Old 01-11-2021, 07:23 AM   #1
randall7
Human being with feelings

Default How to render to somevideo.mp4 ???

When I render a video from Reaper I always choose the QT/MPEG/MOV and end up with a somevideo.mov Is there a way though to render so I end up wiht a somevideo.mp4 video format instead of .mov ?
Old 01-11-2021, 07:45 AM   #2
ninjedi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by randall7 View Post
Is there a way though to render so I end up wiht a somevideo.mp4 video format instead of .mov ?

Hello- sure,just pop a .mp4 after the file name and it should update the output file format in box below that?
ninjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:05 AM   #3
randall7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjedi View Post
Hello- sure,just pop a .mp4 after the file name and it should update the output file format in box below that?
Fortunately, and Unfortunately, that worked. So the video rendered as mp4 when I gave the filename the extension of .mp4. But when I upload it to my Wordpress site or even have my google chrome browser play it, the video is just a black screen. VLC media player on my PC can play it and there is no black screen, there is an actual video. The thing is, Wordpress just shows the black screen, and if I use the .mov default rendering Wordpress will not even play that if inserted into a page. I have other .mp4 videos on my Wordpress that play fine, but they were rendered from e.g. Sony Vegas or Davinci Resolve, not Reaper. Frustrating.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:57 AM   #4
randall7

Quote:
Fortunately, and Unfortunately, that worked. So the video rendered as mp4 when I gave the filename the extension of .mp4. But when I upload it to my Wordpress site or even have my google chrome browser play it, the video is just a black screen. VLC media player on my PC can play it and there is no black screen, there is an actual video. The thing is, Wordpress just shows the black screen, and if I use the .mov default rendering Wordpress will not even play that if inserted into a page. I have other .mp4 videos on my Wordpress that play fine, but they were rendered from e.g. Sony Vegas or Davinci Resolve, not Reaper. Frustrating.
I am thinking maybe I figure out a Windows 10 command line command using ffmpeg (I have that installed) to transcode the Reaper video output to a format that Davinci Resolve is using and that WordPress can then use. As it stands, the video renders from Reaper are not compatible with the current Wordpress version--a shame because Wordpress is quite popular.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:10 PM   #5
clepsydrae

I don't think Wordpress is relevant here -- the issue would be what files your browser can/can't play. So if you open the video file directly with Chrome or Firefox or whatever, you should get the same result you got via Wordpress (unless you're talking about the hosted services wordpress provides and they're doing some kind of transcoding or something that I'm not aware of.) Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

As much as I love ffmpeg and use it all the time, I've had better compatibility luck by rendering to uncompressed (or high-bitrate) formats and then encoding to h.264/mp4 using Handbrake. [edit: I don't use video in reaper -- I'm talking generally, here.]

VLC (which I also love and use all the time) typically does a great job being able to play something where other players just give up, which is awesome but can lead you to believe that a video file is fine when it is not.

I think your reaper->resolve->wordpress route will work, but rendering to something that resolve can read is not always easy -- it's not really designed to read a wide variety of formats; it focuses more on professional codecs and the like. I have some tips for that if you need them. I'm on Win 8 and resolve on Win 10 might be better/easier about this... for me I have to be careful about how I render in order to have resolve pick up the file OK (certain color space, certain chroma subsampling, etc.)

You could also post a short demo video somewhere and folks could see if they find an issue with it.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 01:13 PM   #6
ninjedi
Banned

Quote:
Frustrating.

Hello- O well,welcome to the world of wonders and mysteries
Old 01-11-2021, 01:19 PM   #7
clepsydrae

Yeah... video codecs are hideously complicated under the hood. In part it's due to the fact that it's a hard, complex problem and we ask the world of these codecs, and in part it's due to a history of cruft and bad design decisions, politics, patents, etc. There's so much more going on under the hood than people realize (myself included) and the fact that any of these files play at all is kind of a miracle. An "mp4" file can mean a million different things, with a million nuanced variations to each of those things. Pity the developers that have to handle all this stuff so we can take videos of our cats and put them on instagram.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:51 PM   #8
ninjedi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Pity the developers that have to handle all this stuff so we can take videos of our cats and put them on instagram.

Hello- well that is a big lol- these silly cats get ALL the glory! gahh prrrrrrr pussies.

It's 1 thing i like about the reason devs- they write their own stuff,like timestretching algor,rex formatting,plugin sandboxing and remote codecs etc etc..so no 3rd party software is really needed,it's all done in house (even though they do not include video writing)
If* cockos wrote everything to render,encode and decode- they can maintain and develop more to suit their users needs over time,easier to fix any known bugs and as some companies and plugin devs just abandon stuff real quick.
Cockos wrote rearoute asio- am almost sure they could do this if they wanted..maybe?
Old 01-11-2021, 04:58 PM   #9
clepsydrae

I have no doubt Cockos would do a great job writing codecs from scratch, but I would bet a million dollars it's not even on their "maybe someday" list. :-) It would be a huge undertaking for very little reward.

Akin to why nobody should implement time keeping code themselves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wpm-gesOY

That said, I wish Cockos wrote all the code I use. Maybe someday they'll hire 4000 people and they'll get into operating systems and cell phone apps and device drivers and image processing and web browsers. :-)

That also said, they did implement a score editor, which I never expected in a million years, so who knows what they have up their sleeves.