Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 03-23-2021, 01:04 PM   #361
grandfougue
Human being with feelings

when we have to record an automation to save it on the envelope is there another way than to press on save?
grandfougue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:39 AM   #362
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandfougue View Post
when we have to record an automation to save it on the envelope is there another way than to press on save?
Well - another way is to activate automation write on the target track - so any knob movements will be captured as you make them.
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:54 AM   #363
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlabs View Post
Been using these scripts together with realearn 1.10 for more than a year. Running really smoothly. After a short adventure with realearn 2.71 (which somehow was an absolute failure for me. somehow my setup doesn't work with it) I decided to go back to my original setup.

btw: I don't want to say anything negative about Helgoboss. I think he's doing an awesome job, but I couldn't get 2.71 to work in my system.
What sort of problems did you encounter?

I'm running the same as you Realearn 1.1 and smart knobs using fader box with a midi fighter twister. I was gonna update realearn but might wait now.....
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:08 AM   #364
fbeauvaisc

Default X-Touch Compact motorized fader in midi mode

Hello everyone,

Is it possible to have midi feedback activate the motorized faders of an x-touch compact in midi mode?

Currently my 9 faders are bound to midi actions.

From left to right, I've got 4 send levels, metronome volume, last touch parameter, CC1, CC1 and lastly, selected track volume.

Is there a way for midi feedback to make the faders adjust to track selection? I would not want the faders assigned to CCs to move since slow movements like vibrato and xfade velocity would be too noisy and always moving.

But I would love for my send levels and selected track volume to change upon track selection.

Sorry if I haven't read the whole 10 pages but can the smart knobs script do that?

Thank you,
fbeauvaisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:08 AM   #365
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbeauvaisc View Post
Hello everyone,

Is it possible to have midi feedback activate the motorized faders of an x-touch compact in midi mode?

Currently my 9 faders are bound to midi actions.

From left to right, I've got 4 send levels, metronome volume, last touch parameter, CC1, CC1 and lastly, selected track volume.

Is there a way for midi feedback to make the faders adjust to track selection? I would not want the faders assigned to CCs to move since slow movements like vibrato and xfade velocity would be too noisy and always moving.

But I would love for my send levels and selected track volume to change upon track selection.

Sorry if I haven't read the whole 10 pages but can the smart knobs script do that?

Thank you,
Hi,

The current version of Smart Knobs only allows for controlling plugins. But the long awaited and hopefully released by the summer SK2 can certainly do all that. It's pretty much complete already - but will require docs otherwise my life will be spent explaining how to do stuff with it.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:21 AM   #366
fbeauvaisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
Hi,

The current version of Smart Knobs only allows for controlling plugins. But the long awaited and hopefully released by the summer SK2 can certainly do all that. It's pretty much complete already - but will require docs otherwise my life will be spent explaining how to do stuff with it.
Wow that's great! Let me know if you need beta testers Maybe you could just send it to a YouTube channel that makes the video tutorials for you?

Looking forward to this and will donate for sure!

Thanks!

Last edited by fbeauvaisc; 03-27-2021 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-03-2021, 07:02 AM   #367
foxAsteria

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Simple to do and currently possible with ReaLearn.
Old 04-03-2021, 10:01 AM   #368
earlabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
What sort of problems did you encounter?

I'm running the same as you Realearn 1.1 and smart knobs using fader box with a midi fighter twister. I was gonna update realearn but might wait now.....
What I learned was that it was not backward compatible. So basically I had start all over again. And that became a total fack up.

Helgoboss is working on a realearn that embodies the function of smartknobs. Which conceptually looks really cool. But after a few days of frustration I decided to go back version 1.10. Had to reinstall a lot but now it's working fine.

"If it isn't broken, don't fix it"
Old 04-03-2021, 11:10 AM   #369
fbeauvaisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Simple to do and currently possible with ReaLearn.
Define simple. Can Realearn do it on it's own?

I tried the following method that uses a combination of scripts and did not think it was simple and never got it to move my faders :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0LB...=TheREAPERBlog

I though I'd wait for Smart Knob version 2 but if you have a temporary solution that's simple as you say, I'm all ears. Or maybe just point me to the right thread.

Thanks for your help,
Old 04-06-2021, 12:51 PM   #370
foxAsteria

Quote:
Define simple. Can Realearn do it on it's own?
That tutorial caused me lot of problems. It describes an unnecessary, convoluted workaround that was confusing then and entirely outdated now. Reaper blog ought to remove it honestly; it's only going to create more confusion.

Ironic thing is, it was about the only guide there was for years and many people like me would ask lb0 why it wasn't working and it's because ReaLearn and SmartKnobs were never intended to work together; he'd never even used ReaLearn.

Anyways, new better version now and it's designed specifically for this kind of stuff (parameter feedback etc).

1. Put ReaLearn on your monitor fx chain.
2. Select the device as input and output inside ReaLearn
3. Learn your parameters.

Simple enough? It's dead simple if set up correctly and your hardware actually supports feedback, but there are myriad ways it could go wrong in any particular setup and ReaLearn is admittedly super complex on the whole.

Great new intro video:
Old 04-06-2021, 01:09 PM   #371
fbeauvaisc

Thanks, I'll definitely look into this!
Old 04-06-2021, 01:44 PM   #372
cjewellstudios

Quote:
That tutorial caused me lot of problems. It describes an unnecessary, convoluted workaround that was confusing then and entirely outdated now. Reaper blog ought to remove it honestly; it's only going to create more confusion.

Ironic thing is, it was about the only guide there was for years and many people like me would ask lb0 why it wasn't working and it's because ReaLearn and SmartKnobs were never intended to work together; he'd never even used realearn.
To be fair, midi/daw control with feedback is/was/and probably will be for a long time a convoluted subject to begin with.

I agree that it was a little bit deeper in the weeds than necessary. But I'm sure almost everybody in this thread knows the extreme lengths we would all go to get a nice, reliable midi hardware setup. That video was just where I was at in that journey and I thought it would help people.

Definitely sorry that it caused you grief! There were a few sad stories of people not getting things working.

I've since moved on to CSI and just like helgoboss, Geoff is doing some really great things over there. I almost wish them two and lb0 would combine their mind and see what they came up with
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 01:54 PM   #373
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjewellstudios View Post
To be fair, midi/daw control with feedback is/was/and probably will be for a long time a convoluted subject to begin with.

I agree that it was a little bit deeper in the weeds than necessary. But I'm sure almost everybody in this thread knows the extreme lengths we would all go to get a nice, reliable midi hardware setup. That video was just where I was at in that journey and I thought it would help people.

Definitely sorry that it caused you grief! There were a few sad stories of people not getting things working.

I've since moved on to CSI and just like helgoboss, Geoff is doing some really great things over there. I almost wish them two and lb0 would combine their mind and see what they came up with
Well actually - for some controllers - using Realearn in the way you did was actually the only way to get feedback working with some controllers and Smart Knobs. The method I provided for feedback was very rudimentary and simple - but was not compatible with controllers which couldn't be reprogrammed. So it certainly was (and still is) beneficial to some people and I still appreciate the efforts you went to.
Old 04-06-2021, 02:06 PM   #374
cjewellstudios

Quote:
Well actually - for some controllers - using Realearn in the way you did was actually the only way to get feedback working with some controllers and Smart Knobs. The method I provided for feedback was very rudimentary and simple - but was not compatible with controllers which couldn't be reprogrammed. So it certainly was (and still is) beneficial to some people and I still appreciate the efforts you went to.
Well thank you!

FoxAsteria was right too though. I put a few people through the wringer!
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 02:37 PM   #375
foxAsteria

Quote:
Sorry wasn't meaning to trash your efforts at all and the tools have come a long way since then. I certainly got some help from the video, but it was all new to me then and adding new elements also made problems harder to troubleshoot. I definitely appreciate anyone taking the time to share tools and info on how to use them tho.

Just wanted to make it clear that ReaLearn is currently the best tool available for controller feedback at the moment (AFAIK) and following the old tutorial is not advisable even if it's the one people are most likely to encounter first.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 04-07-2021 at 06:20 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 02:45 PM   #376
fbeauvaisc

One thing about Reaper is that there are many ways of getting things done and no work around is too big if it gets the jobs done. Or if only to show workflows from a different perspective.

I've been super busy lately but I'm sure I would have made it work with a little effort. As soon as I learned that Smart Knob 2 was going to solve my need for midi feedback, I kind of abandoned the troubleshoot.

Thank you all for your precious work. I'm following all threads now.
Old 04-07-2021, 01:24 AM   #377
mozart999uk

Quote:
Well thank you!

I found that tutorial very helpful and I've been using that setup for months now with a midi fighter twister with virtually no problems. (A couple have arisen but that's been due to user error &#128514

The thing I like about it is that fact that once you press save on LBX it automatically remembers whenever you have the same plugin in focus in another project.

I don't know if there's a less complex way to achieve that and still get feedback on my MFT but to be honest I don't care at the moment. Your tutorial gave me what I needed and the system works well.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:20 AM   #378
fbeauvaisc

Quote:

1. Put ReaLearn on your monitor fx chain.
2. Select the device as input and output inside ReaLearn
3. Learn your parameters.
Wow it is simple and seems to work well with selected track volume. I do get some fader feedback on my X-Touch Compact with selected track. I still could not get my CC and send levels to move the faders but I guess I should migrate my issues in the proper ReaLearn thread.

Thanks,
Old 04-28-2021, 02:58 AM   #379
Skorobagatko

Is there a way to increase faders count in FaderBox from 8 to let's say 16? I tried to load 2 Faderbox instances but it didn't work.
Skorobagatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 03:26 AM   #380
ejanejarr

Hi lb0, glad to hear sk2 is expected for summer (not pressure intended, it'll be ready when it's ready). I've been following both this thread and the lbx stripper discussion, but I'm feeling a little thick.

I have a Novation Circuit with 8 knobs (5 banks, so 48 knobs, actually) of cc's. The knobs leds change color when switching banks. SK1 is not doing it for me because I'd need the UI to match the layout of the Circuit. What I need is the "wrapper" UI to have 5 rows of 8 knobs with labels for the parameter and matching colors for the leds of the controller. No fancy UI, just simple 2D knobs (I think I can manage to make them myself if necessary). That way, it's the sk UI I'd be referencing to, not the plugin UI itself (most of the time). Something like the old Novation automap wrapper, I guess.

Will this be doable with sk2, or should I go for lbx stripper (I've kinda tried but it might be too much for me anyway)?

Anyway, thanks for the great hard work you're doing!
ejanejarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:06 AM   #381
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorobagatko View Post
Is there a way to increase faders count in FaderBox from 8 to let's say 16? I tried to load 2 Faderbox instances but it didn't work.
Hi - the Faderbox should provide 32 faders?? So I'm a bit confused. Also - stacking multiple faderboxes on the LBX_SKCTL track should enable more assignable faders (you may need to restart the script)
Old 04-28-2021, 09:18 AM   #382
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejanejarr View Post
Hi lb0, glad to hear sk2 is expected for summer (not pressure intended, it'll be ready when it's ready). I've been following both this thread and the lbx stripper discussion, but I'm feeling a little thick.

I have a Novation Circuit with 8 knobs (5 banks, so 48 knobs, actually) of cc's. The knobs leds change color when switching banks. SK1 is not doing it for me because I'd need the UI to match the layout of the Circuit. What I need is the "wrapper" UI to have 5 rows of 8 knobs with labels for the parameter and matching colors for the leds of the controller. No fancy UI, just simple 2D knobs (I think I can manage to make them myself if necessary). That way, it's the sk UI I'd be referencing to, not the plugin UI itself (most of the time). Something like the old Novation automap wrapper, I guess.

Will this be doable with sk2, or should I go for lbx stripper (I've kinda tried but it might be too much for me anyway)?

Anyway, thanks for the great hard work you're doing!
I am not familiar with that controller. When assigning parameters to controls in SK2 - you can use a UI control map that you can create yourself (using a control map creator script which will also be supplied).

This UI is only visible when assigning controls - but not visible in the main SK2 GUI that can be visible all the time - but simply clicking an assignable slot will open the assignments window.

If each bank of the knobs uses different CC (or other midi) messages for the knobs - then you should be able to create a map with 5 rows of 8 knobs... If each bank uses the same CC's (or other midi) - which to me doesn't make sense as I'm not sure how it would work - then maybe not.

You can also combine SK2 with Stripper - so Stripper creates a virtual version of your controller - where you can use the controls - and make assignments (via the assignments window).

As long as the controller sends out standard midi messages - and receives standard midi messages for feedback - then it should work ok. The old automap was a bit of a pain with some controllers - for example my Impulse keyboard's Encoders only worked with Automap - as the keyboard would not receive any feedback via midi - only via automap - and SK2 requires standard midi messages to communicate...
Old 04-28-2021, 09:19 AM   #383
Skorobagatko

Quote:
Hi - the Faderbox should provide 32 faders?? So I'm a bit confused. Also - stacking multiple faderboxes on the LBX_SKCTL track should enable more assignable faders (you may need to restart the script)
What do you mean by "should provide"? It always opens with 8 faders, do I have to change this number somewhere in the script editor?

I tried to restart the script, nothing happens.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:22 AM   #384
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorobagatko View Post
What do you mean by "should provide"? It always opens with 8 faders, do I have to change this number somewhere in the script editor?

I tried to restart the script, nothing happens.
Ah - I see - you can get to the other faders either via the PARAM menu at the top of the Faderbox GUI, or edit the Faderbox JSFX so F9-F32 are not hidden (remove the '-' signs before the names).

I only hid some faders because of the GUI restrictions with JSFXs that use the built in GUI - as they are not scrollable - and it meant some vital faders got lost off of the bottom...
Old 04-28-2021, 03:04 PM   #385
Skorobagatko

Quote:
Ah - I see - you can get to the other faders either via the PARAM menu at the top of the Faderbox GUI, or edit the Faderbox JSFX so F9-F32 are not hidden (remove the '-' signs before the names).

I only hid some faders because of the GUI restrictions with JSFXs that use the built in GUI - as they are not scrollable - and it meant some vital faders got lost off of the bottom...
Thank you! Waiting for SK2
Old 04-29-2021, 12:19 AM   #386
ejanejarr

Quote:
You can also combine SK2 with Stripper - so Stripper creates a virtual version of your controller - where you can use the controls - and make assignments (via the assignments window).
Bummer, my issue with SK is that I always have a hard time trying to visually match the vertically stacked faders with my knobs.

So I understand that I could use Stripper to create a strip for my plugins (same 5X8 knobs layout and different parameter labels for each plugin). Only thing is, the Stripper thread has just gone too big, I don't even know where to begin. I know a very gentle folk started some documentation for it, but it's all text by now. Oh well, I guess I'll have to make some coffe!
ejanejarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:11 AM   #387
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejanejarr View Post
Bummer, my issue with SK is that I always have a hard time trying to visually match the vertically stacked faders with my knobs.

So I understand that I could use Stripper to create a strip for my plugins (same 5X8 knobs layout and different parameter labels for each plugin). Only thing is, the Stripper thread has just gone too big, I don't even know where to begin. I know a very gentle folk started some documentation for it, but it's all text by now. Oh well, I guess I'll have to make some coffe!
Stripper can work in conjuction with SK2 to do this - but Stripper on its own will not provide a connection to your controller. Alongside SK2 - the labels on the controls will automatically mirror those assignments made in SK2 - so you don't need to manually create any labelling (which of course would not be much use due to the dynamic way assignments can change).

I'm pretty certain that SK2 will be available in the coming months...
Old 04-29-2021, 03:21 AM   #388
mozart999uk

Quote:

I'm pretty certain that SK2 will be available in the coming months...
Yesssssssss! 👍👍👍👍👍
Old 06-26-2021, 04:06 PM   #389
grandfougue

he is here wow impatient https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUJJAt5Xypk
Old 06-26-2021, 06:39 PM   #390
RJHollins

what is this X-Touch controller ?
RJHollins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:51 PM   #391
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
what is this X-Touch controller ?
Had some fun with the video

An X-Touch controller is Behringer's 8 channel motorized fader midi controller. SK2 is primarily designed with this in mind - but will also work with most other midi controllers once a control map is set up for it. And there will be a control map creator just for this task.
Old 06-28-2021, 02:02 AM   #392
mozart999uk

Wow lB0 - this looks amazing!!!!
Old 07-01-2021, 04:42 PM   #393
buschag

SK2 eta? Ballpark? Super pumped.
buschag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:04 AM   #394
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschag View Post
SK2 eta? Ballpark? Super pumped.
Hi buschag,

I'm not ignoring the question - just trying to come up with an accurate answer before I put an unreasonable timescale on and add extra pressure for everyone involved - and annoy those awaiting the release.

Rest assured - the system is working, and pretty much feature complete for the initial release. A couple of more advanced features are not quite working perfectly - which I will hopefully get sorted very soon, but they have no major impact on the main functionality - so shouldn't really affect any release date we can come up with.

The main thing still to do is some form of documentation - at least to initially cover the basics of getting set up and running...

For anyone wanting to kill 40 minutes or so - and get a little insight into SK2 and the guys behind it - we recently took part in a SonicState discussion about SK2 and Reaper scripting which has been published today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04I6ZPp3RoU

and we have a new website:

https://lbxtools.com/

Will confirm an ETA soon...
Old 07-05-2021, 09:28 AM   #395
RJHollins

Congrats on the new Site .... looking good !
RJHollins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 02:33 AM   #396
Amparitoo

Default knobs LBX

Patiently waiting for this new version, eager to make it work. Ibo, I saw the 40m of the video, and the new possibilities are fantastic congratulations those who make it possible. Do you have any news on when the release for the resurgence mortals will take place? Thank you for making our job easier
Amparitoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:01 AM   #397
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amparitoo View Post
Patiently waiting for this new version, eager to make it work. Ibo, I saw the 40m of the video, and the new possibilities are fantastic congratulations those who make it possible. Do you have any news on when the release for the resurgence mortals will take place? Thank you for making our job easier
There seems to be a new thread on it :-)

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ht=smart+knobs

:-)
Old 08-19-2021, 09:06 AM   #398
Amparitoo

Seriously ?? This is unforgivable, hahaha !! Thanks mozart999uk for the information. I didn’t say anything to not put more pressure, hahaha. I should have done it before
Amparitoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 03:13 PM   #399
grandfougue

Hello thank for Sk2 but Have you a tread post for this application plese ?
Old 03-13-2022, 03:43 PM   #400
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandfougue View Post
Hello thank for Sk2 but Have you a tread post for this application plese ?
Hi grandfougue,

Check post 2 posts above yours (397) for the link to the SK2 thread.