Old 05-26-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Default RME USB Stuff

I see MOTU has been 4 years without a USB update, perhaps they are now out of the game.

I see RME has a four ADAT port device called the Digiface USB. It has no word or spdif I dont think, but its LESS money than the HDSP9652

Are these things any good? How sketchy is USB compared to their PCI? If it were anyone else but RME I wouldnt bother asking, but RME are miracle workers

I could get that thing and then a X-ADAT card for my Midas M32 and then if I wanted use some other 8 channel to ADAT pres if I wanted
Old 05-26-2019, 02:05 PM   #2
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

I recorded my band a couple years ago using my UFX which was 20 simultaneous inputs into a Microsoft Surface over USB2 to a 32GB micro SD card. Pretty much no issues but keep in mind I don't have the requirement of monitoring through Reaper, TotalMix is my multi-headphone monitoring system.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:40 PM   #3
Greg Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I recorded my band a couple years ago using my UFX which was 20 simultaneous inputs into a Microsoft Surface over USB2 to a 32GB micro SD card. Pretty much no issues but keep in mind I don't have the requirement of monitoring through Reaper, TotalMix is my multi-headphone monitoring system.
Hated TotalMix in the beginning. Love it now lol
Greg Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:50 PM   #4
alanofoz

I'm starting to seriously consider the Digiface USB and an ADA8200 as my next interface, and probably add a Roland midi cable.

Karbo, what are the specs for your Surface? Mine is the Surface Pro 6 i7, 16GB, 1TB. Handles my Reaper projects just fine, not many tracks though.

bunyipmusic.com
alanofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:52 PM   #5
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanofoz View Post
Karbo, what are the specs for your Surface? Mine is the Surface Pro 6 i7, 16GB, 1TB. Handles my Reaper projects just fine, not many tracks though.
Good question LOL. I think its a surface pro 2 8GB but don't quote me until I pull it out and look. I've had it for a number of years.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:24 PM   #6
alanofoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Good question LOL. I think its a surface pro 2 8GB but don't quote me until I pull it out and look. I've had it for a number of years.
Thanks, gives me even more confidence that mine is plenty good enough for my needs.

bunyipmusic.com
alanofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:54 AM   #7
ReaDave

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Huge RME fan here. I've been running a Fireface UFX for the last four years or so and it is rock solid. I'm about to purchase a second one to run as an extension to my studio inputs and as a portable live recording and mixing rig.

I regularly record extended live improvisations to 28 tracks simultaneously over USB2 with zero issues.
ReaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:51 PM   #8
mb945

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
I see MOTU has been 4 years without a USB update, perhaps they are now out of the game.
What does that mean? MOTU just released updated drivers this month for all of their AVB/USB interfaces and also recently released some new interfaces (8-pre-es, 828es and UltraLite-mk4) all of which feature USB2.
mb945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:56 PM   #9
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb945 View Post
What does that mean? MOTU just released updated drivers this month for all of their AVB/USB interfaces and also recently released some new interfaces (8-pre-es, 828es and UltraLite-mk4) all of which feature USB2.
Weird, all I could find were 2015 ones and my 896 mk3 was running horrid
Old 05-28-2019, 12:30 PM   #10
serr

Quote:
Weird, all I could find were 2015 ones and my 896 mk3 was running horrid
MOTU has been and still is one of the big players in audio interfaces. They are on board with audio over network, network connected control surfaces, etc. and their high end models use thunderbolt now. They keep expanding their integrated cuemixers too. MOTU is king for digital routing!

What's wrong with your 896mk3?

RME always has similar models to MOTU in feature sets. The RME will have AD & DA stages more the quality of Apogee and their similar model always seems to have one additional feature over the MOTU counterpart. I always looked at RME but then went with a combo of MOTU and Apogee. (More bang for the buck for my uses. YMMV) You do have to pay premium for RME but it looks like they're worth it (based on reviews). Windows users say that RME's drivers make their broken OS just work like nothing's wrong.

I've been happy with MOTU since their first 828.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:19 PM   #11
pipelineaudio
Mortal

two of our rooms use 2408's, and you will not find a bigger MOTU fan than me, but the USB drivers for the last several years have been rather not up to par with their usual quality. RTL for the 896Mk3 is actually pretty high, nowhere near their firewire or PCI, even if RME's is

It was always a two horse race between rme and motu and the rest of the pack way behind, but now it seems like MOTU is back there as well

On the other hand, I know jack about thunderbolt. is it a common thing for windows now?
Old 05-28-2019, 08:34 PM   #12
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Looks like MOTU has a slightly better product, features wise, to compete with the Digiface USB. The LP32 is a bit more expensive but has word I/O and AVB, which I hope will be better than Dante

I'm a bit sketched on the Digiface USB, as the only near affordable clock out there right now, the Art Syncgen, has only four outs total, so if you are running to devices that are self terminating with no termination defeat like most 8 channel to ADAT mic pres, you can get into some trouble
Old 05-29-2019, 08:10 AM   #13
serr

Quote:
two of our rooms use 2408's, and you will not find a bigger MOTU fan than me, but the USB drivers for the last several years have been rather not up to par with their usual quality. RTL for the 896Mk3 is actually pretty high, nowhere near their firewire or PCI, even if RME's is

It was always a two horse race between rme and motu and the rest of the pack way behind, but now it seems like MOTU is back there as well

On the other hand, I know jack about thunderbolt. is it a common thing for windows now?
Ignorance is bliss then! I'm still using two firewire 828mk3 units.
I'll either move to thunderbolt or network audio if I need to upgrade or expand eventually. It would be a sideways move for me right now. I have the I/O I need and I can run low enough latency for live sound when needed with firewire.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:40 AM   #14
Magoostus

Quote:
Would you say it was a 2 horse race but one of the horses is a unicorn? :P

in all seriousness I owned a Motu16A and performance over thunderbolt was amazing. I have since sold it and I'm (hopefully) getting a Motu Stage B-16 which only has USB and AVB. AVB directly to my mac has alot of CPU overhead and latency is higher than just plain USB. :/ but the latency of AVB is still better than Dante with Dante Virtual Soundcard soooo......

Really PCIe/Thunderbolt are really the low-latency kings today
Magoostus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:07 PM   #15
cyrano

Quote:
I see RME has a four ADAT port device called the Digiface USB. It has no word or spdif I dont think, but its LESS money than the HDSP9652

Are these things any good? How sketchy is USB compared to their PCI? If it were anyone else but RME I wouldnt bother asking, but RME are miracle workers
They're rock solid. Same driver as all other RME USB devices. Same software. USB2 will get you up to 54 channels simultaneously. The Digiface USB allows 66 in total (32 in, 34 out @48 kHz, 24 bit). That's not counting internal loopbacks and channels used for internal mixes.

If I need a new interface, it'll probably be this one. 350 €, VAT and shipment incl.