Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 01-20-2021, 07:40 PM   #1
drockfresh
Human being with feelings

Default Why no plug and play Control Surfaces designed for Reaper?

I love Reaper but am building a new mix desk and need hardware control.

I still have a PT license and have concluded the advantage of Pro-Tools is the Eucon protocol and plug-and-play hardware controllers like the S1.

Actually, that's what Presonus is trying to do with studio one and the faderport.

Why is there no company building mix surfaces for Reaper?!!

All these threads about hardware control get so complicated.

I wish there was a simple, plug-and-play quality hardware controller!

Any suggestions?
drockfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:26 PM   #2
Nick Morris

You’re going to have to wait for plug and play. There isn’t really a great situation in reaper for controllers unless you use CSI and that is not plug and play at all.

You’ll probably not like the answer/advice, but if you need to use control surfaces, it’s in your best interest to discover and implement CSI. Bite the bullet and dive in.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:35 PM   #3
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
You’re going to have to wait for plug and play. There isn’t really a great situation in reaper for controllers unless you use CSI and that is not plug and play at all.

You’ll probably not like the answer/advice, but if you need to use control surfaces, it’s in your best interest to discover and implement CSI. Bite the bullet and dive in.
+1

CSI is pretty close to plug and play if you don't intend on doing customization to a surface that already has a mapping publicly available. And once you get into Reaper+CSI and really start to get it, Reaper goes from being one of the worst DAWs with control surface support to better than anything else in the marketplace by far. That's not hyperbole. What you can do with Reaper+CSI and a couple of control surfaces is unmatched in the DAW world.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:50 PM   #4
GameAudioRvlzzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
that's what Presonus is trying to do with studio one and the faderport.

Why is there no company building mix surfaces for Reaper?!!
There is, that company is Presonus. The Faderport is afaik supported natively by Reaper. You seem to fancy it, why not get that one?
GameAudioRvlzzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 03:03 AM   #5
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
I wish there was a simple, plug-and-play quality hardware controller!
Same would support a single dedicated workflow, only suitable for some.
AFAIK, the Behringer "X-Touch" (which one ? ) comes with a set of covers + firmware options for different DAWS, one of them for Reaper.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 03:35 PM   #6
teleute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameAudioRvlzzr View Post
There is, that company is Presonus. The Faderport is afaik supported natively by Reaper. You seem to fancy it, why not get that one?
I made that assumption about the `Faderport 2` after all its listed in reapers `control surface modes` menu.

But turns out the function is quite reduced from what it can offer in other DAW's.

So I still ended up using CSI and writing a new script for it, but after doing that i realised i could customise it even more, so now im really glad i had to take that route, but has been a couple of days of head scratching to get it how i wanted.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:51 PM   #7
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleute View Post
I made that assumption about the `Faderport 2` after all its listed in reapers `control surface modes` menu.

But turns out the function is quite reduced from what it can offer in other DAW's.

So I still ended up using CSI and writing a new script for it, but after doing that i realised i could customise it even more, so now im really glad i had to take that route, but has been a couple of days of head scratching to get it how i wanted.
The CSI route takes a small bit of figuring out in order to get it up and running and begin customizing your setup, but it's really worth the effort. Once it clicks, it's insane what you can do to customize your surface. Then you can start adding in other surfaces and combining them, or creating different pages in CSI with completely different mappings for different tasks/workflows or introducing OSC controllers into the mix...

There's literally no other DAW on the market than can touch what Reaper+CSI can do for hardware integration (when it comes to MIDI, MCU, EuCon and OSC - doesn't support HUI or Komplete Kontrol or legacy protocols).
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:49 PM   #8
Deadkeys

Default Reaper Control

I have been looking into this for weeks...
I have come up with a version of this guys video...except instead of the fader port use the Xtouch 1 and the Novastation Launchpad Mini. I have been able to do a tone of shortcusts with it in conjuction with the X touch for track a DAW control.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTGlx57mJc0&t=1s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
The CSI route takes a small bit of figuring out in order to get it up and running and begin customizing your setup, but it's really worth the effort. Once it clicks, it's insane what you can do to customize your surface. Then you can start adding in other surfaces and combining them, or creating different pages in CSI with completely different mappings for different tasks/workflows or introducing OSC controllers into the mix...

There's literally no other DAW on the market than can touch what Reaper+CSI can do for hardware integration (when it comes to MIDI, MCU, EuCon and OSC - doesn't support HUI or Komplete Kontrol or legacy protocols).
Deadkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 05:37 AM   #9
SteveK_Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadkeys View Post
I have been looking into this for weeks...
I have come up with a version of this guys video...except instead of the fader port use the Xtouch 1 and the Novastation Launchpad Mini. I have been able to do a tone of shortcusts with it in conjuction with the X touch for track a DAW control.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTGlx57mJc0&t=1s
unfortunately this video is not of any help. This guy is just showing what fancy automations he made but does not explain how he did it (i.e. what do you need to do to make this work?).

I have a Launchpad X and use it with Reaper for basic things. It allows to assign individual midi notes and CC sends to each pad. No MCP support (at least I could not find anything). I did not get into the actions topic yet but it seems like this is key to use it for more complex things.
SteveK_Germany is offline   Reply With Quote