Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 06-09-2021, 10:10 AM   #1
tfmc
Human being with feelings

Default ezdrummer 2 and reaper separate audio tracks

Ok guys,
I need a little help.
I am trying to record ezdrummer2 in reaper.
I already have the template for the 32 outputs in reaper and I can record the midi that comes from ezd2 in reaper.
But, What I am trying to do is
have ezd2 as my sound output into Reaper and have Reaper record the output of the ezd2
kit I am using to separate tracks as audio files as I don't need the midi.
That way I can use the individual drum samples on the tracks for other songs if needed.
Does that make sense?
If not let me know and I will try and clarify it better.
basically, I want to record ezd2 to separate tracks as audio rather than midi.
Thanx.
tfmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:39 AM   #2
Juan D'Fall

Location: On the Eastern edge of London (UK), almost on the Essex border.

As far as I know, this can't be done. When you do this, EZDrummer separates all the midi and puts it on a separate track for each drum. It then feeds the midi output of all these tracks back into the main track with the EZDrummer vst on it. As there is only one of these, you can only get the audio out, ready mixed, on one track. I can only think of two ways round this. Solo each track and render (or record) one at a time onto separate tracks, or split the midi into individual drums by hand, then each one on separate tracks, each with their own instance of EZDrummer. I'm not sure how well the computer would handle that many instances of the vst. If anyone else has an easy way to make this work, I would be very interested to hear.
Jim
Juan D'Fall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:21 PM   #3
Juan D'Fall

I've just had a play with it. Thinking about it, it must be audio in those individual tracks, but it still all goes back to main track with the vst on it. I tried to add another send to get it on another track, but as soon as you mute the main track, it all stops. So as it stands, I still think it can't be done.
Jim
Old 06-10-2021, 12:46 PM   #4
Juan D'Fall

Sorry for all the messing about, but I've only gone and done it! Do what you normally do, set up all your drums to separate outputs in EZDrummer mixer. In Reaper, go to each of your tracks (EZ1, EZ2, etc.), right click on the record arm button and choose 'record output stereo' or choose mono if you wish, then hit the transport record button. At some stage, you get an odd message about recording multiple things the same, just click ok. When you have finished, you should be able to mute the main track and playback all the other tracks individually. Some of them, especially hi hat, will be extremely quiet and look like there's nothing there, you'll just have to turn it up a lot, or add some extra gain. Just experiment a bit.
Jim
Old 06-10-2021, 02:35 PM   #5
tfmc

Thanx, I'll give it a try.
tfmc is offline   Reply With Quote