Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 01-24-2021, 02:52 PM   #1
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

Default lv2 prerelease discussion

Here's a thread to discuss the recently added lv2 support. Please post bug reports and feedback here.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:54 PM   #2
Jack Winter

A heads up, as of v6.21+dev0124 the guitarix plugins seem to work. Good news for people on Linux looking for a guitar amp and fx emulation.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 01-24-2021, 03:24 PM   #3
Glennbo

I'll move this from the main thread then.

I'm seeing some LV2 plugins popping up both the GUI and non-GUI versions at the same time. In this case, the spectrum analyzer works, but the panel on the left must also be open, and the values for it's sliders change in conjunction with the spectrum display.

Closing the non-GUI panel causes the GUI panel to stop updating.

Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:34 PM   #4
JamesPeters

v6.21+dev0124, on Manjaro 20.2.1:

-Calf doesn't work for me. Before it crashed Reaper immediately if I tried to load any plugin. Now it tries to load a plugin and hangs indefinitely so that I have to kill Reaper. Using the latest Git of Calf Studio LV2 plugins.

-the latest stable Surge LV2 still only shows 2 outputs whereas the VST3 version shows 6 outputs. So that hasn't changed from v6.21+dev0123.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 01-24-2021 at 03:58 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:56 PM   #5
Glennbo

Also v6.21+dev0124

The Calf plugins are no longer instantly vaporizing REAPER, but they are opening non-responsive panels that leech the screen behind them. Also, REAPER will not close and gets stuck trying once a Calf plugin has been attempted, but interestingly enough, hitting play and stop still worked before trying to exit.

Last edited by Glennbo; 02-04-2021 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:59 PM   #6
JamesPeters

So we're experiencing the same thing. You're using Calf from a repo on Ubuntu, I guess. I built it from the latest Git, on Manjaro.

I'd also tried listing dependencies for the plugins (ldd) and it didn't show that I was missing any, or that there were any errors.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:12 PM   #7
Jae.Thomas

it would be cool if we had a link list or resource list for LV2 plugins somewhere. I am very interested
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 04:17 PM   #8
Jack Winter

Here's a start: https://lv2plug.in/pages/projects.html
Old 01-24-2021, 04:24 PM   #9
Jack Winter

I think the calf issue is probably because it links to gtk2 and reaper to gdk3 (which unfortunately are incompatible). I don't know if it's still possible to build swell with gdk2 support, but that might help.

There's an ongoing effort the port plugins away from the gtk toolkit because it has created a lot of issues for a long time. Not sure if Calf is responsive to that idea. Other plugins have dropped the gtk dependency, like for instance Guitarix.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:45 PM   #10
JamesPeters

It's a shame about Calf. The only LV2 plugins I'm currently interested in are some of those and that one Harrison drum shaper.

If I had to guess, I'd say Calf will remain as is for a fairly long time. It hasn't seen much development in years. I'll cross it off my list.

I'll wait to see how the Harrison plugins work, once you confirm that they work properly. I wouldn't want to purchase any unless I knew they work 100% as intended. I will look around for other LV2 plugins to test with, but so far the others I've found aren't interesting to me.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:53 PM   #11
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Someone needs to add REAPER there to the list of LV2 compatible hosts.
(once it's released officially that is)
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:00 PM   #12
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
So we're experiencing the same thing. You're using Calf from a repo on Ubuntu, I guess. I built it from the latest Git, on Manjaro.

I'd also tried listing dependencies for the plugins (ldd) and it didn't show that I was missing any, or that there were any errors.
Yeah, I installed the Calf plugins using Synaptic in Xubuntu. I was surprised that even though the plugin had junk from the screen behind, when I hit spacebar, the project played, and hitting it again stopped it, but when I tried to exit REAPER is when it became unresponsive.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:03 AM   #13
elcalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post

I'm seeing some LV2 plugins popping up both the GUI and non-GUI versions at the same time. In this case, the spectrum analyzer works, but the panel on the left must also be open, and the values for it's sliders change in conjunction with the spectrum display.

Yeah, I'm seeing this too. It specifically seems to happen with many of the x42 monitoring plugins. Haven't encountered the issue with any other plugin so far, or even with x42's non-monitoring plugins...

Last edited by elcalen; 01-26-2021 at 06:04 AM. Reason: typo
elcalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:07 AM   #14
PMan

Default Testing 6.21+dev0125 on Ubuntu 20.04

No crashes so far!

Calf plugs have no GUI, but they seem to work. I didn't test them extensively, but here is what I want to report:

Inter-plugin modulation works as expected. Here is the FX chain I setup:
LV2i MDA ePiano
JS MIDI CC LFO Generator
LV2 CS Chorus 1 (Mono) - on the left channel
LV2 CS Chorus 1 (Mono) - on the right channel
LV2 AMS VC Panning

I then set the JS MIDI CC LFO Generator to send it's output to MIDI CC #20, and set the 2 mono chorus' "Mod Amplitue 1" value to be modulated by CC 20, in opposite directions (via Reaper's Param modulation). I also set the LV2 AMS VC Panning to have it's "Pan Offset" parameter modulated by CC 20.

Inter-plugin modulation is working well! Both the chorus and the panning are smooth - no stutters, glitches, or distortion.

Next up for me is to test LV2 modulation outputs and see if those can be routed to other FX in the chain.

Thank you devs!
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:05 AM   #15
PMan

One more quick update, I'm not sure where this was fixed, but there were a few Linux native VST plugins that would never open the FX window large enough to display the GUI. And when I manually enlarged the window, the GUI displayed correctly but there would be garbage in the area outside of the actual GUI but inside the FX window.

That is fixed! FX windows open to the correct size, and there is no garbage displayed outside of the GUI if I make the FX window larger than the GUI that resides in the FX window.

Thanks!
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:04 PM   #16
Win Conway

Quick question, is lv2 pre compiled, so runs on a particular platform like x86/x64 etc (VST/AU) or runtime and compiled by the host, so out of the box support directly what the host is running on, for instance M1 (JS)
Old 02-01-2021, 01:33 AM   #17
elcalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win Conway View Post
Quick question, is lv2 pre compiled, so runs on a particular platform like x86/x64 etc (VST/AU) or runtime and compiled by the host, so out of the box support directly what the host is running on, for instance M1 (JS)
It's compiled. Just like VST.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:29 PM   #18
Reflected

yo guys

I was wondering what is so special with Lv2?
i checked and found 2 or 3 nice plugins but nothing too much... maybe I'm missing the point
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:21 PM   #19
ufug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
yo guys

I was wondering what is so special with Lv2?
i checked and found 2 or 3 nice plugins but nothing too much... maybe I'm missing the point
I suspect it's mostly for Linux folks coming from other Linux DAWs who have accumulated and/or rely on a pile of LV2 plugins that they've used for years.

Getting LV2 support is a game-changer for Linux users, at least it will be for me.
ufug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:18 AM   #20
Jack Winter

Well LV2 is an open specification not under the control of Steinberg or Apple, that's important to some people.

Another aspect is that there aren't all that many Linux VSTs, so Linux users are probably happy to get more plugins. There are some nice synths, also the XT plugins from Harrison are quite useful, the meter package from rgareus is also quite nice, the guitarix amp and stomp boxes, some drum samplers/synths, etc, etc.

And it was really kind of missing from the Linux version.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:05 AM   #21
shosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
And it was really kind of missing from the Linux version.
I think Reaper will be the first non-free daw on linux to include LV2 as well so it's huge milestone.
shosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:16 AM   #22
elcalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shosty View Post
I think Reaper will be the first non-free daw on linux to include LV2 as well so it's huge milestone.
Well, Harrison Mixbus exists. But yeah, the other major commercial ones (Bitwig, Waveform) don't have LV2 support.

(Edit: and Mixbus is based on Ardour, which is open source, so having LV2 support there is natural...)

Last edited by elcalen; 02-02-2021 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:33 AM   #23
Glennbo

I decided to try out the plugin RENEGATE, which has native Linux VST, VST3, and LV2 versions.

https://www.auburnsounds.com/products/Renegate.html

Of those three plugin specs, does LV2 offer better performance over VST or VST3?
Old 02-02-2021, 10:48 AM   #24
elcalen

I would be surprised if there's much difference. But I don't actually know.

If anyone's done extensive testing of the performance of different plugin formats compared to others, I would be curious to know the results, considering how many options there are now...
Old 02-02-2021, 11:01 AM   #25
shosty

I would be interested to know that as well.
shosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:01 AM   #26
Glennbo

I guess my other question would be is one format more stable than the other. In the past I've avoided VST3 because there were some issues that I don't remember what were, but if LV2 is either more efficient or stable, that would make a difference when there are three native Linux options.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:37 AM   #27
elcalen

Quote:
I guess my other question would be is one format more stable than the other. In the past I've avoided VST3 because there were some issues that I don't remember what were, but if LV2 is either more efficient or stable, that would make a difference when there are three native Linux options.
Considering the fact that LV2 support is clearly still being worked on, I wouldn't necessarily bet on it's stability in Reaper quite yet.

Personally I've had no stability issues with the VST3 plugins I've used...
Old 02-02-2021, 10:36 PM   #28
Win Conway

lv2 support seems like wasted effort to me personally, Linux users are super small subset of any cross platform DAW, and especially in this instance where we have an open and runtime plugin system built directly in to the DAW itself that has no hardware architecture restrictions, other than the DAW compile itself.
So yes, personally this effort would have been better spent overhauling to JS2 or something, better file and UI support, I see very little in LV2 that doesnt exist already or would/could with better file support in JS.

Yes I get that the few Linux users want this for the few usable plugins that do exist, but all things being equal, its wasted effort.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:37 AM   #29
Jack Winter

Well I suppose it's up to Cockos to determine what is a wasted effort or not! FWIW, it's not only Linux, it's cross platform, and it's an open standard.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:51 AM   #30
JamesPeters

Besides, all other OSes are garbage. Linux should be the only OS supported.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:35 AM   #31
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win Conway

Linux users are super small subset of any cross platform DAW
Don't be conned by Windows users.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:48 AM   #32
Xasman

Quote:
lv2 support seems like wasted effort to me personally...
You're entitled to your opinion of course, but in my opinion you suffer from the material disadvantage of being completely wrong.

Firstly, as Jack Winter quite rightly said earlier, LV2 plugins are not confined to Linux, they are cross-platform.

Secondly, as an example: ARA development is useless to me because I don't use Melodyne, but I wouldn't dream of having the raw audacity to suggest to the REAPER developers that they shouldn't waste their time on it. The reason I wouldn't do that is simply because I appreciate that others (no matter how many or how few) DO have a very good use for it and will appreciate that feature.

In my opinion, the attitude you display here does you a disservice; adopting a more egalitarian approach in future would stand you in much better stead.
Xasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:55 AM   #33
Winfield

Quote:
lv2 support seems like wasted effort to me personally, Linux users are super small subset of any cross platform DAW...
I for one welcome our new Linux leaders
I'm on W10 and am looking forward to check out some lv2 plugs - when the dust settles and they run stable. I see it as a possible opportunity to get more plugs to choose from.
-W
Winfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:44 AM   #34
Glennbo

One difference I'm seeing between the VST2, VST3, and LV2 versions of the plugin RENEGATE is in the reported PDC.

VST2 and VST3 report a PDC of 1250 where the LV2 version of the same plugin reports zero.

So does the LV2 version have superior latency or is it playing 1250 samples off? I guess a third possibility would be the Performance Meter just isn't being updated.

Last edited by Glennbo; 02-27-2021 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:03 PM   #35
JamesPeters

I'm testing using LSP Plugins LV2 version now. They have enough plugins with lookahead, so I tried one. It reports the PDC properly. So maybe that one LV2 doesn't report its PDC to Reaper.

I also compared DrumGizmo LV2 / VST versions. Things that invoke PDC behave the same in both versions (resampling, humanization).

You can test if that plugin is reporting its PDC by passing some audio through it and recording the output to a different track, and visually comparing the two audio files (zoom in a lot).

By the way: LSP Plugins have GUIs that can resize, unlike the VST versions. I'm just going to use the LV2 versions at this point. I see no difference in CPU compared to the VST versions from my tests so far, nor between Dragonfly reverb VST / LV2 versions.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 02-04-2021 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:25 AM   #36
elcalen

Quote:
By the way: LSP Plugins have GUIs that can resize, unlike the VST versions. I'm just going to use the LV2 versions at this point. I see no difference in CPU compared to the VST versions from my tests so far, nor between Dragonfly reverb VST / LV2 versions.
The resizing is pretty neat. However, it doesn't look like Reaper remembers the size, it always resets when I open the GUI...
Old 02-05-2021, 08:57 AM   #37
Glennbo

Quote:
Confirmed. I guess I should report that on the prerelease thread.
So is this thread not the place to post about bugs specific to LV2 issues, coz I've posted at least two here that I didn't post in the *everything* thread?
Old 02-05-2021, 09:56 AM   #38
JamesPeters

Quote:
So is this thread not the place to post about bugs specific to LV2 issues, coz I've posted at least two here that I didn't post in the *everything* thread?
Oh I just re-read the first post. I guess this thread's purpose is to keep bug reports relating to LV2 here specifically.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:00 AM   #39
swindus

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcalen View Post
The resizing is pretty neat. However, it doesn't look like Reaper remembers the size, it always resets when I open the GUI...
Just resize the GUI to your like and save to a default preset in Reaper. For most plugins the saved size is remembered the next time you open the plugin.
swindus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:24 AM   #40
Glennbo

Quote:

The non-GUI panels still open with some LV2 plugins, but it appears that the non-GUI panels can be closed now, and the GUI panels continue to update.