 
at which point the displays return to:

This way the user gets the visual feedback of what they are doing with the group-track edit but without opening extra or unwanted envelope lanes.
Sounds like you'd want edit group members to follow envelope/display-types set in one of the tracks. I'd certainly dig that.

Or should Reaper simply remember the selection of tracks, so that when you change back one track/envelope lane display, it changes in the tracks in that previous selection. I could dig that too. A good automatic thing that's likely to save a lot of time.

Other than that I don't quite get what you want to do. Zis engineer needs more detailz.

Quote:
This is just an off-the-cuff question but what do you think about a general rule that the Main section of the track is always reserved to focus on the items/points being edited unless they already have a dedicated lane.
You mean you can't edit the items if you want to have an envelope show up on the track ? Yeah, I'm all for that kind of focus, es-fuckin-specially when I'm doing this across multiple tracks.

Quote:
I'm thinking of this with regards to automating from the mixer panel or a control surface. It would require an alternate mode to the current one which opens a lane for each new automation control touched. I know this is useful to many users so I wouldn't want it to go away.
It's great for lots of users. No need to cut stuff away, I agree completely. In fact, I sometimes use these features myself.

Quote:
On the other hand when automating large numbers of parameters it's impractical to have envelope lanes pop up every time you touch something. This would allow visual feedback for the automation being written without the extra screen real-estate. The user could still manually open lanes for envelopes they always want on screen but otherwise they could just look to the Main display.
You want Reaper to change the envelope display on the main track to whatever I'm touching(in a writing mode) instead of popping up new lanes ? Interesting.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #49
TonE

Quote:
How to activate plugins and parameters for automation en masse. ... That's the activation stuff. The lack of this is one of the reasons I don't mix shows in Reaper.
Here my solution proposal: A new action which can open parameter mapping dialog using as input: track(name).fx(name).parameter(name)

As long as you name your tracks and fx orthogonally this should be a precise one-to-one mapping.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #50
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by aMUSEd View Post
Nope - I only want it on when I click record - otherwise it adds envelopes when I'm designing sounds too or even just setting the track up. I'd rather forget about modes - for me I just want automation to record when I press record
Well, during sound design, just switch to another automation mode, e.g. ignoring any automation, and map this to a button/midi event. So instead of toggling RECORD you would toggle this switch.

Or to have it exactly as you want, do two actions:
- recording-action: it switches to an automation mode you want, then starts recording
- stopping-recording-action: it stops recording, then switches to another automation mode

In short, you would replace the buttons RECORD and STOP with those actions, which would contain those auto-automation-mode changes. Very simple, or not?

Of course this system can be made as complex as you wish, up to your desire, setting up various tracks to different automation-modes and so on.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #51
TonE

What I am missing in any automation feature discussion is: What kind of automation? Automations for what? Automation in which scenario? Is it for editing, or for live performance? Is it for a long song, or a short looped segment? What is the purpose of current automation task, just general adjustments, or fine settings? Is the mouse used or only hardware interface?

What I want to say is: Automation is not automation, we should always add which kind of automation we are talking about?

Last edited by TonE; 11-24-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #52
airon

It's all mix automation.

This is about activation of parameters, so you can recored and edit automation in a time frame that makes it a viable solution, i.e. fun and efficient.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #53
TonE

Quote:
This is about activation of parameters, so you can recored and edit automation in a time frame that makes it a viable solution, i.e. fun and efficient.
In which scenario above? And why activating any parameters, here all the parameters I want to use, they are available on the hardware, I never need to activate anything. You see, different scenarios, already here.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #54
TonE

Quote:
It's all mix automation.
Of course mix automation, but still there are many different possible scenarios.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #55
airon

You could read up on the previous posts for some of those scenarios. And then there are quite a few videos out there that show you what scenarios this kind of stuff is used for.

From simple live fader rides, to preview-latching a hundred EQ parameters across a dozen tracks for a section of a mix, there's alot of ground to cover, all of which the suggested features cover.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #56
TonE

Maybe you can not understand me. In my opinion, every scenario needs a different solution, not the same.

Whenever I read anywhere "click" I know you are using the mouse... so irrelevant to me. For example for me it only matters how I can map, 1000 or more controls from the hardware to different parameters in the project, as simple and as quick as possible. After the mapping is done, automation is also possible, in various forms, inversion, selection, arming... but this is another topic.

A note is a note, but you can compose heavy metal with notes or do what Mozart did, the same is with automation. If ten members here in the forum use the word "automation", probably everybody means something different. In 90% of the cases?
Old 11-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #57
plush2

Airon, in answer to your questions I will try to demonstrate what I was describing.

In our first example we have a very simple two track layout with various audio items on both tracks. Track 1 has no visible automation lanes and Track 2 has 3 visible automation lanes. No tracks or lanes are currently selected.

**Please ignore the fact that in all following pictures we are in "read" mode (the green overlay on the volume and pan for Track 2). It is inconsequential to the example.

Now we have selected the volume lane on Track 2 for editing and have shift or ctrl selected Track 1 to add it to the selection group. By selecting the volume envelope lane on Track 2 we indicate to Reaper that we want to group edit the volume automation for all selected tracks.
  • Because the volume lane is not open in Track 1, Reaper opens up the volume envelope over the main track view. So we can see the changes we make.
  • Because the volume lane is open in Track 2 the main track view stays the same and the lane will indicate the edits.
We have also made a time selection over which we want to make the group volume automation edit.

Now we raise the volume on both Track 1 and Track 2 by 5dB during the selected time. NOTE: this is only a demo of an idea. It can not currently be done in Reaper

Now we cancel our selection of Track 1 and it returns to it's original state. The main view allows editing of items again and the volume envelope is hidden away until it is visually needed again. The volume envelope for Track 2 stays in it's lane because it was showing before the group edit was made.

This is simple 2 track example but I can imagine this would scale up rather nicely. The only requirement would be that a volume envelope would need to be showing on at least one of the target tracks so it could be selected. Alternatively I suppose a hotkey or really any selection method would do the same job.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:04 PM   #58
Mercado_Negro

@plush2: I like that. I just don't understand why track 1 should lose its volume automation once we deselect it. I think it should just keep what we just did. This way we could deselect this track, select another track, move the segment in track 2 and adjust it as well (relatively, of course).
Old 11-24-2011, 11:06 PM   #59
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Maybe you can not understand me. In my opinion, every scenario needs a different solution, not the same.

Whenever I read anywhere "click" I know you are using the mouse... so irrelevant to me. For example for me it only matters how I can map, 1000 or more controls from the hardware to different parameters in the project, as simple and as quick as possible. After the mapping is done, automation is also possible, in various forms, inversion, selection, arming... but this is another topic.

A note is a note, but you can compose heavy metal with notes or do what Mozart did, the same is with automation. If ten members here in the forum use the word "automation", probably everybody means something different. In 90% of the cases?
If you are interested in mapping parameters to hardware controls then that fits in well with the controller interface discussions on this forum and is indeed a different (albeit related) subject than the one we are discussing. We are trying to focus more on efficient capture, manipulation/editing and playback (visual and audio) of large amounts of automation data within Reaper. A control surface can be used to input that automation but so can a mouse or keyboard move. We just want to focus on what happens once it hits the program itself.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:12 PM   #60
plush2

Quote:
@plush2: I like that. I just don't understand why track 1 should lose its volume automation once we deselect it. I think it should just keep what we just did. This way we could deselect this track, select another track, move the segment in track 2 and adjust it as well (relatively, of course).
I guess I thought that if you group selected 15 tracks and edited the volume envelope for all of them you would prefer by default to
  1. visually see the changes on all tracks as you are making them and
  2. have the tracks return to the visual mode they were in before the edit

I believe there are hotkeys to bring up specific envelope types on selected tracks but not so many to return tracks to their original (if you edit like me then sometimes random) state.

This is all up for debate so please help me see my blind spot.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:35 AM   #61
airon

To return to the previous state of what envelopes we see where, we would just change the track selection then, right ?

So I suppose edits on the envelope that is now visible on every selected track would not change that track selection.

Well, here's an expansion of the idea.

While that track selection remains(and those are savable in slots), selecting another envelope either by clicking on to one that is already open in any of the selected tracks, or by calling up an envelope via the envelope button context menu(my least favorite),

the selected tracks now focus on that envelope, placing it on the main track(and hiding the previous one) if necessary.

This could be a really cool automatic shift of focus for as many tracks as you like just by selecting an envelope on ONE of the selected tracks.

This would go over real smooth with edit groups, where group members are all selected if one is selected.

What a fine concept.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:04 AM   #62
TonE

Quote:
We just want to focus on what happens once it hits the program itself.
Me, too, apart from the mapping. For me the solution should lie somewhere between the available actions for envelopes, automation modes, snapshots, selections, auto-pre&post-state settings, modes and their DYNAMIC USE. And while doing this, defining exactly which action is missing where, why. Not writing long tales.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:09 AM   #63
airon

We're discussing editing improvements at the moment. Do you have ideas to add ?
Old 11-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #64
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
I guess I thought that if you group selected 15 tracks and edited the volume envelope for all of them you would prefer by default to
  1. visually see the changes on all tracks as you are making them and
  2. have the tracks return to the visual mode they were in before the edit

I believe there are hotkeys to bring up specific envelope types on selected tracks but not so many to return tracks to their original (if you edit like me then sometimes random) state.

This is all up for debate so please help me see my blind spot.
To hide stuff automatically is a bit drastic, I think. I'd like to have an option to keep envelopes visible if we deselect this track (while grouping). If I changed, deliberately, an envelope I'd like to keep it right there where I can see it and preserve these edits, even if I deselect its track.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #65
Nick Morris

Quote:
To hide stuff automatically is a bit drastic, I think. I'd like to have an option to keep envelopes visible if we deselect this track (while grouping). If I changed, deliberately, an envelope I'd like to keep it right there where I can see it and preserve these edits, even if I deselect its track.
I hear you on this, but it seems the idea was that the envelope that would be hidden automatically would be one that was never really supposed to be visible, except for that automation edit. It makes sense to me to hide it in these situations.
Nick Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #66
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
I hear you on this, but it seems the idea was that the envelope that would be hidden automatically would be one that was never really supposed to be visible, except for that automation edit. It makes sense to me to hide it in these situations.
But if it was modified, why should I lose that if I deselect it?
Old 11-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #67
TonE

Quote:
We're discussing editing improvements at the moment. Do you have ideas to add ?
Of course, I am trying to convert long tales into "missing action descriptions".
Old 11-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #68
plush2

Quote:
. If I changed, deliberately, an envelope I'd like to keep it right there where I can see it and preserve these edits, even if I deselect its track.
I'm not sure if you are interpreting the hiding of the envelope with the effective disabling of it and/or the edits done. This is not the intention. All edits done will remain effective and can be recalled to view by selecting the (in our example) volume envelope in a lane or over the main view in the usual ways.
If I'm wrong then we can have a legitimate disagreement which is just fine. I can definitely see your point and it's likely just a different way of working.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #69
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
I'm not sure if you are interpreting the hiding of the envelope with the effective disabling of it and/or the edits done. This is not the intention. All edits done will remain effective and can be recalled to view by selecting the (in our example) volume envelope in a lane or over the main view in the usual ways.
If I'm wrong then we can have a legitimate disagreement which is just fine. I can definitely see your point and it's likely just a different way of working.
So those edits on track 1 will remain (but the lane will be hidden), right? I can live with that, yeah, looks useful (to save screen space automatically).
Old 11-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #70
plush2

Quote:
So those edits on track 1 will remain (but the lane will be hidden), right? I can live with that, yeah, looks useful (to save screen space automatically).
Exactly. I can totally understand your opposition if that wasn't the case.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #71
airon

We might want to sort out whether there are real world workflows we're coming up with these ideas for.

I can see a use in selecting a bunch of tracks, calling up a specific envelope on one and have all the other selected tracks try to display that envelope, if it exists on those tracks.

The fun shortcut is that the selection never goes away for edit groups, as long as you're mucking about on one of their members.

It works the other way around too. If hide an envelope lane or change the track display from an envelope to the normal item view(an as of yet to be posted FR), the group members will follow, temporary(selection based) or edit group based.

I probably wouldn't use the automatic hiding after just one edit, if that's what you're proposed, Daryl. What mistakes could one make if such an automatic behaviour were introduced ?
Old 11-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #72
plush2

Quote:
I can see a use in selecting a bunch of tracks, calling up a specific envelope on one and have all the other selected tracks try to display that envelope, if it exists on those tracks.
What will the behaviour be if the envelope doesn't exist on a track? Will it be enabled if possible (ie. volume, pan..other common track controls) and left if not (ie. plugins and other less common controls)? I would think the it simpler to do as you suggest and only have it show up if it already exists.

My long term idea is of course a read mode where all common controls are automatically enabled so this would cease to be an issue for large scale (complete) automation.

Quote:
I probably wouldn't use the automatic hiding after just one edit, if that's what you're proposed, Daryl. What mistakes could one make if such an automatic behaviour were introduced ?
My suggestion is more that the focus envelope in Track 1 would only hide once it was removed from the group of selected tracks...not necessarily after a single edit. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear in the description.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #73
airon

Quote:
What will the behaviour be if the envelope doesn't exist on a track? Will it be enabled if possible (ie. volume, pan..other common track controls) and left if not (ie. plugins and other less common controls)? I would think the it simpler to do as you suggest and only have it show up if it already exists.

My long term idea is of course a read mode where all common controls are automatically enabled so this would cease to be an issue for large scale (complete) automation.
It's worth reviewing what methods we have(*chuckle*) and what have been proposed.

What you're suggesting may just be a stamp-all-parameters-across-the-session command, sort of like a automate-and-safe-write-all option in case someone starts using automation.

As an option, I'd certainly welcome that, but we'd have to keep it off as a default, because I'm speculating that a lot of music folks here will want to introduce envelopes as they go, and not wonder why nothing's staying put as they twist a knob even in Read/Trim mode(an unfortunately named mode).

The other suggested methods cover a more selective approach. Arming everything with a change to an automation mode, is pretty neat for fast setup. The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to use it.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:25 PM   #74
plush2

Okay, while poking around in Reaper automation land I've (re)-discovered a few interesting/quick ways to arm and possibly edit many parameters at once. It's still rough but I think knowing what our current toolset can do helps narrow down the things that it can't do or doesn't do smoothly.
  1. while in any of the automation enter modes (write, touch, latch) you can ctrl-click on track parameters to activate and arm them. This works for multiple track selections and grouped tracks.
  2. as long as you're willing to give up the "add transition point when recording automation while playback is stopped" then multiple envelopes of the same type can be edited one point at a time (not over a selection as described above).

One other thing I have noticed while poking around with reascript is that Reaper is very lean on it's automation approach. It doesn't like activated envelopes hanging around. For example, if the user selects the Volume envelope from the track automation drop down list then Reaper creates the automation lane and enters the activated envelope into the active RPP data. If no extra points (other than the first default one) are written to that envelope and it is then hidden it will cease to be active at all. Reaper de-activates it in the automation drop down list and removes it from the RPP data.

I mention it because I think this action speaks to the aesthetic the devs are going for. They would rather not have automation at all unless it is functionally changing controls over time.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:16 AM   #75
airon

Quote:
Okay, while poking around in Reaper automation land I've (re)-discovered a few interesting/quick ways to arm and possibly edit many parameters at once. It's still rough but I think knowing what our current toolset can do helps narrow down the things that it can't do or doesn't do smoothly.
  1. while in any of the automation enter modes (write, touch, latch) you can ctrl-click on track parameters to activate and arm them. This works for multiple track selections and grouped tracks.
  2. as long as you're willing to give up the "add transition point when recording automation while playback is stopped" then multiple envelopes of the same type can be edited one point at a time (not over a selection as described above).

What exactly were you doing ? I don't understand. CTRL+click on what exactly ?
Old 11-29-2011, 06:54 AM   #76
plush2

Quote:
What exactly were you doing ? I don't understand. CTRL+click on what exactly ?
Set global automation to write, touch, or latch. CTRL+click on any control (other than solo) in the MCP or TCP. A new automation lane will appear with the constant current value for that control and an automation point wherever the cursor currently is.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:43 AM   #77
airon

Ah. The method that works if you have the option to activate parameters when you touch stuff on.

That's off for me. And before someone clever suggests this is the answer any problem, it isn't for tracks with dozens of parameters, and it usually won't be just one track either.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:00 AM   #78
TonE

Quote:
A new automation lane will appear with the constant current value for that control and an automation point wherever the cursor currently is.
You mean it resets that clicked parameter to its current value, over the entire project?
Old 11-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #79
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
You mean it resets that clicked parameter to its current value, over the entire project?
No, if the control is already automated then it simply adds a point at the current time that is the current value so it has essentially no audible effect.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:14 AM   #80
plush2

Quote:
Ah. The method that works if you have the option to activate parameters when you touch stuff on.

That's off for me. And before someone clever suggests this is the answer any problem, it isn't for tracks with dozens of parameters, and it usually won't be just one track either.
This I completely understand. As I stated in that post, I think the whole current state of automation definitely suggests that the devs view automation as a "less is better" proposition and have built the tools to quickly get in, get automated and get out. It works brilliantly but it creates big workflow problems when scaled up to large amounts of automation.