Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #1
Indirect
Human being with feelings

Default How to play on PREROLL and stop note off's on START & STOP?

So How to play on PREROLL and stop note off's on START & STOP? I've checked playback page in the preferences but it does nothing. I'm talking about VST not audio
Indirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:37 AM   #2
Indirect

Can anyone chime in?
Old 01-14-2018, 07:06 AM   #3
xpander

Could you elaborate on how exactly you want the preroll and start/stop to behave? Typing note-off to the Find box (bottom left) in Preferences, you may find some other options too.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:39 AM   #4
Indirect

I mean this behaviour:
I have tracks with vst loaded. I've recorded, say 8 or 16 bars. There was one mistake there. I draw time selection for needed measure and re-record particular area. I have pre-roll set to 2 bars. The idea of pre-roll: I play with what's recorded and when time comes I just keep playing over the bar I've made mistake in. Current reaper state is no sounds out of vsts (armed only as I can tell) until playhead hits the measure it supposed to record to. How can I hear myself in the actual pre-roll?

Also when I press play or stop (I cannot remember which), the sound I play at the moment gets cut off. I'm very into workflow of start/stop while laying down the parts.

I've looked through manual, but I just can't find the right paragraph probably, I'm not even sure what to find, but I'm 100% know what it does and it drives me crazy
Old 01-16-2018, 09:13 AM   #5
Indirect

-----tried some tips - didn't work----

Last edited by Indirect; 01-21-2018 at 01:39 AM. Reason: edit
Old 01-21-2018, 01:39 AM   #6
Indirect

still cannot figure out... anyone?
Old 01-21-2018, 06:38 AM   #7
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indirect View Post
Current reaper state is no sounds out of vsts (armed only as I can tell) until playhead hits the measure it supposed to record to. How can I hear myself in the actual pre-roll?
Took a while to get back, sorry. I never do pre-roll MIDI recordings and not much with audio either...but fwiw, it seems pre-roll monitoring doesn't work with MIDI in all cases.

It seems that monitoring starts from the point where the edit cursor is. So when you have the edit cursor at the beginning of the area you are going to record, pre-roll does move the playback start, but you won't hear your instrument until play cursor passes the edit cursor. There's an old bug report about it, but I haven't seen it reported fixed. Maybe somebody else knows about that?
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=96425

With audio, pre-roll monitoring works regardless of where the edit cursor is. So if and when that's true, you'd have to use other means to do the pre-roll with MIDI. Personally I just drop the cursor somewhere before the punch-in area and hit record.

You could also unlink loop points from the time selection and make the loop area bigger than the recording area (time selection). This way you will get time to prepare for each take separately while the loop is going. Kenny Gioia has a video about it, thanks to mykrobinson for the tip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Il...utu.be&t=5m54s
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:46 AM   #8
Indirect

Wow, this is not cool.