Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 03-11-2020, 11:13 AM   #1
cool
Human being with feelings

Default [Update] MKSlicer 3.22 - lua script for quick slicing, quantizing and more

МАНУАЛ НА РУССКОМ ЗДЕСЬ: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=232914

MK Slicer - this is a lua script for quick slicing, quantizing by grid, re-quantizing, triggering or sampling audio. This script is based on the work of several people - its heart is Drum Trigger by eugen2777, export to RS5k function appeared thanks to MPL (who wrote the script for this function) and Anton (MyDaw) who connected these two scripts together and added a bit of magic. Later, I (with an invaluable help of the almighty Archie) optimized all this, set it up, simplified the interface and added a few handy features which quicken the process of audio editing.

Features:
  • Advanced detector. Thanks to filters and good visualization, you can precisely cut even material in which transients are not initially visualized.
  • Quick Slicing or placing Markers (by Transients or by Grid).
  • One click Quantize by Grid. Without gaps, clicks and artificial duplication of items.
  • Ability to work with multitracks. Slices and quantizes your multitrack drums phase-accurate, quickly and without pain. Items in the multitrack will be automatically grouped.
  • Re-Quantizing. When quantizing with a grid larger than the step of the transients, you can re-quantize your loops to get unique material.
  • Random - a function for randomizing slices and some of their parameters. Ideal for uniqualization, humanization and creation of new parts.
  • One click sampling and exporting into RS5k.
  • Trigger. Easy conversion of rhythmic parts to midi patterns with accurate velocity reproduction.
  • Pitch detection: the ability to convert simple single-voiced parts and drums to midi.
  • Tempo detection, item rate change to adapt to project tempo. Ability to create a tempo map from an item.
  • Adaptive initial settings (thanks, Anton!). Upon initialization, the script sets the View Gain, Threshold, and Retrig settings depending on the material and tempo of the project.

Requirements:

Actual versions REAPER and SWS. Not tested with older versions.

Review and Tutorials:

How to Install and Usage MKSicer 3 by Learning Reaper:
https://youtu.be/oa-81nimeb8

Video 1 (Main): https://youtu.be/fdhSaO0a76Q

Video 2 (Update 1.3): https://youtu.be/Zogp6T6IAWQ

Video 3 (Update 2.0): https://youtu.be/p9vxqX5H6lE

Video 4 (Update 2.5): https://youtu.be/-MbULv0_wzg

Video 5 (Update 3.0): https://youtu.be/cLg_4rMhG3U

Instructions for use:

1. Select an item or several items. If items on multiple tracks are selected, only the top one will be analyzed. If several items are selected on the same track, they will be glued together.
2. Run the script.
3. Do your work.
4. To cancel an actions, use Reset or just Ctrl + Z. Reset sliders to default: Ctrl + Click. Fine tune: Shift + Drag(or MouseWheel). Exit the script: Esc, Space - Play.

On Waveform Area:
- Mouswheel or Left/Right keys - Horizontal Zoom,
- Ctrl(Shift)+Mouswheel or Up/Down keys - Vertical Zoom,
- Left or Middle Drag - Move View (Horizontal Scroll),
- Left Click - Set Edit Cursor,
- Left Drag Small Flag - Move Marker,
- Ctrl+Left Drag - Change Velocity,
- Right Click on Marker - Delete Marker,
- Right Click on Empty Space - Insert Marker.

Alternative option:

1. Do not select the items before running the script. Run the script.
2. Select the required item(s) and click the "Get Item" button.
3. etc

Working with multitrack:

0. Before starting the work, I recommend you to create a guide track - usually a mixdown kick, snare and toms tracks together in one track. This track will be used as a “lead” for the detector to operate more accurately. After the work is completed, you can delete it.
1. Select items. If items on multiple tracks are selected, only the top one will be analyzed.
2. Run the script.
3. Do your work. When a slicing or placing markers occurs on a multitrack, items will be automatically added to Groups.

Important.

For the machanism Reset to operate correctly and for the operations on-the-fly to follow each other smoothly, it is OBLIGATORY for the items to start from the beginning of the bar. Additionaly, I don't recommend to change selection manually or do anything with the items while the script is working.

Sometimes a script applies glue to items. For example, when several items are selected or when a MIDI is created in a sampler mode.

What does Reset button do?
"Reset" reverts the items to their original state. It is actually an undo of all manipulations you have done with the help of Slice, SliceQ, Markers, MarkersQ or Random. Similarly Reset will work every time you push the buttons. For example, if you press Markers after Slice, Reset will do its work in between: the item will be restored to its initial state and then markers will be added.

Perfomance tips.
The script is quite well optimized and will work quickly even on slow systems, but there are things that are important to know.
If the item Rate is changed, this will noticeably slow down the script. On large projects, you can pre-make glue for items with a changed Rate to increase the speed of script work.
The speed of the script also depends on the amount of processed material. Long parts and a large number of tracks in a multitrack can significantly slow down an old computer. If you work with large trackings, I recommend to process them in parts - blocks of 30-60sec.
Addition tip: how to decrease script start time.

Recommendations for settings and usage:

Most of the default settings are set to be suitable for a large amount of material so that you could successfully detect transients immediately out of the box.
For percussions and plucked string instruments, the Low Cut boost to 2500Hz+ often works well.
For multitrack live drums (Kick and Snare guide track), Low Cut 200Hz and Hi Cut 4500Hz settings are well suited.
For the lowest tones, such as SubBass, SubKick or 808 bass, I recommend to lower the value of Low Cut to 20-60Hz.
The colours of the original waveform and filtered are different, this allows you to see what part of the signal you want to send to the detector.
Please note: the settings of the filters and levels do not affect the sound in any way, this is just what comes to the detector!

Sensitivity, Retrig and Reduce are not the most important settings but they may be handy in your work when the Threshold and Filters controls are not enough.
If you need more sensitivity, you can reduce the value of Sensitivity parameter. Sometimes increase by one point can help to detect additional transients. And on the opposite - when the parameter is reduct, it helps to reduce sensitivity.
Retrig is similar to the previous parameter, it is also resolution but working "horizontally". If you have many transients you don't want next to the main ones, you can increase the value of this parameter to fix this. Good for claps, DI guitars, etc.
Reduce - reduces the number of transients, from the quietest sounds (when the slider is on the right) to the loudest (the slider is on the left). In trigger mode, when the Velocity circles are displayed, its operation is clearly visible.
Note: the Range slider does not affect the Reduce action, despite the fact that it visually displaces the Velocity levels.

I recommend to use markers to quantize melodic parts and slices to percussion and multitracks.

Sampler Presets - Attack/Release presets for samplers.
Percussive: Attack 2 ms, Release 10ms. Good to reduce clicks.
Melodic: Attack 0.1 ms, Release 1ms. Good to reduce gaps.
Note: "Percussive" preset attack does not affect audible attacks as the fade-in occurs before the transients.

Modes when creating midi:
"Create" each time creates a new track below the original one and places a MIDI item on it.
"Replace" overwrites the MIDI item on the track below the original. If there is no track below or an audio item is placed, a new track will be created. If there is already a MIDI item on the track below it, it will be overwritten within the original item. In Pitch Detection mode, all notes are overwritten; in Trigger mode, only the note selected in the Notes menu is overwritten.
Additional modes for Pitch Detection:
"No Midi" - Adds note names to audio items.
"No Midi C" - Adds note names to audio items and colorizes items.

Some menu ">" items:

Split at Zero Crossings - cuts the wave at the zero point. Eliminates clicks, but does not cut accurately, this is especially noticeable on stereo items. It will work well for you if you don't use fades and only work with mono items.

Set Item Fades On Splits
- after cutting, fades are added to the item with the length specified in the Reaper options (Media Item Defaults - Create automatic fade/in fade/out for new items). The script option will work regardless of whether the option is activated in the Reaper.
This parameter has no effect on the MIDI Sampler action.

Start the Script or 'Get Item' Obeying Time Selection, if any - if this option is active, the script will take into account Time Selection during initialization. If the option is disabled, the script will work only with selected items, ignoring Time Selection.

Time Selection Require Item(s) Selection is related to the previous option. If it is active, the script will work with the selected items within the Time Selection. If it is not active, the script will ignore the selection of items, working only on Time Selection on the selected track.

The manual for the Random feature is here: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=178

The manual for the Pitch Detection feature is here: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=278

The manual for the Tempo Detection feature is here: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=331

The script is available in ReaPack.

Do not forget that the script is developed and supported only thanks to your donations. Please donate.

DONATION (BuyMeACoffee)
DONATION (YooMoney)

Last edited by cool; 02-09-2024 at 10:44 AM.
cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:59 AM   #2
TonE

Thanks for sharing, sounds and looks great.

Improvement ideas:
- mousewheel modification of values, without required clicking
- shift-mousewheel for fine adjustments (for example)
- MIDI: RS5k could look before assigning midi notes, how many RS5k are already available in that track, then starting from that number, and not starting each time with pitch = 0. Could be also interesting for overlapping samples but usually this is not wanted I guess.
- Option to open in docked state.

Last edited by TonE; 03-12-2020 at 01:58 AM.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:34 PM   #3
todd_r

I've been using the MyDAW slicer for a while, and things looks like a brilliant upgrade. Cant wait to try it out!
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:27 PM   #4
X-Raym

Very very impressive for a first script well done !!

Do you consider sharing via reapack ? It will be easier to share update with this system
Let us know if you need assistance to set it up.

Thx for sharing !

EDIT: the main core advantage is the frequency analyses filter before splitting. This helps makes cleaner results a lot !
BUt I feel I have a lots of thing to discover with this script. And compare with regular dynamic split as well.

Last edited by X-Raym; 03-11-2020 at 03:38 PM.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:07 AM   #5
cool

Thank you, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Improvement ideas:
- mousewheel modification of values, without required clicking
- shift-mousewheel for fine adjustments (for example)
- MIDI: RS5k could look before assigning midi notes, how many RS5k are already available in that track, then starting from that number, and not starting each time with pitch = 0. Could be also interesting for overlapping samples but usually this is not wanted I guess.
Sounds interesting, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
Do you consider sharing via reapack ? It will be easier to share update with this system
Let us know if you need assistance to set it up.
Thank you!

Good idea!
I have long had a profile on Github and I have already tried to upload some scripts: https://github.com/cool9-MK/ReaScripts
But right now I don’t know how to get xml file (or xml link?) for ReaPack.
Maybe there is some kind of manual for beginners?
Old 03-12-2020, 01:11 AM   #6
cfillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool View Post
I have long had a profile on Github and I have already tried to upload some scripts: https://github.com/cool9-MK/ReaScripts
But right now I don’t know how to get xml file (or xml link?) for ReaPack.
Maybe there is some kind of manual for beginners?
https://reapack.com/upload
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:15 AM   #7
vanhaze

Hey Cool, that script is so Cool Thanks a Bunch !
I will wait for it to be released via ReaPack, hope you can do that succesfully.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:49 AM   #8
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Very nice, thank you !
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:05 AM   #9
cool

You're welcome, guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
Ah, that’s pretty simple! Thanks, done
Old 03-12-2020, 04:13 AM   #10
drummerboy

Yes! Thank you!
Just when I thought it was time to hire an assistant for editing

So far it works wonderful - I'll report back when I did some jobs with it!

Best,
Frank

Edit:
- Shift-Mousewheel doesn't seem to work for scrolling horizontally on my Mac
- Quantize in % would be very cool. I very rarely go for 100% to grid

Last edited by drummerboy; 03-12-2020 at 04:19 AM.
drummerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:34 AM   #11
cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
Yes! Thank you!
Just when I thought it was time to hire an assistant for editing

So far it works wonderful - I'll report back when I did some jobs with it!

Best,
Frank

Edit:
- Shift-Mousewheel doesn't seem to work for scrolling horizontally on my Mac
- Quantize in % would be very cool. I very rarely go for 100% to grid
Thank You!
Yes, I think quantization is the first thing to improve. One of the problems right now is the inability to correctly quantize if the grid is swinged. Unfortunately, at the moment there are no built-in actions in the Reaper that can quantize items on a grid if it is swinged. I need to create something from scratch, but it's not easy, I'm not the best programmer.
But I like this direction, this is really the thing that is worth improving.

Unfortunately, I completely forgot about Mac. The bad news here is that I don’t have access to the Mac to test the script.

UPDATE: It seems that the script for quantization on a swing grid and its strength in % is already ready. At least the first tests went well and the draft version can already do something.

Last edited by cool; 03-12-2020 at 05:37 AM.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:44 AM   #12
mccrabney

cool! FR - bulk-set per-slice looping/crossfading
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:46 AM   #13
X-Raym

I advice you to use reapack-index to create your own .xml reapack file on your own repo

https://github.com/cfillion/reapack-index/wiki

The cfillion upload tool can help you woth formatting your package metadata but as you have only one script it should be relatively simple compared to all you have already done ^^

cfillion tool is also nice if you prefer to commit on ReaTeam public repository.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:37 AM   #14
cool

Quote:
I advice you to use reapack-index to create your own .xml reapack file on your own repo

https://github.com/cfillion/reapack-index/wiki

The cfillion upload tool can help you woth formatting your package metadata but as you have only one script it should be relatively simple compared to all you have already done ^^

cfillion tool is also nice if you prefer to commit on ReaTeam public repository.

Thank you!
Old 03-12-2020, 07:14 AM   #15
Infrabass

Awesome script!
Any plan to add a gate option like the original dynamic splitter to be able to remove silence too?
Infrabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:05 AM   #16
Indiscipline

Looks very nice, but only hard-quantizing is a dealbreaker for me. From my point of view, splitting is not the hardest problem usually, but quantizing preserving some part of the natural groove is.

I made a FR thread that got zero attention here, unfortunately, which boils down to measuring deltas from a given hit to the selected grid and moving it to the amount dependant on this delta, giving user the control over the dependence curves.

Control mock-up:

A: The further the hit is from the grid line, the heavier it's quantized, resulting in a more uniform and steady time feel.
B: We keep the rushed hits (-49 to 0 %) more or less alone, heavily quantizing the lagged ones (0 to 50 %). Pretty random choice.
C: Uniformly quantize rushed hits 50% closer to the grid, and soft quantize lagged hits, keeping the most outstanding hits (presumably, drummer's lagging snare hits) in place, but moving the closer one nearer the grid. Should produce a strong laid-back feel for that sweet soul ballad.
Attached Images
File Type: png q-curves.png (6.4 KB, 23468 views)
Indiscipline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:50 AM   #17
cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiscipline View Post
Looks very nice, but only hard-quantizing is a dealbreaker for me. From my point of view, splitting is not the hardest problem usually, but quantizing preserving some part of the natural groove is.

I made a FR thread that got zero attention here, unfortunately, which boils down to measuring deltas from a given hit to the selected grid and moving it to the amount dependant on this delta, giving user the control over the dependence curves.

Control mock-up:

A: The further the hit is from the grid line, the heavier it's quantized, resulting in a more uniform and steady time feel.
B: We keep the rushed hits (-49 to 0 %) more or less alone, heavily quantizing the lagged ones (0 to 50 %). Pretty random choice.
C: Uniformly quantize rushed hits 50% closer to the grid, and soft quantize lagged hits, keeping the most outstanding hits (presumably, drummer's lagging snare hits) in place, but moving the closer one nearer the grid. Should produce a strong laid-back feel for that sweet soul ballad.
Thanks for the interesting thoughts. At the moment, it seems to me too complex and difficult to achieve. Although it sounds pretty interesting.

There is good news. I have created and am testing a new quantization engine right now. With a strength slider from 0 to 100% and the ability to quantize items on a swing grid.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:56 AM   #18
todd_r

Love it! There is one thing I'd like that would make things easier, click on a segment to hear the slice!

Thanks for your work, feels like we have a proper slicer now
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:40 AM   #19
X-Raym

Quote:
Looks very nice, but only hard-quantizing is a dealbreaker for me.
It shouldn't be. The core of this script is the audio analyses part for splitting.

You can split with this script and use other tools to do your quantization. MPL has some advanced stuff in this regards, with percentage based quantization etc.

@cool
Not that the Slice action is influenced by the two options;

Option: toggle auto crossfade at split
and option: auto toggle enable/disable default fadein/fadeout

IMHO this should be togglagle from the script to be more predictable (especially for people who haven't set this options in their main toolbar).

The best per default is to have all off with this script I suppose, and maybe with an adjustable fade length.

Here is if I don't deactivate my auto fadei,/fadeout option.

Note for some reason if auto crossfade is activated, it seems to just make reaper hang forever... I wonder if this is a script issue or a REAPER one. (note : I use the Non destructive version).
Old 03-12-2020, 02:29 PM   #20
J Reverb

Thanks cool !
Can we have an option to just create a chromatic output for midi part without RS5K ? I would like to use another sampler but keep the midi part chromatic. Maybe another option in midi button?

For me this one of the things missing from Dynamic split.
Thanks for all your hard work on this it opens up a lot of doors.
Great stuff !!
J Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:01 PM   #21
kovarny

Can you turn off the fade in and fade outs during quantization?
kovarny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:11 PM   #22
amagalma

Very nice! Thank you very much!

I am mostly interested in the splitting part as I find the native dynamic splitting to be lacking.

It is really cool that we can see the results of the pre-detection filtering! A couple of ideas/requests for you to consider:

- in addition to the low and high pass, could we have one parametric bell filter too? It could be useful in order to boost the transient range

- furthermore, could we have a basic automatic gain compensation or probably a manual one (easier to implement) for the filtered signal? So, we can match and better compare the original and the filtered visuals in order to check if our equalization improves or worsens the transient detection.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:33 PM   #23
cool

Thank you, guys!

Now the script is available in ReaPack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrabass View Post
Awesome script!
Any plan to add a gate option like the original dynamic splitter to be able to remove silence too?
Not planned. But, it is a good idea!

Quote:

Here is if I don't deactivate my auto fadei,/fadeout option.

Note for some reason if auto crossfade is activated, it seems to just make reaper hang forever... I wonder if this is a script issue or a REAPER one. (note : I use the Non destructive version).

Hm. I can't reproduce this. Even if autocrossfades are disabled, I get the same (correct) result.
Can you describe step by step how to get this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
- furthermore, could we have a basic automatic gain compensation or probably a manual one (easier to implement) for the filtered signal? So, we can match and better compare the original and the filtered visuals in order to check if our equalization improves or worsens the transient detection.

It is implemented right now. The input signal is compensated in such a way that items with a level of -20 to 0dB are displayed approximately in full scale vertically. Also, for manual adjustment there is a View Gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovarny View Post
Can you turn off the fade in and fade outs during quantization?

Good question. But why? To make any change to the script, I need the importance of practical application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Reverb View Post
Thanks cool !
Can we have an option to just create a chromatic output for midi part without RS5K ? I would like to use another sampler but keep the midi part chromatic. Maybe another option in midi button?
You're welcome

Not planned. But, you can get rid of the RS5K right now by clicking Alt + LMB on the FX button on the TCP.

Last edited by cool; 03-12-2020 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:17 PM   #24
Vagelis

This is great, thank you very much!
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 12:32 AM   #25
kovarny

Quote:
Thank you, guys!

Good question. But why? To make any change to the script, I need the importance of practical application.
'Cause I don't need this. This is an imposed problem.
Fade in kills transients. Starts to sound "milno"
Ultimately, this is a Reaper DAW that is famous for its lack of restrictions.
kovarny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:17 AM   #26
amagalma

Quote:
It is implemented right now. The input signal is compensated in such a way that items with a level of -20 to 0dB are displayed approximately in full scale vertically. Also, for manual adjustment there is a View Gain.
What is implemented applies to both the original and filtered waveforms. I am talking about an additional gain that applies only to the filtered waveform so that we can match it better to the original.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:25 AM   #27
cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovarny View Post
'Cause I don't need this. This is an imposed problem.
Fade in kills transients. Starts to sound "milno"
Ultimately, this is a Reaper DAW that is famous for its lack of restrictions.
Мыльно, думаю, это soapy

В следующей версии будет возможность устанавливать длину кроссфейдов, хоть до 0. Но, просто для информации: в этом скрипте кроссфейды ставятся ПЕРЕД транзиентами, не затрагивая их.

Eng
In the next version it will be possible to set any length of crossfades, at least up to 0. But, just for information: in this script, crossfades are set BEFORE transients, without affecting them.

Quote:

What is implemented applies to both the original and filtered waveforms. I am talking about an additional gain that applies only to the filtered waveform so that we can match it better to the original.
I understood. All that has been done now is the maximum of my capabilities. In my tests, if the input level is in the range of -20 - 0 dB, there are no problems with the visualization. If you need more overall gain, you can use Shift + Wheel to increase the waveform vertical size. To change the difference between the blue and red waves, there is a View Gain slider.

Last edited by cool; 03-13-2020 at 01:37 AM.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:47 AM   #28
amagalma

Quote:
I understood. All that has been done now is the maximum of my capabilities. In my tests, if the input level is in the range of -20 - 0 dB, there are no problems with the visualization. If you need more overall gain, you can use Shift + Wheel to increase the waveform vertical size. To change the difference between the blue and red waves, there is a View Gain slider.

Oh man, I am sorry! :/ You are right! What I was asking is already there! I don't know what I was doing yesterday night while being sleepy and got so confused! Sorry again and thank you!
Old 03-13-2020, 01:57 AM   #29
cool

Quote:
Oh man, I am sorry! :/ You are right! What I was asking is already there! I don't know what I was doing yesterday night while being sleepy and got so confused! Sorry again and thank you!

No problem
Old 03-13-2020, 03:40 AM   #30
X-Raym

Quote:
Thank you, guys!

Hm. I can't reproduce this. Even if autocrossfades are disabled, I get the same (correct) result.
Can you describe step by step how to get this?

Oh it is easy,
Juts toggle on/off the mentionned Option :P

https://i.imgur.com/W7uCarA.gifv

Of course you need to have a default fadein-fadeout length different than 0 in this case.

(not for some reason and for the first time REAPER didn't hang forever when clickin on Split while auto fade activated (the second option I activate in the screenshot). so pretty sure it still have to be deactivated by the script before split.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:08 AM   #31
vanhaze

I tried the script on a complete disco track which has slight drifting in it's tempo.
With the intention to quantize the kickdrums to 1/4 grid.
I therefore used the 2 filter frequency knobs to just detect transients in the 50 hz-150 hz area.(the kicks).
But this was not really succesful ; the detection was still all over the place.
i am aware that it's problaby very difficult to dectect just and only kickdrums in a complete track.
On the other hand, maybe i am doing something wrong or i am missing something.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:34 AM   #32
TonE

Hmm,normally it should work. Maybe wrong settings? Time again for Youtube?
The other trick would be duplicating your original, EQ'ing it so you hear only what you want to hear, render, then applying MK Slicer.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:10 AM   #33
vanhaze

The other trick would be duplicating your original, EQ'ing it so you hear only what you want to hear, render, then applying MK Slicer.

This is a great tip, thx !
So what i did:

- Inserted ReaEQ as an Item FX on the Disco Track.
- Set low shelf to around 50 hz.
- Opened MK Slicer and set Low Cut to 50 hz and High Cut to 100 hz.

Outcome: Only markers on the Kickdrums in the Disco Track: spot on !
This is really amazing.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:25 AM   #34
TonE

My idea was actually using item fx, exactly as you did, but as I did not test it myself, I just wrote as 'duplication technique'.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:30 AM   #35
vanhaze

Thumbs up 4U !

I was unsure if the script would take Item FX on an Audio Item into account, meaning:
analyzing transients after the Item FX, but luckily enough, it seems it does.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:31 AM   #36
G-Sun

Looking very good
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:45 AM   #37
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
I was unsure if the script would take Item FX on an Audio Item into account, meaning:
analyzing transients after the Item FX, but luckily enough, it seems it does.
Saving us the rendering step, great.

The real question is how to get the velocity emphasized midi output? Here all notes have same velocity or does this feature not exist here?

I am asking because of this:
"Good old Trigger. Easy conversion of rhythmic parts to midi patterns with accurate velocity reproduction."

Last edited by TonE; 03-14-2020 at 02:51 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:42 AM   #38
cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post

This is a great tip, thx !
So what i did:

- Inserted ReaEQ as an Item FX on the Disco Track.
- Set low shelf to around 50 hz.
- Opened MK Slicer and set Low Cut to 50 hz and High Cut to 100 hz.

Outcome: Only markers on the Kickdrums in the Disco Track: spot on !
This is really amazing.
An interesting discovery! It’s worth adopting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Saving us the rendering step, great.

The real question is how to get the velocity emphasized midi output? Here all notes have same velocity or does this feature not exist here?

I am asking because of this:
"Good old Trigger. Easy conversion of rhythmic parts to midi patterns with accurate velocity reproduction."

"Good old" - because it repeats the functionality of the original script Velocity is always assigned automatically, depending on the "strength" of each transient.This function is always active.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:08 AM   #39
Zeno

Wow! Thanks Cool, for this great script!

Little remark:
It would be an enrichment if MK slicer remembers the docking status and its dock position.
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:01 AM   #40
TonE

Quote:
"Good old" - because it repeats the functionality of the original script Velocity is always assigned automatically, depending on the "strength" of each transient.This function is always active.
Here it is not working then, I do not see any velocity differences.