Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 09-20-2016, 02:17 AM   #1
lb0
Human being with feelings

Default LBX Chaos Engine - parameter morphing and sequencing

Hi all, this is my first script for Reaper.

It is built upon mpl's Randomize Track FX Parameters script - but leans more towards morphing between different parameter settings and sequencing between different parameter 'presets'.

You can automate and morph between multiple FX plugin settings at once.

Anyway - a really rubbish video is here: (I will try to make a better one soon but time has been limited thus far)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awc8...ature=youtu.be

The project repository is here:

https://github.com/L-B-X/LBXChaosEngine/tree/master

Hopefully I've done all this correctly - if you cannot get hold of the Lua code - let me know - I don't know if I need to create a 'release' on github to make it public or not.

I will react to any reported bugs/issues whenever I have time - I have done this for fun and my own use - but I think it could be pretty useful to others - especially those that like me - dislike drawing in automation in the automation lanes constantly.

I'm also very open to suggestions, improvements, and new ideas.

Please read the ReadMe on the github project site - this includes some important but straightforward info regarding where to put the file (you must have an LBX folder within you Reaper/Scripts folder.

Anyway - all feedback welcome. I should say this was developed on a windows PC running Reaper 5.23. It *may* also require that SWS extensions are installed (I cannot remember).
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:47 AM   #2
Sju

That's fucking amazing.
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:06 AM   #3
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sju View Post
That's fucking amazing.
Haha - just the sort of feedback I was hoping for...

I should add - I also have another script to enable the morph fader to be controlled by a midi controller. Just haven't got it with me - will upload it later...
Old 09-20-2016, 03:23 AM   #4
noise_construct

Just wow
noise_construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:47 AM   #5
X-Raym

spk77 made a script for FX preset morphing based on envelope,
Lua: Create envelope points from FX parameter values (morph between presets) - Cockos Confederated Forums

but your script is a real engine !!
That's really impressive for a first script, congrats !
congrats !!

Any plan to make it ReaPack friendly ?
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:52 AM   #6
Reaperto

Awesome!!! Many thanks for sharing.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:12 AM   #7
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
spk77 made a script for FX preset morphing based on envelope,
Lua: Create envelope points from FX parameter values (morph between presets) - Cockos Confederated Forums

but your script is a real engine !!
That's really impressive for a first script, congrats !
congrats !!

Any plan to make it ReaPack friendly ?
Yes - I saw spk77's one and probably took some inspiration from that too. The key thing I wanted to do was create something which could be saved along with the project - so settings recalled etc. I'm notorious for changing my mind - or not being ready to print my results - so I developed this in the guise of a plugin - where the state is recalled and can continually be worked on across work sessions.

I still have plans for further development - to make it somehow useful across projects (so favourite setups can be saved - and reused). Not sure at the moment how I will do this.

I have Reapack installed myself - and often read about making scripts Reapack friendly - but am not entirely sure of the criteria to do this - so if anyone has any info - I'll look into it.

One thing I should also mention is that this script stores a fair few parameters in the project file (depending on how many fx params you plan to automate with it). But these can easily be removed if things go awry... To ensure the current setup is stored with the project - ensure you either close the script window, or hit the save button before saving the project. I can't find a hook to tell me when the user is saving the project (so I can auto save the scripts settings first)
Old 09-20-2016, 08:03 AM   #8
musicbynumbers

Awesome! will try this when I get time but seems very cool! Nice job!
Old 09-20-2016, 08:38 AM   #9
lb0

Thanks to everyone who's taking a look at this. Would be good to get some feedback when you've had a chance to play with it. I hope it might be useful to some people.

There are quite a few features not yet documented in the readme file and aren't obvious in the interface - so please ask any questions.

I will try to release more info when I can.

First off - there is no undo within the script - if you change something (for instance - overwrite a slot with new parameter settings) - there's no going back (although if you don't save the project and have a saved version with the previous settings - then you can revert by reloading).

The Reset ALL button on the Settings menu - does just that - sets the utility back to it's default state - again - no undo.

Right-clicking on an FX plugin name (above the parameters list on the right) - when setting up a preset, will remove the FX plugin from the preset.

Left clicking the Preset X text within the 'led screen' will open all FX plugin GUIs for that preset.

The blue bar above the 'led screen' allows you to isolate which plugin (when more than one) the randomize and capture buttons affect.

Right-clicking the preset selector buttons should trigger the selected morph sequence for the preset.

The Stutter/Smooth slider is very primitive - it simply skips cycles of processing (sending parameter updates to the plugins) - but it works pretty effectively for what I wanted it to do. It also reduces CPU load the more stuttery you set it to.

Clicking on the step numbers in a sequence will change the number of steps of that sequence.

You can set the morph time for a step in the sequencer to shorter than the step length and the parameters will bounce between the start and end values before the step time reaches it's end and moves on. EDIT: The loop option (below the morph time bar) must be on - otherwise once the initial morph is complete it will sit and wait until the step reaches its end time.

The accuracy of the 1/32 settings and faster is fairly quirky - but can sound musical. To counter this - in a future update I'm hoping to be able to print a sequence directly to the track fx envelope lanes.

Long slow sweeps and morph times work really well.

I probably need to alter the step length values to allow for inbetween amounts - ie. it's not possible to select 3 1/4 notes, or 6 bars as a morph time for a single step.

The yellow button next to the SYNC button basically delays starting a morph or sequence until the next bar/beat is reached (when playing/recording). Set to off and all sequences/morphs start instantly (ish).

The Rec Automation button (when working) will arm necessary envelopes for recording (using the automation mode settings in the settings menu) - and start playback. At the moment this is disabled as it hasn't been updated to include multiple FX per preset.

You can drag the blue and red bars to set up the plugins parameters. I have noticed that sometimes these bars can grow too big - stuffing up the display a bit. I have yet to fix this but it doesn't do anything worse than that.

Some plugins I've tried (FilterStation from AudioDamage) tend to crash the DAW. I'm not sure why this is - whether they cannot handle the amount of automation data being thrown at them, or if the values are outside of their acceptable range - I don't know. But most plugins I've tried have worked without any problems.

In the video - there was an additional slider (I left it at 1) below the stutter slider. I've removed this for now as it created lots of very horrible and loud artifacts. It was simply supposed to be a global speed slider - but will have to think harder how to get it to work the way I had envisioned.

That's pretty much all I can think of for the moment... Hope it helps.

Thanks all again...

Last edited by lb0; 09-21-2016 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 09-20-2016, 12:37 PM   #10
cfillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
I have Reapack installed myself - and often read about making scripts Reapack friendly - but am not entirely sure of the criteria to do this - so if anyone has any info - I'll look into it.
If you remove the empty line 2, you're pretty much all set.
You have the choice to either make your own repository or upload to an existing one such as ReaTeam/ReaScripts, which is open to all working scripts (instructions – or just ask).

EDIT: The script location would be different (eg. Scripts/ReaTeam Scripts/FX/ instead of Scripts/LBX), but that would be constant on all installations performed using ReaPack.

Last edited by cfillion; 12-10-2016 at 12:20 AM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:46 PM   #11
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
If you remove the empty line 2, you're pretty much all set.
You have the choice to either make your own repository or upload to an existing one such as ReaTeam/ReaScripts, which is open to all working scripts (instructions – or just ask).

EDIT: The script location would be different (eg. Scripts/ReaTeam Scripts/FX/ instead of Scripts/LBX), but that would be constant on all installations performed using ReaPack.
Thanks cfillion - I'd done a little research and realised that the header I had from mpl was probably what i needed. I'd obviously edited it for my purpose and not completely followed the requirements - but shouldn't take much to sort it out. I can also change the location of created support files easily - so will look into getting this done for the next release.

Regarding the support files - I should explain that when you set up a plugin and choose the parameters - you can set these choices as defaults for when you select the same plugin again (click the small S button once parameters are chosen) - so you don't always have to select the parameters each time. Obviously you can choose to alter which parameters are selected at any time.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:34 AM   #12
lb0

Hi,

I've added the LBXCE_Input_Morph.lua script to allow midi control of the morph fader. Simply load the script into Reaper, and assign a midi controller to it. Run the Chaos Engine script and it should all just work.

I have made the script use a 'soft' takeover algorithm with regard to this - but it's very primitive - and just waits until the controller gets within a certain range of the current value. It's not perfect and probably something I will improve in an update.

Finally for now - I have uploaded a new version of the main script as I found an error on the parameter selection list - where if there were no fx yet loaded - clicking where the up/down scroll areas are would cause a nil value fault. This is fixed now.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:16 PM   #13
swiiscompos

I tried this script only because it looks cool on the video and I must say it is amazing!

I got this error twice: "...lication Support/REAPER/Scripts/LBX/LBX Chaos Engine.lua:3752: attempt to get length of a nil value (field 'param_actidx')"

Both time I hadn't an FX or had deleted it. Not sure exactly about the steps to reproduce it.
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:19 AM   #14
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiiscompos View Post
I tried this script only because it looks cool on the video and I must say it is amazing!

I got this error twice: "...lication Support/REAPER/Scripts/LBX/LBX Chaos Engine.lua:3752: attempt to get length of a nil value (field 'param_actidx')"

Both time I hadn't an FX or had deleted it. Not sure exactly about the steps to reproduce it.
Ok - thanks - having the line number is very useful and will have a look when I get time. nil value faults are quite easy to sort (normally !!)
Old 10-05-2016, 05:44 AM   #15
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiiscompos View Post

Hi swiiscompos,

thanks again for finding the error!

have uploaded a new version to github. Hopefully this addresses the issue - although I might have fixed a different one as the line numbers in my latest version didn't marry up as there's extra code in there.

Anyway - I was able to get a nil value error if I removed a plugin that is used in Chaos Engine - then press the capture button (which resets all values to zero as there's nothing to capture) - and then tried to drag one of the parameter sliders. The error line number was close enough to yours that I think this was it.

The fix is quick - and just prevents the error occuring - where it really needs to tidy up the link to the plugin (ie. remove it) - but for the moment you can remove it by going into setup and right-clicking the offending plugins name.

I cannot guarantee that this version is compatible with the old version - (as I might have made changes to the saved data). Let me know if you have any problems with this version on any old projects (if you need to open it in one). I think I've worked out a better way (when working on the Stripper script) to solve loading and saving problems when I add new data to the project.

This version also includes a Print function which prints a sequence directly to the envelope lanes. I am aware of a problem that if this has been done and you try to use a midi controller to adjust the morph fader - it seems to lock up the system and the DAW will crash :/ am yet to solve this one - so perhaps avoid printing the envelopes if you like to use the morph fader with a midi controller.

Please let me know if you happen across any other bugs.

Cheers,
Leon.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:24 AM   #16
digitalfix

digitalfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:39 PM   #17
timbralzoom

amazing!

just for the record i get this error:
.....\Scripts\LBX\LBX Chaos Engine: unexpected symbol near '<'
but
opening Raw page & copying all to a txt and changing txt extension to lua fixed.

Thank you so much!
timbralzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:39 PM   #18
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbralzoom View Post
amazing!

just for the record i get this error:
.....\Scripts\LBX\LBX Chaos Engine: unexpected symbol near '<'
but
opening Raw page & copying all to a txt and changing txt extension to lua fixed.

Thank you so much!
Thanks. Not sure about the error. What system are you running on? When does the error occur (on opening the script? or whilst using it?) and does it give a line number?

I'll look into it when I have a moment!
Thanks.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:48 PM   #19
timbralzoom

its W7 x64 ultimate Reaper x64 latest beta,
(also was downloaded using Chrome if it make sense)

loading was fine but i get this message pressing to Run.

Thank you again.

ps.
i hope you have an alternative way to paypal...
donation ready especially for the Channel Strip!
Old 10-07-2016, 05:02 PM   #20
lb0

Quote:
its W7 x64 ultimate Reaper x64 latest beta,
(also was downloaded using Chrome if it make sense)

loading was fine but i get this message pressing to Run.

Thank you again.

ps.
i hope you have an alternative way to paypal...
donation ready especially for the Channel Strip!
Hey - that's cool thanks. At the moment I don't have any donation system set up. I might consider it in the future.

You're running similar system to me - so it's probably not that. I haven't tried downloading from GitHub yet - will see if an error has crept in there.

If I understand correctly - you've got it working ok though yes?

Not long I hope for Channel Strip. I have so many things I want to add - but also want to get it out there and get some feedback - so am carefully considering what to leave for a (not too distant) future update. But - family etc means I'll have to have a short break from this soon - it's pretty hard juggling family life, a full time job and coding in all my spare time lol. Sleep is definitely for wimps
Old 10-07-2016, 05:46 PM   #21
timbralzoom

nothing urgent & family first !

thank you, yes its working!
tomorrow ill watch demonstration video probably couple of times again
and continue to mess with it...

Best Wishes,
Yıldırım.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:41 AM   #22
Reflected

Yo lb0!
this looks great but I get the same error as "timbralzoom" when I tun the script

"...\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Scripts\LBX\LBX Chaos Engine.lua:5: unexpected symbol near '<'"

EDIT: Fixed..., just copy and paste the source code from github and it will work.

Last edited by Reflected; 10-11-2016 at 01:50 AM.
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:04 AM   #23
Reflected

when clicking get focus I get this error:
...\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Scripts\LBX\LBX Chaos Engine.lua:1592: bad argument #1 to 'upper' (string expected, got nil)
Old 10-11-2016, 02:23 AM   #24
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
when clicking get focus I get this error:
...\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Scripts\LBX\LBX Chaos Engine.lua:1592: bad argument #1 to 'upper' (string expected, got nil)
Ok - apologies for that. Regarding the error when opening (unexpected symbol) - I don't get this problem. I have downloaded the file from github myself and run it - and it works ok for me. Hopefully just re-uploading the file might help. I have deleted most of the header - which covers line 5 - so maybe it will be gone now??

Anyway - the other error could be depending on which FX plugin you have focused. Could you let me know which plugin you had focused caused the error. I'm just interested as to the exact name of the plugin (which is what caused the error - my pattern matching string to crop the plugin name didn't parse the plugin name properly)

Anyway - I have updated the code so it hopefully will now cope with that error. If the pattern match fails - it should just return the entire plugin name (which can be a bit long for the area I display it in - but it will still work ok).

Can you let me know if this version has either of the errors - I'm not sure the first one will be fixed - but maybe...
Old 10-11-2016, 04:08 AM   #25
Reflected

the first one still there..

second error fixed! Thanks!

I have an idea, let me know if this is possible form ur side.

how about XY controller to morph between the A B C....(8 presets), instead of just 2.

and also, selecting parameters withing all vsts and not just from one could be super!
Old 10-11-2016, 04:29 AM   #26
lb0

Quote:
the first one still there..

second error fixed! Thanks!

I have an idea, let me know if this is possible form ur side.

how about XY controller to morph between the A B C....(8 presets), instead of just 2.

and also, selecting parameters withing all vsts and not just from one could be super!
Ok - not sure how to solve the first error then - as I don't see it. Does it still report line 5?

Anyway - yes I guess I could average the values over 4 selected slots (rather than the two) - not quite sure how hard this would hit the CPU as the calculations and data fetching would be somewhat more involved - but it's entirely possible - and should work ok. I forget how much CPU the current morph fader uses.

Regarding your second request - it should already allow you to import from many fx plugins into the same preset. Just open a VST - click Get Focused button. Select parameters. Then open a second VST - press Get Focused again - then select this plugin from the top list on the right hand side - select parameters. You should be able to morph between parameters from as many VSTs as you like. If this is not what you mean - can you please elaborate. If it's not working - please let me know.

Thanks again
Old 10-11-2016, 04:56 AM   #27
Reflected

4 slots will be awesome! can you do that?

selecting parameters for different vsts work good! cool
Old 10-11-2016, 05:04 AM   #28
lb0

Quote:
4 slots will be awesome! can you do that?

selecting parameters for different vsts work good! cool
I'll try adding XY morphing when I've finished the first beta release of LBX Stripper. If it works acceptably - then I'll release it.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:49 AM   #29
Reflected

Quote:
I'll try adding XY morphing when I've finished the first beta release of LBX Stripper. If it works acceptably - then I'll release it.
Can't wait!

btw i was trying to press save, but it didn't do anything.

is it possible to save a preset withing an template/fx chain?
(in order to load it in other projects..)
Old 10-11-2016, 06:04 AM   #30
timbralzoom

XY pad!
sounds like we are almost the corner of the Metasurface street
Old 10-11-2016, 08:03 AM   #31
lb0

Quote:
Can't wait!

It does - it just doesn't show anything. What the save button does is save the current state to the project. If you don't do this - the settings won't be saved with the project when you save the project. It will also save whenever you open/close the settings window - and also if you close the script window.

I can't find a way to get the script to save its state automatically before it saves the project - I'd need some sort of callback from Reaper to say it's about to save the project (but obviously before it saves). So if you're not sure - either make sure you close the script window before saving the project (or more conveniently - just press that save button).

It's not good saving each time you tweak something - as it might glitch the project if you're running any sequences (there's a lot of data to store). Maybe I can get it to save every now and again if the script is 'idle'.

So if you want to ensure the script state is stored with the project - so when you reload it's as you left it - press the save button or close the script window.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:12 AM   #32
lb0

Quote:
Can't wait!

To answer your second question - I have thought about it - but because you can morph vsts from multiple tracks within the same preset - I'm not sure how it would recall all the vsts etc properly. Would it create all the different tracks for you and place the plugins on the relevant tracks? But then those tracks may not make sense in a new project. I guess it would make more sense if all the effects were in the same track.

You can already use the little L/S buttons to load and save default chosen parameters for a single effect. Load a plugin - select the parameters you want to use - then hit the S button. If you then use the same effect in another project - the chosen parameters can be recalled. The parameter slot values are not saved or transferable at the moment though.

I'll have a think about any way of saving and recalling presets between projects. Maybe a single plugins parameters can be saved to be recalled into slots in the future.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:04 AM   #33
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veto View Post
Wow great work!!
Thank you so much for sharing, I think I'm going to use your script on almost all future stuff.

A small bug I encountered at a corner-case:
When opening a new project, while Chaos Engine is open I get

which resolves to this part of the code on my machine:
PHP Code:
3868  Disp_FXName CropFXName(preset[last_M][fxi].fx_name)
3869  Disp_ParamName preset[last_M][fxi].params[preset[last_M][fxi].param_actidx[sub]].param_name
3870  _
Disp_ParamV reaper.TrackFX_GetFormattedParamValue(trackpreset[last_M][fxi].fxnumberOutpreset[last_M][fxi].param_actidx[sub] -1"")
3871  update_disp true
3872  PN_lastover 

thanks again
V
Hi Veto - thanks for the report. Glad you like it!!

At the moment the script doesn't cope with changing project or tabs whilst open. I have this sorted in the current script I'm working on (LBX Stripper) - so will get it sorted in Chaos Engine when I next get to work on it.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:47 AM   #34
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veto View Post
Another minor thing, no pressure involved, just that you have it reported here on the thread, is remembering the docker position at init if Chaos Engine was docked at last exit.

And a silly heads-up because I'm sure you know and maybe doing that already
Hi Veto,

In the settings menu there is an option to store the docked state - BUT - it doesn't remember dock position (just docks it on a full size tab). I've got this sorted in Stripper - so will update it for Chaos Engine soonish)
Old 12-09-2016, 03:03 PM   #35
Reflected

Quote:

still hope for this!

This tool can be so awesome!
it's a crime not to finish it.

please if you have the abilities, make something like audiomulch's metasurface.
here is a video showing the basics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2ox16chbnY
Old 12-09-2016, 03:56 PM   #36
lb0

Quote:
still hope for this!

not forgotten - but I can't say when I'll get back to it. almost certainly not until the new year. The stripper has taken over my life at the moment - and it's hard to support both at once. I've made xy pads in stripper so I kow what needs to be done for the 4 way morphing
Old 12-09-2016, 04:36 PM   #37
timbralzoom

Quote:
still hope for this!

not the complete Metadurface but
in STRIPPER we have something like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6tHs3BYKxY
Old 12-09-2016, 11:57 PM   #38
Reflected

Quote:
not the complete Metadurface but