Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 10:04 AM   #161
sonicowl
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
WT isn't a coder, but designer. If you want some appearance improvements, create FR.

Yea, whatever....
Old 08-31-2019, 01:06 PM   #162
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicowl View Post
Yea, whatever....
He's not responsible for what you're asking about, unless you think different looking knobs/sliders for stock plugins would be important (because those are the only things abuot the plugins that the theme is responsible for). This is just a theme. If you want Reaper's core functionality changed, make a feature request. Complaining to WT doesn't help anything.

Please people, let's not have this thread go down the toilet like the last one. Yeah some people want Reaper to look like other DAWs, and some people don't like the way the stock plugins look. Can we stick to the actual subject.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:58 AM   #163
daeavelwyn

Hi WT,

Im' using reaper on windows 10 (x64) and two full HD screens (1920x1080). Thanks for your work (more than 1500 lines of code O_O'), I've tried the theme and the script and everything is working quite well for my needs. This script will probably become a master piece in the Reaper tweaking.

However I'd just like to mentioned one thing, not sure you can do something about that, but, in the MCP, the separation between FX block, fx parameter block and sends block is not really readable on my screen. A bit of higher contrast or a lighter border/separator/some stuff you can imagine to make those blocks separations more readable would really help to make my old eyes less tired while dealing with track in the mcp.

If I may add a comment I'd also think the icon showing monitor ON should be green to fit more with the general idea that grey is for disable.

I hope this feedback can help to improve the theme.

regards
Old 09-03-2019, 10:16 AM   #164
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Is anyone having trouble moving tracks out of folders? What about the visual indicator while you are moving them in or out of folders?
Old 09-03-2019, 04:53 PM   #165
swiiscompos

A couple of things I noticed:

Is there a button to undim the colors?

Depending on the color I can't read the track name, I wish it was always white.

The names of the envelope panels are very small, I have very good eyes and a good monitor, and still can barely read them sometimes. I wouldn't mind if all the small text was a little bit bigger in general. Especially in the transport where crucial information like tempo and time signature are very small. Could we have an option in the script to make all the text bigger?

And that's maybe me being tired... but I couldn't find where to tweak the mixer panel and the colors in the script. Somehow I hadn't noticed the arrows.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:55 PM   #166
swiiscompos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Is anyone having trouble moving tracks out of folders? What about the visual indicator while you are moving them in or out of folders?
Not moving out out, but I am missing the visual indicator telling me I am moving a track in a folder (I still see the full length transparent bar).
Old 09-14-2019, 04:43 AM   #167
typewriter

One minor thing a came across is the label/textfield size on automation lanes.

This area is significantly smaller than the label/textfields of normal tracks.

By that it is in most cases not possible to read the name of the automated parameter.

There is plenty of space to the right so maybe it is possible to make the fields wider/bigger.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:50 AM   #168
bFooz

Script bug:

- mixer control panel -> if track not selected - any check mark in this collumn affects all tracks, regardless of their selection
Old 09-25-2019, 10:53 AM   #169
bFooz

Regarding labels of collumns: "if" seems redundant, e.g. "id track no visible" can be just "track visible" and is easily understandable.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #170
bFooz

Script bug:

- hover over a control with arrows on sides and which shows tooltip on right (e.g. MCP - Align Controls)
- hover from its name area over to the arrow

BUG - the tooltip text is shifed up/down

- hover from text to arrow and back again over the lower text line

BUG - the tooltip text on the right disappears
Old 09-25-2019, 11:01 AM   #171
bFooz

Script - for me it is confusing to have tooltips pop up on both right and left sides. I'd expect to have them just on one side. Then I know where to look in case I need to read the tooltip.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:04 AM   #172
bFooz

Transport do not show time here when "Center transport controls" in on.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:06 AM   #173
bFooz

Suggestion - option to show all transport controls aligned to the middle.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #174
bFooz

Script bug - tooltip toggle button does not have any tooltip text. Also some other buttons would need it, for example button in the top right corner which looks like "Save as" button. (yea, it is "Dock" button)
Old 09-25-2019, 11:14 AM   #175
bFooz

Script suggestion - recoloring a project could not be random, but could swap color for color from the same slot of different pallettes. This would mean I could go back to previous color scheme exactly as it was assigned to tracks if I wouldn't like the new coloring.

Random coloring with its prominent big button seems pretty dangerous for me, as I have a standardised color scheme which groups like instruments. Random recoloring breaks this grouping and cannot be restored.

Last edited by bFooz; 09-25-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:20 AM   #176
bFooz

Script bug (Win 7 here)

Arrows to switch between sections (e.g. Envelope - TCP - MCP):

- hover over the arrow
- then move the mouse really slowly over the bottom edge of the hover area

BUG - the arrow does no become dimmed

note: highlight color on hover of these controls could be brighter or the control could be highlighted in some other way. Because when I have a white mouse cursor over it, it is now really hard to tell the difference between highlighted and non-highlighted control. (Arrows in circles are fine.)
Old 09-25-2019, 11:26 AM   #177
bFooz

Script suggestion:

Text button (e.g. Show FX inserts, Show play state as text) could be a button as a whole. Currently only the icon is a button, when I click on the text nothing happens. Then both the icon and text could be hover-highlighted.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:59 PM   #178
Otto Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Script bug:

- mixer control panel -> if track not selected - any check mark in this collumn affects all tracks, regardless of their selection
Yes! Thank you
Old 10-03-2019, 02:14 PM   #179
blumpy

Default Nice and Clean

I really like the direction and clarity of the 6.0 default theme.

Quick question, is it possible for me to modify this theme so that the channel names can dynamically resize or at least manual be resized? Many people have to deal with stems; track names can look like:
"SPW504 4m08 Britney Tells Chuck She Love Reaper v2.04 Bass 01332519 191003"

Last edited by blumpy; 10-03-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:16 AM   #180
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Has anyone figured out how to set the default layout for new tracks?
Old 10-04-2019, 10:35 AM   #181
blumpy

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean.

I've set my channel defaults in View-Screenshots/Layouts-Layouts and I've set the panels there for global layout.

Aside for the global layout I like to "show fx parameters" on the mixer panel and resize the fader in the panel so it's longer on all the tracks. I've tried saving it in the windows screenshots but it doesn't stick.

So setting the panel is easy but any changes to the panel I've not been able to keep. I have to adjust at the start of the session.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:00 AM   #182
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
answered here
Old 10-06-2019, 10:48 AM   #183
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Crap, that's how I thought, and it works for other themes, just not this one.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:48 AM   #184
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumpy View Post

So setting the panel is easy but any changes to the panel I've not been able to keep. I have to adjust at the start of the session.
That's what i'm getting too
Old 10-06-2019, 05:05 PM   #185
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

This is the first use of all-new Reaper functionality. Problems are being exposed for the first time ever. No matter how many times you report it, if you're not going to give me any more details, I am incapable of solving the problem.

Oh, and calling me a dick isn't helpful either.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:22 AM   #186
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Are me and blumpy the only ones or are others unable to save a default layout? It could very well be something in my settings.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:02 AM   #187
JamesPeters

It works for me, whether I want to set some selected tracks with different layouts or whether I want to save a setting globally. Also I have no problem with screen sets, including the height of the mixer being saved in the "windows" section of screen sets.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:45 AM   #188
pipelineaudio
Mortal

When you start a new project, is your default layout set? Like whatever you saved by default is that still there?

My biggest problem is that when starting a new project, there is no input selector, until I chose a different layout
Old 10-09-2019, 02:38 AM   #189
JamesPeters

Quote:
When you start a new project, is your default layout set? Like whatever you saved by default is that still there?
Yes. More specifically: whatever screenset I had selected last before starting a new project, that's what settings are retained. If you were making changes to a screenset but then not saving it, and recalling a previous version (without those settings saved), that might be why.

Quote:
My biggest problem is that when starting a new project, there is no input selector, until I chose a different layout
I just tested this and I don't have that problem. One of the layouts, I specifically made to hide the input selector for TCP. Whatever layout I selected, that setting was retained when starting a new project (or closing/reopening Reaper with a new blank project).
Old 10-09-2019, 02:38 AM   #190
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
More details at last. Thank you.

The root layout is currently (though not in my development build) a fixed setting, pending a decision over what to do about the scaling and A/B/C business.

If you set a layout in options > layouts (not layouts per track) or screensets > layouts, then it should persist to new projects. If it doesn't on your system, that is a quirk. The next step would be to track down what it is that makes your system unusual.

This is entirely different to the problem blumpy is having, which is the long running reaper-themeconfig.ini bug that has been reported by several people but I am unable to replicate. I shall be trying to address this in the next update.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:58 AM   #191
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
The root layout is currently (though not in my development build) a fixed setting, pending a decision over what to do about the scaling and A/B/C business.
If this is about choosing a specific layout for any of the areas (TCP, MCP, master) instead of leaving it set as "layout default", I had noticed that and even mentioned specific advice about getting layouts to persist in this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
To those who can't get the layout options to persist
You'll probably have to select A, B, C (or 125%/150% versions of those) instead of "layout default") per instance (track, mixer, master, etc.) This can be done on a per-track basis (by selecting the track, right clicking, and changing the layout) or globally from the menu: options -> layouts -> (etc.)
So, I assumed that wasn't the problem he was having.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:45 AM   #192
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
If this is about choosing a specific layout for any of the areas (TCP, MCP, master) instead of leaving it set as "layout default", I had noticed that and even mentioned specific advice about getting layouts to persist in this post:
Well, if you don't choose a different layout then the default stays as default and that's what you get, so there's nothing to save because you can't edit it. FYI In my development build I have it so that its always A unless you set it to be something else and that seems like the way to go. It means if you mess up all the layouts there is no 'vanilla' fallback, but its all much more transparent and predictable.

Quote:
I assumed that wasn't the problem he was having.
I'm learning to not make assumptions. I've had a user report it all broken but it turns out they were using the wrong theme and the error message is in English which they don't speak. I've had a user trying to save their changes in the script by opening the script in the editor and then saving the script file itself. Its very hard if you 'get it' to put yourself in the mindset of people who don't yet 'get it', which is compounded every time I have changed the way the script does something or Reaper changes the way it interacts with it. The joys of alpha
Old 10-09-2019, 05:20 AM   #193
Edison

Quote:
Are me and blumpy the only ones or are others unable to save a default layout? It could very well be something in my settings.
The way I saved the changes to version 6.0, are working normally and Default_6.0 is still preserved.
Attached Images
File Type: png Default 6.0.png (23.0 KB, 403 views)
File Type: png v 6.0-2 pic1.png (35.5 KB, 346 views)
File Type: png v 6.0-2 pic2.png (12.1 KB, 318 views)
File Type: png v 6.0-2 pic3.png (4.9 KB, 351 views)
Old 10-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #194
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:

If you set a layout in options > layouts (not layouts per track) or screensets > layouts, then it should persist to new projects. If it doesn't on your system, that is a quirk. The next step would be to track down what it is that makes your system unusual.

I'll go do a portable install on USB when I get to work, hopefully that will bypass the preferences

Last edited by White Tie; 10-09-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #195
blumpy

Default Routing

perhaps it’s me but “route” on the track panel is too big or too opaque and makes it difficult to tell what which indication lights are lit and not lit. Maybe the indicator light should be completely dark with no hue when not engaged? Reaper 5 theme just seemed easier to glance down all my tracks and see who is assigned to master vs stem send, etc.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:23 AM   #196
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Portable install is holding its settings. I'm going thru my prefs on the main install now and seeing if I can find whats doing it, if that's it.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #197
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Oooh, interesting. The game is afoot, etc.

Next thing to try would be a comprehensive .ini nuke as described in post #1. Then see if, when the entries are recreated, they are recreated correctly.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:13 PM   #198
Reflected

any updates soon?

really like this theme so far
Old 10-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #199
pipelineaudio
Mortal

How are you guys finding the contrast between selected and unselected items?
Old 10-15-2019, 03:07 PM   #200
Reflected

Quote:
How are you guys finding the contrast between selected and unselected items?
bad
sometimes unnoticeable

but I'm sure whitetie saw this already and this is one of the reasons I'm waiting for the update.

Also for the same reason I would like an easy option to color only small part of the tcp and not the whole track. (without texting walter or edit photos by myself!)
Closed Thread