Old 04-05-2020, 08:32 AM   #1
robgb
Human being with feelings

Default Reacomp crashing Reaper

On my Mac (Mojave), in my default template I have a Reverb send track with Reacomp on it to duck the reverb. Reacomp is set to receive on Aux Input L+R.

Unfortunately, since upgrading to 6.06 and now 6.08, Reaper crashes on startup and takes several attempts to get it to open without crashing. It opens fine in recovery mode. The Apple report points to Reacomp.vst.dylib as the culprit.

So I removed Reacomp from the default template and Reaper starts fine. I tried adding it again to the template and Reaper is crashing on startup again.

Now, I can always add Reacomp after the fact, but I'd rather not do that. Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? Is there a way to reinstall the reacomp vst, assuming it has somehow become corrupted?

Any help would be appreciated.
robgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:36 AM   #2
LugNut

Hi,
I noticed you said reacomp vst? You don't need that w reaper. If you have installed the reacomp vst ,uninstall.
As to that project, just use the native reacomp that comes w reaper. The vst versions of reapers native effects are for use in daws other than reaper.
LugNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:40 AM   #3
robgb

Thanks. Let me check and see if I have duplicates. I thought this was the reacomp that came with Reaper, but I may have downloaded the vst to use in another application at some point.

Thanks.

UPDATE: No. I don't see the vst anywhere on my system and the only Reacomp I'm showing in the FX browser is the Cockos version. ??

Last edited by robgb; 04-05-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:05 AM   #4
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgb View Post
Now, I can always add Reacomp after the fact, but I'd rather not do that. Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? Is there a way to reinstall the reacomp vst, assuming it has somehow become corrupted?
Can you actually insert ReaComp separately right now, or is it missing altogether? Old topic about missing ReaTune, but maybe still some insight into this, starting from post #11.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=81280

If you have missing numbers for a plugin in the vst-plugins.ini, deleting vst-plugins.ini might help. Backing up the resources first is recommended.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:02 PM   #5
robgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Can you actually insert ReaComp separately right now, or is it missing altogether? Old topic about missing ReaTune, but maybe still some insight into this, starting from post #11.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=81280

If you have missing numbers for a plugin in the vst-plugins.ini, deleting vst-plugins.ini might help. Backing up the resources first is recommended.
I'm able to insert it separately. Oddly enough, I set the Reaper startup to PROMPT, opened the template that way a few times successfully, then set it back to open the default template and it seems to be working okay now. I'll see what happens in the next couple days and report back if anything changes.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:27 AM   #6
robgb

Well... it's back to crashing again. Same cause reported.