Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-22-2017, 07:08 PM   #1
SonicAxiom
Human being with feelings

Default how to map entire mod wheel cc range to a more restricted range? [SOLVED]

I'm converting mod wheel data into CC7 on the fly in the input fx section while playing/recording vsti strings to alter their volume dynamically and give them a more realistic feel. Is there a way to scale the mod wheel's entire value range of 1-127 to something like 15-127 so that the converted volume (CC7) will never drop under 15? I'd like to be able to pull the mod wheel all the way down with the strings still playing very softly.

I assume that I can use parameter modulation (how exactly?) but I think a plugin is easier to use.

Last edited by SonicAxiom; 12-23-2017 at 10:53 AM.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:46 AM   #2
SonicAxiom

I hope this is not impossible to do.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:50 AM   #3
preferred.nomenclature

JS MIDI CC mapper, my friend!
preferred.nomenclature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:56 AM   #4
o_e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
I hope this is not impossible to do.
JS/Midi CC Mapper?

hth

too late..
o_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:59 AM   #5
lachrimae

If you don't want the bottom range of your modwheel to be unused, you'll need a converter that stretches the values across the entire range, like InsertPiz's midiConverter3:

Like this:

vs

Last edited by lachrimae; 12-23-2017 at 07:10 AM.
lachrimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:14 AM   #6
SonicAxiom

thanks a lot everybody! In fact, I'm already using "JS: MIDI CC Mapper" to map mod wheel to volume. Compressing/stretching the entire value range into a smaller rande is the main issue.

I've also tried midiConverter3 before but with no effect probably due to wrong settings. After lachrimae pointed me to it again and showed the plugin at work I've tried it again and found out that it works for sforzando playing a violin section library but not for Orchestral Companion which is the one I'd like to use. While I can play the sforzando library bringing the mod wheel completely down and still having a basic volume persisiting I can see that Orchestral Companion's volume knob doesn't stop at the low value I've set in midiConverter3 but still continues to attenuate the volume until complete silence. midiMonitor plugin actually shows that the values do not go beneath 50 yet the volume knob goes completely down.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:18 AM   #7
preferred.nomenclature

Hmm, something’s fishy, a vst effect will do what it was programmed to do regardless of what comes next in the chain. What is the exact chain of effects you’re testing with in both cases?
preferred.nomenclature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:52 AM   #8
SonicAxiom

ok, folks, I figured it out. I had the mod wheel tied to Orchestral Companion's volume knob via midi learn which overruled the incoming midi data. I removed MIDI learn and it's now working as expected just using midiConverter3 alone doing the cc conversion and the range restriction at the same time. No need for "JS: MIDI CC Mapper" any more in this case.

Thanks a bunch and Merry Christmas everybody!