Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-19-2019, 09:16 PM   #921
talustalus
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Dear REAPER users,

for those of you who want a Session View à la Ableton Live in REAPER: Now there is one. It's called Playtime. Technically, it's a VST instrument that makes heavy use of REAPER's awesome extension API.

Playtime is available here. Please check it out and let me know what you think. Would appreciate any feedback

Cheers
Ben

Is there anyway to tell Playtime to start somewhere other than the project end? I have sidechain ghost items set up for a project length, so playtime always starts printing after these, which is undesired...
talustalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:35 AM   #922
hits_of_sunshine

Then you can add a track and trigger the sidechain looped clip before praying other clips.
hits_of_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:28 AM   #923
talustalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hits_of_sunshine View Post
Then you can add a track and trigger the sidechain looped clip before praying other clips.
That's a great idea. I'm going to go work that out now.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:56 PM   #924
talustalus

Quote:
Dear REAPER users,

for those of you who want a Session View à la Ableton Live in REAPER: Now there is one. It's called Playtime. Technically, it's a VST instrument that makes heavy use of REAPER's awesome extension API.

Playtime is available here. Please check it out and let me know what you think. Would appreciate any feedback

Cheers
Ben

I'm really enjoying Playtime. It is genius!

However, it only starts playing/writing one measure after the project end. Then each subsequent writing or playing pass it will again skip one measure instead of picking up from the actual project end. Is there a setting that is conflicting this?
Old 02-27-2019, 12:59 AM   #925
jprykiel

Hi Ben.
I know you were already contacted by some blind users using Reaper with screen readers on Mac or PC.
Like others, I would gladly buy playtime if it was accessible. Unfortunately, I don't have enough skills in computer science to tell you what to do, but I hope you're working on it.
Please keep me posted.,
Cheers.
jprykiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:01 AM   #926
Ozman

Quote:
Originally Posted by talustalus View Post
I'm really enjoying Playtime. It is genius!

However, it only starts playing/writing one measure after the project end. Then each subsequent writing or playing pass it will again skip one measure instead of picking up from the actual project end. Is there a setting that is conflicting this?
I believe there is a setting that allows to not jump to the end of the project. It allows you to play along with the arrangement.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:18 AM   #927
talustalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozman View Post
I believe there is a setting that allows to not jump to the end of the project. It allows you to play along with the arrangement.
Hi, thanks yes I believe I know about that setting. But I DO want it to go to the end of the project. The thing I don't understand is why it skips a gap of one measure before jumping to the "end" - which is one measure later than where the last item edge ends.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:46 AM   #928
David Carlyon

As soon as the mac version is here, i will buy immediately.
Does Jurgen Moss know about this? Sure he could work some magic Push2 integration!! So exciting.
David Carlyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #929
talustalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
As soon as the mac version is here, i will buy immediately.
Does Jurgen Moss know about this? Sure he could work some magic Push2 integration!! So exciting.
Mac version already exists. I'm on mac.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:00 AM   #930
TVbene

Hey, I'm building my own jamming room with reaper where Playtime is used for the possibility to do live looping and I really love this plugin!

I included several midi instruments and it used to work like a charm, but I changed my setup so that I have a dedicated track for each (hardware) midi instrument. The midi is then sent to the tracks with the vst instruments, these are the tracks that I assigned to the group slots in Playtime. This way I can easily send multiple midi instruments to the same tracks on different midi channels. This helps me to stay within the 8 track limit of my launchpad, among other things.

But Playtime doesn't seem to see the midi input. When I record via Playtime nothing happens on these midi tracks. When I use the reaper record button the midi gets recorded, though.
Any idea why this happens and how I could solve it? I attached my project, maybe someone finds the time to check it. I would be very grateful!
Attached Files
File Type: zip looperloop.zip (554.2 KB, 282 views)
TVbene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:16 AM   #931
_jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbene View Post
Any idea why this happens and how I could solve it? I attached my project, maybe someone finds the time to check it. I would be very grateful!
Instead of Input: None on those tracks, try switching it to Input: MIDI on some device that isn't going to get in the way. For some reason that seems to allow Playtime MIDI looping to kick in.
_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #932
TVbene

Quote:
Originally Posted by _jon View Post
Instead of Input: None on those tracks, try switching it to Input: MIDI on some device that isn't going to get in the way. For some reason that seems to allow Playtime MIDI looping to kick in.
Thanks a lot! I had to combine that with record input force MIDI, but now it does work.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:38 AM   #933
David Carlyon

Is anyone using this with Push 2? I only just took it off the desk to clear some space...but i miss it already.
David Carlyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:03 AM   #934
FOLKDISCO

Default Playtime always on track 1

Ben, or anyone else!
The Playtime template and all examples show Playtime on track 1, with all the other tracks below.
It always seems quirky to me setting group 1 to track 2, group 2 to track 3 etc.
Now I am making Playtime controller tools with mutes etc, and again midi channel 1 refers to track 2, midi channel 2 refers to track 3, etc, etc!
Is there any good reason for playtime sitting on track 1?
Timing?
Anything else?
If there's a good reason for it being on track 1, I'll just have to get used to it!
If not, I'll probably put Playtime at the bottom.
Cheers!
FOLKDISCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:21 AM   #935
ThrashJazzAssassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOLKDISCO View Post
Is there any good reason for playtime sitting on track 1?
No. Put it where you want
Old 03-19-2019, 05:26 AM   #936
FOLKDISCO

Default Playtime no longer on track 1

Cheers ThrashJazzAssassin!
Playtime is already down there!
Old 04-21-2019, 09:20 AM   #937
Earthwalkersmusic

Default Playtime Akai APC Key 25 compatibility

Hello!
I am using playtime with the APC key 25. It works wel for triggering the clips, but all other functionality of the controller is null. I really would like to use the shift button and the record arm, solo, mute, select, and clip stop funtions as well as the device macro controls which with the shift can select volume, pan, sends, and the device macros. Is there any way to implement these functions? Maybe a script or is the default controller settings still in development to contain those features. As of now, the shift button and clip stop buttons just play notes like from the keyboard. Thank you for your time and consideration fellow playtimers!
Earthwalkersmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:08 AM   #938
inarisound

Quote:
Dear REAPER users,

Cheers
Ben

Hello, I have a question... after I recorded a clip I have extra measure at the beginning that I want to cut, unfortunately in the Midi Editor it's impossible to achieve...

Is it possible to change midi clip size (select regions) after the clip was recorded?
inarisound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:14 PM   #939
FOLKDISCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by inarisound View Post
Hello, I have a question... after I recorded a clip I have extra measure at the beginning that I want to cut, unfortunately in the Midi Editor it's impossible to achieve...

Is it possible to change midi clip size (select regions) after the clip was recorded?
I think if you double click on the clip, you go through to the piano editor and you can drag around the end point left and right, changing the length.
Not so sure about playing with the start position like this.
Also, right click on a clip in playtime and you can set its start position and length in the dropdown.
Have fun!
Old 05-06-2019, 06:40 AM   #940
Stew

Hi

I've a question about assigning tracks to groups.

I've split a guitar jam, all from one track (say 'Track X'), into a bunch of short loops (a couple of dozen of them).

Assigned the clips to Playtime (which is on Track Y) - so it runs across say Groups 1-3.

When I jam with Playtime, they all play on Track X. When I write with Playtime, I get a really messy track with multiple items overlapping.

If I assign Group 1 to Track A, group 2 to track B, group 3 to track C, I'd hope it would write to those tracks, but it doesn't.

Is there a way to set this up properly within Playtime?

And/or, can I now split the items across new or existing tracks?

Cheers

Stew
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:28 AM   #941
ThrashJazzAssassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Hi

I've a question about assigning tracks to groups.

I've split a guitar jam, all from one track (say 'Track X'), into a bunch of short loops (a couple of dozen of them).

Assigned the clips to Playtime (which is on Track Y) - so it runs across say Groups 1-3.

When I jam with Playtime, they all play on Track X. When I write with Playtime, I get a really messy track with multiple items overlapping.

If I assign Group 1 to Track A, group 2 to track B, group 3 to track C, I'd hope it would write to those tracks, but it doesn't.

Is there a way to set this up properly within Playtime?

And/or, can I now split the items across new or existing tracks?

Cheers

Stew
When you click on a clip it tells you what track it's on, which is the track it will always play in, regardless of what group it is assigned to.

The latest pre of Playtime (v1.15.0-pre1) has an option in Settings - Move items between tracks - which should help with this
Old 05-07-2019, 11:04 AM   #942
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashJazzAssassin View Post
The latest pre of Playtime (v1.15.0-pre1) has an option in Settings - Move items between tracks - which should help with this
Ah, that sounds useful, cheers!

In the end I just manually shifted the written clips, but it'd be good not to have to do that.

I guess it relies on where the clips originate then? ie, if they are all sitting on Track X, that's where they'll play back.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #943
Ampa

Default InputFX with Playtime

I am trying to use InputFX such as JS: Pitch Shift 2 and JS: Delay (Floaty) with Playtime, but I am unclear as to best practice.

I'd like to end up with an InputFX chain that can behave rather like the input effects on a hardware looper such as the Boss RC-505. These could then be toggled on and off at will to create a wide array of different effects for live vocal looping.

Do the FX have to go into the InputFX slot for each track (1-8)?

This seems messy as I end up with 8 copies of each effect.

Can I somehow put all the InputFX into their own track, which is then routed as the input path for all other tracks?
Ampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:17 PM   #944
_jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampa View Post
I am trying to use InputFX such as JS: Pitch Shift 2 and JS: Delay (Floaty) with Playtime, but I am unclear as to best practice.

I'd like to end up with an InputFX chain that can behave rather like the input effects on a hardware looper such as the Boss RC-505. These could then be toggled on and off at will to create a wide array of different effects for live vocal looping.

Do the FX have to go into the InputFX slot for each track (1-8)?

This seems messy as I end up with 8 copies of each effect.

Can I somehow put all the InputFX into their own track, which is then routed as the input path for all other tracks?
You can just set up a single Input track with all your FX on that, and then have 8 tracks (or however many you want) that receive audio from the Input track post-FX. You set this up using the routing icon/dialog. Use these tracks for Playtime recording and playback but don’t monitor them, just monitor from the Input track.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:47 PM   #945
Ampa

@_jon Thanks for the help.

I have tried as you suggested, but can't get things working quite the way I'd like.

When I record natively in REAPER the Mic (Input 1) is routed through track InputFX, and sent to Tracks 01 & 02 which will record with the FX applied.

But when I record via Playtime the clips are not created on Tracks 01 & 02, but always on the Track Playtime.

What have I done wrong?

Found the following in the Playtime help…
Quote:
Record: output Record: audio (stereo)" as track input is also possible. In this case, the item will end up on the Playtime track, not on the track on which it was originally recorded. The reason is simple: If it would stay on the original track,
playing the clip and recording a new clip on the same track at the same time would cause the first clip to be recorded again ... which is probably not what you want.
Sadly in this case I think it is what I want!

.rpp file attached.
Attached Files
File Type: rpp Emulate Boss RC-505.RPP (5.3 KB, 233 views)

Last edited by Ampa; 05-12-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:49 PM   #946
_jon

Quote:
@_jon Thanks for the help.

I have tried as you suggested, but can't get things working quite the way I'd like.

When I record natively in REAPER the Mic (Input 1) is routed through track InputFX, and sent to Tracks 01 & 02 which will record with the FX applied.

But when I record via Playtime the clips are not created on Tracks 01 & 02, but always on the Track Playtime.

What have I done wrong?

Found the following in the Playtime help…

Sadly in this case I think it is what I want!

.rpp file attached.
I only see one track with a bunch of FX on it in this file. I'm not seeing any other tracks.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:55 AM   #947
Ampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by _jon View Post
I only see one track with a bunch of FX on it in this file. I'm not seeing any other tracks.
Oops! Sorry - I am not sure what happened there.

However, I don't think I need anyone to look at the file since…

1. The behavior I am seeing is as described in the documentation. However it is not the behavior I want!

2. I believe that there is already a request to allow the behavior that I want (https://bitbucket.org/helgoboss/play...me-track-audio), so I should probably contribute to that thread and approach Helgoboss directly.

3. I have found a workaround by using the Loopback feature of ReaRoute to send audio from one track in Reaper (where I can apply input FX) to the input of an other track. This allows Playtime to record input audio + FX to separate tracks, rather than dumping it all on the Playtime track.

The downside to the workaround is that it introduces additional / unnecessary latency.

Thanks for your help
Old 05-15-2019, 09:13 AM   #948
_jon

Quote:
Oops! Sorry - I am not sure what happened there.

However, I don't think I need anyone to look at the file since…

1. The behavior I am seeing is as described in the documentation. However it is not the behavior I want!

2. I believe that there is already a request to allow the behavior that I want (https://bitbucket.org/helgoboss/play...me-track-audio), so I should probably contribute to that thread and approach Helgoboss directly.

3. I have found a workaround by using the Loopback feature of ReaRoute to send audio from one track in Reaper (where I can apply input FX) to the input of an other track. This allows Playtime to record input audio + FX to separate tracks, rather than dumping it all on the Playtime track.

The downside to the workaround is that it introduces additional / unnecessary latency.

Thanks for your help
Cool solution, no problem. RME interfaces also have a built-in hardware loopback feature in TotalMix which may give you less latency.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:53 PM   #949
TVbene

Does anybody use something like the clear and delete item functionality with a MIDI controler? I could really use this and I have seen the corresponding entries in the parameter list. Or is there a way to trigger such an event with actions? I`m thinking about the CSI project (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143) and then I could use my launchpad with a modifier key in order to delete the items via the grid buttons.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:10 AM   #950
Ampa

@TVbene Yes.

I have linked the parameter Clear and Delete to a pad on my midi controller.

Click the track automation button on your Playtime track, and then Learn the midi input that you want for the Clear & Delete parameter.

It requires that the correct slot is selected before hitting the button (which I do with the keyboard cursor keys).

Most often I use it to delete the take I just recorded (because I made a mistake).
Old 05-20-2019, 08:39 AM   #951
Juljan

Hi there,
I suppose it is just my fault as a kind of new user to REAPER and Playtime but I have to face the following problem: When I import a song into TCP from the Media Explorer, I get a playrate of 1. Loading the song directly into Playtime changes the playrate instead. How can I change the behaviour so that it reacts the same as importing into TCP?
Thanks in advance!
Juljan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:40 PM   #952
mehmethan

It has been a quiet long time since Helgoboss replied at this thread (agu 2018). I hope he is ok and the playtime project is not dead.

Last edited by mehmethan; 05-23-2019 at 05:46 PM.
mehmethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:29 AM   #953
zvukofor

Does anybody has the same problem? —

I wanted to try some live guitar looping, but even using default Playtime project, clean install of Reaper, i'm still getting small dropouts when recording. No audio plugins are used.
Tried to set audio buffer bigger (4x) - no glitches/dropouts, but cannot record anything live, obviously.

But the same Reaper settings work fine for "pure" recording on 8 tracks simultaneously with no dropouts ever. No problems with Super8 looper too.

Tried 1.14 and 1.15 version of Playtime.
I'm on macOS 10.13, old i7 laptop, SSD disk.
RME Babyface, 128 buffer size.

Last edited by zvukofor; 05-31-2019 at 05:37 AM.
zvukofor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:05 AM   #954
NickScottProducer

will it work with ableton push 2?
NickScottProducer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:21 PM   #955
thirstyear

Default Playtime not recalling pad assignments

Wow, long time since last post on this thread... So, i am having an odd problem with Playtime. Reaper 5.977, very solid Windoze box, yada yada. Been using Reaper for many moons and have never seen anything like this, i suspect something with Playtime rather than Reaper. After setting up a Playtime layout, assigning clips to slots and assigning triggers to slots (in this case from a LaunchPad Pro in Live mode, which seems to be all Playtime responds to), saving the preset, saving a VST bank file, etc etc, and then reloading at some later time the project, most pad/trigger assignments are gone. typically, Playtime will remember a few, but only a fraction of the trigger assignments. I have tried everything i can think of in regards to combinations of what is 'saved', what order it is saved in, etc, and no joy. i'm about ready to start running Live in parallel with Reaper, but other than the clip launch stuff i truly and thoroughly dislike Live and would prefer not to have to resort to using it for clip launch stuff. Anybody got any clues/hints? Anybody experienced this behavior? oh - running current version of Playtime...
thirstyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:55 PM   #956
brummbear

Typically, you would use Launchpad Pro in PRG mode with Playtime, not LIVE mode. And you would use MIDI port "MIDIIN2 (Launchpad Pro)", not the port "Launchpad Pro".

This setup works flawlessly since years here, both with DIY configuration files as well as the built in Launchpad Pro config. Check out Playtime's manual...
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:10 AM   #957
toxizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehmethan View Post
It has been a quiet long time since Helgoboss replied at this thread (agu 2018). I hope he is ok and the playtime project is not dead.
Same here ... Wondering why Reaper Dev's are not picking the ball up on this matther.
Implemeting a session view within reaper are supporting Helgo for further developpement would be a MUST imo.
toxizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:44 AM   #958
thirstyear

Default solution to Playtime not properly saving/recalling layouts

lol, gotta respond to brummbear's response to my post #958, and provide the solution i found in hopes it may help someone...

selection of Live vs Prg or other LP Pro mode is somewhat immaterial, the differences being the specifics of communication protocol between the LaunchPad and the host, and the specific MIDI message sent from LP to host upon a trigger, and how the LP responds to MIDI messages from the host, MIDI channels used, etc. which MIDI port is used doesn't really matter (beyond port 3 being the one that is intended for the actual MIDI port on the LPPro rather than USB) - the only thing special about port 1 is that it is set up for communication with Ableton Live, and some device inquiry and response stuff happens automagically between the LP and Live. as a rule, i use port 2 unless i am in fact using Live.

as a degreed EE, a personal mantra is "RTFM", documentation exists for a reason. the Playtime manual has virtually nothing to say about using a LaunchPad Pro, beyond stating that it works and that its layout is ideally suited to use with Playtime.

the issue i was having had nothing to do with how i was using the LPPRo, the issue was a failure of Playtime to properly recall layouts saved from within Playtime.

what i discovered, through a bit of trial and error, is that if i do the trigger assignment BEFORE the clip assignment within Playtime, saved layouts recall/load correctly. if i do clip assignments before trigger assignments, layouts do not reload correctly. so a pretty easy 'fix', i just created a template which has no clip assignments but which has my preferred trigger assignments. once clip assignments are made and the new layout or template is saved within Playtime, it loads correctly down the road.
thirstyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:59 AM   #959
Tiggerdyret

Hi, I had this idea for a feature that could be really powerful for live sessions using Playtime, but I'm not sure that it would be possible within a plugin framework.

The idea is having having Reaper analyze a midi input's tempo and then applying quantization and tempo to the clip afterwards. The purpose would be for playing live without a metronome and without a set tempo beforehand, but have playtime or Reaper set a tempo as soon as Playtime clips are enable.

Thus you could have a dynamic live performance, but still use playtime for looping without having to worry about metronome clicks. When the playtime clips are punched in, you simply use that as you rhythmic baseline, which could be more musical and intuitive way to perform with clips. It could also alleviate problems with input quantization while not being able to hear the metronome, and time issues, if you are a little slow or fast on the beat. You wouldn't need a dedicated headphone mix, when using playtime.

You could add precision to the analyzation by defining what midi notes are set as kick, snare and hi-hat and have it set a tempo based on those factors.

Last edited by Tiggerdyret; 07-07-2019 at 04:15 AM.
Tiggerdyret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:55 PM   #960
TheWhistler

Quote:
Playtime's undo/redo is not mappable yet, will be in the next pre. Yes, some automatic light reset on load/close would make sense. I think I've tried once to implement it for close and didn't have success but I'll try again.
It looks like this project is about to fall asleep. I have searched the statistics of helgoboss (not meant to be offensive). There ist not so much development obviously in the past few months.

I´d love to see further improvements and first of all more launchpad adaptions.
The post I replied to is the last post of Helgoboss in the Playtime thread.
It ist from august last year.

So Helgoboss, I hope you are well and can give some information on this project.

Greetz
Whistler
TheWhistler is online now   Reply With Quote