Old 01-09-2018, 02:44 AM   #1
ijijn
Human being with feelings

Default Batch rendering and transport in 5.71

Hi there,

With the recent rendering changes I've been wondering about a few things. In particular, I'm interested in batch renders via the matrix, as this is where I have been having issues with my VST plugins.

The basic goal is to reset my plugins' state (reset timers, clear queues, etc.) between each render job but exactly where to do this remains a mystery to me.

In ye olde 5.70 it seems that calls to set sample rate and block size used to happen much more often and at suitable times for this resetting purpose, so that's what I did. I know this isn't a reliable solution, I'm fine with the pruning, and I've adapted my code to avoid anything sneaky here. Nevertheless, this was formerly a convenient trigger point for a reset and the memorial service will be held at 8/7c tomorrow.

Currently I'm using transport start/stop detection. This is fine for general playback but during batched renders I'm not getting any transport state changes except at the very beginning and end: it acts like one big long play. I've tried online renders and the various offline modes, among other settings, always with the same result.

To get around all this I'm checking the reported timing between blocks and resetting whenever there is a discrepancy. It "works" but feels bad man.

Would it be possible for the batch rendering, especially in online mode, to force the transport to stop/start every time so that plugins can respond appropriately, or is there perhaps another good approach out there?

Thanks!
ijijn is offline   Reply With Quote