Old 06-10-2019, 06:48 AM   #1
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Default Gig Footage - Kravitz

It's gig four for the cover band, in some club out in the sticks this past Saturday night. Until gig ten, it's officially live band practice. Took two GoPros with me and plopped on either side of the stage, then extracted/massaged the audio from the cameras in Reaper. Lo-fi'd the video because they don't do very well in such dark conditions.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:46 AM   #2
Glennbo

Pretty cool Karbo. I quit gigging about six months ago after reluctantly being talked into doing it again. Hehe, I made it to about ten gigs and remembered how much I hate hanging out in bars and getting home at three in the morning. I told the guys in the band that I didn't want to do it, and if it started feeling like work, I would quit, coz "I don't wanna work" being a retired drummer and all.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:56 AM   #3
karbomusic

I'm not getting any younger but at this point it's more about gigging because I still can. Who knows what is going to stop working or start hurting in the near future. I suppose I'll play (live or otherwise) until I can't anymore, cuz it's fun if the players are good.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:23 PM   #4
plgrmsprgrs

Great video, Karbo! Was hoping for more than just one song.

Kyle
Old 06-10-2019, 01:57 PM   #5
karbomusic

Thanks Kyle!

I brought home >100GB of video but haven't sifted through that much of it yet. It's normal purpose is internal review for the band but I often share a snip here and there on the forum.

Thanks for the listen!
Old 06-10-2019, 02:00 PM   #6
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I'm not getting any younger but at this point it's more about gigging because I still can. Who knows what is going to stop working or start hurting in the near future. I suppose I'll play (live or otherwise) until I can't anymore, cuz it's fun if the players are good.
If I had a roadie to tear my drums down in the studio, transport them to the gig and set them back up at some club, then do the reverse at the end of the gig so I'm back to ready to record in the studio again I'd reconsider. Maybe if I played guitar and could waltz in with a guitar in one hand and an amp in the other.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:07 PM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Maybe if I played guitar and could waltz in with a guitar in one hand and an amp in the other.
I get it. I used to carry two 4-12s and a full stereo rig, then I downsized to 1 amp, pedalboard, guitar. Still though, other than a 5 year break when I moved out of town in the early 2000s, I've been in one or more gigging bands since 1986; and I know age is going to make it impossible at some point and I do NOT want to look back and wish I had done it more while I was able.

The stage truly feels like 2nd home and friends and family gigging with a core of musicians I've gigged with for as many years. I think I appreciate and value it more now than I ever did in the past - though it does hurt more now physically than then lol.

+ I never work out, it makes me tired but the exercise is good for me.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #8
Glennbo

Quote:
I get it. I used to carry two 4-12s and a full stereo rig, then I downsized to 1 amp, pedalboard, guitar. Still though, other than a 5 year break when I moved out of town in the early 2000s, I've been in one or more gigging bands since 1986; and I know age is going to make it impossible at some point and I do NOT want to look back and wish I had done it more while I was able.

The stage truly feels like 2nd home and friends and family gigging with a core of musicians I've gigged with for as many years. I think I appreciate and value it more now than I ever did in the past - though it does hurt more now physically than then lol.

+ I never work out, it makes me tired but the exercise is good for me.
I think I got it out of my system and hit my quota a while back.

I toured constantly from the moment I got out of highschool in 75 till 1979 backing up a guy who had a few gold records, then took a one year break then in 1981 got in a band with most of the same guys I toured with and played locally for the next five years.

Then in 1991 I got a cush job as a programmer and took five years off, but then got back in a busy band that was playing all over the place (even had a cheezy bus) but after five years of that thought I was done. Then the last guys I played with begged me to get in their band, and that was the last ten or so gigs for me.

Playing gigs supported me most of my adult life, and I'll never regret doing any of it, but I think I've been on stage enough for my lifetime.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:48 PM   #9
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Playing gigs supported me most of my adult life, and I'll never regret doing any of it, but I think I've been on stage enough for my lifetime.
We're gonna miss ya.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:08 PM   #10
TheMaartian

Quote:
It's gig four for the cover band, in some club out in the sticks this past Saturday night. Until gig ten, it's officially live band practice. Took two GoPros with me and plopped on either side of the stage, then extracted/massaged the audio from the cameras in Reaper. Lo-fi'd the video because they don't do very well in such dark conditions.

That was fun!
TheMaartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:23 PM   #11
Glennbo

Quote:
We're gonna miss ya.
There's always jam night. Play someone else's drums.