Old 02-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
wolfereeno
Human being with feelings

Default Win 7 Delta 1010 and weird sound problems

Using Reaper with Delta 1010 and Win 7.

I thought I had everything working and got very good sound quality on my recordings for a while. But now I'm getting some strange sound artifacts that sound kind of like clicking being added to my new recorded tracks. I have no idea what's changed. Windows updates perhaps?

After further testing its possible this was always there but I'm noticing it more. I'm trying to record some really simple organ lines with a Korg Karma. Depending on what octave I play the clicking sounds worse. It sounds perfect while I'm recording it.

Here's a link to a test: http://billwolf.com/music/test_1.mp3

I've been all over the soundpath looking for problems and don't know what it is.

What are the best sound drivers to use - Asio? I'm using all the various default settings for latency and all.

Any ideas? I'm about to loose it!

Thx

Last edited by wolfereeno; 02-06-2012 at 09:19 PM.
wolfereeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
gravyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfereeno View Post
Using Reaper with Delta 1010 and Win 7.

I thought I had everything working and got very good sound quality on my recordings for a while. But now I'm getting some strange sound artifacts that sound kind of like clicking being added to my new recorded tracks. I have no idea what's changed. Windows updates perhaps?

After further testing its possible this was always there but I'm noticing it more. I'm trying to record some really simple organ lines with a Korg Karma. Depending on what octave I play the clicking sounds worse. It sounds perfect while I'm recording it.

Here's a link to a test: http://billwolf.com/music/test_1.mp3

I've been all over the soundpath looking for problems and don't know what it is.

What are the best sound drivers to use - Asio? I'm using all the various default settings for latency and all.

Any ideas? I'm about to loose it!

Thx
I would play around with your buffer size. Try increasing it (but this will also increase latency, so there's a bit of trial and error here).
gravyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:14 AM   #3
Sibben

I had crackling noises from my 1010 at several occasions. Funnily enough pulling the power plug from the breakout box and replugging it solved it. Funny.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
wolfereeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
I would play around with your buffer size. Try increasing it (but this will also increase latency, so there's a bit of trial and error here).
Which buffer size setting? Seems to be a lot of similar settings in the preferences window.

Thx

(I tried unplugging and replugging - didn't help)

Thx
Old 02-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
zendrum

Hello Wolfereeno-

I used to use 2 Delta 1010's with Reaper under Win 7. It was quite a trial getting it set up. Those noise artifacts you are hearing are a known problem under Win 7. Check out the forums at M-Audio and you'll see the number of questions related to this!

The most important thing you can do to fix this issue are set up your BIOS properly. You have to disable anything that throttles down the CPU. The main setting to look for is C1e enhanced halt state. Set it to disabled or off or similar. Then look for anything else that would throttle down the CPU and disable it.

Please report back with questions or results and I'll do my best to assist!

zendrum
zendrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
wolfereeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendrum View Post
Hello Wolfereeno-

Those noise artifacts you are hearing are a known problem under Win 7. Check out the forums at M-Audio and you'll see the number of questions related to this!
Wow! Thanks. I see a lot of issues over on the m-audio forum and will dig through them.

Just curious, what interface did you end up switching to?!
Old 02-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
zendrum

Hey Wolfereeno-

I switched to an RME HDSPe MADI card coupled to an SSL X-Logic Alpha-Link MADI SX. Quite a bit more coin but the best in sound and stability.

zendrum
zendrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #8
JGrabowMST

If you have any questions regarding the Delta series, I can answer them here if you'd like, rather than back and forth between the M-Audio forums. You'll find that I'm there quite often under a different username.

I currently run 2x Delta 1010 rack units + 1x Delta 66 Omni I/O with Windows 7 x64 Home Premium. I literally just installed the newest Beta driver, and it is a great improvement.

As far as the C1e issues go, that is a huge problem, and unfortunately, driver updates haven't quite been able to get it right, because a lot of testers within M-Audio are actually having a lot of trouble replicating the issue reliably.

I made the walkthrough for the RMClock tweak to set Win 7 to run the CPU 100% all the time, while there were some users who had trouble figuring that out, it does help many.

If you're using any computer with an X58 or newer chipset though, that's a complicated mess of a problem. Sometimes the motherboard drivers help, sometimes you have to look for an older version, but that ITE chipset that manages PCI through the PCIe bus causes a lot of problems.

I would admit that upgrading would be nice, but there are few units I could upgrade to that would give me the 26/26 I currently have (with a mix of ADAT, XLR, 1/4" and S/PDIF). RME is a great brand, so is MoTU and Focusrite.

In the end though, the real question is if a new unit will be able to do everything you need it to do. In my case, that's a tall order, but for most users, there are a lot of units that would be able to replace an older Delta setup.
JGrabowMST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
wolfereeno

I installed the Delta beta drivers. No improvement.

I turned off speedstep. No improvement.

I tried running RMCLock but get an error trying to load it. Err says can't load RTCode64 driver. Looks like a permissions issue I'll have to mess with later.

I have no idea what chipset or board or etc my dell xps 8100 has but will try to look into updating drivers, bios, etc later.

Or I might just junk the Delta.

Thanks
Old 02-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
JGrabowMST

I've worked with a Dell XPS 8100 and Delta series cards, they are compatible.

Only the very bottom slot is PCI if I remember correctly, and the way the plastic case is shaped, it might make plugging in the 1010 cable difficult.

The RMClock issue giving you that RTCore64 error is common, it's because you have to use a modified RTCore64 file.

I can pull the file off my desktop sometime and upload it somewhere for you to download if you're willing to try it.

If I were to hazard a guess, try BIOS revisions released around 3/2011 or so, that's around the time I had an 8100 at my disposal.

If you wouldn't mind taking the time, could you actually just take a picture of the inside of your 8100 for me? Doesn't have to be a masterpiece, but a hi-res image would be really nice to have.
JGrabowMST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #11
wolfereeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrabowMST View Post
[U]Only the very bottom slot is PCI if I remember correctly, and the way the plastic case is shaped, it might make plugging in the 1010 cable difficult.

The RMClock issue giving you that RTCore64 error is common, it's because you have to use a modified RTCore64 file.
I will try to get a pic. I'm already using the bottom slot. No idea about the bios. I usually never update that crap.

Feel free to email me that file! My address is wolfereeno@gmail.com

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #12
wolfereeno

Hi - how do I use RMClock to see if it stops the noise problem?

(I don't see an advanced option for CPU settings)

Thx!

Last edited by wolfereeno; 02-11-2012 at 05:08 PM.