Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 07-07-2018, 05:24 PM   #1
krm27
Human being with feelings

Default Thanks, updated to 5.92 and now Reaper is broken...

I just updated to version 5.92. I went into the Option / Preferences to change the audio to use the Yamaha Steinberg driver (for audio through my THR-10). It said it needed to update the driver, and appeared to start that process...and nothing happened, just sat their saying it was downloading, not responding. I finally hit "cancel" and then that just froze the program. Eventually, I got a "not responding, do you want to close?" request. I did. I then re-opened Reaper and this time it apparently tried to pick up where it left off, the never-ending attempt to update this driver, and then freezing up if I hit "cancel."

I tried reinstalling this version, reinstalling an older version, uninstalling all versions followed by reinstalling this version, and it is happening the same EVERY TIME.

Oh, and by the way, the Yamaha Steinberg driver did not need any updating, as the latest version came out in 2017, so I don't know what Reaper was thinking telling me to do this. I cannot recall Reaper ever trying to update a driver from the Option/Preferences/Devices submenu, so I don't know if that is a new feature that is not working properly.

I just want to get back to using Reaper, I don't care what damn version. Now that literally UNINSTALLING it, and doing a fresh install did not fix the problem, I'm at a total loss.

I am using a PAID and LICENSED version of Reaper, by the way. This is on a Windows 10 desktop PC. I've never had any problem running any prior version of Reaper on here.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:45 PM   #2
mschnell

I don't understand why the driver suddenly wanted to be updated. I also don't know what a "Yamaha Steinberg driver" is supposed to be.

Very obviously not a problem of Reaper's but of the " Yamaha Steinberg" driver.

Try up- or downgrding it outside of Reaper via their website.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:10 AM   #3
ivansc

Just checked & the Yamaha driver indeed hasnt been updated since 2017. It appears to be some sort of USB driver but doesnt mention ASIO or indeed any other form of audio driver. BUT there is an associated app that can be downloaded.
Are you sure that driver is actually an audio/MIDI driver rather than just something to allow you to adjust FX the amp`s parameters, etc., via software?

Hopefully someone else who owns one of these will chip in.
As a matter of curiousity what is showing up in your audio and MIDI device drivers iN Reapers Options/Preferences/Audio/Device menu? Is ASIO an option and is anything relating to the amp showing up as an input or an output?

One quick and dirty option to see if the problem lies with the amp as an interfasce or your reaper settings is to do a portable install, which will bypass any customisation (deliberate or accidental) that may have been done to your original install. You do this by re-installing reaper and checking the "Portable install" box that comes up in the first screen.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:32 AM   #4
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Known issue with the Steinberg USB driver and the Windows 10 Fall Creator update:

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/e...ng-to-install-

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=125066
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:22 AM   #5
krm27

First, thanks for the replies.

Second, sorry for the tone of the original post. I was frustrated, but that's not really an excuse for being an a-hole.

Third, I found a new "Yamaha Steinberg USB driver" released in June of 2018, here:

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global...rg_usb_driver/

After I installed this driver, and then restarted Reaper, it worked.

I would point out that the problem I had was that even after uninstalling Reaper and then re-installing it, the program was still finding my old preferences / settings, so that it kept trying to start out using the Yamaha THR-10, which was causing Reaper to crash apparently because the driver had not been updated. If I had not had some idea exactly what driver it was trying to update when it started crashing, I'm not sure how I could have fixed this situation. It would have been simpler if, upon uninstalling and re-installing Reaper, it went back to default settings, or at least gave me the option to choose to use the default settings or import my settings from another Reaper version. Though I found a work-around, the fact that Reaper remembered the the last settings which, in fact, were causing the crash made this harder than it needed to be.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #6
Stella645

Reinstall will keep config.....but Reaper gives you options in the Windows start menu to start with default config or to show audio config on start.

Ollie identified your issue correctly the same day and pointed you to the fix.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:06 PM   #7
JamesPeters

There are 2 shortcuts for starting Reaper (among others), installed in your Windows start menu, which would help in this situation.

"REAPER (show audio configuration on startup)"
"REAPER (reset configuration to factory defaults)"
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote