Old 11-09-2017, 05:49 PM   #1
Goldreap
Human being with feelings

Default Independence Free lol

I'm always on the look out for free acoustic basses ('upright', 'double', 'jazz' or 'contrabass'). Having seen somewhere that Independence Free has 'acoustic bass' I spent hours yesterday downloading the program and the library and dealing with the non-choice of dll location by shifting things around etc etc. Finally got it all up and running to to discover that their acoustic bass is a 'mexican bass'...nothing against mexican basses but err jeez der....lol.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:43 AM   #2
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I'm always on the look out for free acoustic basses
*Tip* Invest in a really decent wavetable or hq granular rea_synthesis sampler.
If you get better @ programming 1 of these,you can almost kiss huge sample libraries goodbye- resynthesis has been the way forward for some time now-imo.
The real trick with these things is the subtle and obvious modulations that must be applied to characterize and simulate 'natural acoustics'.<This is what lfo's and envelopes are for!!
Just a few layers -- can be quite convincing!
GLHF!
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:28 AM   #3
mschnell

I, too, once tested Independence Free and found that it just is created to make somebody buy the full Independence product by Magix -> for € 200 or € 300.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:39 AM   #4
Tommy V

Same here ... downloaded Independence Free several years ago when I was first getting into digital DAW's ... even in my then naievety back then I knew it was a dog. Immediately deleted it.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:53 AM   #5
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Immediately deleted it.
Actually-that programme had some quite nice features/functions-- we made sure to make patches of the instruments n stuff--> they ain't too shabby >>once modded and reashaped.
With rea_synthesis {wavetables+granular+spectral oscillations}- a user can manipulate a single cycle waveform-or a complete set of complex waveforms,to create some really,really interesting and usefull\playable patches/instruments//tones... =)
There's lots of devices which use this 'resampling+manipulation technologies'.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #6
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
With rea_synthesis {wavetables+granular+spectral oscillations}- a user can manipulate a single cycle waveform-or a complete set of complex waveforms,to create some really,really interesting and usefull\playable patches/instruments//tones... =)
what is rea_synthesis? never heard this term or found a JS plugin or found a VST plugin : )
What is it? is there a good plugin for this?

Thank you

Last edited by deeb; 11-10-2017 at 02:27 PM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:25 PM   #7
ivansc

Goldreap: Is there really a Bajo Sexto in Independence free???

Been looking for a sample set based on that iconic bass instrument.

Sonivox's DviDynacoustic bass WAS free or very very cheap - had it so long I dont remember the details, but it is my go-to for quick and dirty bass when I cant be bothered to get my EUB out and play it.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #8
JeffM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Goldreap:

Sonivox's DviDynacoustic bass WAS free or very very cheap - had it so long I dont remember the details, but it is my go-to for quick and dirty bass when I cant be bothered to get my EUB out and play it.
Don't talk to me about Sonivox's DviDynacoustic bass. I used to use it all the time until my old computer crashed. I installed it on my new one, found my original Email with my purchase details and tried to register it. Didn't work. Wrote to Sonivox only to be told that it was now discontinued so tough luck!

I can't find another acoustic bass that I really like.

I don't think I'll be buying anything else from Sonivox.
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:17 PM   #9
Goldreap

Quote:
Goldreap: Is there really a Bajo Sexto in Independence free???

Been looking for a sample set based on that iconic bass instrument.

It's called 'Mexican Ac Bass', but doesn't sound like a proper Bajo Sexto which has 12 srtrings (6 courses) I believe. It has a good bright tangy new strings sorta tone but there's a lot of fret rattle. Would probably sound pretty authentic mixed in with a bunch of other guys with big hats.

Yes, the Sonivox bass is the best close to free I've found. I downloaded the trial, but then ended up getting it even cheaper because the same bass samples are used in some of the split key combinations in Sonivox Eighty Eight piano (which was on sale for about 14 quid some time ago). The Eighty Eight version doesn't have the bells and whistles (processed variants) but the basic unprocessed good samples are there. EDIT: Actually one of the Eighty Eight presets is just the bass, not even a split key combination.

Last edited by Goldreap; 11-11-2017 at 02:08 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:35 PM   #10
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
It's called 'Mexican Ac Bass', but doesn't sound like a proper Bajo Sexto which has 12 srtrings (6 courses) I believe. It has a good bright tangy new strings sorta tone but there's a lot of fret rattle. Would probably sound pretty authentic mixed in with a bunch of other guys with big hats.
this is interesting! with your comment i met an instrument which i am interested! it is called: Guitarron and sounds like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j16RSVIw_eM

i wonder if i can find this sound on a lib! i'll try to check!

cool! thanks
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #11
Goldreap

There's another (free) standup bass I found that is pretty damn good..nice even tone, nice sustain (without being too snarly)..... 'pjcohen standup bass for Kontakt'
http://bigcatinstruments.blogspot.co...freesound.html

I've tried many of the ones in the hundreds of old soundfonts I have, and made some myself in TX16Wx from various sample collections, but the Sonivox and pjcohen are my favourites so far. But depends on what sort of thing you want I guess.. sometimes a tubby old non sustaining out of tune uneven bass might be what you need....hopefully not too often.

Re Guitarron, funnily enough I got one from this page about a month ago, sf2 format, actually sounds pretty good even though only 3.38 MB! Not a clean recording, there's some fuzzy background noise but the tone is great and would sit in a mix nicely I think.
http://soundfonts.gonet.biz/search.php?goto=1&grupo=1
Old 11-11-2017, 01:31 AM   #12
ivansc

Yay! A guitarron is even better for my purposes - trying to set up a whole Mariachie-style ensemble & this works fine for me.
Thanks!

Bugger! Hit your link and couldnt find anything like guitarron.... EDIT: got it. Now all I have to do is remember what I used to use for SF2 stuff!

Last edited by ivansc; 11-11-2017 at 01:37 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:20 AM   #13
Goldreap

Well ivansc, I'm sure you have a few old sf2 players gathering dust up in your attic, but don't forget Falcosoft BassMidi...64 bit, multitimbral, and not abandoned (but Windows only I think).
Old 11-11-2017, 06:45 AM   #14
LarsCB

Quote:
Now all I have to do is remember what I used to use for SF2 stuff!
Sforzando does SF2, doesn't it? https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando/
LarsCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:26 AM   #15
Goldreap

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsCB View Post
Sforzando does SF2, doesn't it? https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando/
Yes it does, and the conversion to sfz is usually OK. Some things to bear in mind though.
1/ After the conversion you'll have on your hard drive the original sf2 file + the new sfz package = double the space if you want to keep both.
2/ Plogue doesn't convert to a normal sfz package (sfz files plus individual samples)...you get sfz files plus one long wav file with all the original samples end to end . So you can't use it in other sfz players..not a big deal but worth noting.

Rather than muck about with all that I prefer to use an actual soundfont (sf2) player.