Old 02-08-2018, 08:50 PM   #1
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Default Trigger a fade on receive, send or track from action?

Is there any way to trigger a fade in or out on a selected track fader or send or receive fader from an action?
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #2
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

You mean apart from adding the automation? Kinda doubt it, but SWS Command Parameters have some configurable fade times, but I've not tried to use them for anything. I think it just applies to items. Surely it's scriptable though.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:48 PM   #3
Time Waster

It may be possible to do this using some ReaRack modules, that is, the envelope generator and the amplifier, with a bit of modification to the envelope generator. I would need to add a 'latch' mode to the envelope generator, so that you could trigger the envelope generator by sending a note message, but ignore the note-off. Then sending the same note message a second time, the note-on would be converted to a note off.

You would set up the envelope generator attack and release times for the fade in/fade out and set the sustain level to maximum. If you wanted to trigger using a midi CC, you could add the ReaRack Trigger module before the envelope generator to convert a CC message into a note message.

Last edited by Time Waster; 02-14-2018 at 03:33 AM.
Time Waster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:23 PM   #4
mschnell

A dedicated JSFX for this would be easy to do. (See the other thread -> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=202857&page=2).

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:34 AM   #5
Time Waster

I have now added a "latch" trigger mode to the envelope generator, in case you want to try out the above suggestion.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:06 AM   #6
pipelineaudio
Mortal

So that would be for modding an automation envelope?
Old 02-15-2018, 06:33 PM   #7
Time Waster

No. The idea would be to use the ReaRack modules to control the track volume and fade in/fade out rate. You would need the following chain of ReaRack modules:

Note Filter (optional)
Envelope Generator (with trigger mode set to 'latch')
CC mixer (optional)
Amplifier

The envelope generator attack and release rates (and curves if required) would be set to control the fade/fade out rates, and set the sustain level to 1 (maximum).

To use the system, press any key (or otherwise send a note-on message) to trigger the envelope generator and start the fade in. To fade out, send the same note-on message again. If you wanted to start with a fade out rather than a fade in, you could add a CC Mixer module between the envelope generator and the amplifier module and set it to invert the control signal.

The note filter could be useful if you want to nominate a particular key to trigger the fade. Set the note filter to only pass that particular note value.

For cross fading, you could set up a copy of the FX chain on each track you want to cross fade. You would use the CC Mixer to invert one track fade, but not the other, and if you had multiple pairs of track you wanted to cross fade at different time, you can use the note filter to set that up with different notes triggering each par of tracks. If you wanted to trigger using CC rather than a note on, you can add a Trigger module before the envelope generator to convert the CC to a note-on message.

None of this helps with muting the track though.

All of this with the proviso that I don't really know what you are trying to do.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:36 PM   #8
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I think we're set with this now. We got one script and one plugin, they can both do it, now I think its fine tuning time