Old 01-16-2018, 10:51 AM   #1
upside24
Human being with feelings

Default "FX have been preserved" issue

Hello all. I sent a ticket to Waves regarding this, but thought I may get faster, possibly better help from the Reaper Community. My issue:

I attempted to install new products purchased and my Waves Installer needed to be updated. I did the installer update, then saw that I had multiple updates to my plugins that needed to be installed and updated them as well. (Great!)

BUT then after reopening the project I was working on (coincidentally it was tuning 5 vocal tracks) the location of the Vocal Tune Mono plugin couldn't be found and the 'FX have been preserved but may not sound the same' message appeared in Reaper. What's odd is that I can open a new version of the Vocal Tune Mono plugin just fine, but how can I preserve the hours of work I did on each of those tracks?

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.
upside24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:13 AM   #2
ivansc

If you check via the search feature, you will find an endless parade of similar problems being discussed.
99% sure you can fix this by doing a clear/rescan of your plugins in Reaper. What happens is that, because Waves uses the waveshell to contain all its plugins, when you get some hew stuff, Reaper doesnt "see" any change and so doesnt re-scan the waveshell file(s) which is how it WOULD pick up the newly added plugins that you bought.

So do a clear/rescan and it will either sort you out right away or Reaper will throw up a window asking you where the waveshell file is currently located.
Do the C/R and let us know how you get on.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
upside24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
If you check via the search feature, you will find an endless parade of similar problems being discussed.
99% sure you can fix this by doing a clear/rescan of your plugins in Reaper. What happens is that, because Waves uses the waveshell to contain all its plugins, when you get some hew stuff, Reaper doesnt "see" any change and so doesnt re-scan the waveshell file(s) which is how it WOULD pick up the newly added plugins that you bought.

So do a clear/rescan and it will either sort you out right away or Reaper will throw up a window asking you where the waveshell file is currently located.
Do the C/R and let us know how you get on.
ivansc,

Thank you for your reply. I have cleared the cache and rescanned for all VSTs, including the WavesShell. Unfortunately, I'm still receiving the same message where the original instance of Waves Tune cannot be found. It's really frustrating. I might have to start over on all 5 vocal tracks. Do you know if Reaper can tell me what directory it was pointing to before I updated the Waves Shell? TIA. -I've uploaded a screenshot too.
Attached Images
File Type: gif waves tune.gif (61.8 KB, 130 views)
Old 01-18-2018, 05:30 AM   #4
ivansc

Sadly unless you saved your settings in the original wavestune instance, they are GONE.

All part of the Waves Experience.... You should still however have all the tweaks you applied to the original track in the track IIR. Have you tried copying the "new" wavestune plug into the old track? You never know.....

NOTE:

This is a Scientific Wild-Assed Guess, as opposed to a regular Wild-Assed Guess.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:18 AM   #5
upside24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Sadly unless you saved your settings in the original wavestune instance, they are GONE.

All part of the Waves Experience.... You should still however have all the tweaks you applied to the original track in the track IIR. Have you tried copying the "new" wavestune plug into the old track? You never know.....

NOTE:

This is a Scientific Wild-Assed Guess, as opposed to a regular Wild-Assed Guess.
Man, this has been quite the experience for me. Let me say this though, Waves Support has been exceptional. Online communication was OK, but calling and speaking to someone was awesome.

To help others that might experience what I did...
Waves found that there had to be an issue with the new version of the installer combined with my Waves plugins. According to the tech the version of the Waves Central installer was not up to date with the newest version of Reaper. Oddly, i updated to the new version of Reaper just after it went live (which seems like December) and all my Waves plugins worked then.

Long story short, I installed the previous version of Waves Central (v.9), and installed the products OFFLINE and now it appears that that everything is working. At least Waves Tune did and I was able to Freeze my tracks before saving and then finally going to bed last night. Whew.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:55 PM   #6
Jimmy James

After a clear and rescan. Add the plugin back to the track. It will load the old setting you have a lot of the time. Then delete the old vst that isn't working.
Example, Kramer HLS isn't working.
Load a new Kramer HLS and ply the track. Should have your settings. Then delete the old vst.
If that doesn't work, you will have to dig in again.
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:31 AM   #7
ivansc

I have never really had much luck with restoring settings, Jimmy. This probably works if there is no other change, but I am assuming that reaper "sees" all the waves plugs as being new versions even when they are not. I will do some tests next time it happens to me.