Old 10-15-2021, 05:57 PM   #1
dsealer
Human being with feelings

Default Preamp recommendations

I'm considering a new preamp. I have a 20÷ year old art pro that seems to be showing its age. I have what appears to be noise showing on the channel 2 side when nothing is plugged in. So I'm thinking of a new tube pre. Any recommendations? Not opposed to a channel strip either.
Thanks,
Old 10-15-2021, 06:16 PM   #2
Wallaby

Default Plugin

You must plugin a microphone or a dummy adapter to get a clear result if the micpre channel is faulty or noisy.
Without anything connected a noise is normal when open the gain.
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:52 PM   #3
dsealer

Technically you may be right but I know this amp, I've used it for over 20 years. It has never displayed like this.
But I do thank for your interest.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:03 PM   #4
karbomusic

20 years old? Did you try changing the tubes? That's a common symptom with a bad tube.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:15 PM   #5
dsealer

I haven't. Makes good sense, but I'm "all thumbs" with things like this. Usually when I try to do something that others do easily. I end up making things worse. This is a 2 channel preamp with 2 vu meters. The light in the #2 channel burned out some months ago. The pessimist in me has been using it without the light. Now I'm seeing a signal and nothing is plugged in. This is completely opposite of how it has performed over the past 20 years. But thanks for the advice, maybe I'll venture the job. If I screw it up it will give me justification to buy a new one.
I would be interested in your recommendation on a new tube preamp. I'm a fan of your work and knowledge..
Thanks,
Old 10-15-2021, 10:46 PM   #6
karbomusic

I'm not sure I've auditioned enough tube preamps to be super helpful. I have a UA 4-710D so it's little brother the 710 Twinfinity is a good candidate depending on the budget. It has both solid state and tube which are also blendable. But it's only one channel.

Tube preamps, especially dual channel, there are a handful in the lower range, which are all probably not that much better than each other, then the price suddenly jumps to expensive. So you might see what's out there then check out YT reviews etc. to see if you find a good match for you.

They still sell the ART Pro II FYI. You can also find YT videos on swapping the tubes. So yea, that's worth a try first.
Old 10-16-2021, 02:40 PM   #7
ggrey

Not sure of your budget, but check into picking up a SSL SiX. Two Superanalogue mic/line/inst inputs with EQ and one knob compression and about a hundred other wonderful functions. No tubes, but top of the line SSL sound.
ggrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 03:44 PM   #8
grinder

I have three Pre Amps
A Groovetubes Vipre
A HHB Classic 60
And a Focusrite ISA220 solid state
All are different and all do certain things and sound very well.

I have had the HHB almost forever.
The Focusrite about from when they came out. (This is hard to start was when I got it) I have not heard a complaint the same as my, hard to start.
I purchased my Groove Tubes Vipre before they folded and have had that many years.
From memory this has 8 valves I took it to a Tech of mine last year he had
never dealt with a Vipre he said he could not believe the sound.
Any way I digress.
Have you thought of a UAD Solo 610?
While I can not say anything good about their support on PCIE cards the UAD Solo 610 has a great record.
That's all I have to say really.
Of the Focusrite ISA220 Although it is solid state it is remarkable for
DI BASS and for vocals if the sound fits.
Between the three Preamps a couple have comps and one the ISA has various eq options and comp.

By the way U2 I think used the HHB, My HHb has never been in for repair neither has the Focusrite and the Vipre just needed it's pots cleaned.
If I was buying a new pre-amp the UAD SOLO 610 is what I would at least try!

Grinder

https://soundcloud.com/steve-maitlan...ed-necked-town

Last edited by grinder; 10-16-2021 at 03:47 PM. Reason: spelling plus spelling, age
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 11:19 AM   #9
DVDdoug

Doesn't your interface have a built-in preamp? Most interfaces have a decent preamp, although some have limited gain if you're using a ribbon or dynamic mic, or if the sound source is distant from the mic.

If a tube amp has a certain sound characteristic it will sound different from an other tube amp with a certain sound so you really need to hear it before you buy it. Otherwise, it should have low noise, low distortion, and flat frequency response and it will sound just like any good solid state preamp.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:53 AM   #10
grinder

Because I write lots of different types of music having different preamps has helped my sound dsealer.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote