Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 03-11-2016, 01:28 AM   #41
Dstruct
Human being with feelings

No stuck notes here anymore with VSTi in 5.16.

There a quite some options for all-notes-off and reset stuff in Preferences (MIDI devices, Playback, VST). Check these!
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:08 PM   #42
bob_walker99

Hi thanks for the reply - all the options I could see seemed to relate to changing state (pasting MIDI, de-arming, stop/reset etc) - but the stuck notes happen to me whilst monitoring / recording, which seems to be a different scenario?
I'll try tweaking some of the settings, but I can't see any one of them that suggests it'll stop the behaviour I'm experiencing.
bob_walker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:17 AM   #43
Dstruct

Ok, here one remaining issue with stuck notes: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=40994

(happens with Item mix behaviour not set to "Items always mix")
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:06 AM   #44
MikComposer

Happens to me sometimes.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:12 AM   #45
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
Happens to me sometimes.
5.16 new today.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:15 PM   #46
MikComposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
5.16 new today.
5.16 too. Had that issues since I've got reaper ( around early v4 ; v4.1 or close)
Old 04-09-2016, 03:09 AM   #47
Hellfog

Midi note get stuck when playing back midi recording. Happens with this plugins: Arturia, Reaktor Razor, OP-X PRO-II on mac.

Don' t have problems with for example Omnisphere, U-he plugins etc

So so so tired of this.
Hellfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:48 AM   #48
Softsynth

I've probably had it randomly with every build of Reaper. I also get it with standalone Synths and Cubase too.
It doesn't happen that often but it would worry me if I wanted to perform live.
Kontakt5 seems to be the worst for it, Standalone or within a DAW.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:34 PM   #49
danmanisa

This is a worry that this has been a problem for so many for so long.

I have very similar problems to most here. Running windows 7, Reaper 64, latest version (5.211 I believe).
This problem does not occur with plugins like EZ drummer or Slate Drums, but these are 64 bit. It does occur with Miroslav Orchestra and my most recent purchase from a couple of days ago, UVI's Orchestral Suite (the latter was replacing the former).

As others have said, it occurs somewhat randomly, but almost within the first few MIDI notes in playback EVERY time. Even when stopping the transport, the note continues until I disable effects on that track and then re-enable them.

I have not tested it while recording as of yet, but it seems to be a bridging thing. Annoying, as we are working on an epic song smothered with MIDI and there is no way I can get past the first few notes, let alone the following several hundred!!

I'll check out the link Dstruct supplied but it seems like a problem quite a few are experiencing.... LOVE Reaper, but this is a big problem.
danmanisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:22 AM   #50
ivansc

I responded to a similar stuck note thread earlier.
Whilst I am not saying it is NOT just a Reaper problem in this case. I have been using MIDI since the mid 1980s and using a MIDI sequencer on a computer since the late eighties.
Every single MIDI sequencer I have ever used had issues with "stuck" notes, usually not really stuck but elongated ridiculously.
It does sort of make you wonder if there is something inherent in the MIDI data code that causes this to happen randomly.
Saw it with an Atari ST running Pro24 and early Cubase, my beloved Bars n Pipes Pro on an Amiga & many others since.
I dont seem to get it with Reaper but there again I am slowly moving away from midi apart from drums, which may be why.

Very irritating though, isn`t it?
Would those of you experiencing this stuck note syndrome mind confirming whether what you are experiencing is a note that just keeps sounding and doesnt turn off, or a note that gets permanently elongated in the sequence?
Old 07-13-2016, 08:47 PM   #51
danmanisa

It is a note that seems to just play and play on...

I don't use MIDI a great deal and I do recall back when I used (cough) Pro Tools that I would get the occasional stuck note. This was rare. But at least with the session I have in Reaper at the moment, it is occurring EVERY session. It may not happen the first few times I hot play, but it will happen.

I am doing tests at the moment with this session. Interestingly, this was a session that I crossed over from PT, so I am wondering if there were some MIDI code in there that could be causing some issues, but if that were the case, I'd assume there'd be consistency with both when and which notes played non-stop.

Last night I imported one set of the MIDI session into a new session and had no problems at all. This is odd as that's exactly what I did with the previous one, the only difference was that there were more MIDI tracks and all the audio ones as well.... I'll keep digging.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:02 PM   #52
danmanisa

Ok, I have done some more testing and got some good yet interesting results.
I am using a session that I had setup and worked on several years ago in Pro Tools (sorry!).
A few weeks ago, I finally got around to messing with it and imported the midi and started to fiddle with Miroslav. Notes were stuck immediately.

I only just purchased UVI's Orchestral suit and when I applied them to the same session, same result, stuck notes straight off the bat. Now, at first i thought this was a Reaper thing, but it may not be.
I tried new sessions with OS (Orchestral Suite) and there were no issues at all. Last night and today, I imported those same MIDI files from several years ago into a NEW session and applied almost 10 instances of OS - NO stuck notes, not once.

I then copied those MIDI files into my old session (after deleting the previous same MIDI files that I had played with in my first attempt. No stuck notes when I loaded up OS on them.

So my theory, at this stage is this: Miroslav has altered the MIDI commands somehow or corrupted them in some way, because the exact same MIDI in the exact same session (but on new tracks that had no previous VSTi on them) worked fine.

I tested the old session with OS on the MIDI tracks that used to contain Miroslav and BAM, problem back again!

It's not definitive and it does not help others who are having the issue with other VSTi's, but it can't be coincidence that I was getting the problem within a minute EVERY time I put on Miro or OS, but with a clean new track that had not previously contained a VSTi, it worked without fail, not once. Whether it is Miroslav or something else that may occur down the track, we will see. I'll post if anything goes wrong...

Would be interested in hearing people's theories on these results.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:58 PM   #53
FnA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfog View Post
Don' t have problems with for example Omnisphere, U-he plugins etc
It has happened a lot while using u-he synths for me. Don't know why. They often (always?) keep hanging after Stop. Have to hit Play again to get them to quit.

Here's something that happened today: Had a multi channel item feeding sends to several tracks. Hanging note. Discovered note reaching the end of item was one of those endless deals where you drag the end of the item and it keeps growing under it. Gluing the item had not fixed it. Re-gluing would not either. Deleted it manually and made a new note. Seemed OK after that. Interestingly, the note did not display that way in arrange view, filling the item to (beyond) the ending edge.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:46 PM   #54
ivansc

I assume you have all examined the MIDI data to see if somehow note offs are being removed or somehow "muted"? This was certainly the problem in several instances with Bars n Pipes Pro on the Amiga.
Problem there is that IIR it was totally random - I never did get to the bottom of it.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:34 AM   #55
dunego

still getting stuck midi notes with the last reaper version 5.22/64. cant use midi in reaper, it happens with kontakt, omnisphere and any vsti i've tried. i have to open maschine and use the vsti I want inside of it.
dunego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:19 PM   #56
DruMunkey

So F*&^ing annoying... Midi notes constantly sticking on... Been going on forever by this thread. Why can't reaper FIX this? They focus on all this obscure BS in their updates, but don't fix something this damn obvious?!!!
DruMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:02 PM   #57
ivansc

Dont be silly.
As has already been demonstrated, this is far from being exclusively a Reaper problem.

Certainly I had it intermittently as far back as the early 1990s, long before Reaper.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:08 AM   #58
tenfour

I too am having persistent problems with MIDI notes being "stuck". The absolute quickest & most reliable way to reproduce it is:

1) new project.
2) add a vsti (Massive, choose a patch that sustains)
3) enter a 4-note chord into a track manually
4) play it, stop before the note ends.

*MOST* of the time, one note in the chord will continue to play. I have to hit F3 habitually to stop it.

Here's a 1:30 video I just made, reproducing it: https://youtu.be/lh3RwGPil8M

What am I doing wrong?
tenfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #59
FnA

@tenfour: Thanks for contributing stuff lately. I tried to reproduce what you put on youtube for a little while with ReaSynth and didn't get it, so I switched to u-he TyrellN6. Still couldn't get it to hang on Stop (today, in this case, just saying.)

But I did get it to hang by putting a loop point selection which ended before the note ends. Note hangs at about 08 seconds in. You can see difference in the meter.

Changing loop length changed number of repetitions before note would hang...

@ivansc: I think you might have something with the mute notes being a problem some times, but no, I didn't test anything too intensely that day.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:06 AM   #60
ELP

I really don´t know what all you guys doing or not doing with MIDI and your refers configs,

but both example I cant confirm... at least with my config and the handling of MIDI data.
Look at the little example.. and the NoteOn_Counter; NoteOff_Counter variable
Open NoteOn Messages are always closing with Note_Off Messages!!
And this is really one short loop & with one tempo of 480bpm..

Some User handling could be problematic but this refers always with doing something during playback.. Like moving/deleting MIDI Items, Muting, moving Notes, Muting/moving Instruments from one chain to another etc. etc. etc. pp...
You simply never should do that during playback.. or only if you really know that there are no "Open"things... Note Ons/sustain or whatever
the last mute/move Instrument could be fixed if REAPER would close open Note Ons and some CC before muting/moving the specific Instrument but ok.

And dont forget not every bug is refers to REAPER , I believe that there are a lot of
or maybe I should better say - I 100% known that there are some virtual Instruments outside, which intern MIDI Data handling is not always the best.
I normally only get stuck if I want stuck or do really bad things during playback.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:10 PM   #61
FnA

You give me an idea ELP. You have the MIDI editor open. There is a preference related to open MIDI editor and track FX. So I run the same loop. No hang when MIDI editor is open.

Attached Images
File Type: png 2016-8-21.png (40.3 KB, 1252 views)
Old 08-23-2016, 05:55 PM   #62
FnA

I played with the same (test only) project a little more and now I don't think the MIDI editor had anything to do with it.

It hangs when I start Playback from the start of the loop, MIDI editor or no. You can see in the previous post the edit cursor is not at the start (start being the most common place for it to be when starting playback, I would say.) It probably landed there double clicking the item. It was at the start in the post prior to that.

I can predict reliably a hang at 10 repetitions at this loop length, when starting playback from loop start.

Last edited by FnA; 08-23-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #63
Fenntil

Hi all,

I have a similar problem, and testing in the same way as tenfour described above in his post and in his youtube video, I have the same results, whatever VST I use (so far I tested with korg M1 VST (32bits), FM8 (64bits) ).

Now I investigated a bit more, and found out a few things. But first about my equipment. I use two midi inputs : one on my EMU 1820m soundcard, and an EMU xmidi1x1 tab (USB). As keyboards, I have a Yamaha P90 and a Yamaha an1x.

Usually I choose a specific input and "all midi channels". When doing so, I noticed with MIDI Logger that a lot of things happen on the MIDI side (see attached image). I am not lettered in MIDI so I do not know what this means.

BUT when I choose a specific channel, none of these messages appear (whatever channel I choose, so I wonder on which channel they are?? Or is it some kind of time sync ?). And in this case, there is no stuck note for as long as I can try (I tried more than a minute with a loop where I usually have a stuck note every second or so).

Might it be that the MIDI input is saturated with this information, causing the "note off" signal to be lost occasionally?

The P90 sends A LOT of these messages with "F8 00 00" and "FE 00 00" (more than 50 per second, whether it is plugged on the 1820m or the Xmidi1x1 tab, so the MIDI input is not to blame); the an1x sends much less (about 4 per second) and only with FE so if I only use the an1x, I have less stuck notes.

Clearly a solution in my case is to select a specific input and MIDI channel : in this case, there is no unknown things sent by the keyboard, no overloaded MIDI and no stuck notes.

Let me know if this information is useful!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MIDI_log.jpg (28.8 KB, 1288 views)
Fenntil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:08 PM   #64
jerry

Default stuck notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_walker99 View Post
Are others still having this issue?
Yep. Reaper 5.30 64bit trial.

Tried with two different instruments on offending track - Halion Orchestra and Sample Tank 3.

The hanging note(s) occur during playback and in rendered .wav file. Sometimes playback is ok again - but all renders have the hanging/stuck note.

I have checked "Flush FX on stop" as advised in another post here - but it made no difference.

It also seems to happen a lot with Sample Tank 3 - but now I have tried a third instrument and still the hanging note occurs - which comes in on cue at bar 37 and rides on to the end of the track.

Anything else I might try?
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 04:27 AM   #65
ELP

one thing for lowering the possibility of getting stuck notes or other things
(without other optimizing(s) and or doing and or not doing ^^ anything else)
is:

!Avoid to use bridged VSTis!

x86 plugins to REAPER x64
or
x64 plugins to REAPER x86
doesnt matter

at irregular intervals, reaperhostXX seems to/has clearly some unexpected problems with Instruments and MIDI events.
The more different events are sent, the more likely to get stucks already during normal playback.

Only one example Instrument plugin x86 bridged to x64 lice.
Result = stuck notes and or buffer.. during normal playback from start to END
The same could of course easy happen with other bridge Instrument plugins.
x86 to x64 or x64 to x86 REAPER... do not matter

Here it is clearly the reaperhost bridge with Instruments which make the unexpected problem.

This stuck example is really never ever happen,
if I do not need bridging.. Meaning work/play with REAPERx86 only with x86 Instruments

The same with REAPER x64; use only x64 Instruments
Never bridge any Instrument!

BTW.
One of the reason why I have install and use both REAPERx64 and REAPERx86.

Last edited by ELP; 12-25-2016 at 07:21 AM.
ELP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 02:00 PM   #66
ivansc

Funny thing is that I never experience this running NI`s B4II in reaper 64bit!
Mind you NIs code is usually pretty polite - who knows?
Old 12-26-2016, 07:25 AM   #67
ELP

the B4II is one of those plugin synths, which is not multiple Note ON trigger compatible.(polyphonic glide)
Meaning if you would send multiple NOTE ONs/same pitch/same channel it would always
Stop(would be the same as one Note Off event) and simply re-trigger the previsions Note ON(same pitch and channel) envelope.
So at the End it doesnt matter how many NOTE ONs for the same pitch you send..
the B4II need only one NOTE Off event to stop the Note ON envelope for the same pitch/channel..

Maybe this has to do with it...

If I need to mix x64 and x86 Instruments together
there is one, at least for me, great
way to do this without the possibility of VSTi bridging stucks.
I open REAPERx86 simply as one rewire slave from REAPERx64.
And Yes this also uses reaperhost32 bridge but the big difference is that
I can edit the necessary MIDI events and send the MIDI messages within/from the rewire REAPERx32 slave ..
So only the Audio would find his way from REAPERx32 to REAPERx64 over the rewire port..

And Simsalabim no stucks anymore which would exactly (with the same contents) happen if I open XYZ x32 plugin within REAPERx64 simply as VSTi with the help of reaperhostx32.

BTW.
generally the wrong multiple NOTE ON send behavior on different parts and situations would be the most important thing to fix/change regarding to Note-/ stucks.
Making the best even better.

Last edited by ELP; 12-26-2016 at 07:38 AM.
ELP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:01 AM   #68
Zacriac

Default Still have this problem....

I resolved part of it by dropping to 32bits and using a lower buffer size... Tho this problem is recurrent it happens in other program too (Musescore, Finale ect...) when using 32 bits synth with 64 bits program, i guess....
Zacriac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:01 AM   #69
Tyrannocaster

This is an old thread, but I was having this problem today with the U-he Diva plugin, and it was happening all the time. Then I realized that this time, when I set up the track, I set the Reaper midi input from my keyboard to ALL CHANNELS rather than a specific one (I usually use Ch 1, but this time I was lazy). The problem stopped immediately and has not come back now - it's been over an hour of constant playing.

Certainly, this is not the problem everybody else is having, but it worked this time.
Tyrannocaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:24 AM   #70
ivansc

FWIW I have finally dumped both Sample Tank3 and all the u-he stuff simply because they are unreliable in Reaper, Studio One, Sonar and Cakewalk by Bandaid or whatever they call themselves.

Could be just my particular hardware but frankly these are the only firms whose plugins consistently give me issues (well apart from Antares, for whom I have been sorta beta testing, but without much success)
Old 04-30-2018, 08:27 AM   #71
EvilDragon

Absolutely no problems with u-he stuff over here.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 04:32 AM   #72
Stirner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
No stuck notes here anymore with VSTi in 5.16.

There a quite some options for all-notes-off and reset stuff in Preferences (MIDI devices, Playback, VST). Check these!
I had this problem with u-he's Diva's polyphonic patches, especially pads with long release. I checked all of these settings and the problems are all gone. I'm too lazy to find out what specific setting it was, but right now everything works perfectly. Thank you.
Stirner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:55 AM   #73
Almorante

Hi Stirner (and others , i got the same problem than you i think. It's impossible to play more than 2 or 3 seconds without having these stuck notes.

You said that you tried all the methods of this forum but you didn't know which one is it that solve your problem. Did you find which one is it now ? I tried some but nothing works for me.

I use the last version of reaper (but it was the same with older ones), i use xpand2 most of the time. I downloaded cakewalk to try, the problem is the same...

I'm completely lost, i don't know much (almost nothing about daw settings), i'm french and don't speak very well english, so when i read the method to solve this in english i'm desperate...
Almorante is offline   Reply With Quote