Old 07-13-2018, 02:36 PM   #1
barefaced
Human being with feelings

Default Midi MMC or MTC sync

Hi,

is it possible with reaper to sync external hardware with Midi MMC/MTC? I want to syncronize a yamaha aw1600 hdd recorder with reaper. Reaper should be the master.

Thanks.
barefaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:45 AM   #2
airon

You’ll find that info in section 23.7 of the manual.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:16 AM   #3
barefaced

Thank yor for your info!

I have studied the chapter with the midi prefetences and did not foud anything.

So it must be possible to work with mtc and reaper as slave.
I have nothing found about mmc.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
SonicAxiom

As far as I understand the manual of the AW1600, you can either sync Reaper to the AW1600 or vica versa via MTC or MIDI Clock. It's also possible to use MMC in both directions. I'd rather try to use an SMPTE/LTC audio sync signal (instead of MTC/MIDI Clock) because of its higher sync precision (sample-accurate). For this, you'd need to insert a metronome click track in Reaper, glue it to audio, play it back in Reaper and record it on an empty track of the AW1600 as normal audio. When playing back the song from the AW1600, route the LTC signal into Reaper (preferably digitally via a dedicated audio input like SPDIF). In Reaper, by right-clicking the PLAY button, you can choose the input carrying the LTC signal to sync Reaper's transport to it.

(Chapter 14 on page 157 of the AW1600's manual describes how to establish sync to external devices.)

Having said all this, I'd rather simply export all tracks from the songs inside of the AW1600 and import them into Reaper for further editing. Reaper offers far more processing and editing options and much more flexibility than the AW1600. However, you may be able to use the AW1600 as a control surface in Reaper. I'm doing it with a YAMAHA DM1000. As long as the AW1600 is recognized and enabled as a MIDI device in Reaper, you should be able to get it to work.

Last edited by SonicAxiom; 07-15-2018 at 01:47 PM.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:18 AM   #5
barefaced

Thanks for your answer. I will try it. The easy way to set reaper as slave and the aw1600 as MTC master works also really good. I think it is not sample exact, but it works at the moment for me.

Of course reaper has much more possibillities then the old hdd recorder. I work with reaper now for 8 years or so. It is a great tool.
But actualy I work on an hiphop project and I want to work like in the end of the 90th. In this context I use reaper only as sequencer for a mpc and a jv2080.
It is real fun for me in this project to work with real hardware and real faders.

Maybe it is a good idea to use the aw1600 as controller.