Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 11-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
bigmac
Human being with feelings

Default Setting up XferRecord's LFO Tool to trigger from a different MIDI track?

Hi all, I have two tracks:

One has a virtual instrument in the FX chain and a MIDI track with notes which trigger the virtual instrument.

The second track is just a MIDI track with notes which are in time with a kick drum, I'd like to use this as the sidechain.

When I insert LFO Tool at the end of the FX chain on the first track, it triggers when each note plays. (As expected!)

How do I set it up so that it triggers from the second track with the kick drum midi data?

Thank you!
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:38 PM   #2
mschnell

No idea about "triggering the LFO Tool", bur for routing Midi between tracks you can use the "Routing" button on the track to either send the messages to another track's standard midi input or to a Midi bus that can directly be received by a plugin (see the User Guide for details).

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 11-22-2017 at 06:38 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:35 AM   #3
bigmac

Thanks for the reply Michael! I should've added that when routing the sidechain to the instrument track causes LFO Tool to trigger on both the instrument midi notes and the sidechain notes.

So I guess my more specific question is: how do I set up a MIDI track to send to a specific FX plugin?
Old 11-22-2017, 06:40 AM   #4
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
how do I set up a MIDI track to send to a specific FX plugin?
I understand that this can be done by using one of the 16 Midi Buses (not channels !!), Reaper provides, as each plugin can be set to receive from a bus instead from the previous element in the FX chain. Try the "2 in 2 out" or similar button and then "I/O".

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 11-22-2017 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:03 PM   #5
bigmac

Thanks again for the reply Michael! I've been tinkering with the MIDI busses but I've not been able to achieve routing to a specific VST. I'd like to keep this thread online though in case someone's able to provide me with a step by step guide for my small brain

For now I've decided on the following method:
Route the output of the instrument track to another track. On this new track have the sidechain MIDI pattern and LFO Tool on there.

It does mean that I need to create additional sidechain tracks for each track I want to sidechain, but maybe this additional flexibility will benefit later on!
Old 11-24-2017, 10:52 PM   #6
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
I've not been able to achieve routing to a specific VST.
Did you not find the "I/O" button -> "Midi Input" -> "Bus..." for the plugin's Midi routing ?

-Michael
Old 11-25-2017, 06:46 AM   #7
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
How do I set it up so that it triggers from the second track with the kick drum midi data?
Helloez-- well there is a few ways to do this sort of thing-- in this case it may actually be easier if you stick your notes on the same track--but select a different channel for your 'triggering notes'.. chnl 16 could be your triggers chnl for eg..
Which 'lfo tool' are your referring to? native param mod,or the scripted version of lfo tool?
Not forgetting new ai items might help solve any further 'difficulties'.
Simplez-right? =)
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote