Old 06-05-2017, 02:37 PM   #1
westan
Human being with feelings

Default Recording In Reaper

Recently I was given a Crown XLS-1500 amplifier and a TASCAM CD-200. The sound quality of my CDs in this setup is superior to my laptop setup.
Is there a way to record the Crown amplifier output to my laptop using Reaper, save files as mp3 and add them to my music library to benefit from the improved sound quality from the CD amplifier setup.The amplifier has two 1/4 in. / RCA stereo output connectors.
I am able to record through my laptop 1/8 in. audio input into Reaper and create mp3 files.
westan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:40 PM   #2
hopi

try a simple cable adapter... one that has the 1/8" stereo on one end and the two L and R rca's on the other end.... radio shack used to have good ones...

there is also a kewl universal adaptor that has every possible audio connection on it and that would work also
Old 06-05-2017, 05:32 PM   #3
prezbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by westan View Post
Recently I was given a Crown XLS-1500 amplifier and a TASCAM CD-200. The sound quality of my CDs in this setup is superior to my laptop setup.
Is there a way to record the Crown amplifier output to my laptop using Reaper, save files as mp3 and add them to my music library to benefit from the improved sound quality from the CD amplifier setup.The amplifier has two 1/4 in. / RCA stereo output connectors.
I am able to record through my laptop 1/8 in. audio input into Reaper and create mp3 files.
Um.....that's gonna be terribly exciting. For about a second- which is about as long as your input on your laptop is going to last once you hit it with an amplified signal.

So- what I'm saying is that you don't want to do that.

What you'll need to do is run the CD player's headphone out to the input on your laptop. If you run it from the power amp, you'll be sending an amplified signal into your laptop, and I can tell you that you really won't like the outcome.

I understand that you like the sound coming from the power amp, but what you don't have in that signal chain is an A/D converter other than the CD player itself. It's not the amplifier you like- it's the CD player. Try running your output as I described above and yes, you'll get a pretty decent recording of your CD player, assuming that your laptop's input is any good- and assuming you haven't already tried running the power amp in to your laptop.
prezbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:33 PM   #4
Andywanders

If you just want to save files from a CD to your music library, you'd be better off bypassing all D/A to A/D conversion by simply ripping the tracks with any decent media player.

Just pop the CD into your computer and open your media player. Look for "Import from CD" or something similar.

Andy M. VST
Andywanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:52 AM   #5
hopi

oh yeah everyone is correct... my bad... too hot a signal from the amp will be a bad thing going into your 1/8 input....

and yes, ripping off the CD first is way better...

are you on a PC? dbPoweramp is a nice tool for ripping and also for converting audio files.... but there are others... try a google search for free ones....
Old 06-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #6
cyrano

If it sounds better, there must be some speakers in this story?

I'll bet you 90% of what you're hearing are those speakers.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:02 AM   #7
westan

Default Recording in Reaper

Based on feedback from you guys I was able to save my laptop 1/8 in. IN port from the high voltage / current levels from my amp that I was about to record the output of.
Fast forward to a new Dell laptop (INSP 15-7000) and only after purchasing realise that these laptops no longer have two 1/8 in. ports (IN and OUT).The single 1/8 in. port is OUT only. There is now no way to record from a radio using its 1/8 in. audio OUT to the laptops 1/8 in. IN port into Reaper. I am now looking for a male 1/8 in. to USB cable to try out the laptop's USB port instead. Does anyone have experience with this ?
westan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:50 AM   #8
prezbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by westan View Post
I am now looking for a male 1/8 in. to USB cable to try out the laptop's USB port instead. Does anyone have experience with this ?
Ummm....good luck with that. USB cables don't carry audio like the 1/8" jack does.

You may have said in an earlier post (and I'm too lazy to go and look) but why are you recording to only the onboard input on the laptop instead of an actual audio interface? You can get them pretty cheaply and USB ones are plentiful- and they sound WAY better than a line-level input on a soundcard does.
prezbass is offline   Reply With Quote