Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 05-17-2019, 04:13 PM   #1
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings

Default v5.978+dev0517 (new build from same day) - May 17 2019

v5.978+dev0517 - May 17 2019
  • + MIDI editor: improve performance when many CC lanes are displayed [t=221039]
  • + ReaScript: support get/set selected state for automation item points
  • # MIDI editor: more display adjustments
  • # MIDI editor: preserve existing CC selection when clicking the horizontal line to the right of a selected CC event
  • # MIDI editor: slightly different shape for selected vs unselected notes, velocity, CC events
  • # Reascript: fix underlying envelope point index adjustment when automation item edge attachment options are enabled [p=2135488]
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Old 05-17-2019, 05:11 PM   #2
Soli Deo Gloria

Thanks so much for the coloring of nodes, devs!!

One important thing : as can be seen in the image above, the borders of selected nodes remain with the same color as unselected ones. Thus, with a far level of zoom, CCs show as if there was no color change. If you take a look at the images from dev0505 I posted on other threads (for example, the previous one : https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=52 ), you´ll see that the nodes are colored in their entirety, thus showing the selection color in any context. Velocity handles, too, were colored when selected in dev0505, which in my opinion is fine.

Apart from this, I think we´re in the right direction!

Thanks again!
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:57 PM   #3
asai

At the risk of sounding pushy, ungrateful, and arrogant, I will take a chance here and ask the developers directly about the possibility of adding envelope style editing to the CC lane.

It would seem to me, because I'm not a keyboard player, and I do a lot of messing around with manually drawing CCs for my string samples, that it would be more efficient to be able to set two points and interpolate the CC values at a given resolution (say max resolution). I'm not sure how to translate the feel of what I'm trying to say, except that it seems like it's simpler when you have a straight line that you can set points and curves to, just like the volume envelope in arrangement view.

Since you guys are working on this right now, it seems like it's the right moment to bring it up and see if there are any possibilities for this feature to be implemented?

Thanks for all the fantastic work that you do with Reaper. I think it's hands down the best DAW out there, and I look forward to the time when more people recognize that.
asai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:00 PM   #4
EvilDragon

schwa said they're moving in that direction, but it's going to be a more iterative process rather than just having it all in at once. So, patience!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:02 PM   #5
EvilDragon

Also, agreed with all of what Soli Deo Gloria said.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:16 PM   #6
asai

That's good to know, thanks, ED.
asai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:00 AM   #7
gofer
-blänk-

I liked the coloring method (not talking about the round/square change here, to be clear) of the earlier 0517 a little better. It used a definable color for unselected CC outline and some dimmed color (which I was unable to find, but looked almost transparent with my map) for unselected CC fill. So I had (almost) empty rings when unselected and filled shapes with a definable outline when selected. I liked that a lot.
Now there seems to be filled circles for unselected and filled circles with a (definable) outline for selected. I can live with it, but the previous method was more clear to me. Just saying.

Something I noticed which probably isn't new: The fill under CC for the active channel (where the note gradient colors are used) seems to be drawn above the node circles (z-order), which can look weird and noisy when there is a steep rise of dense CC:

I intentionally chose colors which emphasize, but if you look hard you can see it on the outlines of selected CC nodes with the default theme, too.

Another thing that needs a tweak IMO, is the visibility of CC on not editable items, I think they are far too much on the transparent side. It's even worse on my dark background.

I pasted the same area as active, so you can see that there is stuff you can't make out at all. I really like the nodeless approach, just give it more opacity. Being nodeless informs about uneditability pretty well already, doesn't it?.

EDIT: weird, the embedded images of this particular post don't come up on my Ipad using Safari (those in other posts do), can you guys all see them?

Last edited by gofer; 05-18-2019 at 12:19 AM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:42 AM   #8
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
[*]+ ReaScript: support get/set selected state for automation item points
This breaks countless existing scripts...they expect to get all visible AI envelope points at their current position together with their selection status (which can differ per iteration) - not just the first iteration.

Then again, this new way is beneficial and it would be good to have it as a separate function set while current function set gets rolled back to 5.978 state
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:24 AM   #9
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
I liked the coloring method (not talking about the round/square change here, to be clear) of the earlier 0517 a little better. It used a definable color for unselected CC outline and some dimmed color (which I was unable to find, but looked almost transparent with my map) for unselected CC fill. So I had (almost) empty rings when unselected and filled shapes with a definable outline when selected. I liked that a lot.
Now there seems to be filled circles for unselected and filled circles with a (definable) outline for selected. I can live with it, but the previous method was more clear to me. Just saying.
I'm unsure why they just don't go with the old method, yeah. Empty circles for unselected, fully filled (without any opacity) for selected nodes. Would work just fine!

Quote:
Another thing that needs a tweak IMO, is the visibility of CC on not editable items, I think they are far too much on the transparent side. It's even worse on my dark background.
Fully agreed, they're too transparent. If they're visible but non-editable, they should actually be visible, not almost INvisible.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 05-18-2019 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:29 AM   #10
mikeroephonics

How do we get the horizontal bar on velocity handles? I'm using customized menus so maybe that messed my menus up?

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:49 AM   #11
EvilDragon

Yes, it's in the Options>CC/velocity lane menu.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:54 AM   #12
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post
How do we get the horizontal bar on velocity handles? I'm using customized menus so maybe that messed my menus up?

Thanks.
Midi editor's Options -> CC/velocity lane -> show note length in velocity lane.
Don't install dev builds over the final releases. It can brake your config. I have a separate portable version for them.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:00 AM   #13
EvilDragon

I've been installing dev versions over my main install for years, it never broke my config, to my recollection.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:19 AM   #14
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I've been installing dev versions over my main install for years, it never broke my config, to my recollection.
I've stopped doing that since v5 was released. If something goes wrong, no one will recover your information. :0
Old 05-18-2019, 04:49 AM   #15
gofer
-blänk-

Definitely keep a recent backup of the config on the back hand.

I had my Reaper.ini borked during the v4 beta cycle (I think it was). Once in more than a decade of beta testing is a pretty good fail rate, but still, it does happen. With a backup it's a matter of less than a minute to be back in the game
Old 05-18-2019, 04:50 AM   #16
EvilDragon

Livin' on the bleedin' edge, guys.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:06 AM   #17
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Livin' on the bleedin' edge, guys.
You probably adore a pain.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:07 AM   #18
mikeroephonics

This action isn't showing up in my Options menu:
Options: Display note length in velocity lane

but I have my menus tricked out extensively. I think that's conflicting with new entries. It works fine but take note in case you don't see it in your menu!
Old 05-18-2019, 05:08 AM   #19
vitalker

Quote:
Once in more than a decade of beta testing is a pretty good fail rate, but still, it does happen. With a backup it's a matter of less than a minute to be back in the game
Your config ini should be full of garbage because of pre-releases, which interrupts program's normal working.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:09 AM   #20
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
This breaks countless existing scripts...they expect to get all visible AI envelope points at their current position together with their selection status (which can differ per iteration) - not just the first iteration.

Then again, this new way is beneficial and it would be good to have it as a separate function set while current function set gets rolled back to 5.978 state
Agreed.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:12 AM   #21
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post
It works fine but take note in case you don't see it in your menu!
Didn't you know when you customize your menu, all the new items won't appear? You'll have to manually add them every time they are added in new versions.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:46 AM   #22
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Your config ini should be full of garbage because of pre-releases, which interrupts program's normal working.
Can't confirm
Old 05-18-2019, 05:49 AM   #23
vitalker

Quote:
Can't confirm
You're probably not even aware of it.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:53 AM   #24
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Not really? Occasionally we'll add a value to a flag that ends up not being used in the final release, or very occasionally we'll add a line or more to the ini file that ends up not being used, but I can't think of a recent example.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:57 AM   #25
EvilDragon

On a related note: docking MIDI editor and having it always open (even after closing or removing all MIDI files from project) creates a whooooole bunch of midiedit:{some ID} entries with time. I assume every time Reaper is started a new entry is added there because of different ID. My reaper.ini is at 125 KB, it has 1267 such midiedit:{} entries. If I remove all but one, I'm at 45 KB instead.

Any way to make this cleaner on Reaper's side?

Last edited by EvilDragon; 05-18-2019 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:03 AM   #26
Edgemeal

I have simple script, "Set first selected point to last selected point value in AI", it uses SetEnvelopePointEx and now the point that has value changed also gets unselected.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:38 AM   #27
EvilDragon

That's the thing Breeder was saying above. It needs a new version of that API command, instead of updating the current one.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:00 AM   #28
Swi

Default mute notes in midi editor

when I mute notes in the midi editor they no longer change appearance. They used to grey out on my system.

Going back to 15
Swi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:15 AM   #29
_Stevie_

Not sure what's going on, but no matter what color map I'm applying, the CCs stay red. Did I miss something or is this a bug?
Old 05-18-2019, 08:16 AM   #30
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swi View Post
when I mute notes in the midi editor they no longer change appearance. They used to grey out on my system.

Going back to 15
Yeah, did the color map get broken? CCs are all in red no matter what I set it to in the color map.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:19 AM   #31
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Not sure what's going on, but no matter what color map I'm applying, the CCs stay red. Did I miss something or is this a bug?
How do you apply them? Are you using png files or changing themes? If first, you probably need to restart Reaper.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:19 AM   #32
Klangfarben

Quote:
How do you apply them? Are you using png files or changing themes? If first, you probably need to restart Reaper.
Yeah, happens after a restart. Also happens when going into the midi editor, clearing the map and loading new color map. It's definitely not respecting my color map.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:20 AM   #33
_Stevie_

I'm loading them directly in the MIDI editor. That's the fastest way to check it.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:23 AM   #34
Klangfarben

Also, it's respecting the gradient for color by velocity. That seems to be working. But it's most definitely not respecting the first pixel for CC color.

Not theme dependent. Happens in any theme I try.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #35
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Yeah, happens after a restart. Also happens when going into the midi editor, clearing the map and loading new color map. It's definitely not respecting my color map.
It works here, if I change the theme.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #36
Klangfarben

Quote:
It works here, if I change the theme.
Could you try this map in this latest dev 0517 version, the second one posted yesterday and let me know what your CC color is? It's happening in any color map I try.

If I revert to a previous release, then it works as expected. So something definitely broke for me in this version.

EDIT: This is what it looks like on latest dev for me. First pixel of the png is most definitely not red.

Last edited by Klangfarben; 05-18-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:39 AM   #37
robgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by asai View Post
At the risk of sounding pushy, ungrateful, and arrogant, I will take a chance here and ask the developers directly about the possibility of adding envelope style editing to the CC lane.
I second this.
robgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #38
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Could you try this map in this latest dev 0517 version, the second one posted yesterday and let me know what your CC color is? It's happening in any color map I try.
Seems to work here as intended. Which color mode are you using in that picture?

Channel 1 of your map is red. If those CC are on channel 1, then in all color modes but track, item and source you can expect red CC events, because in all other modes CC will use the channel color.

This is your map (in my theme) using channel mode, showing a note and a bunch of CC in all channels (one of the items I use for testing colormaps, note velocity number = channel number):
Attached Images
File Type: png Klangfarben.png (31.4 KB, 1007 views)
Old 05-18-2019, 09:54 AM   #39
Klangfarben

Quote:
Seems to work here as intended. Which color mode are you using in that picture?

Channel 1 of your map is red. If those CC are on channel 1, then in all color modes but track, item and source you can expect red CC events, because in all other modes CC will use the channel color
Ah, thank you Gofer for the explanation!

So, I'm assuming this is no longer accurate?

Old 05-18-2019, 10:15 AM   #40
gofer
-blänk-

No, that must be ages old . Here is a link to a slightly more recent version: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=78839

Nothing really changed since, but there's some additional info that could be added once things settle down. That concerns pixel rows used for certain stuff, but is an ever moving target at the moment.

EDIT: Ah, I see you have got this pic from that thread. No, they fortunately changed it so you can see CC event channels in all modes where a diferent method doesn't make sense (track, item, source are showing the respective colors). Adds a bit of potentially useful information, so I like it. I don't know when that happened, because I almost exclusively use channel colors, occasionally track color mode.

Last edited by gofer; 05-18-2019 at 10:25 AM.