Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-19-2017, 03:37 PM   #1
Doc Brown
Human being with feelings

Default Error Installing Previous Version (5.40) **drop outs/crackling

Hey All

I've been using the new version and I've been getting intermittent dropouts and severe crackling and am trying to figure out why. I installed a couple of new plugins lately but I took them out of the project and am still getting crackling and dropouts.

I decided to install the previous version to see if it's a conflict with the new build or something on my end. I downloaded and tried to install it and got an odd error message I'd never seen before.***see pic***

I tried it several times and it failed every time. I'm not sure why I can't download the previous version at this point. I tried a fresh download (5.40) just to make sure and the same results.

Attached Images
File Type: png Error.PNG (57.6 KB, 293 views)
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:46 PM   #2
ivansc

Clean version of 5.4 is available under "download old versions" at the bottom of the current download page - see the top of THIS page under Downloads.

Might be worth doing a full uninstall of 5.5 first, or indeeed doing a protable install of 5.4 to see which works best.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #3
cfillion

reaper.exe might still be running in the background. Check in Task Manager or reboot.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:43 PM   #4
Doc Brown

Thanks Ivan and cfillion. I'll try again after some supper.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #5
Doc Brown

Well, the old version didn't solve the issue. Oh boy. Now I am having issues opening projects that opened a million times in the past. I am getting this error message that I've never seen before. The dll's are in the same spot as they always have been but for some reason they are not available to Reaper...I have some issues. I bought and installed XLN audio's Retrocolor and a midi editor for my Arturia controller (from Arturia). I uninstalled those also and then I ran into plugins not loading. Sheesh.

Attached Images
File Type: png Capture3.PNG (26.1 KB, 236 views)
Old 09-19-2017, 07:00 PM   #6
Doc Brown

This all could be a coincidence and I have something else going on but I guess worse case scenario is I do a system restore from before some recent downloads. My system drive and samples drive are both Samsung Evo ssd's and they have been flawless. I'm pretty sure it's not the drive.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:16 PM   #7
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
My system drive and samples drive are both Samsung Evo ssd's and they have been flawless. I'm pretty sure it's not the drive.
Not saying that this couldn't or wouldn't be something else, but surely check out the following topic if your EVOs are some older series from few years back: Samsung EVO SSD Debacle
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=154627
xpander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:29 PM   #8
Doc Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Not saying that this couldn't or wouldn't be something else, but surely check out the following topic if your EVOs are some older series from few years back: Samsung EVO SSD Debacle
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=154627

My D drive is new and my older C drive is two years old. I think it's an 850 though. I'm going to check. Thanks.

**They are both 850's and I ran the Samsung magician software and did a performance boost and they are fine.

Last edited by Doc Brown; 09-19-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:23 AM   #9
ivansc

Doc: did you try the portable version and see if it ran without loading one of your existing projects?

Also, mnight be worth running resplendence.com`s latency checker to see if any of the MS windows updates have cause a conflict.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:40 AM   #10
Doc Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Doc: did you try the portable version and see if it ran without loading one of your existing projects?

Also, mnight be worth running resplendence.com`s latency checker to see if any of the MS windows updates have cause a conflict.

Ivan, I didn't try the portable version yet. I did download and run dpc latency checker last night and the system should be good to go according to the results.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:00 AM   #11
ivansc

Hm. Sounds like something happened in your reaper.ini file. Hope the portable works! at least you will have somewhere to start from if it does.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:16 AM   #12
Doc Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Hm. Sounds like something happened in your reaper.ini file. Hope the portable works! at least you will have somewhere to start from if it does.
Thanks Ivan

I'll plug away again when I get home from the grind.