Old 05-10-2012, 05:16 AM   #1
xBOBxSAGETx
Human being with feelings

Default SM7B amazing for Hip Hop/Rap Vocals

Alright well I'm more of a metal/hardcore engineer BUT I have a strong passion for hip hop. I bought the SM7B because it's known to be great for metal vocalist. Singing or screaming. Well when it comes to hip hop it doesn't change. I can't ask for better results. I am in a completely untreated room. The reason I'm posting this is because I tried to do some research on the SM7B for rap vocals and couldn't find any solid info WITH audio!! Well here it is!!

The SM7B should be considered the Swiss Army Knife of vocal mics. Couldn't be happier with the results.

EDIT: my interface is a RME Fireface 400!!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9875484/Sell...ul%20FINAL.mp3
xBOBxSAGETx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
Nip

They are very nice for any vocals as I see it.

Only disadvantage is that it needs preamp with 60dB gain. Had to pass on one particular preamp due to that.

Since it's not rated by Shure to be large membrane many underestimate it. Membrane is up around an inch still - and it's really nice.

And I saw an interview at Pensado's Place recently - Damon Elliot that use it for vocals. He said he actually got Michael Jacksons mike!!!!(0:35:00 into the video). He even claimed MJ used for all vocals.
http://pensadosplace.tv/

So we are not alone.

All thumbs up!

Last edited by Nip; 05-10-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Nip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
xBOBxSAGETx

Yeah man there was actually 55db of gain used on this hip hop track. I could have went up to 60db but 55db was the perfect medium!! I love this mic more and more everyday! Thanks for the response!
Old 05-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
xBOBxSAGETx

I don't even call my SM7B a SM7B I call it the Micheal Jackson mic hahaha
Old 05-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
hotjams

Default I have been watching vids on this mic....it soves a ton of issues

For me...I'm picking one up this weekend. If it works like I think...my other mics will be on eBay.
hotjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:31 AM   #6
TimOBrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nip View Post
Only disadvantage is that it needs preamp with 60dB gain. Had to pass on one particular preamp due to that.

A Triton Audio Fethead or Cloudmicrophones Cloudlifter will give a 20db clean 'boost' to any preamp and are an economical alternative to buying an expensive high-gain preamp for dynamic or ribbon mics.....
Old 05-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
Nip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOBrien View Post
A Triton Audio Fethead or Cloudmicrophones Cloudlifter will give a 20db clean 'boost' to any preamp and are an economical alternative to buying an expensive high-gain preamp for dynamic or ribbon mics.....
Thanks for the tip. I was looking for a kind of transformer but my local musicstore said there isn't any.

Is your suggestions a passive transformer or some active electronics that does not alter tone?

I liked Focusrite OctaPre but returned it due to to low level. And got a Focusrite Twintrak Pro channelstrip instead, which is excellent too - and within my budget. SM7B works just fine with this one.

I will google your suggestions and thanks again.
Nip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
ChuckaChucka

I remember a few ago, a guy gave me a mixtape on Oxford St in London. He told me everything was produced and recorded in his room.

Sounded amazing for a home studio project.

I was on Oxford St the week after and he was still giving away this mixtape and I asked him what mic he used. I expected something like the AT4040 or a NT1A - surprisingly no, it was the SM7B. I know if I ever track a rapper, I will purchase one of these.
ChuckaChucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
xBOBxSAGETx

I have a Cloudlifter for sale. If you want it, I'll sell it to you. I bought it and never used it.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
ObiK

The SM7 is a great mic for all types of spoken word and loud audio sources. Another low price mic for this application would be the SM 57.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:24 AM   #11
naturalbridge

I've been thinking about buying an SM7B for the longest time. At the moment however, my preamp is an Apogee One (yes, laugh at me) and I'm not sure the two would play nicely together.

I also sometimes sing in a very quiet almost speak-singing baritone voice (think Leonard Cohen, David Berman, the guy from the National, Bill Callahan) that I'm not sure would be a good match with the SM7B.
naturalbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #12
ramses

Yeah, we all dig the sm7b. Works really well on many voices and on other (louder) stuff as well. You have to keep still though - no dancing about allowed on the sm7b. And please remove all included pop-filters. Also rarely engage the mid-boost (hi-pass optional).
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #13
ObiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalbridge View Post
I've been thinking about buying an SM7B for the longest time. At the moment however, my preamp is an Apogee One (yes, laugh at me) and I'm not sure the two would play nicely together.

I also sometimes sing in a very quiet almost speak-singing baritone voice (think Leonard Cohen, David Berman, the guy from the National, Bill Callahan) that I'm not sure would be a good match with the SM7B.
No need to laugh at an Apogee, that's a solid interface! I'd stick with a condenser mic for your quiet voice until you can afford a better mic pre because the SM7 needs a lot of gain.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:52 AM   #14
Steve Folta

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalbridge View Post

It so happens I have both an SM7B and an Apogee One. Keep in mind that you've got all the gain you could ever want in the digital realm, so the real issue is noise floor. A quick test: http://somefancy.com/steve/SM7B-One.wav. That should give you some idea of whether there's too much noise for your purposes. Remember that if you compress the track, it'll probably bring the noise up.
Steve Folta is offline   Reply With Quote