Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-19-2018, 09:12 AM   #1
FriscoSam
Human being with feelings

Default Just purchased a FaderPort2 (2018)

Hi all,

Ran the installer, updated the firmware, running in MCU (Cubase) mode and it seems I have about 70% functionality at present.

Is anyone planning to write some .ini hacks to expand the features in Reaper? Also, I'm still on ver 4.**

My biggest non-working functions are:

Track scrolling/ selection (this is really messed up),
Zoom,
Markers (this button activates the metronome).

Is it possible that some of the improvements already done for the classic will work with the FP2?
Would Klinkes option be worth a look?

I'm sure this request will benefit a large group.

Thanks all,

Jack
FriscoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:22 AM   #2
karbomusic

Is this the newest single fader version? I'm curious if our FaderportXT driver works with it which allows customizing almost every button on the unit.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:55 AM   #3
JHughes
Banned

Also curious how it works in HUI mode.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #4
FriscoSam

Default Replies to questions

Karb - yes, this is the single fader unit. Does the XT driver differ from the Klinke driver? I have not tried either.

JH - I tried HUI mode and all buttons/fader were non-responsive.

I can get by with the 70% I've got (its not going back), but the gripe list solutions would make this device that much sweeter. I'd even settle for specific .ini hacks for these specific items.

Jack
Old 10-19-2018, 11:00 AM   #5
FriscoSam

Default Another thought

I've had quite a bit of experience with the FP classic. I was part of a thread a few years back that got it moving for a few others on this forum.

My house fire last December took care of all my old equipment, so I'm slowly rebuilding the project studio now.

The good part is that I get to redesign from scratch.

J.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:20 AM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoSam View Post
Karb - yes, this is the single fader unit. Does the XT driver differ from the Klinke driver? I have not tried either.
Yes, FPXT is a vastly extended version of Reaper's built-in support for the original Faderport. So in that since it is nothing like the Klinke driver - both start with the same CSurf code IIRC but all the coding in FPXT is specifically for Faderport. If it works, you can just edit the INI file as described in the thread I linked. If the new faderport still sends the same IDs for buttons, it would probably work but I'd bet (based on looking at the new one) it may, may not, or almost.

Sorry about the fire, my house burned in December when I was 12, we lost most everything at the time.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:04 PM   #7
FriscoSam

Default I'll try the XT version this weekend

I have a bit of time so I'll give it a try.

You mentioned a link but I didn't see one (aside from your band link and FB).

Thanks.

PS. I really liked Face Dface
PPS. Fires suck but we power through

Jack
Old 10-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
I have a bit of time so I'll give it a try.

You mentioned a link but I didn't see one (aside from your band link and FB).

Thanks.

PS. I really liked Face Dface
PPS. Fires suck but we power through

Jack
It's the link in my first reply where FaderPortXT Driver is underlined.

Ah thanks on face deface, ya fires suck, I really need to coin a tune about it, it was 40+ years ago, good time to write about it somehow.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:01 AM   #9
FriscoSam

Default I see the link (halleleuja!)

I missed it in your first post.
Thanks for that. I'll be trying to make it work a bit later today.
I'll post my results.

Thanks again,

Jack
Old 10-20-2018, 02:15 PM   #10
FriscoSam

Default XT drivers add no functionality to the stock install

Hey Karb,

Well sorry to say, but the XT drivers are indistinguishable from the stock install (with firmware update).
Functionality is identical, with the same glitches as before.
It almost makes me wonder if Reaper is not seeing/reading the new CSURF file at all(?)

I tested pretty thoroughly, going as far a uninstalling the initial stock install and using the XT only several times. I've been doing computer work for over 30 years, so I'm pretty systematic in my troubleshooting approach.

To recap, I dropped the reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini and the reaper_csurf_fpxt64.dll in the user plugins folder within the Reaper folder specified in options/preferences.
(My Impact LX25.dll is there as well so I'm confident I've configured correctly).
To note: I'm using Win10 pro - 64bit.

Opened Reaper (ver 4.78x64)

Added Mackie Control under control surfaces and specified FP2 as MIDI in and out.

70% joy.

To be clear, the FP2 is very usable (even at 70%) functionality) and this is not a deal-killer for me.
The 3 features not avail on FP2 are easily found with my trackball and keyboard shortcuts.
To redcap, they are:
Proper track selection
Zoom function - vertical and horizontal
Metronome.
Ah, lets throw in fully programmable F1-F4 buttons

It would be really cool to get this dog fully integrated like Studio One, though.
If you have any other thoughts or items to try, I'm game.

I found another thread where people were asking about this new version so I'm going to invite them to view here as well.

Thanks for your input.

Jack
Old 10-20-2018, 02:20 PM   #11
FriscoSam

Default One more item

In the Reaper.ini file, the faderport entry is as follows:

csurf_2=FADERPORT 0 0 4 4

If this helps

J.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:58 PM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
Hey Karb,

Well sorry to say, but the XT drivers are indistinguishable from the stock install (with firmware update).
Sounds like it's still loading the stock driver. Remember, you have a unit that is a newer version, it may or may not work but I'm 1000% sure it works with V1 because I and many users have used it for years now. I still think it's loading the stock driver though because if FPXT loaded I would at least expect a clue that it was loaded even if it worked incorrectly - and I've seen that occur on more than one occassion.

Being savvy as you explained, just check to see which DLL is loaded into Reaper's memory space, reaper_csurf.dll or reaper_csurf_fpxt64.dll.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #13
karbomusic

Quote:
Added Mackie Control under control surfaces and specified FP2 as MIDI in and out.
Why didn't you choose FaderportXT and why Mackie control? Choose Faderport XT as the controller. That's the entire point of the DLL... to show up in that list and you then choose it to use it.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:40 PM   #14
FriscoSam

Default XT option not available in control surfaces

I've never seen it as an available option. This probably reinforces the stock .dll load theory.
So, To clarify, should I be dropping the .ini and .dll files together in the UserPlugins folder, or should I put the .ini one level up next to the reaper.ini file?
I've tried both with the same results.

As far as savvy? Ha! I know my way around PC's and routers, but Reaper is Greek to me.

Where do I quickly check to see which .dll loaded into Reapers memory space?

Thanks,

Jack
Old 10-20-2018, 03:59 PM   #15
karbomusic

Yes, both in the user plugins folder, then restart reaper and FaderportXT should come up as a choice in the control surfaces drop down when adding a control surface.

You could temporarily remove reaper_csurf.dll (from the plugins directory) and relaunch to prevent reaper from loading the stock version. You do have to move it as I think reaper will load it regardless of it's filename.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #16
karbomusic

To see which one is loaded, from a command line:

c:\> tasklist /m /fi "imagename eq reaper.exe" | findstr csurf

Result should have the xt version loaded like mine does below:

reaper_cd.dll, reaper_csurf.dll,
reaper_csurf_fpxt64.dll,
reaper_csurf_PanoramaP6ReaperDAWControl64.dll

If you see both reaper_csurf and reaper_csurf_fpxt64 loaded like mine does above, temporarily move reaper_csurf outside the reaper directory and restart reaper as a test - I have seen the rare conflict/race condition where the wrong one gets loaded even though XT was chosen in the drop down. I don't expect that to be the case but it's due diligence.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:17 PM   #17
FriscoSam

Default OK - testing now

Thanks
Old 10-20-2018, 04:52 PM   #18
FriscoSam

Default Still not seeing XT option in control surfaces

OK,

Here's the breakdown.

My stock csurf.dll file is located here:

C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\Plugins

My Userplugings folder is located here:

C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\UserPlugins

I have tried removing the stock csurf, removing it and placing the fpxt64.dll in the same folder, fpxt64.dll in the Reaper folder alongside reaper.ini, and in the UserPlugins folder.

None of these combinations allowed me to see the XT option as a control surface.

Anytime I remove the stock csurf file from its original location, I lose all control surface options except the Impact LX25 controller which is already loaded.

The command line returns invalid entry, so I must have a parameter off for the search.

Both XT files are back in the userplugins folder, and stock csurf is back to original location.

Just can't seem to get reaper to recognize the XT dll file.

Thoughts?
Old 10-25-2018, 08:13 PM   #19
introvert

I picked this unit up recently as well. I haven't tried different drivers, just using it as a Mackie Control unit as that seems to have the most compatibility. I'm seeing the same behavior as FriscoSam.

The only thing I've bumped into that I haven't seen mentioned on this thread is setting automation back to Trim mode. That doesn't seem to work. Hitting SHIFT > Write appears to do nothing. Which is mildly annoying, I like to switch my tracks back to that mode when not actively writing automation to them.
introvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:28 PM   #20
FriscoSam

Default I have been using the write and read buttons on the FP

This has been sufficient for me to switch between writing and not writing automation.
The shift function in this config seems to be mostly useless. I leave the FP "Pan" button activated all the time.
I did notice on a remix that I was doing the other day, that when I worked on tracks that had prior automation, I needed to open the Reaper automation page from the track panel and re-check "volume" and "arm" before I could modify the volume lane.

In short, its far easier to create new automation than modify existing.
At this point, I'm using the FP for transport, write/read of automation, and thats about it. I also use a few keyboard shortcuts to show/hide auto lanes, etc.

Overall the combo works pretty well, but being able to move the short cuts to assignable FP buttons, and tighter integration for track switching would be wonderful. It would all be on one device.

Jack
Old 11-16-2018, 08:46 PM   #21
introvert

Agreed, all of that would be awesome. I have no idea how to pursue any of it, so hoping some kind soul around here does. I'd drop some money to them via paypal as a thanks, but I doubt I alone am enough to justify the effort.

I added a Palette Gear unit to my setup to help with automating plugin parameters, since the sliders and dials on it transmit MIDI CC, and I've got a Softube Console 1 as well. Between the C1, the Palette and the FP2 I'm doing alright. But it would be great for when I travel if the Faderport could do it all by itself.
introvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:32 PM   #22
FriscoSam

Default No real progress on this issue

Hey all,

I spent quite a bit of time this weekend, trying to get the XT version of the Faderport to work with my FP2. Still no dice.
I tried so many different combos and overwrites of the .dll and .ini files, that I finally blew up my version (4.78) and had to reinstall fresh.

So, as it sits now, the FP2 has transport control, some write-read automation ability,
but no programmable features/buttons of any kind. I guess at this point, the only advantage to buying the FP2 is that the fader is much quieter and smoother than the original (classic) version.

If you have the classic, it sounds like the XT program developed here is the way to go.
As for me , I'm OK with the limited FP2 features and supplementing with keyboard shortcuts.

If a few more people upgrade to the FP2 (not sure why, but?) and want to write some code I'll be happy to be a guinea pig and test mods for you. I have an old laptop with Reaper 4.78 on it and I don't mind blowing it up.

Maybe enough interest will crop up and we can get this new device (more fully) integrated.

Best all,

Jack
Old 11-19-2018, 12:45 PM   #23
karbomusic

Quote:
Hey all,

I spent quite a bit of time this weekend, trying to get the XT version of the Faderport to work with my FP2. Still no dice.
I tried so many different combos and overwrites of the .dll and .ini files, that I finally blew up my version (4.78) and had to reinstall fresh.
What is a bummer is that I just picked up a second FP V1 a few months back as a backup of for my main one. Had I known V2 was around, I'd have gotten that one, then I could have tested with it.

However, getting FPXT to show up in the control surfaces list shouldn't have anything at all to do with the hardware that is connected AFAIK. There are likely 100s of people using it so I'm curious as to what could be going on here.

I should be able to at least test a portable install with no controller connected and test/confirm, FPXT will load, it should, it's loaded here. You can also install a demo version of Reaper version 5 AS PORTABLE and test just to rule out any legacy breaking changes.

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-19-2018 at 12:51 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:44 PM   #24
nheldman

Default Similar issues with new Faderport

I just got the new Faderport as well, and after dropping the DLL and .ini file in the right place, I am able to see the FaderportXT in the list of control surfaces (latest Reaper version), and can assign the MIDI In/Out, but the control surface does nothing. If I switch to MCU in Reaper and on the control surface, I get the same capabilities others have mentioned (transport, fader control, write/read automation).

Back to the custom DLL... it is loading correctly, since it shows in the list of control surfaces, but as soon as I choose FaderportXT... no luck.

I'm a programmer as well, though I'm rusty in C++ if that's what it's written in. My skills are more C# and Python. I'm happy to help if there is a shared codebase we can contribute to.

Thanks!
Noah
nheldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:31 PM   #25
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nheldman View Post
I just got the new Faderport as well, and after dropping the DLL and .ini file in the right place, I am able to see the FaderportXT in the list of control surfaces (latest Reaper version), and can assign the MIDI In/Out, but the control surface does nothing. If I switch to MCU in Reaper and on the control surface, I get the same capabilities others have mentioned (transport, fader control, write/read automation).

Back to the custom DLL... it is loading correctly, since it shows in the list of control surfaces, but as soon as I choose FaderportXT... no luck.

I'm a programmer as well, though I'm rusty in C++ if that's what it's written in. My skills are more C# and Python. I'm happy to help if there is a shared codebase we can contribute to.

Thanks!
Noah
It's on GitHub... https://github.com/TheNimaj/Faderport_XT

I know it works very well on the original Faderport as I have one and was the second of three people to work on it. I think that at least some of the commands should work since incoming it is only a packet of midi data and I'd find it strange for all of those to change between hardware versions. However, if you have the same build that's in the repo then you can fire up reaper, attach Visual Studio to it and set breakpoints.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:13 AM   #26
Marcus2323

Default Control Surface: Error opening midi outputs

I have the new Faderport 2018.

I have disabled FP2 in Midi Devices inputs and outputs. I go into Control Surfaces and Add the FaderportXT then set midi inputs and outputs to FP2. I have also tried this with the regular Faderport dll.

I still get the message "Control Surface: Error opening midi outputs"

Obviously I get zero functionality in Reaper. Works fine in Studio One though....but I love Reaper.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I've been reading the forums for a couple hours now and still haven't found a solution.

Thanks!
Marcus2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #27
nheldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus2323 View Post
I have the new Faderport 2018.

I have disabled FP2 in Midi Devices inputs and outputs. I go into Control Surfaces and Add the FaderportXT then set midi inputs and outputs to FP2. I have also tried this with the regular Faderport dll.

I still get the message "Control Surface: Error opening midi outputs"
Marcus, you will see this error if another device is already mapped to those inputs/outputs. If I remove all other devices (obviously do this at your own risk) I can add the Faderport XT and have it map to FP2 input/output without error.

Of course, I still can't get it to do anything once it's mapped, so I'm still using MCU mode for now. I'll keep trying to get it working and post a solution back here if I do.
nheldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:51 AM   #28
todoublez

subscribed
todoublez is offline   Reply With Quote