Old 05-22-2022, 02:12 PM   #1
pax-eterna
Human being with feelings

Default Is there a theme for live stage use?

It needs to be a minimum set really, mostly just the mixer tools (no efx or routing slots though - the ones immediately above the mixer strip) and no track data needs to be seen either (as in waveforms/midi notes).

I am trialling using Reaper for live gigs and want the largest possible mixer theme with minimal other stuff as it is for a touchscreen monitor (13")

Does anyone have any suggestions for such a theme? I tried the resources site but putting in live into the search comes up empty.
pax-eterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 02:26 PM   #2
Pashkuli
Banned

Not sure, but my answer would be that there is not really such a theme.

But since you need it...
Necessity is the mother of all inventions. Maybe you could make such a theme, despite that intimidating chap Walter!

Last edited by Pashkuli; 05-23-2022 at 04:54 AM.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 03:25 PM   #3
pepe44

For live use i find theme from version 5 very helpful. Special with all the meter sizes options for the MCP
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 03:30 PM   #4
X-Raym

Maybe take advantage of Reaper Web Interface if you need a simple Mixer then. Fancier.html is great.

Just run this from your browser desktop. tutorial on youtube.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:48 PM   #5
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
Maybe take advantage of Reaper Web Interface if you need a simple Mixer then. Fancier.html is great.

Thanks, not sure I want to have to bother with WI-Fi and internet connections at a gig
Old 05-22-2022, 04:49 PM   #6
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashkuli View Post
Not sure, but not my answer would be that there is not really such a theme.

But since you need it...
Necessity is the mother of all inventions. Maybe you could make such a theme, despite that intimidating chap Walter!
I had a cursory look at trying to edit my own themes and got lost after about 5 minutes hahaha!

Still have no clue how to even save one I have managed to modify (only in the tiniest of ways)
Old 05-22-2022, 05:06 PM   #7
X-Raym

It is web based but ony local needed, not internet.

What I was suggesting was to run the interface right in your computer without internet.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:16 AM   #8
pax-eterna

Quote:
It is web based but ony local needed, not internet.

What I was suggesting was to run the interface right in your computer without internet.
ahh, ok thanks...will investigate further.
Old 05-23-2022, 01:33 PM   #9
pax-eterna

Quote:

Having trouble finding that tutorial on YT?

Also if I simply paste in fancier.html it comes up with "unknown site" error...so maybe you can expand a little?
Old 05-23-2022, 02:03 PM   #10
airon

airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:44 PM   #11
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Yes that was the one I did find, but it didn't seem to directly relate to the post. Plus it require me taking a WI-FI router to a gig. It explains all devices need to be on the same network.

And tbh it didn't really show that internet is not required as indicated by the post above..or maybe I am just not "getting it"??

Last edited by pax-eterna; 05-24-2022 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:12 PM   #12
X-Raym

Indeed. You miss the fact that it can be run from the computer itself. No need to use mumtiple devices. Just use your web browser.

But if you don't think that any of this is helpful, just download and try themes of course !

Maybe it is me who just don't get it. Thing is that web interfaces can have very big buttons and minimal layout which is handy as a Big Mixer. That is why I thought it would be relevant. If yiu need arrange view etc then you need a theme for sure
Good luck !
Old 05-24-2022, 07:29 PM   #13
foxAsteria

Due to the fact that there is no way to lock track order and therefore any routing through parent folders, I would never use Reaper live with touchscreen. Way too easy to accidentally drag tracks around and cause chaos.

OSC is far safer and more customizable than any Reaper theme. Not to mention the convenience of being able to load it onto any small, portable screen like a phone or tablet. Multiple people can simultaneously access the same Reaper setup from their own devices as well.

You can set up a TouchOSC template to transmit MIDI thru TouchOSC Bridge with a USB cable instead of OSC over WiFi. Note that you don't need an active WiFi internet connection. You can easily set up any device as a WiFi access point and then connect other devices directly, in the same way you would with any normal WiFi AP.
Old 05-24-2022, 07:30 PM   #14
pax-eterna

Quote:
Indeed. You miss the fact that it can be run from the computer itself. No need to use mumtiple devices. Just use your web browser.

But if you don't think that any of this is helpful, just download and try themes of course !

Maybe it is me who just don't get it. Thing is that web interfaces can have very big buttons and minimal layout which is handy as a Big Mixer. That is why I thought it would be relevant. If yiu need arrange view etc then you need a theme for sure
Good luck !
Thanks again...haha I finally got it working and almost immediately got an error say the website was down, or words to that affect. Yeah the look and layout was fine...but I could nto get it to work when there was no internet connection, IE a live WI-FI
Old 05-24-2022, 07:32 PM   #15
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Due to the fact that there is no way to lock track order and therefore any routing through parent folders, I would never use Reaper live with touchscreen. Way too easy to accidentally drag tracks around and cause chaos.

OSC is far safer and more customizable than any Reaper theme. Not to mention the convenience of being able to load it onto any small, portable screen like a phone or tablet. Multiple people can simultaneously access the same Reaper setup from their own devices as well.

If you set up your template to transmit MIDI over TouchOSC Bridge and USB cable instead of OSC over WiFi. Note that you don't need an active WiFi internet connection. You can easily set up a device as a WiFi access point and then connect other devices directly, in the same way you would with any normal WiFi AP.
oh that sounds more for me. I agree with a small touchscreen it would be easy to mess things up. I'll try and do some research into MIDI over TouchOSC Bridge and USB cable...I don't suppose you have any links to such data? No probs if you don't I'm sure I can find something

I have heard of OSC, but never got into it as it looked so complicated!!
Old 05-24-2022, 07:37 PM   #16
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax-eterna View Post
oh that sounds more for me. I agree with a small touchscreen it would be easy to mess things up. I'll try and do some research into MIDI over TouchOSC Bridge and USB cable...I don't suppose you have any links to such data? No probs if you don't I'm sure I can find something

I have heard of OSC, but never got into it as it looked so complicated!!
It's all on the TouchOSC website. Nice thing is they do licensing like Reaper, so you can test fully functional software before purchase. OSC Bridge is a background app by them for MIDI over USB. Some devices can already do this natively though and you might not need it.

OSC is far easier today than in the past. The new versions of TouchOSC and ReaLearn are just epic. Yes, it's a bit complicated, but still quite accessible and you don't need to dive too deep to get results. Mostly it's set and forget.
Old 06-01-2022, 10:50 PM   #17
GrimRP

I don't know about the specific live theme but you may find something here - https://apartmentrecording.com/best-reaper-themes/
GrimRP is offline   Reply With Quote